• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rison Fans

Started by Jimbo Morphis, December 07, 2018, 03:26:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbo Morphis

After one season in 3A I've decided that the majority Rison fans are insane. Is it a high water/ breeding issue or just fans that are spoiled by having a great coach for a long time?

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Oldman on December 07, 2018, 03:26:37 pm
After one season in 3A I've decided that the majority Rison fans are insane. Is it a high water/ in-breeding issue or just fans that are spoiled by having a great coach for a long time?

fixed it for you

Jimbo Morphis

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Oldman on December 07, 2018, 03:33:48 pm
High water causes that. Called bridge people.

I grew in the hills.  Unaware of that situation

Nature Boy

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on December 07, 2018, 03:37:12 pm
I grew in the hills.  Unaware of that situation

I had someone call me a hillbilly once. I told them, where I live there are no hills.

WonderWartHawg

After one season in 3A I've decided that the majority Rison fans are insane. Is it a high water/ breeding issue or just fans that are spoiled by having a great coach for a long time?

You really haven't met very many Rison fans, Oldman. Sounds like you may have met a couple of knuckleheads though. We have 'em just like everybody else.
Yes, Coach Totty is a great coach... but you do know that Rison was winning state titles before he took the job as well, don't you?
A long, strong tradition in place there helps a lot.

1wildcat

Cleveland county folks, when they can't find anyone to fight with have always just fought with each other. But at the same time you need to understand I can jump on my brother but you can't!

wildcatrider

Quote from: WonderWartHawg on December 07, 2018, 09:29:15 pm
You really haven't met very many Rison fans, Oldman. Sounds like you may have met a couple of knuckleheads though. We have 'em just like everybody else.
Yes, Coach Totty is a great coach... but you do know that Rison was winning state titles before he took the job as well, don't you?
A long, strong tradition in place there helps a lot.

AMEN... say it louder for the ones in the back!!!  Same 3 plays over 20 years = worn out

rattlerfan17

Quote from: wildcatrider on December 08, 2018, 12:38:18 pm
AMEN... say it louder for the ones in the back!!!  Same 3 plays over 20 years = worn out

Seems to be working for Booneville 😁

fffan

Quote from: rattlerfan17 on December 08, 2018, 01:21:00 pm
Seems to be working for Booneville 😁

Booneville was much better coached than Rison.  On offense and defense both.
I wish Coach Hyatt would come home to Rison to coach.

1wildcat

Quote from: fffan on December 08, 2018, 09:16:02 pm
Booneville was much better coached than Rison.  On offense and defense both.
I wish Coach Hyatt would come home to Rison to coach.
I guess it takes all type's. We move up to 3a and only make it to the semi finals in year 1 so fire the coach! Oldman was right, we sure got a few of em.

fffan

Quote from: 1wildcat on December 09, 2018, 01:15:41 am
I guess it takes all type's. We move up to 3a and only make it to the semi finals in year 1 so fire the coach! Oldman was right, we sure got a few of em.

Did you watch the game yesterday?
If so I think you'd have to agree that Booneville was a murderer h better coached team.
If you're not willing to admit that then you're not being objective.
The comment about Hyatt coming to Rison was only because they are a Rison family, not really a "Fire Totty" sentiment or movement.

1wildcat

Quote from: fffan on December 09, 2018, 07:57:27 am
Did you watch the game yesterday?
If so I think you'd have to agree that Booneville was a murderer h better coached team.
If you're not willing to admit that then you're not being objective.
The comment about Hyatt coming to Rison was only because they are a Rison family, not really a "Fire Totty" sentiment or movement.
I sure did, and yes Booneville had a better team, better coached is debatable. I agree that Hyatt is a good coach and yes I know the Hyatt family as well. (good people) But there are a lot of good coaches out there and no I wouldn't trade Totty for any of them. Hopefully Rison won't either.

WonderWartHawg

This is the same Coach Totty that took his team to Little Rock and outcoached Gus Malzhan and beat the invincible Shiloh Christian once upon a time. The man can coach and win. He got his 200th win along about mid season this year.

Buck Beefheart

Quote from: WonderWartHawg on December 09, 2018, 08:57:34 am
This is the same Coach Totty that took his team to Little Rock and outcoached Gus Malzhan and beat the invincible Shiloh Christian once upon a time. The man can coach and win. He got his 200th win along about mid season this year.
There have been many Coaches come here and win. None have enjoyed the same level of success after leaving.

1wildcat

Quote from: BurtBobJones on December 09, 2018, 09:18:42 am
There have been many Coaches come here and win. None have enjoyed the same level of success after leaving.
And none won as many games as Totty while here either.

Buck Beefheart

Quote from: 1wildcat on December 09, 2018, 09:24:55 am
And none won as many games as Totty while here either.
None have been long enough to do so. Parker was here 3 years and won 38 games. 12.66 per year average. Over 20 years, that averages out to 253 wins. I dont know the numbers, but I bet Whatley also averaged better than 10 wins. Im not advocating running the man off , as he IS top notch at young man building, but Im not drinking the koolaid. There are always improvements to be made no matter what job you are doing.

1wildcat

Quote from: BurtBobJones on December 09, 2018, 09:42:20 am
None have been long enough to do so. Parker was here 3 years and won 38 games. 12.66 per year average. Over 20 years, that averages out to 253 wins. I dont know the numbers, but I bet Whatley also averaged better than 10 wins. Im not advocating running the man off , as he IS top notch at young man building, but Im not drinking the koolaid. There are always improvements to be made no matter what job you are doing.
you can't compare a 3 year run to what is it now 18 for Totty. But from 2002 to 2004 Totty went 40-2. He has also been the only coach we've had that had to compete in 3a. Don't get me wrongI liked both Parker and Whatley as well. Just saying when you have a coach that has accomplished what Totty has for as long as he has you keep him as long as you can. We've also had coaches that didn't compare Totty, Whatley, or Parker.

Buck Beefheart

We've also had coaches that didn't compare Totty, Whatley, or Parker.
[/quote] Hines comes to mind. Anything before that was before my time.

1wildcat

Hey Oldman, what's the outlook for McGehee next year? I'm thinking Rison will be about the same, right back in the mix for another strong run at it.

1wildcat

Quote from: BurtBobJones on December 09, 2018, 11:28:47 am
no content found
That's crazy. I can click on the link I posted or where you quoted it and both work for me.

MR#1

I'd like to know why you've decided this "... majority [of] Rison fans are insane." What has led this to this conclusion? If you are truly an 'old man,' I would expect you to be wise and know that all fan bases have a village idiot or two (or three).

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: MR#1 on December 09, 2018, 06:49:59 pm
I'd like to know why you've decided this "... majority [of] Rison fans are insane." What has led this to this conclusion? If you are truly an 'old man,' I would expect you to be wise and know that all fan bases have a village idiot or two (or three).  Or four or five or six or seven. Etc

fffan

Quote from: 1wildcat on December 09, 2018, 11:04:48 am
you can't compare a 3 year run to what is it now 18 for Totty. But from 2002 to 2004 Totty went 40-2. He has also been the only coach we've had that had to compete in 3a. Don't get me wrongI liked both Parker and Whatley as well. Just saying when you have a coach that has accomplished what Totty has for as long as he has you keep him as long as you can. We've also had coaches that didn't compare Totty, Whatley, or Parker.

And what has he done since 2004?
How many state titles since 2004?
How long ago that he beat Malzhan?

I've never said that Totty was not a good coach.
I suggested making some adjustments to be able in compete in today's version of football.
I don't think Totty will ever win another state title at Rison unless they drop back to 2A where he can  compete with old school football.
Even while in 2A though it's still been 14 years since our last state title.  You have to admit that's a long drought for Rison.

1wildcat

Arkansas High School Football Coaches with the most wins.

1. Jones - Greenwood - 303
2. Malham - Cabot - 300
3. King - Batesville - 271
4. Paschal - Wynne - 211
5. Mitchell - North Little Rock - 204
6. Totty - Rison - 201

"I suggested making some adjustments to be able in compete in today's version of football."
9 pts from playing for the state title is not competing? Perhaps we should study film on Booneville's offense and copy it.

A winning recipe for High School football = Figure out what you do best, and do it a bunch! Rison is a running team.

We will be right back in the mix next year.

KOJACK

I don't think Rison was as good as people thought...They have one quality win imo over McGehee and that is only if McGehee was healthy. Just my opinion of course...

MR#1

December 10, 2018, 01:59:36 pm #28 Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 06:35:25 pm by MR#1
Quote from: KOJACK on December 10, 2018, 12:53:23 pm
I don't think Rison was as good as people thought...They have one quality win imo over McGehee and that is only if McGehee was healthy. Just my opinion of course...

I think many of the teams on the schedule were weaker than they've been in past years. So, I agree with the one quality win, so maybe they were not as strong. However, when they rolled through there first three opponents in the playoffs, I viewed them as stronger than I thought. Of course, those opponents could have been weak also.

fffan

Quote from: 1wildcat on December 10, 2018, 12:41:24 pm

2. Malham - Cabot - 300
4. Paschal - Wynne - 211
6. Totty - Rison - 201

"I suggested making some adjustments to be able in compete in today's version of football."
9 pts from playing for the state title is not competing? Perhaps we should study film on Booneville's offense and copy it.

A winning recipe for High School football = Figure out what you do best, and do it a bunch! Rison is a running team.

Totty's record starting with the 2005 season, 14 seasons:  130-43-1.
1 state runner-up in that timeframe, zero titles.
What happened in that state runner-up game.....we got behind and had no way to catch up.

That's a great record that any school would love to have, but like MR#1 said, a bunch of wins against weak teams.

We've become the UCF of our classification.
We used to win lots of games AND win titles....now, like UCF, we just win lots of games and never get to play for a title.

If you want to win lots of games and don't care if you win any titles because once you get late into the playoffs against good teams, you can't keep up, then Totty's current offensive and defensive strategies are for you.
If you want to win lots of games AND win some more titles......we need to modernize a little bit.

WonderWartHawg

Quote from: 1wildcat on December 10, 2018, 12:41:24 pm

2. Malham - Cabot - 300
4. Paschal - Wynne - 211
6. Totty - Rison - 201

Those figures are a little outdated. I know Totty had at least 3 or 4 more wins after he hit 200.
Since NLR made the finals (but lost), Mitchell may have increase his margin over Totty by one more.

WonderWartHawg

Quote from: fffan on December 09, 2018, 09:18:03 pm
And what has he done since 2004?
How many state titles since 2004?
How long ago that he beat Malzhan?

I've never said that Totty was not a good coach.
I suggested making some adjustments to be able in compete in today's version of football.
I don't think Totty will ever win another state title at Rison unless they drop back to 2A where he can  compete with old school football.
Even while in 2A though it's still been 14 years since our last state title.  You have to admit that's a long drought for Rison.

Rison is not in 3A by much. Little fish, big pond.
I figure we'll be back in 2A next cycle.
Latest enrollment figures that I saw would have us solidly in 2A.

1wildcat

Quote from: fffan on December 10, 2018, 06:40:18 pm
Totty's record starting with the 2005 season, 14 seasons:  130-43-1.
1 state runner-up in that timeframe, zero titles.
What happened in that state runner-up game.....we got behind and had no way to catch up.

That's a great record that any school would love to have, but like MR#1 said, a bunch of wins against weak teams.

We've become the UCF of our classification.
We used to win lots of games AND win titles....now, like UCF, we just win lots of games and never get to play for a title.

If you want to win lots of games and don't care if you win any titles because once you get late into the playoffs against good teams, you can't keep up, then Totty's current offensive and defensive strategies are for you.
If you want to win lots of games AND win some more titles......we need to modernize a little bit.
Booneville won it all. So like I said maybe we should scrap our Offense and install the same one they run.

There are only 10-15 quality teams in 3A every year, so everybody with winning records is playing several weak teams every year. I do wish we could put Junction City, and CHG back on the schedule.

Buck Beefheart

Quote from: 1wildcat on December 10, 2018, 08:02:02 pm
Booneville won it all. So like I said maybe we should scrap our Offense and install the same one they run.

There are only 10-15 quality teams in 3A every year, so everybody with winning records is playing several weak teams every year. I do wish we could put Junction City, and CHG back on the schedule.
Id love to have Boonevilles offense here. Dominant line play. Tight ends. I loved that their QB tosses the ball on the sweep and finds somebody to go block. Defensively, I wished we played zone like they did. They punished ball carriers . Its tough to hit someone thats behind you.

fffan

Quote from: 1wildcat on December 10, 2018, 08:02:02 pm

+1

fffan

Quote from: BurtBobJones on December 10, 2018, 09:30:34 pm
Id love to have Boonevilles offense here. Dominant line play. Tight ends. I loved that their QB tosses the ball on the sweep and finds somebody to go block. Defensively, I wished we played zone like they did. They punished ball carriers . Its tough to hit someone thats behind you.

+5   ;D

WonderWartHawg

Rison had plenty of offense this year, that wasn't the reason we lost in the semis.
Untimely turnover that let Osceola get another score before half and then they came back out after half and scored again. That put us behind the scoreboard and in catch up mode.
Defense was more the problem, in particular letting receivers get open and having four guys surrounding their QB for a should be sack, instead he slips through for a 40 yard TD.

Dayton Kitchens

I've forgotten.   What years was Red Parker at Rison?

Buck Beefheart

Quote from: WonderWartHawg on December 11, 2018, 07:00:15 am
Rison had plenty of offense this year, that wasn't the reason we lost in the semis.
Untimely turnover that let Osceola get another score before half and then they came back out after half and scored again. That put us behind the scoreboard and in catch up mode.
Defense was more the problem, in particular letting receivers get open and having four guys surrounding their QB for a should be sack, instead he slips through for a 40 yard TD.
I mostly agree. Wish we would have played zone. Gives you 11 sets of eyes on the qb and allows the safety to play center field.

Buck Beefheart

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on December 11, 2018, 09:02:01 am
I've forgotten.   What years was Red Parker at Rison?
1993 1994 1995

Dayton Kitchens

fffan

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on December 12, 2018, 04:11:31 pm
Who was coach during the 1984 season?

I think it was Trent Young...

MR#1

Quote from: fffan on December 12, 2018, 09:29:31 pm
I think it was Trent Young...

Trent Young was the coach in 1984. That team lost to Cross County in the finals. The 1985 team was probably a little better; they lost to a very good Horatio team in the semi-finals. (Horatio had lost to Rison the previous year.) Horatio played a perfect game and the conditions (very wet field the day after Thanksgiving) neutralized Rison's speed on offense and defense. Bobby Suggs was Horatio's running back and he was a 'hoss' that night. Horatio handled Harding Academy the following week for the state championship. In my opinion, the 1985 Rison team along with the 1974 and 1978 teams might be the best three Rison teams to not win the championship. All three were loaded with good players.

Jimbo Morphis

Hope all you Rison fans have a great Christmas.

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: MR#1 on December 21, 2018, 12:34:00 pm
Trent Young was the coach in 1984. That team lost to Cross County in the finals. The 1985 team was probably a little better; they lost to a very good Horatio team in the semi-finals. (Horatio had lost to Rison the previous year.) Horatio played a perfect game and the conditions (very wet field the day after Thanksgiving) neutralized Rison's speed on offense and defense. Bobby Suggs was Horatio's running back and he was a 'hoss' that night. Horatio handled Harding Academy the following week for the state championship. In my opinion, the 1985 Rison team along with the 1974 and 1978 teams might be the best three Rison teams to not win the championship. All three were loaded with good players.

I went to the Horatio/Rison playoff game in 1984 (held in DeQueen) to root for Rison.   I hated Horatio because I felt they had stolen the game from us in the regular season (actually the officials did) which ultimately kept us out of the playoffs.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas