• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bentonville earns back-to-back MaxPreps Cups for 2014, 2015 - top HS athletic program in the nation

Started by OPoraquê, July 22, 2014, 10:01:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

OPoraquê

Congratulations to the Tigers.

Last year Bentonville and Fayetteville finished in the top 25 for this award...they were the only two schools from the same conference in the top 25.  I think Bennie finished 15th.  BHS finished in the top 20 for the 2011-12 school year in the inaugural year for this award.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/lxSSbEA9FkSuuu_E7a7-vw/bentonville-wins-2013-14-maxpreps-cup-title.htm

Baitshop

OPoraquê

Baitshop, any day that Bentonville beats President Obama's alma mater The Punahou School (which DID win girl's water polo titles, something far beyond Bennie's reach) is a GOOD day in my opinion.

mack

Quote from: Baitshop on July 22, 2014, 10:07:15 am
Thank God for equestrian, synchronized swimming and polo....

Yes, but can they differentiate between the sound of a 9mm and a .45 round?    Can they handle a big 40 oz with one hand while driving in the hood?  Can they slip something illicit thru the metal detectors at the school?  Heck, I bet they don't even have metal detectors.....  They can't hang with us NLR-ians in these really important sports.

Brian G

Brian G

However, congratulations.

I always thought these kind of things should have a weighted balance with the major sports carrying more weight.

OPoraquê

Quote from: B.G. on July 22, 2014, 10:33:08 am
However, congratulations.

I always thought these kind of things should have a weighted balance with the major sports carrying more weight.

Thanks, B.G.  They had talked in generalities of their formula before.  Just interesting to see Bentonville be awarded the honor.

The 2013-14 school year is over.  Now onto life and the future.

7AFBFAN

Very impressive, congratulation to these kids and the overall sports program at Bennie!

Spaulding

Quote from: B.G. on July 22, 2014, 10:32:03 am
Why does the logo contain all 3 of the "big sports"?

Except that at Bentonville, baseball isn't/shouldn't be considered a "big sport".  In my opinion, B'ville's baseball program is the most underachieving program in not just athletics but in all of the extracirricular areas.  If, given the demographics, raw numbers, proven success in other sports - the baseball program is severely lacking.  And I have no dog in the hunt other than as a fan......

RTF

OPoraquê

Speaking of "maxes", Bentonville (including their football sc in December 2014) is now at #2 in the nation in the MaxPreps Cup standings for the fall season alone (getting a picture of a girl's basketball player on the story to boot, even though the girls won't be playing for an sc).  Razorback Red, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Tigers have since won scs in boys and girls indoor track, boys and girls swimming and will finish no worse than runner-up (MaxPreps looks at that) next weekend in the boys' basketball championship game.  What put Bentonville over the top last year was its four scs in the spring sports; don't know how those are looking this season but they've already got nine state championships which is what they won the Cup with last season.

One thing that I haven't seen discussed elsewhere on this board though it probably has and I've just missed it  :) : there are going to be a LOT of coaches, not just the football ones, who breathe a sigh of relief when Bennie West opens its doors in a couple of years.

ricepig

Yawn, you beat up on schools much smaller than you, quite the accomplishment.

OPoraquê

Ricepig, I never beat up on Jonesboro now, do I? (Nor have I ever put down any other school here, in- or out-of-state.)  And in case you hadn't noticed there has been a LOT (emphasis on "lot") of talent in the 7A west where most of these wins have come from.  Fayetteville finished in the top 25 of this same list two years ago, for what it's worth.  I meant to add (and should have, shame on me) that I think it's a GOOD thing that, hopefully, a lot of Arkansas high school sports races beside football may be wide open (as they usually are anyway, aren't they?) in two years.

ricepig

Quote from: OPoraquê on March 10, 2015, 11:15:24 am
Ricepig, I never beat up on Jonesboro now, do I? (Nor have I ever put down any other school here, in- or out-of-state.)  And in case you hadn't noticed there has been a LOT (emphasis on "lot") of talent in the 7A west where most of these wins have come from.  Fayetteville finished in the top 25 of this same list two years ago, for what it's worth.  I meant to add (and should have, shame on me) that I think it's a GOOD thing that, hopefully, a lot of Arkansas high school sports races beside football may be wide open (as they usually are anyway, aren't they?) in two years.

I think my point was that these state championships are helped immensely by having a student population that's much larger than their competitors. Do you disagree?

OPoraquê

Ricepig, understood.  As of last year the Northwest Arkansas metropolitan area is growing at the rate of 24 people a day in a 500,000 person metro area.  North Little Rock (not in conference, but not an uncommon BHS opponent, which BHS may not be able to do a thing against this Saturday) and the 7A W schools are all (counting freshmen) multi-thousand student schools though certainly not as big as BHS.  Same with many of BHS' out-of-state opponents.  Bentonville alone far and away doesn't make the 7A West (and its strong reputation).

It's all good.  The now-departed Billyo62 had always said this wasn't going to last for BHS.  It's been fun while it did, and it will be great to see who steps up (though many probably assign that crown in most sports to Fayetteville; more power to them if they do).  Since moving away from NWA I've happened to meet more than one Bentonville alumni who remembered their town from the early 70s, and recall shaking their heads at people then who thought the city was going to grow to amazing levels some day.

ricepig

No problem, I think both Bentonville schools will be competitive in the future, but numbers help, no doubt. It also helps to have the demographics to support the minor sports, as they usually rely on more outside "support".

OPoraquê

WPWells

Razorback Red

Quote from: OPoraquê on March 10, 2015, 10:19:12 am
Speaking of "maxes", Bentonville (including their football sc in December 2014) is now at #2 in the nation in the MaxPreps Cup standings for the fall season alone (getting a picture of a girl's basketball player on the story to boot, even though the girls won't be playing for an sc).  Razorback Red, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Tigers have since won scs in boys and girls indoor track, boys and girls swimming and will finish no worse than runner-up (MaxPreps looks at that) next weekend in the boys' basketball championship game.  What put Bentonville over the top last year was its four scs in the spring sports; don't know how those are looking this season but they've already got nine state championships which is what they won the Cup with last season.

One thing that I haven't seen discussed elsewhere on this board though it probably has and I've just missed it  :) : there are going to be a LOT of coaches, not just the football ones, who breathe a sigh of relief when Bennie West opens its doors in a couple of years.

Very true.  Thanks for digging this up.

I remember the days when Bentonville couldn't compete with Rogers, Springdale and Fayetteville in any sport.  We played a lot of homecoming games back in the day.  From those days to what we have now is unbelievable.  Will Bentonville take a step back after the split, absolutely, but I do think we will be more competitive in the 3 main sports than some of you think.  This town now knows what it feels like to win and likes it; who wouldn't.  We might even find a way to win at a very high level every few years.  It will be fun to watch for sure, and for those of us that can remember the good ole days, this new Bentonville will still be miles ahead of where we were 20 years ago. 

OPoraquê

Bentonville is now in the lead for the MaxPreps cup after the Winter tabulations, and in the spring sports BHS has already won girl's track, finished runner-up in boy's track and will at least be runner-up in two other sports.  If Bennie can become the first ever multi-time and back-to-back Cup winner in that award's young history, cool.

But I'd rather say to Spaulding that it's also great that Bennie didn't underachieve in baseball this season (and I know you weren't meaning it as an insult as you're a big black-and-gold Tiger fan as well).  Reaching the state title game in football, boy's basketball and baseball the same school year is a rare accomplishment for any school at any level.

It's been a fun ride no matter how next weekend's boy's soccer and baseball s c games turn out.  A year from this August, Bennie Unified will be, as

Thank you all for the memories for this season and the last pre-split one to come.

Valleysports

Going with ricepigs point - it's the Goliath Award?  It's cool that an Arkansas School is getting recognized, but it's kinda like when Shiloh Football was ranked as the top team in the nation - Arkansas Residents knew.  However - Bentonville can't help that the schools, they play, have 1/2 as many students to pick athletes from, so Congratulations!!!

Razorback Red

Henry Apple just tweeted breaking news:

"Bentonville wins it's second straight MaxPreps Cup, which honors the nations top overall athletic program"

Huge kudos to the entire program, our Super, AD and all the Coaches, athletes, teachers, parents  and boosters.  Go Tigers!!

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/article.aspx?articleid=89da34e0-e6d8-441a-89cb-9f6630df1b4a

TigerHawg

Quote from: Razorback Red on July 31, 2015, 06:36:19 am
Henry Apple just tweeted breaking news:

"Bentonville wins it's second straight MaxPreps Cup, which honors the nations top overall athletic program"

Huge kudos to the entire program, our Super, AD and all the Coaches, athletes, teachers, parents  and boosters.  Go Tigers!!

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/article.aspx?articleid=89da34e0-e6d8-441a-89cb-9f6630df1b4a

WHOOT!

WPWells

piggy

Congrats on allowing your school to get so large that overwhelms the rest of the 7-A.

Not having the foresight to envision your spilt, and not being able to come up with a realistic millage increase, along with Walton money has allowed Bentonville High School to become the Goliath of  Arkansas.

It is shameful and should not be rewarded.

Kids are missing out in the Bentonville district and people are rejoicing.

A very sad situation.

ricepig

Quote from: piggy on July 31, 2015, 07:12:17 pm
Congrats on allowing your school to get so large that overwhelms the rest of the 7-A.

Not having the foresight to envision your spilt, and not being able to come up with a realistic millage increase, along with Walton money has allowed Bentonville High School to become the Goliath of  Arkansas.

A very sad situation.

Something's sad, but I don't think it's Bentonville in most poster's mind.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: piggy on July 31, 2015, 07:12:17 pm

A very sad situation.

Guess someone missed the announcement of Bentonville west

Razorback Red

Not sure why he goes on every thread and says the same thing.   

To say Bville overwhelms the 7A is a complete slap in the face to several great teams.  Fville had the lead late in the game against Bville in the football title game and could have won that game.  The NLR boys bball team beat Bville in the title game with a great effort by 3 really high-level players.  The Conway baseball team took Bville to the final out and had a chance to win that game. 

There are several elite 7A programs in this state and we should all be proud of all of them and the way they represent AR.  Seeing Bentonville win this award is a testament to how far our little state has come in overall athletic programs over the past 10 years. 

OPoraquê

Quote from: Razorback Red on July 31, 2015, 10:38:07 pm

To say Bville overwhelms the 7A is a complete slap in the face to several great teams.  Fville had the lead late in the game against Bville in the football title game and could have won that game.  The NLR boys bball team beat Bville in the title game with a great effort by 3 really high-level players.  The Conway baseball team took Bville to the final out and had a chance to win that game. 

There are several elite 7A programs in this state and we should all be proud of all of them and the way they represent AR.  Seeing Bentonville win this award is a testament to how far our little state has come in overall athletic programs over the past 10 years.

Well said, Razorback Red.

In the meantime, BHS became the first back-to-back as well as the first multi-time winner of the MaxPreps Cup in that award's young history.  BHS may never see one again, competing against 14,000 high schools, so it's a reminder of the blessings this high school has had.  It was also a bit surprising to see that Bentonville's 10 state championships were the most of any high school in the nation this past season.

(BTW, to those, including the Walton Family, who announced last week that an east coast-style prep school is coming to Bentonville, fine.  We may not recognize this city some day.  But notice that a bunch of those same type of prep schools finished behind BHS for this particular award these past two school years.  Be thankful for what you've had.)

spurrr

TigerHawg

People are also blind to the fact these boys (all of the kids in prep sports , not just B'ville) work hard to train year round.  You can only buy so much, you have to have talented athletes to go the distance. Also we have to remember they also have a top academic program in Bentonville. Complain all they want, the kids are getting a great education which is the whole point.

Baitshop

And no one else's kids work hard year round and get a quality education...??

Maclin on your girl

TigerHawg

Quote from: Baitshop on August 03, 2015, 09:39:31 am

Not sure where it says that? I think your missing the point. Yes the boosters donations help, no denying that,  but I was a part of a small country school with about 50 players total. We used old weight benches set up in the bus barn, and we won titles. It had to do with effort and hard work, not money spent on the program. My point is money is a small part of success of these teams, weather it be Bentonville, Fayetteville, or any other team. Good coaching and a strong work ethic on the field wins games.

Valleysports

Quote from: TigerHawg on August 03, 2015, 06:46:49 am

People are also blind to the fact these boys work hard to train year round.  You can only buy so much, you have to have talented athletes to go the distance. Also we have to remember they also have a top academic program in Bentonville. Complain all they want, the kids are getting a great education which is the whole point.

Bville boys work hard to train year round?  Fayetteville, Southside, Har Ber, don't?  Comments like this is why Piggy points out the negative.  You can only buy so much talent? I think Piggy was pointing out that actually out of 4000 students, you can pick out 4 times as many with talent.  The kids are getting a great education which is the point ...... actually he was pointing out that 47 students per teacher isn't the best academic atmosphere - thus the need for a new school years ago.  No matter what the case may be, it's an honor to receive such an award - stay humble my friends.

I wrote this reply this morning - came home saw I hadn't posted it.  Congratulations!  :D

TigerHawg

Quote from: Valleysports on August 03, 2015, 11:30:28 am

People are also blind to the fact these boys work hard to train year round.  You can only buy so much, you have to have talented athletes to go the distance. Also we have to remember they also have a top academic program in Bentonville. Complain all they want, the kids are getting a great education which is the whole point.

Bville boys work hard to train year round?  Fayetteville, Southside, Har Ber, don't?  Comments like this is why Piggy points out the negative.  You can only buy so much talent? I think Piggy was pointing out that actually out of 4000 students, you can pick out 4 times as many with talent.  The kids are getting a great education which is the point ...... actually he was pointing out that 47 students per teacher isn't the best academic atmosphere - thus the need for a new school years ago.  No matter what the case may be, it's an honor to receive such an award - stay humble my friends.

I wrote this reply this morning - came home saw I hadn't posted it.  Congratulations!  :D

:)

Valleysports

Quote from: TigerHawg on August 03, 2015, 12:16:05 pm

Not sure why you resorted to the childish name calling. If you read my reply before you actually posted you would see this whole reply is de-bunked.

Name calling?  Where did you come up with that?  You'd better not be my wife sneaking on here!  And just because you replied doesn't mean it's debunked - haha - just means you attempted to debunk it.  Smile - say thank I'm honored to have received this award - nothing else.  Cause when you do - people are going to point out the obvious advantages Bentonville has - for whatever reasons.  Now - shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!  Congratulations Bentonville!

TigerHawg

Quote from: Valleysports on August 03, 2015, 12:29:50 pm

Not sure why you resorted to the childish name calling. If you read my reply before you actually posted you would see this whole reply is de-bunked.

Name calling?  Where did you come up with that?  And just because you replied doesn't mean it's debunked - haha - just means you attempted to debunk it.  Smile - say thank I'm honored to have received this award - nothing else.  Cause when you do - people are going to point out the obvious advantages Bentonville has - for whatever reasons.  Now - shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!  Congratulations Bentonville!

:)

Valleysports

Quote from: TigerHawg on August 03, 2015, 12:35:34 pm

Name calling?  Where did you come up with that?  And just because you replied doesn't mean it's debunked - haha - just means you attempted to debunk it.  Smile - say thank I'm honored to have received this award - nothing else.  Cause when you do - people are going to point out the obvious advantages Bentonville has - for whatever reasons.  Now - shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!  Congratulations Bentonville!

First, I didn't receive an award. The team I support did. Secondly the only point I was ever making was that its not money alone that wins games. and that applies to ALL school in ALL divisions. Not just one. What logic can you use to prove to me that having money alone can win games if your following AAA rules? I am not being argumentative (at least not trying to be) I really want to know. I am always up for learning something new.

Secondly the only point I was ever making was that its not money alone that wins games.  Did Piggy or anyone else say anything about money alone winning games?  NO!  You came up with that on your own.  So why would you ask us to prove something YOU came up with?  Piggy pointed out, as has been pointed out over and over and over, the size of the school.  I don't have a dog in the fight, but to reply about how hard Bville's kids work, their talent, and education, isn't the smartest reply.  LOL  Hey I played ball from elementary through college - in high school our smaller opponents were the size of Bentonville.  There is a reason for classifications...  Bentonville is an 8A school, in Arkansas, a small 4A (Tex High) in Texas.  Now c'mon you know all this.   ::)     

Baitshop

I was going to comment again on this but it looks as though you have it under control Valley....

Those Bennie guys...smh, you just can't reason the arrogance out of them.... ;)

TigerHawg

Quote from: Baitshop on August 03, 2015, 01:59:06 pm
I was going to comment again on this but it looks as though you have it under control Valley....

LOL I was waiting for you to chime in Bait.....

ricepig

You ain't just whistling Dixie, Bait........too soon?

phdefense

The titles might imply that they are working harder.

ricepig

Quote from: phdefense on August 03, 2015, 04:46:03 pm

Or the enrollment numbers might imply they have more to work with??

Valleysports

Quote from: phdefense on August 03, 2015, 04:46:03 pm

In reality Bentonville doesn't have to work as hard.  It's like Arkansas having never won the SEC Title - is it because the Hogs just don't work as hard the football schools?  Does Alabama work that much harder than Arkansas?  Does Gus work Auburn harder?  How long has Arkansas been n the SEC - y'all haven't worked hard enough, one time, in all those years?  Good point phdefense  ;D

Baitshop

Quote from: ricepig on August 03, 2015, 02:14:31 pm

You ain't just whistling Dixie, Bait........too soon?

Neh....we've turned the corner on the inevitable...here is the new fight song:

Wabash Cannonball K-State style....

Thinking about changing the mascot to the "HomeWreckers"....

Razorback Red

Quote from: Valleysports on August 03, 2015, 12:59:50 pm

First, I didn't receive an award. The team I support did. Secondly the only point I was ever making was that its not money alone that wins games. and that applies to ALL school in ALL divisions. Not just one. What logic can you use to prove to me that having money alone can win games if your following AAA rules? I am not being argumentative (at least not trying to be) I really want to know. I am always up for learning something new.

Secondly the only point I was ever making was that its not money alone that wins games.  Did Piggy or anyone else say anything about money alone winning games?  NO!  You came up with that on your own.  So why would you ask us to prove something YOU came up with?  Piggy pointed out, as has been pointed out over and over and over, the size of the school.  I don't have a dog in the fight, but to reply about how hard Bville's kids work, their talent, and education, isn't the smartest reply.  LOL  Hey I played ball from elementary through college - in high school our smaller opponents were the size of Bentonville.  There is a reason for classifications...  Bentonville is an 8A school, in Arkansas, a small 4A (Tex High) in Texas.  Now c'mon you know all this.   ::)     

I'm not an expert on TX HS football, but I believe Betonville and a few of the other larger 7A schools in AR would be 6A in TX, unless I am missing something.  I believe TX 6A is 2000+.  Does anyone know for sure?

spurrr

Ive known several Bville kids in the past that have competed in various sports. All used personnel trainers. Its not wrong or illegal but I do feel that it helps create an advantage and this is where the money comes into play. Going to be interesting to watch the next few years develop with two schools. I imagine some friendships will be dissolved.     

Valleysports

Quote from: Razorback Red on August 03, 2015, 08:32:51 pm
Quote from: Valleysports on August 03, 2015, 12:59:50 pm

I'm not an expert on TX HS football, but I believe Betonville and a few of the other larger 7A schools in AR would be 6A in TX, unless I am missing something.  I believe TX 6A is 2000+.  Does anyone know for sure?

Haha you're not an expert, but you googled it - last year was the first year Texas has had a 6A classification.  I forgot that.  Maybe they're trying to model after Arkansas System. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas