• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3A Top Ten Preseason

Started by BigMan15, September 15, 2015, 12:11:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMan15

With the season kicking off soon let's hear everyone's top ten.

Longfellow

1. ECS
2. Two Rivers
3. Cedar Ridge
4. Valley Springs
5. Charleston
6. Jessieville
7. Marshall
8. Osceola
9. Paris
10. Atkins (may sound weird, but they will surprise a lot of people this year)

Honorable Mention: Harding Academy. Always tough, just don't know anything about them yet

BigMan15

1. Ecs
2. Cedar Ridge
3. Valley Springs
4. Two Rivers
5. Charleston
6.Harding
7. Paris
8. Osceola
9. Smackover
10. Marshall

RTF

ECS will win state again, you heard it here first!

cdelaney

Quote from: RTF on September 15, 2015, 09:03:54 am
ECS will win state again, you heard it here first!
Lost their point guard and two time finals MVP; lost their top three big men who dominated the boards and shut down opponents' big men. They have two very good players returning, a third guard who will be good. And Michah Marsh. After that, all unproven.
So I would like to share your confidence but for now, I'll wait and see how the sophomores contribute.

WPWells

Actually I said it right after they won last year, so I didn't hear it from RTF first

PrivateLesson

Where's neds??   Isn't he one of the main ECS posters?? 

RTF

cdelany I hear ya but they will still win.. 12thman stroking his own ego as always.

cdelaney

Quote from: PrivateLesson on September 15, 2015, 10:18:57 am
Where's neds??   Isn't he one of the main ECS posters??
neds will be around before roundball starts I'm sure. I'll be interested to see if he agrees with my wait and see approach.

BigMan15

I actually don't think ECS wins it all this year. There depth and post play will hurt them bad!!!

Longfellow

I think as of now, it's a toss up. I don't think ECS is a clear cut favorite

RTF

Quote from: BigMan15 on September 15, 2015, 01:14:13 pm
I actually don't think ECS wins it all this year. There depth and post play will hurt them bad!!!

I would agree with you if it wasn't 3A roundball.. depth and post play not as big of an issue.

bdog32

I think ECS  is the favorite but not by a landslide again like the previous 2 years .    I heard harmony grove had some move ins.  Cedar Ridge has a move in.   Jessieville has a lot back.  I've also heard valley has had several quit this preseason.   Two rivers has a new coach but a lot back.  And Charleston is never bad.  The same can be said for harding.  The 3A looks to be tough this year. 

#EagleStrong

Quote from: Longfellow on September 15, 2015, 01:36:57 am
1. ECS
2. Two Rivers
3. Cedar Ridge
4. Valley Springs
5. Charleston
6. Jessieville
7. Marshall
8. Osceola
9. Paris
10. Atkins (may sound weird, but they will surprise a lot of people this year)

Honorable Mention: Harding Academy. Always tough, just don't know anything about them yet

Atkins had two projected starters move. They should still be tough with Jordan Vaughn and Chris Beard and the incoming sophomores.

b-ball fan

What 2 players from Atkins moved? I think Two Rivers will be very talented, but I don't see them as a top 2 team in state. They will battle for that distinction in the conference, but I don't see them finishing ahead of Charleston. Honestly don't see them finishing ahead of Paris either, but that is more of a toss-up.

#EagleStrong

Quote from: b-ball fan on September 15, 2015, 06:25:53 pm
What 2 players from Atkins moved? I think Two Rivers will be very talented, but I don't see them as a top 2 team in state. They will battle for that distinction in the conference, but I don't see them finishing ahead of Charleston. Honestly don't see them finishing ahead of Paris either, but that is more of a toss-up.

I don't have this verified, but I heard that Malik Pledger and Keagan Genzer moved.

Eagle20

Quote from: RTF on September 15, 2015, 01:30:24 pm

I would agree with you if it wasn't 3A roundball.. depth and post play not as big of an issue.
You don't have to worry about all 5 now, like last year.  They had posts this summer  but they are transfers and have to sit out the regular season.  My prediction is they will see a lot of junk defense on the 2 good ones.  He is going to have to coach harder than he ever has at ECS.  Still an odds on favorite.

Longfellow

Two Rivers returns Morgan Yates, Colby Whitlow, and Garot Brimm. They averaged a combined 42 points per game. Whitlow is the best perimeter defender in the conference. Paris loses Brandon Fenner, enough said. They won't be even close to as good without him. Charleston now has Fenner and brings back Michael Ward, but can they score enough with Jackson Rowland as a likely third option. Two Rivers should be the favorite with Charleston in 2nd and Paris 3rd.

BigCatMan

I'll be a homer here for West Fork. Not sure about top ten but gonna be solid. They return their twin towers in Johnson (6'6") and Cody Roebke (6'5"). That is a tough tandem along with all energy, shifty, scorer Ryan Roebke,  thy are all seniors. They are going have 2 senior football players who are very athletic along with their returning Junior PG Hays. Gonna be a very physical team that will create some mismatch nightmares.

b-ball fan

Quote from: Longfellow on September 15, 2015, 08:39:50 pm
Two Rivers returns Morgan Yates, Colby Whitlow, and Garot Brimm. They averaged a combined 42 points per game. Whitlow is the best perimeter defender in the conference. Paris loses Brandon Fenner, enough said. They won't be even close to as good without him. Charleston now has Fenner and brings back Michael Ward, but can they score enough with Jackson Rowland as a likely third option. Two Rivers should be the favorite with Charleston in 2nd and Paris 3rd.

Like I said Two Rivers will be super talented! Chuck has won how many conference titles in a row? When has Two Rivers finished top 2? That's not to say they can't! They have the talent to win it, but it's Charleston's conference to win until someone knocks them off. How many times including last year has someone thought they had jumped off chuck only to find out charleston reloaded. I lm not a charleston fan, and I hope someone ends the streak soon enougn. But to say someone else is the favorite is just being a homer!

Longfellow

Quote from: BigCatMan on September 15, 2015, 09:16:56 pm
I'll be a homer here for West Fork. Not sure about top ten but gonna be solid. They return their twin towers in Johnson (6'6") and Cody Roebke (6'5"). That is a tough tandem along with all energy, shifty, scorer Ryan Roebke,  thy are all seniors. They are going have 2 senior football players who are very athletic along with their returning Junior PG Hays. Gonna be a very physical team that will create some mismatch nightmares.
I'm not calling west fork top 10, but they will be a tough out for anyone

#EagleStrong

September 15, 2015, 11:13:43 pm #21 Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 11:23:38 pm by #EagleStrong

Didn't have Fenner in Jr. High, how'd that work out for you? Don't act like this bunch was nothing before he walked into our gym. They won back-to-back Jr. High championships, neither with Fenner, keeping that core group intact, and the junior group dominated the conference, albeit capitalizing on Charleston moving up Fenner to Sr. High. They return two all-conference players in Wyatt Nehus and Gage Hampton, Nehus being a two-time all-conference selection, as well as a third returning starter in Talik Robinson. Clearly Paris isn't better without Fenner, that would be a ridiculous statement, but it's no more ridiculous than a statement like "No Fenner, 'nuff said." Plus, you had us a No. 9 in your own top ten, so thanks for giving us some credit.

I'll even defend Charleston. I don't know if you have the interior game to match Michael Ward. Yes, Cano has a skill set that helps, but Ward's athleticism is something you might not have an answer for right now. Even with Jones and Hudson, a player with a similar skill set in Hampton had his biggest games of the season against you last year. And if you don't think Jackson Rowland is a scoring threat, then just leave him open on the perimeter. Wade Gerlick, Chase Ewing, and Phillip Hampton give them some good options as well.

I'll grant you, you're still the likely favorite, but not a prohibitive favorite. You finished third in the conference last year and lost one of your best players in Logan Jones with no heir apparent there to fill his role. It's likely a three team race, with a dark horse in Atkins thrown in. You get an edge because of the strength of your explosive back court, but you might have some issues in terms of front court production and depth. Charleston, Paris, Atkins, and even Lamar all have players that can capitalize on any weaknesses in the interior (Ward, Hampton, Vaughn, Kern). I still expect you to make some noise this year in 3A as a whole, but the conference is tough, again, so you'll be tested for sure.

On the plus side we could put together a pretty sweet all-conference team, right?

Colby Whitlow, Morgan Yates, Garrott Brimm, Brandon Fenner, Michael Ward, Gage Hampton, Wyatt Nehus, Jordan Vaughn, Chris Beard, Blake Kern, Zederic Lee, Jake Madding, Matt Carter.

#EagleStrong

Quote from: BigMan15 on September 15, 2015, 02:10:12 am
1. Ecs
2. Cedar Ridge
3. Valley Springs
4. Two Rivers
5. Charleston
6.Harding
7. Paris
8. Osceola
9. Smackover
10. Marshall

If Jordan Jones plays for Smackover.

BigMan, what do you think of the other southern teams like Drew Central and Centerpoint? DC was young last year and knocked off McGehee in the regular season. CP won their conference and returns their best players supposedly.

BigMan15

I haven't got to see a lot of those teams although CP should be good and if Jordan doesn't play then who knows.

BigMan15

Quote from: Eagle20 on September 15, 2015, 06:40:44 pm

You don't have to worry about all 5 now, like last year.  They had posts this summer  but they are transfers and have to sit out the regular season.  My prediction is they will see a lot of junk defense on the 2 good ones.  He is going to have to coach harder than he ever has at ECS.  Still an odds on favorite.
Tell us about these transfers

BigMan15

Quote from: #EagleStrong on September 15, 2015, 11:13:43 pm

Didn't have Fenner in Jr. High, how'd that work out for you? Don't act like this bunch was nothing before he walked into our gym. They won back-to-back Jr. High championships, neither with Fenner, keeping that core group intact, and the junior group dominated the conference, albeit capitalizing on Charleston moving up Fenner to Sr. High. They return two all-conference players in Wyatt Nehus and Gage Hampton, Nehus being a two-time all-conference selection, as well as a third returning starter in Talik Robinson. Clearly Paris isn't better without Fenner, that would be a ridiculous statement, but it's no more ridiculous than a statement like "No Fenner, 'nuff said." Plus, you had us a No. 9 in your own top ten, so thanks for giving us some credit.

I'll even defend Charleston. I don't know if you have the interior game to match Michael Ward. Yes, Cano has a skill set that helps, but Ward's athleticism is something you might not have an answer for right now. Even with Jones and Hudson, a player with a similar skill set in Hampton had his biggest games of the season against you last year. And if you don't think Jackson Rowland is a scoring threat, then just leave him open on the perimeter. Wade Gerlick, Chase Ewing, and Phillip Hampton give them some good options as well.

I'll grant you, you're still the likely favorite, but not a prohibitive favorite. You finished third in the conference last year and lost one of your best players in Logan Jones with no heir apparent there to fill his role. It's likely a three team race, with a dark horse in Atkins thrown in. You get an edge because of the strength of your explosive back court, but you might have some issues in terms of front court production and depth. Charleston, Paris, Atkins, and even Lamar all have players that can capitalize on any weaknesses in the interior (Ward, Hampton, Vaughn, Kern). I still expect you to make some noise this year in 3A as a whole, but the conference is tough, again, so you'll be tested for sure.

On the plus side we could put together a pretty sweet all-conference team, right?

Colby Whitlow, Morgan Yates, Garrott Brimm, Brandon Fenner, Michael Ward, Gage Hampton, Wyatt Nehus, Jordan Vaughn, Chris Beard, Blake Kern, Zederic Lee, Jake Madding, Matt Carter.
Jr high between Paris Charleston and Two Rivers were all pretty good games. The year with Fenner Paris and Charleston split and Charleston went 2-1 with Two Rivers. Now the difference being no Chase Ewing and Wisdom which both will make an impact this year also for Paris they had one move that started but the question is who has progressed more. Fenner is the only returning All State player in the conference which I think that gives Charleston the edge. But it will be close.

cdelaney

Maybe not as much as in larger classes, but losing the twins and their backup post will make a big difference for ECS. I don't know how much you saw ECS last year, but you can't overstate how much the bigs dominated the boards and defended the inside. There were games with only 1-2 offensive rebounds by opponents, at least till garbage time.
So I'm not saying you have to have great post play to win in 3A, but if you do, it helps you win when your shots aren't dropping. Bottom line, ECS will not be as good this year. They have a few sophomores who could improve enough through the season to help, but you never know how much until they play in varsity situations. I wouldn't take ECS off of the list of teams that could win it all this year, but, unlike past 2 years, they are just one of many.
As far as transfers, one big man from LR Christian, good player, about 6'6", will sit out, so won't be playing while Robinson and Freeman are still here. Don't know about a 2nd transfer?

Head Lion

No respect for my Lions, return 3 starters off a state tourney team. We have had two 6'4" transfers, a real good group of sophs. 3 saw action in postseason last year as freshman and a coach proven to get the most of what he has. We are still a year away from serious consideration, but feel good about a possible run in postseason. Plus 2 freshman that will move up at end of year, that are dandies.

Longfellow

I thought I had them in there, it seems I forgot

BigMan15

Quote from: cdelaney on September 16, 2015, 12:03:26 pm

Maybe not as much as in larger classes, but losing the twins and their backup post will make a big difference for ECS. I don't know how much you saw ECS last year, but you can't overstate how much the bigs dominated the boards and defended the inside. There were games with only 1-2 offensive rebounds by opponents, at least till garbage time.
So I'm not saying you have to have great post play to win in 3A, but if you do, it helps you win when your shots aren't dropping. Bottom line, ECS will not be as good this year. They have a few sophomores who could improve enough through the season to help, but you never know how much until they play in varsity situations. I wouldn't take ECS off of the list of teams that could win it all this year, but, unlike past 2 years, they are just one of many.
As far as transfers, one big man from LR Christian, good player, about 6'6", will sit out, so won't be playing while Robinson and Freeman are still here. Don't know about a 2nd transfer?
names please

cdelaney

Quote from: BigMan15 on September 16, 2015, 02:15:24 pm
Quote from: cdelaney on September 16, 2015, 12:03:26 pm

names please
not my place to put in a name; kid won't play this year anyway.

BigMan15

The only one I can think of that's a Jr that's 6-6 or bigger from LR Christian is ibraham Ali...is that him?

Eagle20

Don't know names but the big white kid started for LRCA last year as a sophomore.  He is right at 6'6". The other one was pointed out to me in summer league but I am not positive he was a transfer.  I guess that was more hearsay. 

Eagle20

1. Ecs
2. Cedar Ridge
3. Valley Springs
4. Two Rivers
5. Charleston
6.Harding
7. Paris
8. Osceola
9. Smackover
10. Marshall
you are making a big mistake leaving Jessieville out of your top 10.  They will be a top 5 team.  They return all 3 guards, one being an all state player that had 4 or 5 35 point games, one of those being VS ECS, a 6'4" post who is a great athlete, a 6''6" post who had a really good post season and an ultra talented sophomore group coming up.  I believe he will also move his freshman son up who is a heckuva player and played big minutes on the Wings Elite team at his age level. 

bobcats

Quote from: Eagle20 on September 16, 2015, 09:42:15 pm
1. Ecs
2. Cedar Ridge
3. Valley Springs
4. Two Rivers
5. Charleston
6.Harding
7. Paris
8. Osceola
9. Smackover
10. Marshall
you are making a big mistake leaving Jessieville out of your top 10.  They will be a top 5 team.  They return all 3 guards, one being an all state player that had 4 or 5 35 point games, one of those being VS ECS, a 6'4" post who is a great athlete, a 6''6" post who had a really good post season and an ultra talented sophomore group coming up.  I believe he will also move his freshman son up who is a heckuva player and played big minutes on the Wings Elite team at his age level.

Who is this 6'4 great athlete and 6'6 post players you speak of.  I am very familiar with many of the Jessieville players and have no idea who you are referrng to.  Do we know if the point guard has returned?  Over the summer he was not around and the thought was he would not be back.

Eagle20

Steven Benson, is the 6'4" post who played WR last year in football and plays quarterback this year.  Good looking kid and started many games last year.  The 6'6" kid did not play much in the regular season but had a really good post season when Benson was hurt.  He has to way at least 260.  I am not talking about Big Johnny either.  That kid graduated and weighed at least 290.  They will miss him.

Eagle20

I haven't heard about the point guard leaving.  Another kid who did not play last year because he made the U.S. National rugby team may play again and he is a very good basketball player.  His name is Reuben Dehaas. 

bobcats

Stephen is a great kid from a great family.  The 6'6 post you mentioned was a sr last year.  Ruben also is a good kid who would help them should he decide to play. 

BigMan15

Tbh I forgot about Jesseville I would have them #3 and bump everyone..

cdelaney

Quote from: BigMan15 on September 16, 2015, 05:09:34 pm
The only one I can think of that's a Jr that's 6-6 or bigger from LR Christian is ibraham Ali...is that him?
no

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: #EagleStrong on September 15, 2015, 11:22:02 pm
1. Ecs
2. Cedar Ridge
3. Valley Springs
4. Two Rivers
5. Charleston
6.Harding
7. Paris
8. Osceola
9. Smackover
10. Marshall

If Jordan Jones plays for Smackover.

BigMan, what do you think of the other southern teams like Drew Central and Centerpoint? DC was young last year and knocked off McGehee in the regular season. CP won their conference and returns their best players supposedly.

As I know of right now. Jordan Jones will not be playing basketball this season.

bdog32

1. ECS
2. Jessieville
3. Valley Springs
4. Two Rivers
5. Harding Academy
6. Charleston
7. Marshall
8. Cedar Ridge
9. Benton Harmony Grove
10. Manilla

That's this old mans  predictions.  Some of it based on how teams finished last year and who has been mentioned above and who has move ins. 

Longfellow

Harmony Grove has a lot to replace. I'm not sure they are up to the task

WPWells

Charleston has a player named Altair Ibn La'Ahad who I hear is a stud

Silky Johnson

Heard he was a deadly assassin on the floor.

Longfellow

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on September 18, 2015, 02:59:17 pm
Charleston has a player named Altair Ibn La'Ahad who I hear is a stud
Wow! I thought you were serious until I reread that

#EagleStrong

Quote from: Longfellow on September 18, 2015, 02:00:25 pm
Harmony Grove has a lot to replace. I'm not sure they are up to the task

They relied so much on Drake Wilks last year. Without him Haskell- Don't Call Me Benton-Harmony Grove will likely struggle in a conference that includes ECS and Jessieville. The rest of that conference looks to be down, so who knows. Still don't think they're a top ten team, or even particularly close to one for that matter.

#EagleStrong

I'm gonna break the rules and attempt a top 20. Let me know if I forgot someone I shouldn't have. This is assuming Jones doesn't play.

1. Episcopal Collegiate Wildcats
2. Cedar Ridge Timberwolves
3. Jessieville Lions
4. Valley Springs Tigers
5. Two Rivers Gators
6. Charleston Tigers
7. Centerpoint Knights
8. Marshall Bobcats
9. Manila Lions
10. Paris Eagles
11. Harding Academy Wildcats
12. Osceola Seminoles
13. West Fork Tigers
14. Marianna Lee Trojans
15. Drew Central Pirates
16. Greenland Pirates
17. Atkins Red Devils
18. Flippin Bobcats
19. Yellville-Summit Panthers
20. Smackover Buckaroos

Bergman1820

I am a Valley Springs fan, but I don't see how some of you can have them ranked so high when basically the only experience they have coming back is Hogue and Saunders.

Basketballfan13

Valley will compete well in district because they are going to play hard and pressure like craxy but definitely not a top 5 team I wouldn't think.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas