• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Greatest 3A Teams of All Time?

Started by ZoneBuster, March 12, 2015, 07:37:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

neds

Quote from: smallybells on March 13, 2015, 10:08:35 pm
This went to a baseball thread already?

It lost its title subject long ago

RetiredBB

Quote from: FlippinHog on March 12, 2015, 09:27:18 pm
Quote from: Head Lion on March 12, 2015, 08:27:15 pm
I will go with Keith Lee & Michael Cage West Memphis team as greatest Arkansas High School team of all time.

That was an awesome team!

Skip Baymore

March 15, 2015, 12:31:52 am #52 Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 12:38:09 am by Skip Baymore
Quote from: Eagle20 on March 14, 2015, 04:26:40 am
Arkansas Baptists 32-3 2009 state champions were pretty salty.  Similar team with 3 really good guards and two really good big men 6'5" and 6'4".  Would be a great game!  Rosebuds 36-0 2008 squad would be another squad that would hold its own with Episcopal.  Wish we could make that happen!
Yep.  I glad you mentioned that.  Either of those teams would require that ECS play its best game to win.  My nephew was at A.B. at that time and I remember that  team was really good (and I think they had the Carpenter boys who led the classification in golf then, but Im going astray here).  And 36-0 speaks for itself for the Ramblers.  They were a Great team.

Eagle20

Quote from: Skip Baymore on March 15, 2015, 12:31:52 am
Quote from: Eagle20 on March 14, 2015, 04:26:40 am
Arkansas Baptists 32-3 2009 state champions were pretty salty.  Similar team with 3 really good guards and two really good big men 6'5" and 6'4".  Would be a great game!  Rosebuds 36-0 2008 squad would be another squad that would hold its own with Episcopal.  Wish we could make that happen!
Yep.  I glad you mentioned that.  Either of those teams would require that ECS play its best game to win.  My nephew was at A.B. at that time and I remember that  team was really good (and I think they had the Carpenter boys who led the classification in golf then, but Im going astray here).  And 36-0 speaks for itself for the Ramblers.  They were a Great team.
carpenters were great golfers but did not play much basketball after junior high.  The guards were Quinn, D.C. Green, And Hogue.  The post men were Blazer and Chris Green.  Had a good to chance to repeat in 2010 if Chris Green did not have a back injury.

TheGovernor

Rose Bud 36-0 team was one for the history books. Beat a ton of good teams, they had good players but we're a complete team. Reminded me of the Hoosier movie when they played 34-1 Prescott in the finals. What a wild game! Had to be the most storey book ending in AR basketball

Head Lion

Quote from: TheGovernor on March 16, 2015, 05:08:43 pm
Rose Bud 36-0 team was one for the history books. Beat a ton of good teams, they had good players but we're a complete team. Reminded me of the Hoosier movie when they played 34-1 Prescott in the finals. What a wild game! Had to be the most storey book ending in AR basketball
No disrespect to that Rose Bud team, they were a very good team and did things the right way. ECS would beat them double digits 19 out of 20, PA & EPC teams mentioned above would beat them 20 9 out of 10 times. They were a very good group, but would struggle to much offensively to score against the above teams. JMO

TheGovernor

Not sure about that head lion... It would be some close games. I honestly don't think ESC EPC or PA would beat them like you say, I respect your opinion but Rose Bud had great talent, intelligence and the best coach in the state at that time. Would be interesting to see how the games would have gone. But we will never know

Head Lion

Quote from: TheGovernor on March 18, 2015, 09:57:07 am
Not sure about that head lion... It would be some close games. I honestly don't think ESC EPC or PA would beat them like you say, I respect your opinion but Rose Bud had great talent, intelligence and the best coach in the state at that time. Would be interesting to see how the games would have gone. But we will never know
Gov, it would be great. It seems to me there are not as many "big" games anymore. Don't know if I am just getting old or nostalgic. I would really like to see the upper echelon teams in classes A-AAAA play each other. People say "well it changes from year to year." As long as Francis is at HA, Marsh at ECS, Murray at Earle, Wimberley at Manila, Hargrove at Flippin, Taylor at Valley, Taylor at BIC and so on. These programs are going to provide quality competition. I would like to see more quality regular season games. JMO

neds

That is Marsh's goal each year, play up as much as possible to be ready for the post season. As he cant control the 3A competition Episcopal will face once conference starts.

Skip Baymore

Quote from: neds on March 18, 2015, 06:51:01 pm
That is Marsh's goal each year, play up as much as possible to be ready for the post season. As he cant control the 3A competition Episcopal will face once conference starts.
Im wondering if the football team will do the same.  When youre not very good, you just want some wins for the team.  I would do the same scheduling if I were the coach or athletic director of a not so good football team.  But the last couple of years, ECS has been the most improved football team in 3A.  Went from being not very good to being an upper echelon team.  Don't know if they will be able to keep it, but I think they have upped their football program for sure with new coaching and new attitude.  You know a little about how a programs goals or how much it believes in itself about those first non-conference games it schedules.  The last many years, they've just been looking for games they believed they would win or had a chance to.

ghoti

i remember a little team from gurdon beating the 81 west memphis team for the overall championship.

cdelaney

Quote from: Skip Baymore on March 21, 2015, 12:30:27 am
Quote from: neds on March 18, 2015, 06:51:01 pm
Im wondering if the football team will do the same.  When youre not very good, you just want some wins for the team.  I would do the same scheduling if I were the coach or athletic director of a not so good football team.  But the last couple of years, ECS has been the most improved football team in 3A.  Went from being not very good to being an upper echelon team.  Don't know if they will be able to keep it, but I think they have upped their football program for sure with new coaching and new attitude.  You know a little about how a programs goals or how much it believes in itself about those first non-conference games it schedules.  The last many years, they've just been looking for games they believed they would win or had a chance to.
For a few years they played England, Brinkley, and Conway Christian in non-conference. Last year they had trouble getting anyone to play them- the 2A schools didn't want to lose to them and the larger schools didn't feel like they had anything to gain by playing them. They finally got to play in one of the Hootens games vs Dewitt to fill the 10 game schedule. But even though they are 4A that's not exactly "playing up". And I agree that the lack of tougher competition early hurt them against Prescott- they weren't ready for that step up and Prescott had played a stronger schedule for sure.
For this coming year  I don't know if they have 10 games yet, I know Coach Marsh (Richie) hadn't found one a couple of months ago. But this may not be the year to try to play up. They are losing 13 seniors out of a roster that peaked at 25 last season. They had a very small sophomore group last year- as happens every year, a few kids leave entering 9th grade to go to Catholic, Central, or PA, and there were another 5-6 last year who chose not to play despite being pretty good FB players in Jr Hi. Hopefully they will return this year. If they can develop a couple of decent lineman and a QB who is functional, their skill players returning will make them a playoff team but difficult to say they will make another run in playoffs.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas