• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Week 1 of conference play

Started by Rob Van Winkle, September 18, 2018, 08:12:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Van Winkle

September 18, 2018, 08:12:42 am Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 09:14:03 am by Rob Van Winkle
Some good games to open conference play for the Central and West.

Bryant @ FSNS-NS defense is very good and offense has speed. Can Bryant rebound from a tough loss last week?
Catholic @ Cabot-Catholic off to a 3-0 start but they have not really played anyone so hard to tell much. Benton ran all over Cabot last week and Catholic has a strong running game with SJ.
Conway @ FSSS-SS is explosive on offense but questionable on D. Conway has played well so far under new coach Fimp.

HB @ BV-2 of the 3 teams generally in the hunt for a conference title. HB has bounced back with a couple of nice road wins. BV is 0-3 but has played the 2nd toughest non-con schedule behind NLR.
BVW @ FV-FV looking impressive after a tough road win at Bryant. Not sure of their QB status but if he is out they will struggle. Just can't replace talent like that. BVW is trying to figure things out after losing their QB.
VB @ Rogers-Not what I consider a big game but the winner will more than likely make the playoffs and the loser won't.

Walter

FSNS at Bryant It is at Bryant. I like our chances although they have always been our nemesis team.

Rob Van Winkle

Can't trust the FF schedules.......

Brian G

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on September 18, 2018, 01:33:47 pm
Can't trust the FF schedules.......
FYI, I don't do the legwork to put them in (the AAA provides the data) but each week before Friday I personally cross check the schedule with other sources. I find those that are different than ours are right about 40% of the time to our 60%.  Two weeks ago, 7 were different and we we have 5 right, 2 wrong.

I always hope people will let me know when they see it, but that's rare.  But eventually, I catch it. :)

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: B.G. on September 18, 2018, 05:20:35 pm
FYI, I don't do the legwork to put them in (the AAA provides the data) but each week before Friday I personally cross check the schedule with other sources. I find those that are different than ours are right about 40% of the time to our 60%.  Two weeks ago, 7 were different and we we have 5 right, 2 wrong.

I always hope people will let me know when they see it, but that's rare.  But eventually, I catch it. :)

It's all good BG. Just giving you a hard time. Appreciate all you do on FF!!!

Rob Van Winkle

I heard FV QB will be out a few weeks. Without him the game against BVW will be a challenge. Not sure who their backup is but you don't replace someone like Bowers in a week. The next 2 games after that shouldn't be an issue for the Purple Dogs but they have BV after that.

STBruin

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on September 19, 2018, 12:04:51 pm
I heard FV QB will be out a few weeks. Without him the game against BVW will be a challenge. Not sure who their backup is but you don't replace someone like Bowers in a week. The next 2 games after that shouldn't be an issue for the Purple Dogs but they have BV after that.

hate it when a kid gets hurt, but from watching him against Bryant...if you can stop him hurting you with his feet...he isnt going to beat you with his arm...but I will admit, that was just from watching him last Friday. Both QBs in that game...did not look good at all....

sportsguy80

Quote from: STBruin on September 19, 2018, 03:29:09 pm
hate it when a kid gets hurt, but from watching him against Bryant...if you can stop him hurting you with his feet...he isnt going to beat you with his arm...but I will admit, that was just from watching him last Friday. Both QBs in that game...did not look good at all....
So would any credit go out to either defense for their lack of performances? I ask because both are proven qbs with pretty decent defenses. I hate hear that about the injury but it's good to know he'll return. Does anyone have word on BV West qb return?

HarBer Dad

Anyone else heard they might be playing games tomorrow night because of the weather expected Friday?

sportsguy80

Quote from: HarBer Dad on September 19, 2018, 06:24:52 pm
Anyone else heard they might be playing games tomorrow night because of the weather expected Friday?
I just saw them mentioned it on the news due to potential storms this weekend. You would think if any schedule changes are going to be made by today.

Brian G

Oklahoma doing it a bit.  I'm sure Jr High will play Thur and they'll fight through Friday for HS games.

tj1987

September 20, 2018, 11:32:23 am #11 Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:34:54 am by tj1987
Thats funny wonder if we we were watching the same game?  Fay QB had to adapt with his legs because he isa PASS FIRST QB 100%- and uses his arm to set up his occasional runs not vise versa.. Over the last 15 games he is 319/499 64% for 4374 yrds with 42td's and only 7 int's over 130 qb rating this year.  Thats in 7A football against top level competition. No teams like LR fair or Beebe on the schedule. He made adjustments based on what the defense was giving, which resulted in 18/31 200yds passing and 2 td's no picks and over 100 yards rushing with 2 TD's. 4 td's and not impressive?  Maybe you didnt see the throw over the middle on the skinny post where he put it into a window about 2 feet square that went for about 75yards?  Or the ball he dropped right over the defender in the corner of the end zone for a score just in bounds.  Or the throw to the RB on 4th and 4 that was completely covered.  Watch the highlights again I think you might rethink your position. Also Bryant used 3 qb's in the game.

tj1987

Quote from: sportsguy80 on September 19, 2018, 04:09:07 pm
So would any credit go out to either defense for their lack of performances? I ask because both are proven qbs with pretty decent defenses. I hate hear that about the injury but it's good to know he'll return. Does anyone have word on BV West qb return?
BV West QB out for the season is what I am hearing.

tj1987

September 20, 2018, 11:38:31 am #13 Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 01:05:09 pm by tj1987
Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on September 19, 2018, 12:04:51 pm

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: tj1987 on September 20, 2018, 11:32:23 am
Thats funny wonder if we we were watching the same game?  Fay QB had to adapt with his legs because he isa PASS FIRST QB 100%- and uses his arm to set up his occasional runs not vise versa.. Over the last 15 games he is 319/499 64% for 4374 yrds with 42td's and only 7 int's over 130 qb rating this year.  Thats in 7A football against top level competition. No teams like LR fair or Beebe on the schedule. He made adjustments based on what the defense was giving, which resulted in 18/31 200yds passing and 2 td's no picks and over 100 yards rushing with 2 TD's. 4 td's and not impressive?  Maybe you didnt see the throw over the middle on the skinny post where he put it into a window about 2 feet square that went for about 75yards?  Or the ball he dropped right over the defender in the corner of the end zone for a score just in bounds.  Or the throw to the RB on 4th and 4 that was completely covered.  Watch the highlights again I think you might rethink your position. Also Bryant used 3 qb's in the game.

Why did Bryant use 3 QB's? Is something wrong with Hefley?

Also you are dead on about Bowers. Pass first and run as needed. Kid has made a ton of improvement over the past few years and is an outstanding QB. If FV gets by West without him they won't need him for the next couple of games.

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: tj1987 on September 20, 2018, 11:37:21 am
Heard the same thing. That will hurt them.

tj1987

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on September 20, 2018, 11:44:56 am
Why did Bryant use 3 QB's? Is something wrong with Hefley?

Also you are dead on about Bowers. Pass first and run as needed. Kid has made a ton of improvement over the past few years and is an outstanding QB. If FV gets by West without him they won't need him for the next couple of games.
Thank you sir.  They used Austin Ledbetter some and I think it was a QB that wore #8 on a play or 2.

RamblinWest

Quote from: tj1987 on September 20, 2018, 11:37:21 am

Will had surgery two weeks ago in an effort to get back on the field this season.   Hopefully he will get another opportunity to play on a Friday night.

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: RamblinWest on September 20, 2018, 02:16:28 pm
Will had surgery two weeks ago in an effort to get back on the field this season.   Hopefully he will get another opportunity to play on a Friday night.
I certainly hope does make it back on the field this year. A hard working, high character young man. Great things are in store for him at the next level.

businesstron

Dude can throw.  He can run a little bit too but he can sling that thang.  Go up on youtube and look at the Fayetteville vs Owasso game from this year.  He had around 400 yards pass.   Heck you can look at almost any game from last year and see he can throw the ball.  I didn't see enough of the Bryant game but I did see that was his worst statistical game.  But let's be real he's played Bryant 3 times in the span of a year and they have a good defense.  The stat line doesn't lie. 

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/darius-bowers/zUC-z4wAEeW-8KA2nzwbTA/gendersport/football-stats.htm#year=18-19

Brian G

Just an outstanding kid as well. Very humble.

Razorback Red

Nice road win for West.  I heard it rained hard most of the game.  Hate it that both teams played without key players.  Would not shock me if they meet again in Nov in the playoffs.  Would love to see that game with Bowers and Jarrett both healthy. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas