• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

WEIGHTLIFTING FOR HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETES

Started by powerlifter90, July 11, 2010, 11:14:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

powerlifter90

Quote from: cav2012 on September 14, 2010, 07:30:45 pm
WOW this stuff helped my max jump quick

people need to realize that a particular exercise whether it be bench, squat, deadlift, power clean, curls, etc., are TOTAL BODY lifts.  True you may only working a specific movement or muscle group but the rest of your body supports that lift or muscle group.  In the bench, SQ or DL you must have your entire body "tight" and ready to lift from hand off to re-rack, you will get much better results if you do.

Valleysports

Proud Pop - Last week my son lifted weights without me or a coach!  ;D  Do ya'll know how big that is?  Set him up with an 18yr old, graduated cyclone football player.  Son text me that the 18yr old was a good motivator  ::)  Whatever! 

Anyway Bugs - he told me he didn't know why but they had these chains hooked on the bar.  :D  B2B  Four workouts ago he was maxing 190, because he's just starting, he goes up 10 lbs ever workout.  His text, saturday, said he did 235 twice.  Even though he's in 10th, he's still 15 yrs old.

powerlifter90

Quote from: Valleysports on September 22, 2010, 07:11:46 am
Proud Pop - Last week my son lifted weights without me or a coach!  ;D  Do ya'll know how big that is?  Set him up with an 18yr old, graduated cyclone football player.  Son text me that the 18yr old was a good motivator  ::)  Whatever! 

Anyway Bugs - he told me he didn't know why but they had these chains hooked on the bar.  :D  B2B  Four workouts ago he was maxing 190, because he's just starting, he goes up 10 lbs ever workout.  His text, saturday, said he did 235 twice.  Even though he's in 10th, he's still 15 yrs old.

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!

I get chills everytime I hear or read a story like that, I guess that's the reason(s) I work with so many young athletes.  Jaime and the entire B2B crowd are great folks and will get results from their lifters. 
This stuff (lifting) isn't THAT hard to figure out (or we wouldn't be doing it) but there is so much "bad" information out there that the casual lifter (normal gym guy/girl) doesn't know what to do to get the results they desire.  That's where people like myself, Jaime, Tuck, etc., come in.

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: BUGEATERS on September 22, 2010, 07:26:15 am

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!

I get chills everytime I hear or read a story like that, I guess that's the reason(s) I work with so many young athletes.  Jaime and the entire B2B crowd are great folks and will get results from their lifters. 
This stuff (lifting) isn't THAT hard to figure out (or we wouldn't be doing it) but there is so much "bad" information out there that the casual lifter (normal gym guy/girl) doesn't know what to do to get the results they desire.  That's where people like myself, Jaime, Tuck, etc., come in.

B2B as in Back 2 Basics?  I used to work out in the B2B gym in Russellville when I lived there.  That place was awesome.  One of the few "environments" just for lifting.  The downstairs was chalky, dirty, had music cranked all the time, it literally made me want to work out.

I get tired of gyms starting to look like a "curves" and having to listen to maroon 5.

powerlifter90

Quote from: SingleWingGuru on September 22, 2010, 03:24:35 pm
Quote from: BUGEATERS on September 22, 2010, 07:26:15 am

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!

B2B as in Back 2 Basics?  I used to work out in the B2B gym in Russellville when I lived there.  That place was awesome.  One of the few "environments" just for lifting.  The downstairs was chalky, dirty, had music cranked all the time, it literally made me want to work out.

I get tired of gyms starting to look like a "curves" and having to listen to maroon 5.

yes, that's it, but its in a different location, right over by ATU

I'm going to open a gym that is a larger version of the "hog trough"

SingleWingGuru

Bench Max day.

@275lb
353 1RM, raw, only a few months back into lifting heavy.

Someone should have slapped the crap out of me when I quit doing this.  I forgot how fun it was.

Now, time to get the real lifts, instead of the glory lift, back up, and cut some serious weight.

powerlifter90

Quote from: SingleWingGuru on October 01, 2010, 09:21:20 pm
Bench Max day.

@275lb
353 1RM, raw, only a few months back into lifting heavy.

Someone should have slapped the crap out of me when I quit doing this.  I forgot how fun it was.

Now, time to get the real lifts, instead of the glory lift, back up, and cut some serious weight.

go to www.southernpowerlifting.com, go to the forum and look at some of the training logs on there.  it may give you some ideas of different lifts to do on different days, which will greatly help your lifting.  Don't ever let it get stale.......

SingleWingGuru

KFC Buffet for the win.

175 Calorie Grilled Chicken Breasts (after you take the skin off yourself, 210 with the skin on).  These puppies are lower sodium than their other chicken, as well.

You can go to the KFC buffet and have mashed potato (without the gravy), green beans, and as many grilled skinless chicken breasts as you want...

Price, 8.01 before student discount, barely 7 after.

Protein loading at AT LEAST one gram per pound is recommended for people looking to be serious about lifting. This can get expensive, so I thought I'd share a little tip to you high school kiddos.

**none of this does any good if you load up on the gravy, biscuits, drink sugar coke, etc**

go in there and eat like an animal, not a toddler

Valleysports

Singlewing let me know when you get back up to your high school max (bench).
He had a crazy max at an early age Bugs!  :)

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: Valleysports on October 04, 2010, 10:04:44 pm
Singlewing let me know when you get back up to your high school max (bench).
He had a crazy max at an early age Bugs!  :)

Ha, we'll see.  The guys that Bugs hangs out with/knows/lifts with would humiliate me.  They did the entire time I was in Russellville, those guys are sick.

My biggest struggle is being fat and not being hypertrophic, that's always been a bigger struggle than my strength.

powerlifter90

Quote from: SingleWingGuru on October 04, 2010, 07:51:34 pm
KFC Buffet for the win.

175 Calorie Grilled Chicken Breasts (after you take the skin off yourself, 210 with the skin on).  These puppies are lower sodium than their other chicken, as well.

You can go to the KFC buffet and have mashed potato (without the gravy), green beans, and as many grilled skinless chicken breasts as you want...

Price, 8.01 before student discount, barely 7 after.

Protein loading at AT LEAST one gram per pound is recommended for people looking to be serious about lifting. This can get expensive, so I thought I'd share a little tip to you high school kiddos.

**none of this does any good if you load up on the gravy, biscuits, drink sugar coke, etc**

go in there and eat like an animal, not a toddler

Don't hate me but............................. I love gravy

Valleysports

Son and I went to the gym today, mutual agreement  :D
Workout Partners, having a good workout, while watching the Hog Game!
I was on a Bench Day - he was on Squats, Deadlifts, & Lats.
This was a first (I'm tickled pink) and I just had to tell someone!!  ;D

powerlifter90

Valleysports

I just came from a seminar taught by Bruce Madsen.  http://sportstherapy.net/
We had some jaws drop when he started telling us about what happens when you don't do Load Bearing Exercises.  When you don't do squats and end up not having enough strength to get off the toilet, so you're going to a Nursing Home.  Oh it get's bad, from ED 15 yrs earlier than normal, to bones that are not dense enough to withstand a fall.

We watched video's of a 72 yr old doctor Dead Lifting 476 lbs.  He started at age 40 and built up to 180 lbs after a month, at 72 yrs old he was dead lifting 476 lbs, at 86 yrs old he's back to 370.  You've probably seen the guy, he travels to meets all over and is the strongest man over 70 in America.  He has absolutely horrific technique, but because his legs and back are strong, he's says he's never had an aching back.  Oh and his quality of life is terrific - his great grandkids go biking, hiking, & mtn climbing (Mt Hood), with him, instead of middle aged people who can't keep up.

Anyway my take on all this – Whether you are a weight lifter or not - you better do squats if you want to maintain your ability to crap and get off the pot.

http://sportstherapy.net/   Bugs clik on Resources, choose topic such as Elbow Pain

powerlifter90

It doesn't matter if you are a competitive lifter or not, but you MUST do squats, dead lifts and bench pressing movements with ANY weight training program and do them correctly. 

Valleysports

I think you should start giving us a Tip or Subject of the Week!

powerlifter90

Quote from: Valleysports on October 24, 2010, 12:45:13 pm
I think you should start giving us a Tip or Subject of the Week!

I'm on the elitefts emailing list.  If the mods won't delete what I post I'll be happy to.  Someone took my stuff off on time because of some crap about "copywrite" violations. 

FYI:  its not a violation if it is available for public viewing AND you don't claim it as your own material

SingleWingGuru

Just ordered my slingshot today.  WOOT.

I'm going to incorporate this into my boards/power matrix routine.  I'll start with my max on a 3 board, next work out go to a 2 board, next work out to a 1 board, then raw.  Then I'll put on the slingshot and ME up to my new max, then repeat the 3,2,1 board workouts.

powerlifter90

Quote from: SingleWingGuru on October 28, 2010, 01:11:23 pm

I'm going to incorporate this into my boards/power matrix routine.  I'll start with my max on a 3 board, next work out go to a 2 board, next work out to a 1 board, then raw.  Then I'll put on the slingshot and ME up to my new max, then repeat the 3,2,1 board workouts.

slingshot won't work with boards and on ME days stay away from 1 board presses.  Stick to 2's and 3's and use different variations of chains and bands with each.   

I have been using the slingshot on DE days, switched things around a little since I won't be competing till next Spring the way it looks.  On bench day I do sets of 10 reps, adding weight each time, when I can't do 10, its 8, then 6, I think this will be the way I do things on DE day for 4-6 weeks or so then switch to something else.  Today for example: bar-10, 135-10, 185-10, 225-10, 255-10, 285-10, 315-8, 345-8, 375-5. That's it, can't hit at least 6 time to move on.  Then did a tricep accessory exercise (tate press) followed by two back exercises (DB rows and decline DB pullovers)

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: BUGEATERS on October 28, 2010, 02:39:33 pm

slingshot won't work with boards and on ME days stay away from 1 board presses.  Stick to 2's and 3's and use different variations of chains and bands with each.   

I have been using the slingshot on DE days, switched things around a little since I won't be competing till next Spring the way it looks.  On bench day I do sets of 10 reps, adding weight each time, when I can't do 10, its 8, then 6, I think this will be the way I do things on DE day for 4-6 weeks or so then switch to something else.  Today for example: bar-10, 135-10, 185-10, 225-10, 255-10, 285-10, 315-8, 345-8, 375-5. That's it, can't hit at least 6 time to move on.  Then did a tricep accessory exercise (tate press) followed by two back exercises (DB rows and decline DB pullovers)

I'm not doing the sling shot with the boards.  I'm using the sling shot up to the next max in the matrix.

LoL, can you imagine how bad a sling shot with the boards would eff up my elbows? Jesus!

powerlifter90

Quote from: SingleWingGuru on October 28, 2010, 02:43:29 pm
Quote from: BUGEATERS on October 28, 2010, 02:39:33 pm

I'm not doing the sling shot with the boards.  I'm using the sling shot up to the next max in the matrix.

LoL, can you imagine how bad a sling shot with the boards would eff up my elbows? Jesus!

hahahaha.............. we actually tried it, if you can get the boards OVER the slingshot it works, but its not worth the effort

Valleysports

Just to let you know Bugs - we're eating these articles up!
Son will max bench next sunday, 1 more bench workout between now & then.
Just looking at his records - he was doing 190 on 9/7, I'm expecting 240-250 11/7.
Yesterday was 10x115, 8x170, 6x180, 4x195, 2x210, 3x225 (the last set was supposed to be 2 reps, but he did 3 smooth).  He's training Squat & Deadlift with the same dedication!  * Note getting some varsity time also  :)

Jamie is training for some Russian event.

powerlifter90

Quote from: Valleysports on November 01, 2010, 12:17:52 pm
Just to let you know Bugs - we're eating these articles up!
Son will max bench next sunday, 1 more bench workout between now & then.
Just looking at his records - he was doing 190 on 9/7, I'm expecting 240-250 11/7.
Yesterday was 10x115, 8x170, 6x180, 4x195, 2x210, 3x225 (the last set was supposed to be 2 reps, but he did 3 smooth).  He's training Squat & Deadlift with the same dedication!  * Note getting some varsity time also  :)

Jamie is training for some Russian event.

I switched things around a little on me DE days, since I won't be competing till after my knee surgery I figured what the heck.  Instead of doing speed work or dynamic work on the primary exercise I'm switching to sets of 10, increasing weight by 10% or 1RM each set.  When I can't do 10's any longer do 8's, when I can't do 8's, then 6's,m when you can't do 6 you're done.  ie: DEBP last week, bar-10, 135-10, 185-10, 225-10, 255-10, 285-10, 315-10, 345-8, 385-6, 415-5
then throw in a tricep movement, followed by two back movements.  On DESQ/DL day it's some form of the squat or DL for the same rep sequence.  Its an true son-of-a-(b) gun, but I feel changing things up a little is the best way to get results.

Valleysports

Well I switched it up also - to what I'm training him on and what I trained on for 20 yrs..  A program that one of my high school coaches (John Taylor - Def Back for Hogs in late 70's) brought back from a coaches camp.  A lot like what you're doing.  It maximizes endurance and strength over a 7 workout run..  Guaranteed to increase max on the 7th workout, before going back to reps of 10 on the #1 workout.  I always end up falling back on it when I'm not improving.  And dude I blew it up (bench) today - can't hardly believe what's happening now that I'm injury free.  Was so excited I ran the 5 miles home. 

A few years ago I started loading this workout on to Excell - if you ever want to see a copy.  My son doesn't have to figure out how much weight to use.  All he has to do is follow what's printed out.  We can project the date he'll reach a max goal months from now, unless he  moves up faster.  I must've copied the program 500 times especially in the 80's.  Had guys come up to me with a great new workout, they'd discovered, only to have me point out some of my markings from the original copy 10 years before.  :D

Hey I'm going to Cabot Thursday!

ricepig

If Bugs shows up, will there be enough room in Cabot for both of you?  ;D

Valleysports

I've got this thought that Bugs and I might have slightly different builds!  :D
Or are you talking about head size?  I'll admit I've had to let my ball cap out a notch
or two lately!  ;D  What are you doing reading on this thread anyway?

ricepig

I guess I'm lost, because I don't lift anything more than what's on my fork these days.

powerlifter90

I can't make Cabot Thurs, its state teachers convention and I'm "required" to attend.

BUT, Novemeber 20th there is a meet in R-ville.  I'll be there, come by and say "hi"

powerlifter90

I have said before, I'm not a big fan of olympic lifts when training high school athletes, injuries being the number one reason.  Here is an article that briefly covers some other reasons.  caution it has one word of profanity in it.

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/olympic-lifting-considerations/

what are you training to endure?
http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/what-are-you-training-to-endure/

Valleysports

November 07, 2010, 08:15:20 pm #81 Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 05:28:24 am by Valleysports
Great Day - got up 0500 (Youth Deer Hunting Day) Son stacked em up, including a nine point.

Then this afternoon he put up 250 lbs on Bench.  He's turned on now  ;D 
Want's 300 lbs by Christmas.  I suggested his 16 birthday might be more realistic, which is still 5 months out.

cav2012

Quote from: Valleysports on November 07, 2010, 08:15:20 pm
Great Day - got up 0500 (Youth Deer Hunting Day) Son stacked em up, including a nine point.

Then this afternoon he put up 250 lbs on Bench.  He's turned on now  ;D 
Want's 300 lbs by Christmas.  I suggested his 16 birthday might be more realistic, which is still 5 months out.
DANGGGGGG......Go tell your kid to come to my school...lol we need somebody who can do that........

cav2012

In your opinion... Does your height factor into play on your weight maxes??

powerlifter90

Quote from: cav2012 on November 09, 2010, 09:49:39 pm

it can in the bench press...........but in the squat or DL, depending on the height to weight ratio, the taller lifter has more leverage thus making it easier to complete the lift

Valleysports

November 10, 2010, 05:38:16 am #85 Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 12:04:47 pm by Valleysports
Quote from: cav2012 on November 09, 2010, 09:49:39 pm

I remember the kids that only had to move the lift 8 inches to lock out, while the rest of us had to move it 2 feet.  I think it makes a lot of difference when you're young, but it seems like the advantage went away, later on, when we all matured physically.  Just off the cuff thinking!

This kid is naturally strong and the reason he's gone up so fast is just learning how to lift and getting control.  He's long armed - a year ago, when we had his bow re-adjusted, his wing span was measured at 77 inches.  Coming up on 6'3" now.  Sure wish his 40 time would have the same success - we started working on that yesterday.  It'll take a lot of 20 yd sprints to teach his 210 lb body to get up and out.

SingleWingGuru

I got my slingshot, I got my slingshot... *happy dance*

cav2012

Ok in yalls opinion what  is one of the best overall work out routines for a high school athlete

Valleysports

Build your workouts around Squats, Deadlift, & Bench.

I might differ on this (what you think Bugs) but I think High School kids should get in and out (no more than 30 min - 1 hr) with a quality workout.  Basic lifts - always stretch.

powerlifter90

Quote from: Valleysports on November 11, 2010, 05:04:04 am
Build your workouts around Squats, Deadlift, & Bench.

I might differ on this (what you think Bugs) but I think High School kids should get in and out (no more than 30 min - 1 hr) with a quality workout.  Basic lifts - always stretch.

I agree.........stretch, warm up, after that your training session should take no more than 1 hour-1 hour 15 minutes.  Then as a cool down hit abs........the ENTIRE time you are in the weight room will be about 1 hour to 1 hour 30 minutes depending on day, weighting time, etc.

I solved my "waiting time" issue, moved ALL my stuff to my garage, next spring I'm opening my own place similar to B2B.

SingleWingGuru

If you want to learn the violin, go to a violin player. If you want to lift, learn from someone that lifts! Bugs is right with the "mine" comment. Learn from the people that can. Not the people that write books about "can".

Here are some straight forward things i'd follow.

1. Learn the lifts correctly. Bad form, unless intentional (I.e. partial reps, forced reps) kill growth. Bad form means you are using the wrong muscles, are likely to hurt yourself, and you will not see gains.

2. Get on a periodized routine! Either veritical periodization or linear periodization. Unless you are pushing yourself and developing new maxs and hypertrophy, you will never get stronger.  If someone has you consistently doing over 12 reps on an exercise, stop listening to them. They are making your lifts catabolic and aerobic.

3.Use the big 3 lifts. Squat, deads, bench.

4.  Do not use the finessed olympic lifts. The technique is difficult to master and you could be spending your time getting stronger instead of refining something 90% of people do.

5. Eat like an animal. If you don't eat you won't get bigger and stronger. As much good food as you can possibly handle in a day. Eggs, Chicken, fish, and beef in that order should be your best friend.

6. Take a friggin multivitamin. Your mom was right, about this at least.

7. Sleep. 8 hours. Nap if you can't.

8. Stop chugging soda and energy drinks. Put a gallon of water in the freezer before you go to sleep and when you wake up try to finish the water before the end of the day.

9. Engage your core everyday. You are training to be an athlete. Connect the upper body and lower body with a strong core, otherwise your lifts do not translate well to the field/court.

10. Go to a powerlifting meet. Watch what the guys do and absorb as much information for your "lifting tool box" as possible.

11. Stick with a routine long enough to see if it works.

12. Change your routines about ever 4 to 5 weeks to confuse muscles and stimulate growth.

powerlifter90

couldn't have said it better myself.

there is a powerlifting meet in R-ville Nov 20th, its "small" bu there will be many good lifters (mostly raw) competing

the meet location is Back to Basics gym, lifting should start around 9am

Valleysports

+1 on that last post SingleWing!

I'll be in another timezone on the 20th, but I'm going to encourage my son to go to  the meet.  The 18yr old whom I said had workout with him, several post above, will be competing.

powerlifter90

pm me his name and I'll look for him.  I'll probably be sitting in a chair with the "red-white" switch

cav2012

Ok i got another question....more reps and lighter weights or lesser reps and heavier weights??? or both??

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: cav2012 on November 15, 2010, 05:04:32 pm
Ok i got another question....more reps and lighter weights or lesser reps and heavier weights??? or both??

Depends on what is going on and what is the goal.

Using the periodization model

Linear periodization- this involves workout cycles of usually four weeks. The idea is to start high reps and sets to develop hypertrophy and vasolation, the next period is a strength period that has less sets at between 3-5 reps, the next period is a max period that involves few reps and few sets and is to train your nervous system to handle heavier lifts.  The pros in this are that you see tremendous gains in strength. The cons are that it is difficult to time within the context of meets and sports seasons. A bigger con of these systems is that you lose a great deal of hypertrophy from the beginning of the cycle to the end of the cycle.  This is why the Russians who invented this system looked like obese eastern european cab drivers.  They had trained their nervous systems to the extremes but had never developed adequate hypertrophy to prevent serious injuries.

Vertical periodization- involves training for hypertrophy, strength, and power in one session. This is where the matrix that has floated around among powerlifters for years comes in. The workout has a set of 8 reps, 5 reps, 3 reps, and 3 sets of 1 rep, followed by a last set of 5 reps. Pros are that you are always adressing your max and remaining hypertrophic. Cons are that older lifters or lifters with nagging injuries can not sustain this type of effort level two to three times a week. This workout is great for beginners and for fat bodies like myself. In beginners you can add 100 to the bench in a matter of weeks and months. For a young fat body like me the resulting time to recooperate is short enough you can maintain a training regimen like this for sometime.

Undulating periodization- tthis is when you adress power (maxs), strength, and hypertrophy in different alternating workouts.  This is what the serious powerlifters use.  The hypertrophy days are frequently referred to as "speed days".  The difference between a speed day and a hypertrophy day is that you are using higher reps in both but one is done to failure while speed days are done to improve fast twitch fibers not to failure.  They both result in hypertrophy but are ends to different means.  The power day in an undulating cycle is called a heavy day. It is similar to the end of a linear periodization cycle but you do it once a week.  These often also contain deloading cycles or days, which are used to help form, joints, recooperation, ettc.  The pros of this system are amazing gains in strength and more hypertrophy than a linear periodization.  The cons are the amount of time and effort spent in all facets of your gym work, less hypertrophy than a vertical periodization, and finding the right guys to surround yourself with.

I personally see the merits in all of the systems. If you want to look impressive but not be strong just do 8 reps for 4 sets at a static weight (don't change weight between sets) and work on each muscle with two primary exercises in a 2 or 3 day rotation.  A month or two of that and you will look rather impressive, even if a stiff breeze could blow your weak butt over.

The only way to adequately train strength and hypertrophy is with undulating or vertical periodization.  Small guys and women benefit from linear periodization, but don't look impressive at all.  This is why schools that use the old bfs system are so much smaller than schools that use the other two periodizations.

powerlifter90

Personally I don't like or use periodization, for the simple fact that at times throughout the program you are actually lifting less than you are able in order to build more.  The experiences I've had with it, in the end I didn't get that great of results from it in the area of % gained on a 1RM. 
I train and teach to do a max effort max (upper and lower) body once per week using different variations of the primary exercise.  Then the other two days we do dynamic effort work designed to increase your quickness (bar speed).  How this works is you use your variations (the rotation and exercises in this program is where the science is) of your primary lift, exerting as much effort on the bar as you do on your 1RM.  Doing 3 sets of 8 or 2 sets of 10, with the reps requiring less time than it did for your 1RM.  (ie: bench press 3 sets of 8 with 50% or 1RM, 3 reps in 4 seconds, 45 seconds between sets).  After either the dynamic or max effort movement, depending on the day, we go into assistance and conditioning work (ie: max or dynamic bench day, tricep work, followed by an upper and mid back exercise)  In my program you only do the same work out, with the same exercises, once a month.  You size and weight are controlled more by your diet and caloric intake than anything else. 

cav2012

its max week at our school ...any tips on the dead lift??

powerlifter90

Quote from: cav2012 on November 17, 2010, 08:13:16 pm
its max week at our school ...any tips on the dead lift??

back FLAT, drop your butt...............................LOWER!!

now

drive your heals THROUGH the floor..........

I could come and yell at you what Kaz did at me one time, if that would help

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas