• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Someone on here from AAA or the AOA. Have a few Questions????

Started by WarriorFan, March 04, 2016, 09:17:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

3 Dollar

xadboy

itsslim

something needs to be done about the officiating. my team is currently 7-0 over the past 2 seasons in the play offs, with a game Saturday. So it's not about wins and losses. Its about holding officials accountable. And they do seem to cater to the star players

LAfootball fan

Quote from: itsslim on March 10, 2016, 08:43:01 am
something needs to be done about the officiating. my team is currently 7-0 over the past 2 seasons in the play offs, with a game Saturday. So it's not about wins and losses. Its about holding officials accountable. And they do seem to cater to the star players

Did it ever occur to you that the reason it seems refs cater to star players is because their talent level puts lesser players at a disadvantage to where they are having to slap, bump, grab, etc to try and keep up with them??

bluegrassboy75

Quote from: itsslim on March 10, 2016, 08:43:01 am

Your solution?

itsslim

the grading of officials for every game they officiate.

Ned_Flanders

Ned_Flanders

There is degrading of officials in every game.   If you don't believe me just ask Longfellow.

itsslim

no, don't know u or Longfellow, just gave my opinion of what should be done about the officials in Arkansas

adaptedtigerfan

itsslim

as I stated in my previous post I'm not a grader nor do I seek to be one, but I would grade officials on their performance during a game, the amount of fouls called between both teams, the professionalism, game management.

adaptedtigerfan

So are you saying that the fouls should be even in every game?

itsslim

adaptedtigerfan

Well that's about the worst answer I've ever heard.🤓

HorseFeathers

Quote from: adaptedtigerfan on March 10, 2016, 09:40:07 am
Well that's about the worst answer I've ever heard.🤓

Looks like someone is ducking questions...

Longfellow

That's the only way to know if you asked the right question

Lineman

adaptedtigerfan

itsslim

just now seeing your post LA fan, your words "cater to star players" "lesser player at a disadvantage" what is a lesser player? maybe a certain player can't score as much as another player, that doesn't make him a lesser player, he could still defend well, and not have to foul a" star" player. refs shouldn't cater to any player.

ReddieKnightTrojan

Quote from: itsslim on March 10, 2016, 10:03:35 am
just now seeing your post LA fan, your words "cater to star players" "lesser player at a disadvantage" what is a lesser player? maybe a certain player can't score as much as another player, that doesn't make him a lesser player, he could still defend well, and not have to foul a" star" player. refs shouldn't cater to any player.

You're right, but there is a shortage of refs, and the ones working are poorly trained. That leads to officials being swayed by coaches, crowds, etc. There was one call in a state tournament game that the official under the basket called and the coach said something to the sideline official and he ran over there and the other official let him change the call. It's all about angles, right?

itsslim

yes I agree, shortage of quality officials. Angles and being in position to make the correct call. no way a sideline official should over rule a official standing right on the the play and has a better angle. Saw 6a and 4a live this year. Saw Monk in state tourney including the finals last year, got a lot of favorable calls. Same way with Andre Jones from Malvern. Officials wouldn't let players touch him

LAfootball fan

Quote from: itsslim on March 10, 2016, 10:03:35 am

Has NOTHING to do with being able to score as much.  MOST of the time it is because a star player has the HANDLES to  continually put a defender in a bad position and FORCE them to reach, grab, hip check, etc to try and stay in front of them.  Reaves is a PERFECT example.  Watch his highlight tapes and you will see him just glide, glide, glide, and then bam make a move and just blow by the defender and now they are in catch up mode and they continuously foul trying to catch up or someone has to try and move over at the last minute to stop him and they get the foul call. 

It is what it is.  Now I am not saying officials don't miss some calls on star players because obviously it happens.  But in today's game, the OFFENSIVE player, WHOEVER it is gets the benefit of the doubt the majority of the time.   Now some officials will give defenders a little more leeway but overall officials are looking (anticipating) contact when the offensive player makes a move and generally a foul is called.   Teams that have aggressive players that drive the ball hard to the goal will shoot more free throws the majority of the time.  There is a reason announcers continuously harp on players taking it to the hole with authority.  EVERYONE knows the majority of the time a foul will be called on the drive or at the rim.  If you are a team that just passes it around the perimeter looking for an opening you had better be hitting a ton of outside shots because the odds of you being fouled are pretty low.

itsslim

yea I totally agree, I've seen highlights of reeves, Monk is the Same way.

ReddieKnightTrojan

A ton of fouls I've seen against Reaves are 30 feet from the basket. He forces officials to make calls. He initiates a lot of contact, even at the half court stripe. When teams trap, he dribbles through the oncoming help defender and 99 times out of 100, gets the call. What I personally saw was when he was called for a foul in that instance, he modified his technique and just avoided the oncoming defender by going the other way. He's a smart kid! A possible basketball genius.

bluegrassboy75

Quote from: itsslim on March 10, 2016, 09:11:06 am
the grading of officials for every game they officiate.

Ok, you said that.  Give me solutions. 

Who grades them?
What gets graded?
If coaches grade them, do they get to turn around and grade coaches?

You said that you don't want to be a grader.  Would you consider officiating?  If not, why?

adaptedtigerfan

Quote from: ReddieKnightTrojan on March 10, 2016, 12:19:21 pm
A ton of fouls I've seen against Reaves are 30 feet from the basket. He forces officials to make calls. He initiates a lot of contact, even at the half court stripe. When teams trap, he dribbles through the oncoming help defender and 99 times out of 100, gets the call. What I personally saw was when he was called for a foul in that instance, he modified his technique and just avoided the oncoming defender by going the other way. He's a smart kid! A possible basketball genius.

So he dribbles out of a trap and get 99 out of 100 fouls called?   I thought I read earlier that officials don't help him out....   That's a bail out.

ReddieKnightTrojan

Quote from: adaptedtigerfan on March 10, 2016, 01:05:19 pm
So he dribbles out of a trap and get 99 out of 100 fouls called?   I thought I read earlier that officials don't help him out....   That's a bail out.

He dribbles through the defender...not the same thing.

adaptedtigerfan

You are absolutely correct.   If the defender is standing there in a trap and he goes thru him..  It's an offensive foul.   The defender has just as much right to that spot as he does.

sevenof400

Here's something that bothers me about the direction of the game in general:

Quote from: LAfootball fan on March 10, 2016, 11:39:55 am
....But in today's game, the OFFENSIVE player, WHOEVER it is gets the benefit of the doubt the majority of the time.   Now some officials will give defenders a little more leeway but overall officials are looking (anticipating) contact when the offensive player makes a move and generally a foul is called.   Teams that have aggressive players that drive the ball hard to the goal will shoot more free throws the majority of the time.  There is a reason announcers continuously harp on players taking it to the hole with authority.  EVERYONE knows the majority of the time a foul will be called on the drive or at the rim.  If you are a team that just passes it around the perimeter looking for an opening you had better be hitting a ton of outside shots because the odds of you being fouled are pretty low.

I hate this trend because defense - good, hard honest defense - just isn't rewarded any more.  With the deemphasis on calling ball handling violations, the offense has far too much advantage - especially when driving to the basket.  The standard for ball handling is so low that players continuously carry and / or palm the ball on change of directions moves and it just isn't called nearly enough.  Defensive players need to be near statues to get a charge call unless the offensive player does something overtly silly (such as dropping a shoulder).

In general, I'd like to see more consideration given to the defender - whether that is achieved by tightening the ball handling rules or giving the defense more consideration in block / charge calls makes no matter to me.   

Ctucker

I've watched all the games today and refs have done a great job! So I don't won't to here I got cheated from anybody'

xadboy

Quote from: Ctucker on March 10, 2016, 09:50:15 pm
I've watched all the games today and refs have done a great job! So I don't won't to here I got cheated from anybody'
I've been cheated!!

Ctucker

xadboy

bluegrassboy75

Eagle20

Quote from: bluegrassboy75 on March 10, 2016, 01:01:19 pm
Ok, you said that.  Give me solutions. 

Who grades them?
What gets graded?
If coaches grade them, do they get to turn around and grade coaches?

You said that you don't want to be a grader.  Would you consider officiating?  If not, why?
Why would officials grade coaches?  Coaches are under a microscope from everyone in their community and administrators grade them.  Coaches grade officials in other states and it helps keep order.

bluegrassboy75

Quote from: Eagle20 on March 10, 2016, 11:52:20 pm
Why would officials grade coaches?  Coaches are under a microscope from everyone in their community and administrators grade them.  Coaches grade officials in other states and it helps keep order.

Why not?  Here's the way I look at it and I've spoken to both officials and coaches about it.

Why not have in place where the coaches do grade officials.  I'm fine with that.  And where officials grade coaches on professionalism and conduct on the court (that's all). 

My solution is a 24 hour period before grading can be made.  No one goes home while mad and grades.  If the game is on Tuesday night, the earliest the coach could grade would be Wednesday night.  Same for officials to coaches.  It doesn't have to affect the coaches' paychecks or school evaluation, but it goes to the AAA to grade for sportsmanship awards awarded after the season.

Is this the perfect solution?  No.  But it beats what we have in place right now.

Longfellow

RTF

Quote from: ReddieKnightTrojan on March 10, 2016, 12:19:21 pm

He plays smart. His Bball IQ is very high. He is also very explosive ( especially for 3A basketball) and defenders have to reach, instead of moving their feet which is what they should do,  to keep him from going around them.

Sick Dog

because it is all about money my friend.......the officials get up to $100 nights in the regular season and only like $40 to do state championship games because they are suppose to want to do it for the "prestige" of it to say I called the state championship game. and there are suppose to be regulations for setting for all tournaments but then again who has the most money gets the tournaments. That's the world we live in now and yes it is sad. but its the truth.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas