• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who does more with less...

Started by Vtown04, January 21, 2018, 04:30:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Vtown04

I have always thought 4A football in Arkansas is the most competitive all around compared to the other classifications.  I have been thinking about this one and thought it might make a good offseason topic.  What program/coaching staff does more with less.  A few things to keep in mind...
1) This is not a dig towards any school's players about their talent.  Would hope this could be taken as a compliment that kids are playing above and beyond what their 40yrd time says.
2) When I say "more" I'm not talking about championships.  Simply what teams do you see play and think during warm ups, "these guys don't look like much" but then at kick off you realize they can play ball and your team is going to have to play a good game to get out of there with a win.
3) Don't be a homer and throw in your team, if its true somebody else will mention them. Feel free to include any teams from higher/lower classifications.

Trojanbird

Any Given Friday

1. McCrory - They just always seem to be a solid program that doesn't have a ton of athletes.

2. Parkers Chapel - Usually just a tough nose group of guys that play 4 quarters. They have their down years, and their good years, but always fun to watch them play.

3. Benton - They were not very good for years, but in past several years they seem to always play hard. Few times I have seen them recently they always have big lineman, but compared to the rest of their classification generally aren't as athletic. Guess they would be my vote for the bigger classification school who exceeds expectations.

4. Dequeen - Even though looking back at their record this past year is the only recent success they had I watched them play Magnolia this year, and you talk about overachieving. Pre game they looked like a bunch of freshman warming up, but when lights came on their were 11 guys swarming the ball, and shutdown every aspect of Magnolias offense. Although I only saw them once they stick out as that team that exceeds expectation. Not sure what is different this past year for dequeen, but they headed in right direction.

Untimeddown

I like it.  Just because you have better athletes, doesn't make you better.
My list in no order, just my thoughts:

McClellen- bad before, bought in, wins.  Just can't beat the UPA.

Cabot- little, angry, in the right spot,

Batesville- same thing, don't understand it.

Glen Rose- same, slow, white, mean, in the right spot, every year

Maybe Morrilton.
I don't know, maybe its system or longevity of coaching staff with support of admin?

SUGARTOWN

Booneville and Prairie Grove are two that come to my mind.

Both of these schools are "system" schools. They have a good system that they've been running for years and it works well with their pool of kids. You can count on these programs to compete for a conference championship most years and be a tough out in the playoffs, especially at home.

Jimbo Morphis

bigchief72455

Jimbo Morphis

Untimeddown

Rivercrest continues to reload athletes.
I'm not sure about Greenwood, I mean they are continuely very good, but do they get a steady stream of athletes (move ins) because of this.

OB11

Quote from: Oldman on January 22, 2018, 11:06:30 am
Rivercrest did not do more with less this year.

Oldman, I know you made the trip to Wilson this past year. You've got to admit with the facilities they are working out of, they're definitely working with a lot less than most places. From an athleticism standpoint, they no doubt have more than most places. But for those kids to be as good as they are with the resources they have, it's astounding the amount of success they have been able to sustain. Lots of kids that have bought in and coaches that do a heck of a job.

They are coming close to completion on a new stadium though! So that argument will only be valid for a few more months. Haha

Vtown04

Booneville was one of the top teams that came to mind for me too. 

I can't get on board with McClellan doing "more with less", Coach Moody has no doubt done really good things there and I think its great for there to be a Little Rock public school relevant in football again, but there wasn't anything "less" about that offensive line or some of the defensive players I saw running around the field.

I also thought about Prairie Grove/Pea Ridge, but am not familiar enough with them.

Redlinebacker32

I agree 100% with booneville. They never have elite athletes, but they always are sound, physical, and efficient. They should dominate 3A next year.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: OB11 on January 22, 2018, 11:40:20 am
Oldman, I know you made the trip to Wilson this past year. You've got to admit with the facilities they are working out of, they're definitely working with a lot less than most places. From an athleticism standpoint, they no doubt have more than most places. But for those kids to be as good as they are with the resources they have, it's astounding the amount of success they have been able to sustain. Lots of kids that have bought in and coaches that do a heck of a job.

They are coming close to completion on a new stadium though! So that argument will only be valid for a few more months. Haha
Gotcha, I was looking at it more from an athletic view.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Redlinebacker32 on January 22, 2018, 01:33:17 pm
I agree 100% with booneville. They never have elite athletes, but they always are sound, physical, and efficient. They should dominate 3A next year.
Lets not get carried away. Lets go with they should compete for a State Championship.

Untimeddown

I agree with oldman.  I am not talking about having a couple of brothers winning a ship, more with less.
Also, McClellen was awful before, now put on the schedule, see what happens.

polksalet

Jimbo Morphis

A who does less with more thread would be more fun.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Oldman on January 23, 2018, 09:38:15 am
A who does less with more thread would be more fun.

And probably get shut down in about 10 minutes.

Overdahill

Jabali

Vtown04

Greenwood does more with more.
[/quote]

+1

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Jabali on January 23, 2018, 08:20:30 pm
Greenwood does more with more.
Do they have better athletes than Pine Bluff?

bigchief72455

Quote from: Oldman on January 22, 2018, 11:06:30 am
Rivercrest did not do more with less this year.
Facility wise they did. Also I look at some of the teams they have played as well. There are some, and will be in the future, teams that have boasted quite a bit more than the Colts when it has come to roster size and even talent. I feel they have done an amazing job in competing and excelling. There are a number of good teams in Miss. Co. and they retain a good number of the talent for the area. Hopefully their new head coach will continue their traditions of success. To go from the state champ to one of the smaller teams in a new classification is sometimes a hard jump. The Colts have proven they can win.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: bigchief72455 on January 24, 2018, 10:33:15 am
Facility wise they did. Also I look at some of the teams they have played as well. There are some, and will be in the future, teams that have boasted quite a bit more than the Colts when it has come to roster size and even talent. I feel they have done an amazing job in competing and excelling. There are a number of good teams in Miss. Co. and they retain a good number of the talent for the area. Hopefully their new head coach will continue their traditions of success. To go from the state champ to one of the smaller teams in a new classification is sometimes a hard jump. The Colts have proven they can win.
They would have had no problem competing with the top of 4a this past year.

hogfan10

Quote from: Oldman on January 24, 2018, 10:39:56 am
They would have had no problem competing with the top of 4a this past year.

You think they would have held their own with Arkadelphia, Robinson, Warren, Ashdown, PR, PG, etc. I think they would've struggled mightily with the first three, the top of 4A.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 24, 2018, 11:26:40 am
You think they would have held their own with Arkadelphia, Robinson, Warren, Ashdown, PR, PG, etc. I think they would’ve struggled mightily with the first three, the top of 4A.
Yes I do, having been in 3a and 4a the last few years there isn't any difference in the top teams in my opinion.

Qhcaoc

Quote from: Oldman on January 24, 2018, 01:07:23 pm
Yes I do, having been in 3a and 4a the last few years there isn't any difference in the top teams in my opinion.

There was quite a bit of difference in team speed between robinson and rivercrest

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Qhcaoc on January 24, 2018, 01:25:33 pm
There was quite a bit of difference in team speed between robinson and rivercrest
Seemed to be quite a bit of difference in Robinson and Arkadelphia.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Oldman on January 24, 2018, 01:30:43 pm

What makes you think that?

hogfan10

Quote from: Oldman on January 24, 2018, 01:30:43 pm

Really, I didn't notice it.

STUNNA

River crest would have got manhandled against arky, warren, and Robinson...

hogfan10

Quote from: Oldman on January 24, 2018, 01:07:23 pm

Arkadelphia had 22 starters, one for each position, no two-ways, with speed across the board. I don't see Rivercrest matching that. Robinson almost the same, and Warren to a lesser extent; but their two-ways were legit athletes. Rivercrest was good, but not that good. That's just the top 3 in 4A; it's doubtful RC could match Ashdown at year end with it's two best athletes injured. The size, speed, athleticism of those 4 teams was pretty impressive.

Jabali

Quote from: Oldman on January 24, 2018, 10:31:14 am
Do they have better athletes than Pine Bluff?
More Bulldogs than Zebras on the Razorback football roster lately. ???

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Jabali on January 24, 2018, 06:02:28 pm
More Bulldogs than Zebras on the Razorback football roster lately. ???
So?

AT

Alma under Coach Vines would make this list easily.

I'd still say in general they could make this list. Alma has very few D1 football players and D2 is even hit or miss on a given year.

Jabali

Quote from: Oldman on January 24, 2018, 07:09:26 pm
So?

Just answering your question with a fact. Feel free to explain why you think Greenwood does "more with less".

Jimbo Morphis

My opinion. Pine Bluff has better athletes and Greenwood has better coaching and academics.

4real

Quote from: Almatrackster on January 24, 2018, 07:11:16 pm
Alma under Coach Vines would make this list easily.

I'd still say in general they could make this list. Alma has very few D1 football players and D2 is even hit or miss on a given year.
true on coach vines. But since he retired, I haven't heard many folks from alma brag about how much overachieving they are doing?  Maybe I'm missing something

incogneto

Greenwood, when you go watch thier practices or workouts you realize they don't have an abundance of superior athletes.

Dart@1090

How on Earth is Arkadelphia a 4A school with a town population of 10,000+?  have never been to the town itself is a retirement community that doesn't contribute to the student body?  I ask because most populations for 4A schools range from say 6500-3000 for a town population.   

BigLion10

Quote from: Dart@1090 on January 29, 2018, 11:38:19 am
How on Earth is Arkadelphia a 4A school with a town population of 10,000+?  have never been to the town itself is a retirement community that doesn't contribute to the student body?  I ask because most populations for 4A schools range from say 6500-3000 for a town population.
Do they count the college students??

NWA Hawg

Malvern is the same as well. Around 10,000 and still a 4A school. I dont get it.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: fann07 on January 29, 2018, 12:27:41 pm
Malvern is the same as well. Around 10,000 and still a 4A school. I dont get it.

Stuttgart is about 9000 and right in the middle of the 4A enrollment wise.

OrangeCrush.

Malvern probably has kids that go to Glen Rose or Ouachita that live in the city limits of Malvern. Arkadelphia has a lot of college kids that live off campus that spikes the population.

Jimbo Morphis

2 colleges?

footballfan-tastic

I think there is a difference with the idea that doing more with less is the same as winning with no talent.

AT

Quote from: 4real on January 24, 2018, 09:20:12 pm
true on coach vines. But since he retired, I haven't heard many folks from alma brag about how much overachieving they are doing?  Maybe I'm missing something

Not a lot of bragging as state championships and long state tournament runs haven't happened, but Coach L hasn't had the same sweet pot to work with that Coack Dilbeck had. His best athlete, Brayden Johnson this, made a great decision and signed with Ouachita Baptist this year. A great school, but even our best athlete got very little interest and I don't know if he got any offers form D-1 schools. FCS or FBS.

Honestly, Coach Lough is probably going through one of Alma's biggest dry spells in terms of talent right now and still winning conference championships. I think the next few years will really bring this out.

Coach Vines brought a high standard, but I can't help but think Alma has still kept some semblance of being a top 8 team every year under Coach L.

Now Coach Dilbeck had Isaac McCoy, Matt Vinson, Jason Hensley, Patrick Lewis..heck even on the same team. I like Coach D and he had to deal with being Coach Vines successor as an outsider, but the lack of success we had with them wasn't what Alma is used to.

hogfan10

2 colleges, retirees, close proximity to Gurdon/centerpoint/ouachita/Bismarck. But, I agree I've always been amazed that towns half the size have enrollments as large or larger. I assume those towns with a smaller population are somewhat county schools.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 29, 2018, 09:19:32 pm
2 colleges, retirees, close proximity to Gurdon/centerpoint/ouachita/Bismarck. But, I agree I’ve always been amazed that towns half the size have enrollments as large or larger. I assume those towns with a smaller population are somewhat county schools.
Like Sheridan

Nacho

Quote from: Oldman on January 29, 2018, 06:26:36 pm
2 colleges?

Henderson State University and the school across the street Ouachita Baptist University. They do not count the college students so our population almost doubles during school. We have a bunch of kids who go to Gurdon, Centerpoint and Ouachita High School.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas