• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Roughing the snapper

Started by SMC, November 09, 2005, 10:55:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SMC

I know this is a HS board, but this was a call made in the Tech/UCA game last week. I had never heard of such a penalty. But Tech was called for "roughing the snapper" on a UCA extra point attempt. What constitutes "roughing the snapper?"

mattp_68

during a PAT or field goal attempt it is illegal to interfere with the triangle...snapper-holder-kicker in english...you cant make a deliberate hit on either one of them

Patriot_03

This is a good rule because there is not a more vulnerable position than the deep snapper. His head is down and his legs are spread as far as they can go and there would be a great chance of a broken kneck if someone were to hit him while his head was in that position.

Throwback

This is also a Federation (high school) rule. You must stay off the snapper until he completes his snap and starts to block.

#1 STUNNA

yeah our deep sbapper is 135 pounds

Rulesman

Quote from: SMC on November 09, 2005, 10:55:56 pm
I know this is a HS board, but this was a call made in the Tech/UCA game last week. I had never heard of such a penalty. But Tech was called for "roughing the snapper" on a UCA extra point attempt. What constitutes "roughing the snapper?"
NCAA Rule 9-1-2r - "When a team is in a scrimmage kick formation, a defensive player may not initiate contact with the snapper until one second has elapsed after the snap."

FEDERATION Rule 9-4-6: "A defensive player shall not charge directly into the snapper when the offensive team is in a scrimmage-kick formation."

tightendman#89

yea ur not supposed to hit the snapper on field goal extra point or punt

Dayton Kitchens

When I played football in the early 1980s, our coaches would send three of us to hammer the deep snapper without mercy.    Figured if he worried about protecting himself he would pay less attention to the accuracy of his snap.

Rulesman

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on November 15, 2005, 07:43:37 pm
When I played football in the early 1980s, our coaches would send three of us to hammer the deep snapper without mercy. Figured if he worried about protecting himself he would pay less attention to the accuracy of his snap.
And that's exactly why the rule was rewritten - for the safety of the snapper.

Lions84

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on November 15, 2005, 07:43:37 pm
When I played football in the early 1980s, our coaches would send three of us to hammer the deep snapper without mercy. Figured if he worried about protecting himself he would pay less attention to the accuracy of his snap.

Same here Mike Gray used to line us up in the gap each side of the snapper and the MLB right in the middle. We knocked several of them out at Clarendon in the early 1980's

OLDBEAR

I only wish this rule would have been in effect in the early 80's.  Some of the more interesting ones that I endured included a forearm across the back of the neck, using my back as a springboard, etc.  I remember coming to the sideline in a game at Southeast Missouri with blood running down my back where the cleats had dug in.  It really wasn't alot of fun.

rebelman11

Yes deep snappers are not the biggest guys, i know of one last year in jr high 5'6 140, but he could snap

WarriorPride08

I didn't know that was a rule, thought most teams did what Dayton said but I guess I was wrong.  When did this rule come about?

Rulesman

Quote from: WarriorPride08 on February 05, 2006, 01:58:03 pm
I didn't know that was a rule, thought most teams did what Dayton said but I guess I was wrong.  When did this rule come about?
I'm guessing it has been in the book for the last 5 to 7 years.

WarriorPride08

bigelowpanthers_30

The fact that the snapper has his head down not only increases his?her risk for neck and back injury but also puts them at risk for leg and knee injuries.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas