• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Deciphering the blended 6A/7A conferences for playoffs

Started by sevenof400, March 22, 2015, 12:38:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenof400

March 22, 2015, 12:38:43 pm Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:36:24 am by sevenof400
The following is a quote from page 81 of the current AAA Handbook (we will need this info at the end of the season):
Rule 3. CERTIFYING TEAMS TO STATE TOURNAMENT
A. 7A and 6A — In the 6A South and in the 7A West Conference, the top six teams will make the playoffs
and be seeded for conference play within those conferences. The AAA tie-breaker system will be
used for all ties.

In the 7A/6A Central and in the 7A/6A East, play-off determination will be based solely on the
competition of like schools for each respective classification. Only the top three schools in 6A and the
top three schools in 7A from each conference will advance to the play-offs from the 7A/6A Central and
from the 7A/6A East. The AAA tie-breaker system will be used for all ties.

Teams will be placed on a rotating bracket. Schools must play against all schools assigned to their
conference to compete for a conference championship and to qualify for the state championship.

Go Postal

March 23, 2015, 09:16:32 am #1 Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 09:21:41 am by Go Postal
Here are a couple more links pertaining to soccer...

http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/Soccer/2015/2015_Soccer_Conferences.pdf

http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/Soccer/2015/Soccer_handbook_2015.pdf

side note:  I did see where they made a mistake on the 4A boys 2014 champs.  They have DeQueen listed instead of Green Forest.

sevenof400

March 24, 2015, 09:53:32 am #2 Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 10:11:07 am by sevenof400
So as a follow up on this, here are a few conclusions (hopefully correct):

• The conference standings as currently configured for the blended 6A/7A conferences are essentially worthless. Using the 6A/7A Central as an example, matches between Russellville (6A) and Bryant (7A) have been rendered essentially meaningless in terms of qualifying teams for their respective state tournaments.
  • Since the 6A/7A Central has only three 6A teams (Russellville, Greenwood, and Siloam Springs), all three of these teams will advance to the state tournament in Searcy this year.
  • The 7A teams in the 6A/7A Central (Bryant, LR Catholic [Mount St. Mary on the girls side], Conway, and Van Buren) are in a four teams for three playoff spots scenario.
  • The 6A/7A East teams breakdown as follows: 6A: Jonesboro, Marion, Mountain Home and Searcy.  This is a four teams for three playoff spots scenario.
  • The 6A/7A East teams breakdown as follows: 7A: Cabot, LR Central, NLR and West Memphis. This is a four teams for three playoff spots scenario.

With this in mind, I am going to adjust the game results listed in the respective conference standings to reflect ONLY the game played within these smaller groups so the standings will be an accurate reflection of where each team stands in terms of playoff qualification. 

Please post any thoughts, concerns or questions on this in this thread.

Go Postal

Can they make this more confusing?  I'm too use to the easier 5A scenarios in ANY sport.  32 teams, four conferences, best 4 teams from the 4 conferences (16 teams) to go to playoffs.  Period.  Makes conference games that much better.
I can see why teams that have to move up or down from the 5A could not like (or maybe like) how the way the playoffs are played.
I can see why teams that had to move down or up to the 5A are satisfied (or dissatisfied) on how the playoffs are played. 

Now, cycle change is looming in the close future once again.  I'm not sure that I want to look what that might be like.  Maybe FUBAR? ;)

sevenof400

Although this is old, it still applies to the current 7A/6A conferences. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas