• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Maybe it's time for Trojan football.

Started by Lionheart88, November 28, 2013, 02:40:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lionheart88

http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/rex-nelson-arkansas-has-lost-something-that-can-never-be-recaptured/

One of the most interesting parts of this article, to me, is Rex Nelson's suggestion that UALR should take a hard look at putting together a football program.  There's a void opening up, and it needs filling.

ricepig

They can't afford the sports programs as it is, the have a higher student fee without football, than ASU does. That doesn't even bring in the Title IX schollies they'd need to offset a football program.

wildcat_x-mgr

Definitely an interesting article with some great points. I think the exact wording for UALR was "a serious study on the feasibility of football at UALR."

I'm sure Rex and the UALR staff know that they're in no place to start a new football program currently, but a "serious study" may simply mean, what would it take to make it happen? Remember, UofA still has one game at WMS until 2018. Could they be closer to being able to have football by then? And if not, maybe by 2023? Sure, they couldn't do anything fast enough to start it up next year, but what would be the harm in doing a study on what it would take and how soon? I think we all know, A LOT can happen and a lot can change in ten years time.

Romeo

UALR should have a football team, but I think it'll never happen as long as UALR is apart of the UA system.

green-eagle

we were talking about this the other day in our office, central Arkansas will be looking for more football than High school when the razorbacks reduces the number of games to one. Now, this a perfect situation where if UCA plays it's cards right, can fill that void. but will they?

UALR is the main campus for the University of Arkansas systems and right now they are not feeling the need to do anything.

But if some one was paying attendion to the Arkdemgaz sunday article on the the reduce football talent being produced from the LRSD system,  they will see a need to change that. UALR will need to step up, or let UCA take the lead.

CathywithaC

Never happen.  Would require too much work............

Lions84

It will take an act of the Ark State Legislature since not having a Football Team was part of the agreement for LRU to come in to the UA System.  Before becoming part of the UA system they had  football team that won the Jr. Rose Bowl.

minerjack

Quote from: green-eagle on December 09, 2013, 09:51:37 am
we were talking about this the other day in our office, central Arkansas will be looking for more football than High school when the razorbacks reduces the number of games to one. Now, this a perfect situation where if UCA plays it's cards right, can fill that void. but will they?

UALR is the main campus for the University of Arkansas systems and right now they are not feeling the need to do anything.

But if some one was paying attendion to the Arkdemgaz sunday article on the the reduce football talent being produced from the LRSD system,  they will see a need to change that. UALR will need to step up, or let UCA take the lead.
I read that article as well.  This actually troubled me more as I have actually been compelled to get back into coaching.  I played college football and got really burnt out my last year.  So, I changed my major and decided to stray from coaching.  But the last few weeks I feel as if I have been spoken to by God to reevaluate my career.  I'm not saying I am meant to start a program or it is my purpose.  But, around the same day I read this article I wondered why UALR didn't have a program.  I don't know if it is a sign or what.  But, if they decided to seriously promote it, I would be willing to help and volunteer and get something started and support the decision to.

Lions84

As I stated it will take a change in the Law by the Arkansas State Legislature.  We talked about it back in the 1980's and the Admin shot it down. Since UA is leaving a void in Central Ark. I would love to see UCA move in and fill that void.

minerjack

You think UCA would come down and play games at WMS??

wildcat_x-mgr

Lions84

Quote from: minerjack2212 on January 07, 2014, 11:51:35 am
You think UCA would come down and play games at WMS??

Why not is not even an hour away.

Hoghead

UALR Football ? Nope, I don't think it will work. UCA is to close and heck UALR can't get a full house at basketball games. Trojan Football is a NOGO !

minerjack

I think if the administration got behind it, then it would really bring the community together.  And give other schools in the state a run for their money. 

Lions84

It would be a hard sell but it would be nice to see.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas