• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coaches

Started by rebelman11, February 02, 2006, 03:24:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rebelman11

Is it a must to have played high school football in order to be a head coach.

arreferee

Quote from: rebelman11 on February 02, 2006, 03:24:11 pm

Absolutely not.  It probably gives you an advantage because of what you learn as a player, but it's not a necessity.

There are a couple of D1 head coaches who didn't play college football.  I believe Dennis Franchione at Texas A&M is one of those.

rebelman11

Hoggy Mo Pena

You do need to have a very good understading of the game however.

jbird

Just know the game and be able to communicate what you know. 

givemeabreak

It's not what you know, its what your kids know.

Blue Collar

Quote from: rebelman11 on February 02, 2006, 03:24:11 pm
Its what kind of attitude you have towards the sport and towards others.

redbug

Was it Lou Holtz that never played a down of football in his life?

The name is without me at the moment, but one of the all time great coaches woke up one day wrote down 50 goals he wanted to accomplish and then took off, the only thing he never accomplished was walking on the moon.

PATRIOTPLAYER54

lou holts was a stand out in college.

Anon2

Pick up a catalog from some college.  If it were me, I would major in math and minor in PE.  With a math major and certified in coaching, you would have no trouble landing a job.

billsweeter

i dont now if this was his major but i belive my coachs had something to do with body devlopment or something like that...basically lifting wieghts and things like that

femalefan

Quote from: RisonWildcat4 on April 12, 2006, 05:11:36 pm
What all must you do to become a coach.I know college is a necessity,but what course would you take and what would your major be?

Major in secondary education.  You would take courses to get certified in PE and something else (science, math, history, english, etc.).  Look at the places you would like to "settle" and see what the hardest spots to fill are.  Usually math and science are the best to get certified in because it is so hard to find teachers in those areas.  History and health are "historically"  ;) what most coaches get certified in.  I think it is 2010, all schools must have certified k-12 PE teachers, so, getting certified in that is also a plus!  Good luck it's a stressful but rewarding profession.

Code3Cat

if im not mistaken Coach Johnson that coached and did very well for years and years at Crossett never played. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas