• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would not be surprised......

Started by SGT.HULKA, December 03, 2018, 02:07:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SGT.HULKA

If we witnessed Coach Kevin Kelley's last game as HC at Pulaski Academy. He has very intriguing offers every year seemingly from big Texas schools, colleges and probably even some from NFL teams as a quality control analyst, etc. No source to confirm this but I think he may be ready to move to the next phase of his career. Having said all that, I hope he doesn't because he has done wonderful things for Arkansas high school football and there will not be another like him.

Fan1958

Quote from: SGT.HULKA on December 03, 2018, 02:07:03 am
If we witnessed Coach Kevin Kelley's last game as HC at Pulaski Academy. He has very intriguing offers every year seemingly from big Texas schools, colleges and probably even some from NFL teams as a quality control analyst, etc. No source to confirm this but I think he may be ready to move to the next phase of his career. Having said all that, I hope he doesn't because he has done wonderful things for Arkansas high school football and there will not be another like him.

I'd like to seem him at the college or NFL level 1) never punt and 2) kick on sides every time. He wouldn't last a season.  If it would work at that level I suspect the Nick Sabans and Bill Belichicks of the football world would have been doing it long ago.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: Fan1958 on December 03, 2018, 04:53:45 pm
I'd like to seem him at the college or NFL level 1) never punt and 2) kick on sides every time. He wouldn't last a season.  If it would work at that level I suspect the Nick Sabans and Bill Belichicks of the football world would have been doing it long ago.
This is such a mischaracterization of his strategy. He has never said he wouldn't punt or would kick onside every time at a higher level. The math works in high school, but not the same in upper levels.

Fan1958

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on December 03, 2018, 05:01:13 pm
This is such a mischaracterization of his strategy. He has never said he wouldn't punt or would kick onside every time at a higher level. The math works in high school, but not the same in upper levels.

But has much to do with his success. You noticed that strategy did not work very well (at all) against LRCA and you saw the results.

The point is without the trickery and gimmicks would he be as successful? Probably not.

STUNNA

Quote from: Fan1958 on December 03, 2018, 05:04:54 pm
But has much to do with his success. You noticed that strategy did not work very well (at all) against LRCA and you saw the results.

The point is without the trickery and gimmicks would he be as successful? Probably not.
its not really trickery when you know it's coming. And he was successful at PA before he started the on side kicks, and never punting.

PA Dad

Quote from: Fan1958 on December 03, 2018, 05:04:54 pm

Duh?  You think he might employ those tricks and gimmicks because they work?  Imagine that.  The nerve of that guy.

Fan1958

Quote from: PA Dad on December 03, 2018, 07:41:15 pm
Duh?  You think he might employ those tricks and gimmicks because they work?  Imagine that.  The nerve of that guy.

See my post above.  How did that work out on Sunday? Sure, when it works it's great and you look like a genius.  When it doesn't, you come off kinda like Kirby Smart.

Point is sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and I would guess it won't work at a higher level or EVERYBODY would be doing it.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: Fan1958 on December 06, 2018, 08:53:04 am
See my post above.  How did that work out on Sunday? Sure, when it works it's great and you look like a genius.  When it doesn't, you come off kinda like Kirby Smart.

Point is sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and I would guess it won't work at a higher level or EVERYBODY would be doing it.
It had worked 60 straight times until sunday, so I think maybe there is something to it.

Under your reasoning, if Warren Buffet was so smart everyone would do what he's done and we would all be billionaires.

The_Pioneer

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on December 06, 2018, 09:28:06 am
It had worked 60 straight times until sunday, so I think maybe there is something to it.

Under your reasoning, if Warren Buffet was so smart everyone would do what he's done and we would all be billionaires.

Not a great illustration.  Making money in the markets is more about timing.  Get in too late, billions becomes merely thousands.

thebigshot

Coach Kelly would not make it at a public school. He had chances to move up to 7A and he keeps turning them down because he knows he can't recruit like he can at PA. Kelly is built for PA only not a public school system.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: thebigshot on December 07, 2018, 08:47:30 am
Coach Kelly would not make it at a public school. He had chances to move up to 7A and he keeps turning them down because he knows he can't recruit like he can at PA. Kelly is built for PA only not a public school system.
I'm not sure who Coach Kelly is so you may be right. Kevin Kelley would absolutely win big at a 7A public school.

NEASPORTSFAN

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on December 07, 2018, 09:45:47 am
I'm not sure who Coach Kelly is so you may be right. Kevin Kelley would absolutely win big at a 7A public school.
depends on which one.

thebigshot

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on December 07, 2018, 09:45:47 am

He might win but why hasn't he left yet to a bigger program? He knows the private school is best for him because, he can go out and get his players to play for him. He can't do that in a public school. Kelly would win maybe one or two championships but it won't be a every year thing like it is at PA.

Simba

Leaving PA for any other HS in Arkansas would not be a move up for him.

Yellowcake

Some of the uninformed and pathetically sad ignorance demonstrated by posters on this board, particularly in relation to PA, adversely impacts the credibility of the board as a whole. In my humble opinion.

In this particular instance, it is thebigshot. My guess is that name is code for "idiot". Or maybe "instigator". But it may go deeper and mean something like "never read a book or had a job".

But don't feel singled out. You aren't alone. You are far, far from that.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Yellowcake on December 07, 2018, 01:34:27 pm
Some of the uninformed and pathetically sad ignorance demonstrated by posters on this board, particularly in relation to PA, adversely impacts the credibility of the board as a whole. In my humble opinion.

In this particular instance, it is thebigshot. My guess is that name is code for "idiot". Or maybe "instigator". But it may go deeper and mean something like "never read a book or had a job".

But don't feel singled out. You aren't alone. You are far, far from that.

You broke the code!!!

Red Devil Alum

Some non-PA people on this board often say "Why is every thread about PA?" But here we are less than a week after LRCA won the state championship, and the most active threads on this board are non-PA posters posting about PA.

AirWarren

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on December 07, 2018, 01:40:04 pm
Some non-PA people on this board often say "Why is every thread about PA?" But here we are less than a week after LRCA won the state championship, and the most active threads on this board are non-PA posters posting about PA.

It is said to be the same thing about warren. "Every thread turns into a Warren thread". It's the way of the world when you're successful.

I hope they don't watch college football, NFL, NBA, or college basketball. Alabama, New England, golden state(garbage when I was a kid), and Kentucky/duke must ruin their lives.

Yellowcake

Quote from: AirWarren on December 07, 2018, 01:52:50 pm
It is said to be the same thing about warren. "Every thread turns into a Warren thread". It's the way of the world when you're successful.

I hope they don't watch college football, NFL, NBA, or college basketball. Alabama, New England, golden state(garbage when I was a kid), and Kentucky/duke must ruin their lives.

Sums it up perfectly

PA Dad

Quote from: Fan1958 on December 06, 2018, 08:53:04 am

Well, it works much more often than not.  He did not lose a game to an Arkansas team for five years and lost only three games to out of state teams.  Name another Arkansas coach with that record over the last five years.

"Sometimes" it works" is a vast understatement.  It works 95+% of the time.  That's a lot more than "sometimes."

HorseFeathers

Quote from: PA Dad on December 27, 2018, 08:52:00 pm
Well, it works much more often than not.  He did not lose a game to an Arkansas team for five years and lost only three games to out of state teams.  Name another Arkansas coach with that record over the last five years.

"Sometimes" it works" is a vast understatement.  It works 95+% of the time.  That's a lot more than "sometimes."

Wish my team could win 4 state titles in a row with a gimmick that only works sometimes...

boogercat

Kevin Kelley will retire from PA. IF he has all the so called offers why hasn't he left yet IF they pay more money? It's because he knows his system only works at PA and not nowhere else. I get it the guy is very comfortable at PA, has a great thing going on. Why leave knowing his system won't work elsewhere?

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: boogercat on January 02, 2019, 12:02:22 pm
Kevin Kelley will retire from PA. IF he has all the so called offers why hasn't he left yet IF they pay more money? It's because he knows his system only works at PA and not nowhere else. I get it the guy is very comfortable at PA, has a great thing going on. Why leave knowing his system won't work elsewhere?
I don't know that he does have a lot of offers for head coaching positions. There's no reason to take another high school job, and I don't think a college AD is willing to take the risk of hiring him.

boogercat

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on January 02, 2019, 02:43:42 pm
I don't know that he does have a lot of offers for head coaching positions. There's no reason to take another high school job, and I don't think a college AD is willing to take the risk of hiring him.

Nobody knows other than Kelly himself. I'm sure he has had opportunities to approach him but he turns them down. I'm sure Conway, Cabot, and several other schools came to him and he wasn't interested. Nobody really knows, I just don't see him leaving PA for another school or college.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

If the right opportunity came at college or NFL, I think he will leave, but he won't leave for any other high school.

He has had numerous offers to leave for other high schools through the years, but the only two I believe he even flirted with was Alma in '07 and Lakeside in '09 or '10.  Until 2 years ago, he wasn't going to leave until his son graduated from PA, even for a college level job.  His backyard is adjacent to the high school parking lot, he has say in just about everything that goes on at the school, the field house is named after his mother, and he has the freedom to present at clinics and countless speaking engagements during the spring among many other benefits.  It's not that he doesn't think his system would work elsewhere, he is confident it would, and I am confident that he would be successful anywhere, but he has a great gig and probably doesn't really care what the rest of us think he should do with his life.

If you were CEO of a small company and someone wanted you to come run their larger company for what's likely the same-ish pay with more risk and less job security and likely more people trying to tell you how to do your job, 1. would you do it and 2. would you do it just to prove to yourself and others that you could?

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on January 02, 2019, 04:26:46 pm
If the right opportunity came at college or NFL, I think he will leave, but he won't leave for any other high school.

He has had numerous offers to leave for other high schools through the years, but the only two I believe he even flirted with was Alma in '07 and Lakeside in '09 or '10.  Until 2 years ago, he wasn't going to leave until his son graduated from PA, even for a college level job.  His backyard is adjacent to the high school parking lot, he has say in just about everything that goes on at the school, the field house is named after his mother, and he has the freedom to present at clinics and countless speaking engagements during the spring among many other benefits.  It's not that he doesn't think his system would work elsewhere, he is confident it would, and I am confident that he would be successful anywhere, but he has a great gig and probably doesn't really care what the rest of us think he should do with his life.

If you were CEO of a small company and someone wanted you to come run their larger company for what's likely the same-ish pay with more risk and less job security and likely more people trying to tell you how to do your job, 1. would you do it and 2. would you do it just to prove to yourself and others that you could?
Good points. While you know him better than I do, I believe him when he says he would take on any college head coaching job.

boogercat

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on January 02, 2019, 04:26:46 pm

You do have a good point. Everyone is different, I know sometimes people get bored with themselves and want that change and want another challenge to see if they got what it takes to rebuild something great. Some coaches are good at it some fail at it. Money isn't everything for some people but sometimes it will take that for some to leave. Personally, I got so bored with my last job that I was at for 8 years where I was getting unhappy because I wasn't being given a certain type of challenge I was needing. I ended up finding something new and quite better with that challenge I was loooking for. Pay is little better not by much. At the end of the day, we either are going to take those gambles or wonder back of our heads the what if's.

PA Dad

Quote from: boogercat on January 02, 2019, 04:45:30 pm

You do have a good point. Everyone is different, I know sometimes people get bored with themselves and want that change and want another challenge to see if they got what it takes to rebuild something great. Some coaches are good at it some fail at it. Money isn't everything for some people but sometimes it will take that for some to leave. Personally, I got so bored with my last job that I was at for 8 years where I was getting unhappy because I wasn't being given a certain type of challenge I was needing. I ended up finding something new and quite better with that challenge I was loooking for. Pay is little better not by much. At the end of the day, we either are going to take those gambles or wonder back of our heads the what if's.

Do you think Saban would leave Alabama to take the HC job at a losing NFL team just to challenge himself?  Maybe he would, but I doubt it.

Kelley is  in a great job.  He is very successful.  I seriously doubt that he cares whether you think he should take on another or different challenge.  If he's happy where he is why change to satisfy the naysayers?

boogercat

Quote from: PA Dad on January 02, 2019, 08:42:49 pm
Do you think Saban would leave Alabama to take the HC job at a losing NFL team just to challenge himself?  Maybe he would, but I doubt it.

Kelley is  in a great job.  He is very successful.  I seriously doubt that he cares whether you think he should take on another or different challenge.  If he's happy where he is why change to satisfy the naysayers?

Like I said everyone is different, he did leave LSU to go to the Dolphins for two years and bolted to Bama. This is the same coach that was on the Browns coaching staff. Some people are meant to stay in a certain area for them to be successful. That's why he went back to college. Right or wrong? I don't care what he thinks or believe. As I stated some people are different and tend to want to challenge themselves. Do you have an issue of understanding?

PA Dad

Quote from: boogercat on January 02, 2019, 09:10:31 pm

Like I said everyone is different, he did leave LSU to go to the Dolphins for two years and bolted to Bama. This is the same coach that was on the Browns coaching staff. Some people are meant to stay in a certain area for them to be successful. That's why he went back to college. Right or wrong? I don't care what he thinks or believe. As I stated some people are different and tend to want to challenge themselves. Do you have an issue of understanding?

Yes, I have a severe learning disability.  I understand very little.

boogercat

Quote from: PA Dad on January 02, 2019, 09:45:25 pm
Yes, I have a severe learning disability.  I understand very little.

It's okay I understand I was in special ed as well.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas