• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Radical Defense anyone?

Started by SingleWingGuru, May 17, 2006, 01:57:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SingleWingGuru

How about a 5-5-1... 28 yard deep safety.  Put on your reading glasses, this is really interesting.  The Deep Safety concept is really interesting.... basically a headhunter killing all wide recievers.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/at.asp?webtag=TedSeay&guid=4CB8F9F1-1E5F-4422-993F-31469D4AE99B&frames=no

Lions84

Prince Caspian

I think Ted Seay has a file on almost every conceivable aspect of football.

Lions84

my favorite is the Tight 3 by John Reed  ;D

TomThumb

It seems to me like a 5-3 with man principles and and cover 1 for the safety......

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: A-O on June 15, 2006, 11:39:40 pm
It seems to me like a 5-3 with man principles and and cover 1 for the safety......

eh.... not really....  I get what you mean, it would appear like a 5-3 in most offensive sets... the main principle is that unlike a 5-3, the fastest people are always on the outside, and it always looks like man even when it is max coverage.   the defensive ends also lineup at a 45 degree angle, which isn't very traditional.

As for the safety, this person isn't playing cover 1.  He is more or less a 28+ rover to kill defenseless wide outs and running backs.   Since he is moving forward he literally head hunts the ball carrier on each play, definitely taking out the will of the team.   Whereas Free Safety is a defensive and submissive position, the HH(headhunter)Deep Safety is offensive minded and his entire goal is to hit the ball carrier as hard as possible.

Uncle Ivan

You better have one mean SOB playing that deep safety for that.

Wynne saw some ridiculous defenses back in 2000 with two future NFL tailbacks in the backfield.

I remember some 8-2-1's, 7-3-1's, 6-3-2's, even a 10-1.  That last one wasn't very smart.  It got popped for six rather quickly.

Burto

what are the rules on defense.......what is the most you can have on the line etc.....

Burto

what would this be called?

X X X
        X       X
      X   X X   X

X     X

This could be what you line up in.........and make changes as to how they line up. The OLB would cover the corners but......You would know this and have athletic kids playing those positions

X       X X X       X
           X       X
              X X
        X             X

Uncle Ivan

Two d-linemen?  Gotta have more than that.  Unless I'm looking at it wrong.

Burto

You are looking at it wrong......It has 3 d-lineman

TomThumb

You could play a nasty zone with that defense.

Navy and White

Quote from: Burto on July 03, 2006, 07:51:44 pm
what would this be called?

X X X
        X       X
      X   X X   X

X     X

This could be what you line up in.........and make changes as to how they line up. The OLB would cover the corners but......You would know this and have athletic kids playing those positions

X       X X X       X
           X       X
              X X
        X             X

Looks roughly like a 3-4 cover 2 scheme...

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: Jeremy2653 on May 17, 2006, 01:57:36 pm
How about a 5-5-1... 28 yard deep safety.  Put on your reading glasses, this is really interesting.  The Deep Safety concept is really interesting.... basically a headhunter killing all wide recievers.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/at.asp?webtag=TedSeay&guid=4CB8F9F1-1E5F-4422-993F-31469D4AE99B&frames=no
Quote from: Jeremy2653 on June 16, 2006, 04:20:08 pm

eh.... not really....  I get what you mean, it would appear like a 5-3 in most offensive sets... the main principle is that unlike a 5-3, the fastest people are always on the outside, and it always looks like man even when it is max coverage.   the defensive ends also lineup at a 45 degree angle, which isn't very traditional.

As for the safety, this person isn't playing cover 1.  He is more or less a 28+ rover to kill defenseless wide outs and running backs.   Since he is moving forward he literally head hunts the ball carrier on each play, definitely taking out the will of the team.   Whereas Free Safety is a defensive and submissive position, the HH(headhunter)Deep Safety is offensive minded and his entire goal is to hit the ball carrier as hard as possible.

Have you seen any team using this?  Or was this just an article?

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on July 07, 2006, 12:51:45 am
Quote from: Jeremy2653 on May 17, 2006, 01:57:36 pm

Quote from: Jeremy2653 on June 16, 2006, 04:20:08 pm

eh.... not really....  I get what you mean, it would appear like a 5-3 in most offensive sets... the main principle is that unlike a 5-3, the fastest people are always on the outside, and it always looks like man even when it is max coverage.   the defensive ends also lineup at a 45 degree angle, which isn't very traditional.

As for the safety, this person isn't playing cover 1.  He is more or less a 28+ rover to kill defenseless wide outs and running backs.   Since he is moving forward he literally head hunts the ball carrier on each play, definitely taking out the will of the team.   Whereas Free Safety is a defensive and submissive position, the HH(headhunter)Deep Safety is offensive minded and his entire goal is to hit the ball carrier as hard as possible.

Have you seen any team using this?  Or was this just an article?

The video that came the with the book has a small team from lousiana using it.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas