• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are Volunteers Still Allowed?

Started by McKnz, April 14, 2006, 12:59:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

McKnz

Does the AAA still allow volunteers? I was told a while back that you can no longer have volunteer assistant coaches. What is the regulation on this? Do you have to be a certified coach to be an assistant?

SandLizard04

They're definitely still allowed, unless they've passed a new rule within the past couple of weeks.

McKnz

See, someone told me that you can't be on the sidelines if you aren't certified.

athletic supporter

Quote from: Dale Murphy on April 14, 2006, 02:53:17 pm
See, someone told me that you can't be on the sidelines if you aren't certified.

Not true! I walk the sidelines and I don't even volunteer coach.

Code3Cat

well...there are some rules that limits what an actually volunteer coach can do.  if a person goes through the first aid and coaching principals classes that the AAA gives they can actually be a head coach in sports like baseball, softball..... but i dont think they can actually coach in football or basketball....go to www.ahsaa.org.com and it will give u the details on it...

ASU Rugby

Quote from: Dale Murphy on April 14, 2006, 12:59:44 pm
Does the AAA still allow volunteers? I was told a while back that you can no longer have volunteer assistant coaches. What is the regulation on this? Do you have to be a certified coach to be an assistant?

Newport had one this year

Uncle Ivan

There's a bunch in Warren, although, paying them wouldn't hurt.

McKnz

Quote from: Code3Cat on April 15, 2006, 04:14:49 pm
well...there are some rules that limits what an actually volunteer coach can do. if a person goes through the first aid and coaching principals classes that the AAA gives they can actually be a head coach in sports like baseball, softball..... but i dont think they can actually coach in football or basketball....go to www.ahsaa.org.com and it will give u the details on it...

Yeah, I've been to that site. I've asked about 10 different people and received about 8 different answers. I think in order to be a head coach in football, basketball and track you have to take Prevention and Care of Athletic Injuries and Principles and Problems of Coaching at an Arkansas accredited school (or something like that) and pass the PE Content Knowledge Praxis. That's all easier said than done because we were told that only the UofA offers these courses during the summer.

spoony luv

You can have volunteer coaches. They can help you all they want during practice. They can be on the sidelines but they can not direct a player during a AAA regulated event. If you are caught in violation of that you could have to forfeit all games that volunteer was involved in.

McKnz

Quote from: spoony luv on April 17, 2006, 08:36:38 am
You can have volunteer coaches. They can help you all they want during practice. They can be on the sidelines but they can not direct a player during a AAA regulated event. If you are caught in violation of that you could have to forfeit all games that volunteer was involved in.

How do they define "direct a player"? Does this mean that you can't offer any advice during a game? That's ridiculous if so.

kijex13

Quote from: Dale Murphy on April 17, 2006, 12:10:39 pm

How do they define "direct a player"? Does this mean that you can't offer any advice during a game? That's ridiculous if so.

That is correct, but only for football, basketball, and track.  Although any parents or fans can, and often do, "direct a player" at any time, a volunteer coach can't.

McKnz

Quote from: kijex on April 17, 2006, 10:18:30 pm
Quote from: Dale Murphy on April 17, 2006, 12:10:39 pm

That is correct, but only for football, basketball, and track. Although any parents or fans can, and often do, "direct a player" at any time, a volunteer coach can't.

Hmm, that's too bad. Kind of a goofy rule if you ask me, but I can see why it's in place.

futurecoach

Quote from: Dale Murphy on April 17, 2006, 07:23:54 am
Quote from: Code3Cat on April 15, 2006, 04:14:49 pm
well...there are some rules that limits what an actually volunteer coach can do. if a person goes through the first aid and coaching principals classes that the AAA gives they can actually be a head coach in sports like baseball, softball..... but i dont think they can actually coach in football or basketball....go to www.ahsaa.org.com and it will give u the details on it...

This must have changed a little because as I've looked around and talked with people that have coached in Arkansas I've understood you need 4 hours of coaching theory classes and to pass the praxis 2 content area to get your coaching credential.  Now most kinesiology/pe degrees teach the athletic injuries and first aid classes anyways.  I am set to graduate from ULM with a degree in kinesiology next spring and I hope to come back to Arkansas at some point and coach a little football.  One nice thing about Louisiana, if you are a student you can become a "student coach" and get a little money for coaching.  I get like 750 per semester to coach middle school wide receivers and defensive backs.  Like I said, not much but it is something.

Yeah, I've been to that site. I've asked about 10 different people and received about 8 different answers. I think in order to be a head coach in football, basketball and track you have to take Prevention and Care of Athletic Injuries and Principles and Problems of Coaching at an Arkansas accredited school (or something like that) and pass the PE Content Knowledge Praxis. That's all easier said than done because we were told that only the UofA offers these courses during the summer.

fullcourtpress

Sounds like to me that someone didn't want your services as a volunteer. Every town has those wanna be coaches, think they should take the reins.

McKnz

Nice fullcourt...real classy post.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas