• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NLR forfeits

Started by Brian G, February 05, 2015, 04:19:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

Entire 2013-14 season.  Will include them vacating theur 2014 title. More when I get home

RTF

All about to hit the fan

bleudog

February 05, 2015, 04:27:21 pm #2 Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 04:51:01 pm by bleudog
NORTH LITTLE ROCK (KATV) - North Little Rock High School has notified the Arkansas Activities Association that it was forfeiting all of its varsity football wins and varsity boys' basketball wins during the 2013-2014 school year in which an ineligible player participated.

According to a AAA press release, the forfeit includes 10 wins from the 2013 football season, and at least 24 wins from what was considered a state championship season in which the team had a 26-2 record.

The school surrendered the 2014 Class 7A boys state basketball championship trophy to the AAA.

AAA executive director Lance Taylor said, "We are grateful to North Little Rock High School for its integrity and honesty while dealing with a sensitive issue."

AAA says the NLR school district self-reported their violation of AAA rules and took immediate action. The AAA agreed that a violation did occur.

Channel 7 News will update this story tonight on Channel 7 News at 5 and 6.

http://www.katv.com/story/28037616/nlr-hs-forfeits-football-basketball-wins

Burks

News reported it's over KJ Hill's transfer from Bryant to NLR.

Oldbadger

Quote from: Burks on February 05, 2015, 05:12:34 pm
I am so sad for the other kids who play for NLR.  They had no hand in this yet they will suffer!

neds

Well Mack there you go, not 'an opinion or a possibility anymore'
Just a fact

mack

Quote from: neds on February 05, 2015, 07:37:14 pm
Well Mack there you go, not 'an opinion or a possibility anymore'
Just a fact

Yes.  I was wrong from the beginning.

CathywithaC

Quote from: Oldbadger on February 05, 2015, 06:40:42 pm
I am so sad for the other kids who play for NLR.  They had no hand in this yet they will suffer!
sorry for the kids and Coach Rice, a truly decent man who doesn't deserve to have Bolding's crap blow back on him and his team.  I wish he would think about those innocent kids and just slink off into the sunset.

Brian G

First of all, I think Coach Rice is collateral damage here.  I'll share my overall thoughts in a bit.

mack

Quote from: CathywithaC on February 05, 2015, 08:10:38 pm
sorry for the kids and Coach Rice, a truly decent man who doesn't deserve to have Bolding's crap blow back on him and his team.  I wish he would think about those innocent kids and just slink off into the sunset.

It would appear that the penalty is the 2013 -14 season and the BB state championship.  Nothing was said about this year, and KJs eligibility.  If he had transferred in and had to sit out a year because his address was Bryant, I think the rule is that he'd have to set out a year.  Does that make him eligible this year?  Even if this is the case, I hope Coach Rice does not let him play from here on out.  It just doesn't seem right to let him play after this scandal.

AT

From an article on www.arpreps.com:

"It is uncertain whether or not Springdale will be declared the new champion. In 2001, Little Rock Hall was awarded the state championship after Little Rock Central used an ineligible player in the title game."

That's interesting. I never knew that tidbit of information.

mack

Quote from: Almatrackster on February 05, 2015, 08:22:16 pm

"It is uncertain whether or not Springdale will be declared the new champion. In 2001, Little Rock Hall was awarded the state championship after Little Rock Central used an ineligible player in the title game."

They should,,,,,,

ricepig

Quote from: mack on February 05, 2015, 08:17:31 pm
Quote from: CathywithaC on February 05, 2015, 08:10:38 pm

It would appear that the penalty is the 2013 -14 season and the BB state championship.  Nothing was said about this year, and KJs eligibility.  If he had transferred in and had to sit out a year because his address was Bryant, I think the rule is that he'd have to set out a year.  Does that make him eligible this year?  Even if this is the case, I hope Coach Rice does not let him play from here on out.  It just doesn't seem right to let him play after this scandal.

That's my question too. Does a player who played as an ineligible player satisfy the requirement to sit out a year? It wouldn't seem to be anyway possible, but it is the AAA.

Cabotred

February 05, 2015, 08:52:40 pm #13 Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:06:35 pm by Cabotred
Quote from: Almatrackster on February 05, 2015, 08:22:16 pm

The title should be vacated.  I understand the frustration this causes Springdale, but every team that NLR beat last year got screwed and could say if NLR didnt play with an ineligible player things might have been different.

Basically same situation as Ohio State beating U of A in Sugar Bowl, a few years ago..........  Were we given the title?

Brian G

Exactly.

They will forfeit conference too.

ricepig

Quote from: B.G. on February 05, 2015, 08:53:31 pm
Exactly.

Good deal, except we don't put up banners for conference titles in basketball, barely have room for the 11 state championship ones. Now, football and baseball, we've got room, lots of room.

Cabotred

February 05, 2015, 09:04:21 pm #16 Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:07:12 pm by Cabotred
NM. Hit quote instead of modify

Cabotred

Quote from: ricepig on February 05, 2015, 09:03:26 pm
Exactly.

Good deal, except we don't put up banners for conference titles in basketball, barely have room for the 11 state championship ones. Now, football and baseball, we've got room, lots of room.

You all do need a new arena..........  Just saying

ricepig

Quote from: Cabotred on February 05, 2015, 09:08:39 pm
Quote from: ricepig on February 05, 2015, 09:03:26 pm
Exactly.

You all do need a new arena..........  Just saying

That won't happen in my lifetime, or my kids, or ........We spent $2mil on the lobby and dressing rooms, coaches offices, media room etc. 

Brian G

SPECIAL REPORT
ARKANSAS ACTIVITIES ASSOCIATION
3920 RICHARDS ROAD, NORTH LITTLE ROCK, AR 72117
OFFICE:        501-955-2500             FAX:          501-955-2600

Date:               February 5, 2015
Re:                  North Little Rock HS Athletic Forfeits

North Little Rock High School notified the Arkansas Activities Association on Thursday that it was forfeiting all of its varsity football wins and varsity boys' basketball wins during the 2013-2014 school year in which an ineligible player participated.

The forfeit includes 10 wins from the 2013 football season, and at least 24 wins from what was considered a state championship season of 26-2. North Little Rock also surrendered the 2014 Class 7A boys state basketball championship trophy to the AAA.

"We are grateful to North Little Rock High School for its integrity and honesty while dealing with a sensitive issue," AAA executive director Lance Taylor said. The district self-reported what is considered a violation of AAA rules and took immediate action. The AAA agrees that a violation occurred.

Nicole Cunningham
Media Assistant
Arkansas Activities Association
3920 Richards Rd.
North Little Rock, AR 72117
Ph: 501-955-2500 Fax: 501-955-2600
Visit us at www.ahsaa.org

noonerricky

K.J. was supposed to sit out a year bc I believe he was a sophomore that season. Had he been in 9th grade nothing would have ever been said. What's the status of the football coach?

admorris24

I believe the transfer sit out a year rule only applies when going from public to private school

ricepig

Quote from: admorris24 on February 06, 2015, 09:42:28 am
I believe the transfer sit out a year rule only applies when going from public to private school

Nope,  page 36 of the handbook states after 365 day at the other school, you are eligible.

CincyGuyintheFort

No matter what. If it was KJ Hill who was ineligible. Its not like they were playing with some 24 year old. It was over some I'm sure complicated transfer rules. Nothing to do at all with actual performance on the field / court. So no matter what, take all their wins and titles. Everyone knows what happens on the court, they're the champs, period to the people who really know.

Lions84

Sad story for all the other kids who played at NLR !

ricepig

Quote from: CincyGuyintheFort on February 06, 2015, 09:51:26 am
No matter what. If it was KJ Hill who was ineligible. Its not like they were playing with some 24 year old. It was over some I'm sure complicated transfer rules. Nothing to do at all with actual performance on the field / court. So no matter what, take all their wins and titles. Everyone knows what happens on the court, they're the champs, period to the people who really know.

So, if Har-Her were to win with a lot of illegal transfers, that would be ok?

CathywithaC

Quote from: ricepig on February 06, 2015, 09:46:32 am

Nope,  page 36 of the handbook states after 365 day at the other school, you are eligible.
absolutely correct.  This is why this season isn't adversely impacted

ricepig

Quote from: CathywithaC on February 06, 2015, 10:05:21 am

Of course, it doesn't address if you illegally played the year before, but I guess Lance did his usual due diligence and said okey dokey.

CathywithaC

Quote from: ricepig on February 06, 2015, 10:08:31 am

Of course, it doesn't address if you illegally played the year before, but I guess Lance did his usual due diligence and said okey dokey.
this is only his second year at NLR so both have been addressed.  The post about 9th grade was incorrect.

ricepig

Quote from: CathywithaC on February 06, 2015, 11:49:24 am
Quote from: ricepig on February 06, 2015, 10:08:31 am

this is only his second year at NLR so both have been addressed.  The post about 9th grade was incorrect.

I understand that, but the bylaws don't address an ineligible athlete who didn't sit out, being eligible after 365 days. One must assume their only restriction is the 365 days, whether you played or didn't play during that time period.

CincyGuyintheFort

See thats taking it to the tenth degree extreme. Its all a case by case basis. I was just saying uts not like he was not supposed to be playing ball somewhere in Arkansas. Not like he was older or didnt attend school. That's all I'm saying. Yes its deff still wrong, but the transfer rules and regulations get kinda complicated id imagine.
But if NLR returns the champ, I guess then you have to give the trophy to Springdale, its only logical

ricepig

Quote from: CincyGuyintheFort on February 06, 2015, 12:22:14 pm
See thats taking it to the tenth degree extreme. Its all a case by case basis. I was just saying uts not like he was not supposed to be playing ball somewhere in Arkansas. Not like he was older or didnt attend school. That's all I'm saying. Yes its deff still wrong, but the transfer rules and regulations get kinda complicated id imagine.
But if NLR returns the champ, I guess then you have to give the trophy to Springdale, its only logical
Not necessarily, tatU vacated the Sugar Bowl for illegal players, but Arkansas wasn't named the winner.   ;D

RTF

When cheaters get caught the other team or teams are the winners. Atleast in my mind anyways... u play fair you get awarded.

CincyGuyintheFort

That's true but thats not a champ game. And we ALL know who won that game when we watched it on ESPN.    8)

ricepig

Quote from: CincyGuyintheFort on February 06, 2015, 02:31:42 pm
That's true but thats not a champ game. And we ALL know who won that game when we watched it on ESPN.    8)

A forfeit is a forfeit, correct? And those that watched NLR beat Springdale, would say the same. Brad Stamps is quoted in the paper today as saying NLR beat us on the court.

smallybells

Quote from: CincyGuyintheFort on February 06, 2015, 12:22:14 pm

Not disagreeing with your post in any way. I just think the AAA has way too many "case by case basis" rulings,loopholes in rules and muddled application of such. Uniformity and black and white rulings instead of gray areas appears to be a pipe dream though.

neds

THV 11 news (CBS) is reporting tonight . . .
They played a tape of a call where the step father said the check from the NLR foundation to him was legit and was a payment for hotdog buns , drinks , etc on purchases he made and was being reimbursed for. He said he had receipts.

ricepig

Quote from: neds on February 06, 2015, 06:06:18 pm
THV 11 news (CBS) is reporting tonight . . .
They played a tape of a call where the step father said the check from the NLR foundation to him was legit and was a payment for hotdog buns , drinks , etc on purchases he made and was being reimbursed for. He said he had receipts.

Yep, after consulting with his attorney, he re-remembered what it was for.

vtowneagles

Technically since NLR had to forfeit all games last year KJ did sit out! There isn't a game that counts that Kj played in

HorseFeathers

Well...I believe the complicated rules were taken out of the equation when the money exchanged hands...

FreeMoney

Breaking news---- Lance Taylor breaks his arm patting himself on the back for standing tall and issuing down the judgement on North Little Rock situation. He really earned our tax dollars on this one folks.

smallybells

Im sure Ill get torched for saying this but something tells me this ties in with this kid decomitting in some form or fashion....

FreeMoney

Quote from: HF on February 06, 2015, 08:54:33 pm
Well...I believe the complicated rules were taken out of the equation when the money exchanged hands...
And I will bet you one day soon that 600 dollars exchanging hands will be the tip of the iceberg. Remember this -- Urban Meyer and Ohio State are involved. Once again this is a prediction only.

Grizzlyfan

There's nothing complicated about the transfer rules if anyone chose to enforce.  The problem is coaches, administrators, and the AAA turning their head when it is obvious what's going on.  Like the Ft Smith kid playing football in Fayetteville this past season.

sunshine

The most unfortunate part of all the transfer shenanigans is that some parents seem to be using their children as a commodity that can be bought, sold, or traded. 

neds

Ohio State has a tough decision to make. Although not under Urban Meyer's watch this school is fresh off of probation. Wherever this player goes the NCAA will be three steps behind due to the allegations involved.
Don't be surprised if there is a release coming.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: neds on February 07, 2015, 11:18:04 am
Ohio State has a tough decision to make. Although not under Urban Meyer's watch this school is fresh off of probation. Wherever this player goes the NCAA will be three steps behind due to the allegations involved.
Don't be surprised if there is a release coming.
What we know now has nothing to do with Ohio State.  And what we know now has nothing to do with KJ Hill's college eligibility.

True Fan

It's just character questions.

No worries about that at Ohio State. ;)

They convinced one of coaches to delay announcing his departure until they got the ink dried of the Florida kid.

ricepig

Quote from: True Fan on February 07, 2015, 11:59:39 am
It's just character questions.

No worries about that at Ohio State. ;)

They convinced one of coaches to delay announcing his departure until they got the ink dried of the Florida kid.

Well, we just had a RB coach leave to go to the Saints, I'm sure we had him delay his departure to keep his recruits........wait, he would have had to get one, first.

OlGuyWicker

I thought I herd  on drive time that UofA sent KJ Hill a commitment letter just in case he changed his mind?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas