• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

7A Volleyball

Started by Valleysports, September 04, 2008, 11:33:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Valleysports

September 04, 2008, 11:33:01 am Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 11:24:13 pm by Valleysports
Was told that Conway beat MSM in the 5th game tonight.

Cabot beat Russellville in the 5th game.  Game was 18 - 16.
Gonna be a long season for Russellville - first time I've seen em play.  I was dissapointed and to make matters worse was told that's the best we've played this year.   

Havn't seen such bad officiating since last year at Cabot, but Volleyball isn't big in Central Conf.  Cabot uses kids as Line Judges and to keep score.  The two women calling the game only know In or Out.  Never called, over the net, double hits, 4 hits, running across the line, hardly anything.  They didn't neccessarily favor either school, just don't know Volleyball Officiating.  The highlight of the night was when a hard kill was made, the ball bounced off the floor, it was returned without the girl even bending over and the play continued.  But that's High School Volleyball.  I'll bet Van Buren is going to be amazed coming from the Western Conference.     

work-hard play-harder

Van Buren beat NLR at NLR tonight 3-2 (25-19, 25-18, 22-25, 21-25, 9-15)  You are right Valley, it was different

Valleysports

Hey work-hard play-harder, where did the team eat last night?  I feel bad that Van Buren has to travel 300 miles a game.  Guess the girls are trying to do homework on the bus?  This is exactly why Russellville fights to stay in 7A. 

What I'm wondering is if we should try to help schedule eating places along I-40, for Van Buren, or if there is anything else that might help?  There is a great, real burger place (best I've ever eaten), right on Hwy 7 / I-40 (Tech Exit), that I bet would help out.  Let me know if I can facilitate anything.

We should solicit the AAA to encourage the schools to drop the $5 door charge for each car traveling from Van Buren.  Several burs under my saddle, in this post!  ;D  Russellville Athletic Director took us to $5 adults / $4 students.  He waits at each game ready to do battle.  As a result we're losing fans who really can't afford it.  The students having to pay really ticks me off. >:( Dickerson 

7AFBFAN

Valleysports, agee, I drove to Little Rock from Fort Smith last night for football, $50 gas, pretty much another $50 for food and to get in. In volleyball there are two games a week so you can imagine the impact on a family supporting their children when they play two games a long distance away from home each week. 

work-hard play-harder

The bus stopped at Arby's.  I left them so I could be home before 11.  It was almost midnight when they got home.  DD is a geek so she said she enjoyed the long bus ride; it gave her time to finish her homework; the drive to NWA was never worth taking her books.

Leaving work early, 5 hours in a car, $40 in gas, $10 at the gate, and $20 for food.  At least we played all 5 games

Bob from Dumas

I'm not sure this is the right place to post, but I really appreciate Lanny, QF, valleysports and others for allowing/creating this volleyball forum.  I think it is great.  My daughter is in Jr. High and very much into volleyball.  We follow the 7A West and try to go to at least one match each week.

Thanks!!!

Quite Frankly

Bentonville Girls win LR tourney.

Click

work-hard play-harder

Russellville beat Van Buren 3-2.   

Great match Valleysports.  CJs was pretty good too!  On the not-so-great side, I don't think I have ever seen some many lifts called against both teams.  Anybody have a good definition for "prolonged contact"?

Valleysports

September 10, 2008, 06:48:43 am #8 Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 09:10:56 pm by Valleysports
DD said the Ref was tough last night.  The double hits have frustrated our girls year after year.  But I will say this, he (ref) will certainly take the time to explain to us how calls are made.  He teaches the Volleyball Ref Certification classes and etc.  Everytime one of us parents complain, he try's to drag us into class.  :D

I would say that Russellville's and Cabot's refereeing are at opposite ends of the scale and it actually puts the team that's not used to either way at a disadvantage?  When does Van Buren go to Cabot? 

Valleysports

September 11, 2008, 09:15:01 pm #9 Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 09:19:20 pm by Valleysports
Russellville slid by Conway 3-2 tonight, in a battle of who would make the most mistakes.  Evenly matched sets!

I know Conway is 2-1, Russellville 2-1, Van Buren, Cabot, MSM, NLR, & Central, have all lost at least 1.  What's Bryant doing Stattracker?

stattracker

Bryant lost to MSM the other night. Don't know anything tonight about High School

The 9th Grade hornets are 4-1 right now beating Lake Hamilton in straight sets. My DD had the Match winning kill. Proud Papa.

This is the first time the 9th graders have done this well. There could be a future for the Hornets soon in Volleyball.

work-hard play-harder

LR Central beats Van Buren 3-2

Article

volleyballhead

Bentonville heads down to Greenwood tomorrow morning for a nonconference match.  Both teams are undefeated.  Sophomore game starts at 10am.

volleyballhead

If you didn't make it to Greenwood this Saturday you missed one heck of a match.  Greenwood won in 5, 21-25, 25-23, 15-25, 25-23, 23-21.  Those scores are not exact except for game 5.  That's right, 23-21...what a battle.  The fifth game was 4-4, 7-7, 11-11, then just alternated points all the way until Greenwood made a move.  Best game of the year thus far!!!  Greenwood has now beat last years 5A, 6A, and 7A state champions and have bumped their record to 14-0.  What a game!!!

Valleysports

September 16, 2008, 01:55:08 pm #14 Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 05:56:44 pm by Valleysports
Russellville over Bryant monday night.
http://www.couriernews.com/archivedstory.php?ID=19442

work-hard play-harder

Conway over Van Buren tonight 3-1
Van Buren drops to 1-3 in conference

Valleysports

September 18, 2008, 08:38:32 pm #16 Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 09:48:42 am by Valleysports
Russellville over North Little Rock tonight.

Smithian

Bentonville beat Southside in 5.

Was a really good game, but in the fifth, the official just fell apart. Made a couple bad calls in Southside' favor to start and you can guess what way it went after that.

Valleysports

Russellville over Central tonight.

marian

way go Lady Cyclones, they are on a roll!!!! keep it up

Valleysports

I'm about to start calling schools if we don't get some help, work-hard.  Would like to know what Cabot, Conway, and MSM, records are.  Russellville plays MSM tomorrow night and Cabot next week.  Could easily drop both those games.  We've lost about 3 games to Cabot, can't seem to adjust our game plan!

work-hard play-harder

7A Central Standings through 9/24:
1)  Russellville    5-1
2)  Conway       5-1
3)  MSM           5-1
4)  Cabot          4-2
5)  Central        2-4
6)  Van Buren    2-4
7)  Bryant         1-5
8)  NLR             0-6

Any corrections?

Quite Frankly

Valleysports

THANK YOU WORK-HARD!  :D

I just logged on to post that 4, 7A Central teams are 5-1, but we were guessing on Cabot.  Russellville's play MSM in 2hrs, so someone will drop to 5-2.  Russellville plays Cabot next, Van Buren, & Conway, so the standings will shake out in the next two weeks.  The top 4, 7A Central teams could finish in any order.  Very evenly matched!

Work-Hard, did you find a convient source for the Standings?

Ty

Talked to a friend that plays at HBHS.

She said Rogers is HUGE>

stattracker

Bryant 9th graders win 2-1 over Sheridan. it was a great match. There were several rallies that went on forever or so it seemed.

Bryant 9th grade is now 6-2. This is the best start for a 9th grade team at Bryant.

Go Lady Hornets

work-hard play-harder

Cabot swept Van Buren tonight.  Cabot is 5-2, Van Buren is 2-5.  Didn't change the standings. 

Hey Valleysports, Who dropped to 5-2 tonight?

stattracker

Conway defeated LRC 3-2
MSM defeated Russellville 3-0
NLR defeated Bryant 3-1

The paper has Van Buren sweeping Cabot. Is that a misprint?

work-hard play-harder

work-hard play-harder

7A Central Standings through 9/25:

1)  Conway       6-1
2)  MSM           6-1
3)  Cabot          5-2
4)  Russellville    5-2
5)  Central        2-5
6)  Van Buren    2-5
7)  NLR             1-6
8)  Bryant         1-6

stattracker

Quote from: work-hard play-harder on September 26, 2008, 09:34:35 am
7A Central Standings through 9/25:

1)  Conway       6-1
2)  MSM           6-1
3)  Cabot          5-2
4)  Russellville    5-2
5)  Central        2-5
6)  Van Buren    2-5
7)  NLR             1-6
8)  Bryant         1-6

I have a feeling that Bryant could be in the cellar for quite some time. There are some very good players coming up so we'll see if they can bring it up.

Valleysports

Unfortunately Russellville has a pattern of playing a great first 1/2 of the season, then folding the second 1/2.  >:(  I think 7A Central will finish in the order we are in now, with the exception of Van Buren and Central.

1)  Conway       
2)  MSM           
3)  Cabot         
4)  Russellville           
5)  Van Buren 
6)  Central       
7)  NLR
8   Bryant

stattracker

Quote from: Valleysports on September 26, 2008, 11:15:44 am
Unfortunately Russellville has a pattern of playing a great first 1/2 of the season, then folding the second 1/2.  >:(  I think 7A Central will finish in the order we are in now, with the exception of Van Buren and Central.

1)  Conway       
2)  MSM           
3)  Cabot         
4)  Russellville           
5)  Van Buren 
6)  Central       
7)  NLR
8   Bryant

Hey valley, do we not even get a ")" behind our number?lol. Are we that bad?lol.

Valleysports

September 26, 2008, 05:15:42 pm #34 Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 05:19:38 pm by Valleysports
I tried to put the 8 infront of a ), but it came up with the same Sunglasses Icon your post has.  Type 8 and then ).  You'll get 8)

I don't think Bryant is much worse than the rest of us 7A Central Teams, Stat.  ::)  My personal opinion is that the 7A West coaches come from a different place than the 7A Central's come from.  It's like 7A Central is stuck at Rec League Level.  Just my Humble Opinion  :)

Ty

Is the West better than the Central?

7AFBFAN

Ty, the top 4 teams in the West will end up in the semifinals of state. The top team in the Central this year would battle for the 6th seed in the West.

Valleysports

September 27, 2008, 11:14:49 am #37 Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 11:17:04 am by Valleysports
I really hesitate to answer this question having followed your post, in other sports, and know you take great pride in the West.

The West Conference (including 5A & 6A) plays Volleyball at an advanced level compared to the Central Conference.  There is such a difference that we don't even banter back and forth about it.

Different theories have been offered as to why there is such a difference.  My thought is (QF / 7ABF / Work-Harder, chime in) that it ultimately comes from the different level of coaching.  Most West Players play for JO Teams, most Central Players do not.  The Central Players that do, travel to W or NW Arkansas to be on a JO Team.  There are a couple JO Programs in Central Arkansas now.  My theory is that the West Players get great JO Coaching, and then they play school ball for coaches who had great coaching before becoming coaches, like in JO VB or College VB themselves.  Central Coaches come from Central Schools and teach what they know.  I'm totally open to critique and would love to hear others thoughts on this.

Ty, you weren't looking for a YES or NO answer where you?  :D

7AFBFAN

I definitely respect Russellville and Conway as far as their volleyball programs go. When they have senior laden teams they can hang with the West. I think this year both teams are young so will struggle with the teams in the West who generally play a lot of seniors. The JO clubs associated with Fort Smith and Northwest Arkansas are both excellent clubs with the Northwest Arkansas club starting to be dominating in the state. You will continue to see the Northwest Arkansas teams get better while Southside remains strong in Fort Smith.

Ty

Quote from: Valleysports on September 27, 2008, 11:14:49 am
I really hesitate to answer this question having followed your post, in other sports, and know you take great pride in the West.

The West Conference (including 5A & 6A) plays Volleyball at an advanced level compared to the Central Conference.  There is such a difference that we don't even banter back and forth about it.

Different theories have been offered as to why there is such a difference.  My thought is (QF / 7ABF / Work-Harder, chime in) that it ultimately comes from the different level of coaching.  Most West Players play for JO Teams, most Central Players do not.  The Central Players that do, travel to W or NW Arkansas to be on a JO Team.  There are a couple JO Programs in Central Arkansas now.  My theory is that the West Players get great JO Coaching, and then they play school ball for coaches who had great coaching before becoming coaches, like in JO VB or College VB themselves.  Central Coaches come from Central Schools and teach what they know.  I'm totally open to critique and would love to hear others thoughts on this.

Ty, you weren't looking for a YES or NO answer where you?  :D
Haha, no I wasn't. Thanks for all the information.

Quite Frankly

It's simply a fact that the West is the best and has shown that as far as 7A volleyball goes and for that matter 5A with Siloam as well.  Competition breed competitions.  I have no doubt that money and summer team ball is a factor.

I do also agree with the raised point of coaching quality.  There are full time volleyball coaches all throughout the West.  They don't have some fill-in just covering or that is a part time coach.  Time is devoted year round and it shows.

Valleysports

QuoteThere are full time volleyball coaches all throughout the West.  They don't have some fill-in just covering or that is a part time coach.  Time is devoted year round and it show

I was fishing a bit on that - but it is true then, a lot of coaches in the West have formal training?  Is there one at Fayetteville, that played for the Razorback's.  Our's coach's coach other sports and coach Volleyball during Volleyball Season.

Ty

Quote from: Valleysports on September 27, 2008, 01:10:20 pm
QuoteThere are full time volleyball coaches all throughout the West.  They don't have some fill-in just covering or that is a part time coach.  Time is devoted year round and it show

I was fishing a bit on that - but it is true then, a lot of coaches in the West have formal training?  Is there one at Fayetteville, that played for the Razorback's.  Our's coach's coach other sports and coach Volleyball during Volleyball Season.
I know at one point the volleyball coach at one of the junior high teams in Springdale played for the Hogs. She eventually moved on but coached there for 3 years.

I'm just now getting interested in volleyball. The college I go to (Williams Baptist) has a very good team for our size and it is easily our most competitive sport. I think we had almost 100 students at the last game (which is quite a bit when you consider we only have ~350 resident students. I even saw ~8 professors at the game.

work-hard play-harder

Quote from: Valleysports on September 27, 2008, 11:14:49 am

I'm not so quick to blame coaching.  Federation rules practically prevent the coach from coaching.  They have to stay seated, can't raise their voice, etc.  A couple of years back, I watched a coach get a yellow card for raising her voice (to her team) during a time-out.

I would tend to look at other factors like affluence.  The schools with traditionally strong programs have more money which translates to better facilities.  You can also look at the families in the traditionally strong programs.  I have no evidence but I would guess that the girls from Bentonville and Southside are generally from wealthier families than the girls from NLR and LRC.  Probably fewer of the West girls have jobs and more of them have the opportunity to attend camps and travel to club tourneys.  And, maybe community's genetics has something to do with it; why does a school the size of Warren produce so many collegiate athletes while some much larger schools produce very few?

Bottom line, I don't think there is a simple answer.  Kids are kids and anybody can win--or lose--any given day.  That's why we play the game:)

7AFBFAN

In volleyball it is not true that any team can win on a given day. The top teams can get upset of course but it is not from just any team. It has to be from another team with a lot of talent.

work-hard play-harder

Isn't the definition of an upset when a team gets beaten by a less talented team.  Of course, Ramay Junior High is not going to beat Southside but volleyball is just like every other sport.  Talented teams get beaten by less--sometimes much less--talented teams every day.

Valleysports

QuoteI would guess that the girls from Bentonville and Southside are generally from wealthier families than the girls from NLR and LRC.
:D  Russellville's coach is from NLR!

I'm not blaming the coaches, I'm saying that they are a product of their environment.  Our kids scrap, dig, and scramble all over the court, but then they bump it over the net and get a 1,2,Slam back down their throats.  Central teams just play Volleyball, they don't know anything about setting up plays and etc.  Anyway when has a central team hung with a west team?  If they did, it was from catching the west team off guard by dinking it or something.

Ty

Quote from: Valleysports on September 29, 2008, 05:48:13 pm
QuoteI would guess that the girls from Bentonville and Southside are generally from wealthier families than the girls from NLR and LRC.
:D  Russellville's coach is from NLR!

I'm not blaming the coaches, I'm saying that they are a product of their environment.  Our kids scrap, dig, and scramble all over the court, but then they bump it over the net and get a 1,2,Slam back down their throats.  Central teams just play Volleyball, they don't know anything about setting up plays and etc.  Anyway when has a central team hung with a west team?  If they did, it was from catching the west team off guard by dinking it or something.
We've got two girls here from the West part of the state.

Stephanie Hart, from Morritoln, who hits REALLY REALLY hard.

Caitlin Wakefielf, from Benton, who is an all-around great player.

stattracker

The 9th grade Hornets won again last night in 3 very good sets with Lake Hamilton. LH has a very good server with a lot of top spin and that ball was dropping.

The Horbets are now 8-3 with a matchup with Conway Blue tonight for sole postion of 1st place in the conference.

Go Hornets!!!!!!!!!!

bobcat81

Quote from: stattracker on October 07, 2008, 10:42:52 am
The 9th grade Hornets won again last night in 3 very good sets with Lake Hamilton. LH has a very good server with a lot of top spin and that ball was dropping.

The Horbets are now 8-3 with a matchup with Conway Blue tonight for sole postion of 1st place in the conference.

Go Hornets!!!!!!!!!!

I know this is just a technicality, but I think that's 1st place in the south division of the Central Arkansas JH Conference.  I believe Greenbrier is leading in the north and may still be undefeated in the north division of the conference. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas