• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How much does soccer cost a school?

Started by beeroe, April 07, 2016, 11:17:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

beeroe

By your estimations what does it cost for a school to have a soccer program? Cost per player?

And how does that compare to other school sports? Cost per player?

Here are what I assume are the expenses:
Coach stipend
Uniforms
Equipment
Field maintenance
Ref Fees
Travel Fees

Capital expenses to start a new program
Goals
Equipment
Uniforms

I am assuming that the actual cost per player is cheaper than football, baseball... etc. what do you guys think?

There are somewhere around 210 schools in the state with football programs. So they have a field. There are 101 schools with soccer. So it seems there is great potential to grow the sport significantly in our state.

beach bum

April 07, 2016, 11:53:38 am #1 Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 11:58:43 am by beach bum
I know its cheaper than football, basketball, and baseball. Look at the cost of one full uniform for football, the cost of a gym in basketball, or simply a bat in baseball. I have said it before if a school doesn't have soccer it is because no one cares in the school & town, or if participation would be high enough then obviously the administration does not care. If countries in Central America, Africa, and southeast Asia can afford it we can.

jimmyt

I know goals and uniforms cost the most. You could get a descent set of goals for 4K. You could order uniforms (jersey,shorts, socks) for around $70-$90 per player.

I bet a school could start a program from scratch easily with 6k-7k.

Budget a $1500/year stipend and roughly $1500 for refs.

We need more schools with soccer programs. What schools would or should be possibly adding in the next 3-5 years? I'd say Alma, Ozark, Bald Knob, Fountain Lake to name a few...

chandler

I've heard Lincoln will play a JV schedule next year, then a varsity schedule the next.

chandler

Farmington should... don't know if they ever will.

Coach Sturdivant, Alma

Quote from: jimmyt on April 07, 2016, 12:37:50 pm
I know goals and uniforms cost the most. You could get a descent set of goals for 4K. You could order uniforms (jersey,shorts, socks) for around $70-$90 per player.

I bet a school could start a program from scratch easily with 6k-7k.

Budget a $1500/year stipend and roughly $1500 for refs.

We need more schools with soccer programs. What schools would or should be possibly adding in the next 3-5 years? I'd say Alma, Ozark, Bald Knob, Fountain Lake to name a few...

Would love to see my alma mater start the soccer program back up!

Hugo Sanchez

they never will, could never replace a LEGEND like Corey Sturd.......

Coach Sturdivant, Alma

Quote from: Hugo Sanchez on April 07, 2016, 01:25:35 pm
they never will, could never replace a LEGEND like Corey Sturd.......

hopefully you're wrong on the first part...definitely know the second part isn't true  ;D

Coach Sturdivant, Alma

I do recall Paris asking at one time what the startup cost/what they would need to start a program. Believe that was around 2010/11.

AirWarren

Warren soccer has been great for the community and helping with the growth of the sport.

Plus, by next soccer season, the kids will be playing on a fresh new turf.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Qb2Qzw7j6tclFKMVpvb0x0Nm9mTlRmWkZkdnNhV2ozQTg0/view?pref=2&pli=1

MDXPHD

Quote from: AirWarren on April 07, 2016, 02:48:38 pm
Warren soccer has been great for the community and helping with the growth of the sport.

Plus, by next soccer season, the kids will be playing on a fresh new turf.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Qb2Qzw7j6tclFKMVpvb0x0Nm9mTlRmWkZkdnNhV2ozQTg0/view?pref=2&pli=1

It does help that Warren is good at the sport already. I'm impressed at how quick Warren took off. They have some great athletes.

Some schools could easily start a program, but don't have kids interested. When they do start the program, the kids struggle and it's hard to maintain the numbers. I know it's hard for everyone to believe, but it has a lot to do with the kids in some places too.

ReddieKnightTrojan

In my sports management class at HSU, Dr. Thig said that the biggest expense for soccer was trainers and prevention and treatment of lower leg injuries.

mijally

Quote from: MDXPHD on April 08, 2016, 06:06:52 am
It does help that Warren is good at the sport already. I'm impressed at how quick Warren took off. They have some great athletes.

Some schools could easily start a program, but don't have kids interested. When they do start the program, the kids struggle and it's hard to maintain the numbers. I know it's hard for everyone to believe, but it has a lot to do with the kids in some places too.
I agree with that. The kids generate the interest first. Then it's up to the parents and community to support it with time, effort, and dollars. Warren, like Maumelle, are fortunate to have had this from the beginning.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas