• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whoops, they did it again (Razorback Red)

Started by OPoraquê, December 02, 2016, 11:23:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OPoraquê

1.  First of all, hats off to ya'll at Fayetteville, and wtg, Coach Blankenship for his first Arkansas championship.

2.  RR, speaking of "championships", when I saw prior to last Friday that Bixby had made it to the Oklahoma 6A DII finals, I thought: "Oh no, here we go again, Bentonville."  Beat two state championship teams again and come up empty, just like Bennie '12 (which beat MS/AR champs South Panola and Fay) and '15 (CO/AR champs Valor Christian and Fayetteville).  Sho' nuff, Bixby wins a 3-peat tonight minutes after Fay did its two-peat.

Just more evidence again that Arkansas 7A West is one of America's toughest high school conferences (more on that in a second).

3.  Fayetteville, thanks again for, another year, making sure that Bentonville 2010 is so far still the only undefeated Arkansas "big-school" high school this decade.  3 more years to go and the record may fall, but thanks nonetheless.  :)

4.  Fun footnote, could Fayetteville 2016 become the first Arkansas team to beat a Texas high school football champion (in its championship season)?  Stay tuned...tomorrow Bishop Dunne plays for the TAPPS Division I state championship.

Again, congratulations B.G., Fay team, Fay fans and Coach BB on a tremendous win tonight.

Sect103

Blue Springs lost in the finals in Missouri. Meanwhile NLR played LR metro powerhouses Maumelle, McClellan, and Parkview in non conference. The only non conference cupcake we had was a Central team.

mack

December 03, 2016, 02:02:17 pm #2 Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 02:04:29 pm by mack
Quote from: Sect103 on December 03, 2016, 12:25:17 pm
Blue Springs lost in the finals in Missouri. Meanwhile NLR played LR metro powerhouses Maumelle, McClellan, and Parkview in non conference. The only non conference cupcake we had was a Central team.

You're special 103....  So special you forgot the 7 West cupcakes you played.  A cupcake is a cupcake.

ricepig

What was the West vs Central record this year?

mack

Quote from: ricepig on December 03, 2016, 02:28:47 pm

Good question.  I'm thinking Central was probably 2nd and 3rd overall.  Maybe 4th as well.  The West can thank heaven for Fayetteville this year.

Rob Van Winkle

December 03, 2016, 04:06:56 pm #5 Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 04:09:30 pm by Rob Van Winkle
Quote from: ricepig on December 03, 2016, 02:28:47 pm
West was 8-7 vs Central this year. At least that is what I came up with when I checked the FF standings. Someone may want to double check and make sure.

Sect103

Quote from: mack on December 03, 2016, 02:02:17 pm
You're special 103....  So special you forgot the 7 West cupcakes you played.  A cupcake is a cupcake.
You can't control conference cupcakes. You can control nonconference.

OPoraquê

As of last night, here's how it stands since 2012, and this year was the best yet for beating out-of-state competition:

2012 - Bentonville beats two teams who would become state champions that season: South Panola (Mississippi big-school champs, 2 years removed from a mythical national championship according to USA Today and Calpreps; 10-time state champions) and Fayetteville.

2015 - Bentonville beats two teams who would become state champions that season: Valor Christian (Colorado big-school champs, 7-time state champs (including last night) led by Michigan QB commit Dylan McCaffrey, Christian's brother) and Fayetteville.

2016 - Bentonville beats two teams who would become state champions: Bixby (three-in-a-row Oklahoma 6ADII champion as of Friday night) and 5-time, two-in-a-row Arkansas big school state champion Fayetteville. ;) (See a pattern here?), AND;
Fayetteville beats two teams who finish runners-up in their state: Blue Springs, MO (Missouri 6A runners-up, 5-time previous state champions) and Dallas Bishop Dunne (Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools Division I runners-up as of last night, 4-time previous state champions.)

This is rough math, but since 2012 Bentonville and Fayetteville have beaten from five other states high schools who were same-season state champions or runners-up, with 29 (almost 6 per school) state championships between them, most of them at the highest levels of their state's competition.  There's a reason that Calpreps has, for most of this decade, had the 7A West as one of America's toughest high school leagues, and this year appears to have been the best yet despite stumbles (i.e. Har-Ber at Jenks, Bennie vs. Rockhurst).

(BTW, Mack, I was in Arkansas this weekend as my wife had a surgical consultation, and got to watch the sc game at our hotel in Conway.  Your guys were much stronger than I've ever seen them, and I'm still of a mind the 7A West schools should all watch out for you every year from here on out.  I remember when NLR played Longview, TX under the previous hfc and lost.  Even if your Coach Mitchell schedules some top o-o-s competition and the games don't turn out so well (such as happened for Bentonville 2014, losing every preseason scrimmage and non-con game before winning the sc).  I think his teams will become more dangerous with every passing year.  BTW, still hope to see a pic of an NLR football game in that stadium on a late summer night with the LR skyline in the background, even though that would be a tough shot to get any other way than scrambling over the cliff which abuts the north side of I-40.  Merry Christmas and a happy 2017 to you and yours, sir.)

Razorback Red

Thanks for getting this thread going.  It has been quite a run for BHS and FHS the past 10 years and hopefully BHS is going to keep it going, no doubt FHS will.  Sprinkle in the step forward NLR has taken and the consistency from Harber and the top of the 7A is very, very strong in AR.  I was also very impressed with the step forward NS took this season.  Hopefully they will continue to evolve on the offensive side of the ball.  Bryant also seems to be on the right track and Cabot will have the right personnel every few years to compete. 

I was really happy to see Fville take two really tough noncon games this year, along with Harber taking the Jenks game.  Now NLR needs to step up and match the scheduling the Big 3 in the West are doing. 

Any way you look at it, the top schools in AR are playing some very competitive football and getting some national respect. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas