• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

State Championship Junction City Vs Hazen

Started by Monsta, December 01, 2018, 08:33:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will be crowned the best in 2A

Hazen Hornets
81 (57%)
Junction City Dragons
61 (43%)

Total Members Voted: 142

Voting closed: December 06, 2018, 09:26:22 pm

THA TRUTH

That's 2A coaching.... hate that for y'all

bleudog

Quote from: Old Scrapper on December 12, 2018, 12:50:44 pm
Hazen had to play two way starters on special teams or the game would have gotten way out of hand before it did.

I see your point.  That's why I used the phrase "as reasonably possible."  But if a team has some young bucks who are going to have to be depended on in the next year or two as non-special team starters, giving them a "starting" special team slot and having them playing there for ten games over the course of a season can build both moral and ability for when the suitcase games get played.

cav2012

Quote from: THA TRUTH on December 12, 2018, 12:57:51 pm

If u can't find kids to take the key players spots to give rest then join 8 man
hah, sterling, that would be like jc dropping from 3a  ;D

THA TRUTH

Then quit complaining about depth... Hazen just wasn't good enough it's ok many other teams weren't as well

bleudog

Here's a 31-man 10th-12th roster that took care of JC 33-0 and that game was called before the third quarter was over because of lightning.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/haynesville-golden-tornado-(haynesville,la)/football/roster.htm

Dragon I

Doesn't count.  Those are all LA kids.  Have to use the multiplier.

dragondad

Quote from: bleudog on December 12, 2018, 03:52:13 pm
Here's a 31-man 10th-12th roster that took care of JC 33-0 and that game was called before the third quarter was over because of lightning.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/haynesville-golden-tornado-(haynesville,la)/football/roster.htm

Bucks only had 32 players, according to MaxPreps

Wilson

Quote from: i40traveler on December 12, 2018, 01:25:17 pm
Thats 2A football.  We've established JC doesn't know anything about that. 

a 1A team from Louisiana had roughly 30 players on their roster. . .hammered JC. . .and somehow found a way to have just a few 2 way players. . .they also have like 17 state titles. . .I would lean towards coaching being the reason they can have so few 2 way players and not just luck. . .Cause it doesn't matter if Haynesville has 25 or 35+ players. . .They still have few 2 way players. . .Coaching can turn a tweener into a starter that takes the burden of playing over 75% of snaps off of a difference maker when he needs that extra step late in the game. . .Both JC and Haynesville have a tremendous strength and conditioning program also. . .they also win a bunch of titles. . .all that boils down to coaches knowing how to turn out football players. . .not just bodies in a uniform

i40traveler

You're right. I guess Arkansas just has awful 2A coaches with the exception of Junction City 

Old Scrapper

Hasbeen92

Quote from: bleudog on December 12, 2018, 11:00:39 am
Depth quotes are always more politically correct than conditioning and execution quotes.

I agree with you on the quality tops quality.  Got to put in the work.  Both to get the kids out of the halls and turn those into the best ball players they can be.
How much y'all paying Jones Hazen coach makes around 50 and he's been there over 10 years you get what you pay for Junction has had very talented players and has for last 20 years and when Carpenter was there the had an excellent coach for 2A from a very good coaching family Hazen had the talent I agree with comments about conditioning and execution you saw talent don't give me crap about y'all being more talented I know football better than most you know including you not trying to be disrespectful I love your passion for your team but facts r facts

Hasbeen92

Quote from: i40traveler on December 12, 2018, 06:55:12 pm
You're right. I guess Arkansas just has awful 2A coaches with the exception of Junction City
Most of them get awful pay

Hasbeen92

Quote from: Old Scrapper on December 12, 2018, 12:50:44 pm
Hazen had to play two way starters on special teams or the game would have gotten way out of hand before it did.
I don't think the game was ever out of hand Hazen had the ball down 29-22 on junction's side of the field they in 4th quarter just couldn't execute maybe fatigue maybe nerves maybe lack of discipline but it was at their finger tips and for some reason they let go of the rope

Wilson

Quote from: i40traveler on December 12, 2018, 06:55:12 pm
You’re right. I guess Arkansas just has awful 2A coaches with the exception of Junction City 

Call it that if you want. . .but a lot of the good coaches in 2A get poached by bigger schools that can pay them more. . .What JC has is a program that has been run the same way since about 1996. . it took coach Carpenter several years to get them to buy in to the program. . .then once they made the playoffs in 98. . .it took him to 2003 to win the schools first title. . .it wasn't an overnight thing. . .along the way he was approached quite a few times by bigger schools. . .but he stayed at JC. . .the program is what it is now because he stayed. . .almost all of the coaches there now either played for Carpenter or Coached alongside of him. . .they know how its run. . .so its still run they same way. ..but just with a few differences. . .its the program. . .which is the coaching. . .Haynesville is the same way. .Red Franklin coached there for over 25 years. . .when he stepped down his son took over the program . . .its still coached the same way. . .and Haynesville is still thriving. . .Totty at Rison has a program. . .he been there over 15 years I believe. . .when he was in 2A Rison was in the hunt every year just like they were in 3A this year. . .McClellan at Barton. . .he was always in the hunt. . .once again. .coaching. . .most all programs that are in the hunt year after year have long tenured head coaches. . .or a coach who was in the program/system for a period of time before becoming the HC. . .if you don't think good coaches can make average players good and good players great then you wont get this. . .good programs become good. . .and more importantly stay good for long periods of time because of good coaching

Hasbeen92

Quote from: THA TRUTH on December 12, 2018, 03:34:48 pm
Then quit complaining about depth... Hazen just wasn't good enough it's ok many other teams weren't as well
I have a feeling that you only played on special teams

Hasbeen92

Quote from: Wilson on December 12, 2018, 09:10:25 pm
Call it that if you want. . .but a lot of the good coaches in 2A get poached by bigger schools that can pay them more. . .What JC has is a program that has been run the same way since about 1996. . it took coach Carpenter several years to get them to buy in to the program. . .then once they made the playoffs in 98. . .it took him to 2003 to win the schools first title. . .it wasn't an overnight thing. . .along the way he was approached quite a few times by bigger schools. . .but he stayed at JC. . .the program is what it is now because he stayed. . .almost all of the coaches there now either played for Carpenter or Coached alongside of him. . .they know how its run. . .so its still run they same way. ..but just with a few differences. . .its the program. . .which is the coaching. . .Haynesville is the same way. .Red Franklin coached there for over 25 years. . .when he stepped down his son took over the program . . .its still coached the same way. . .and Haynesville is still thriving. . .Totty at Rison has a program. . .he been there over 15 years I believe. . .when he was in 2A Rison was in the hunt every year just like they were in 3A this year. . .McClellan at Barton. . .he was always in the hunt. . .once again. .coaching. . .most all programs that are in the hunt year after year have long tenured head coaches. . .or a coach who was in the program/system for a period of time before becoming the HC. . .if you don't think good coaches can make average players good and good players great then you wont get this. . .good programs become good. . .and more importantly stay good for long periods of time because of good coaching
I agree with what you say except McClellan was the hunt not in it and when he was coaching there were no practice time limits they practiced to perfection regardless of time

Wilson

and I feel like he was "in his prime" the best coach in any class in Arkansas. . .Maybe Cox at Central was as good. . .but the list was dang short. . . .he was still dang good in 03 when Carpenter beat him for the title. . .but that 03 JC team was the culmination of that whole process Carpenter had been putting the program through. . .add that to an extremely talented and athletic team. . .JC wasn't going to be beat that day. . .

bleudog

December 12, 2018, 10:17:48 pm #917 Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 10:56:17 pm by bleudog
Quote from: i40traveler on December 12, 2018, 10:21:42 am
Whats funny is JC'S coach and running back both said the game plan was to wear Hazen down due to lack of depth. JC fans are taking it as a shot at them, saying they should be 3A, when in reality they are just stating facts. JC had excellent depth and used it to their advantage.

By the way depth isn't just having numbers. I have seen schools witg 50 men and only 6 of them can play ball. JC had 36 on the roster and the majority of them can go. Hats off to them for developing that depth!

Quote from: bleudog on December 12, 2018, 11:00:39 am
Depth quotes are always more politically correct than conditioning and execution quotes.

I agree with you on the quality tops quantity  Got to put in the work.  Both to get the kids out of the halls and turn those into the best ball players they can be.

Quote from: Hasbeen92 on December 12, 2018, 08:14:17 pm
How much y'all paying Jones Hazen coach makes around 50 and he's been there over 10 years you get what you pay for Junction has had very talented players and has for last 20 years and when Carpenter was there the had an excellent coach for 2A from a very good coaching family Hazen had the talent I agree with comments about conditioning and execution you saw talent don't give me crap about y'all being more talented I know football better than most you know including you not trying to be disrespectful I love your passion for your team but facts r facts

As public school teachers are paid with tax money, their compensation is public information.  At JC, base pay is calculated by total teaching experience and level of education.  Jones was at DeWitt and Searcy (I think) before JC.  I also understand he recently earned a Masters degree.  In addition to base pay, stipends are paid.  Jones receives stipends for head coach and assistant AD.  While his compensation is public record, I'll let you do the web looking as I was brought up that what a person makes is not generally a topic for public discussion.

I did see that spell check got me on my earlier post.  I was agreeing with I40's point on superior talent not automatically correlating with roster size, hence quality over "quantity." I just happen to think the folks who are posting that JC won because they had 6 or 8 more 10th to 12th graders are out in left field.

Both teams certainly had talent.  Teams don't play in week 15 without talent.  Obviously Hazen had not lost a game this season. I'm guessing they hadn't trailed much either much less late in a game. It looks like their week one game against CC was their only challenge before WMS.  JC had some big lineman who had been called on to play full games against teams with equal or better talent at least four times this year.  Their size, conditioning, execution, having previously faced playing from behind and Hazen not having to previously deal with being behind late in a game were what made the late game difference, in my opinion.

amehr36

Hasbeen92

Quote from: bleudog on December 12, 2018, 10:17:48 pm
As public school teachers are paid with tax money, their compensation is public information.  At JC, base pay is calculated by total teaching experience and level of education.  Jones was at DeWitt and Searcy (I think) before JC.  I also understand he recently earned a Masters degree.  In addition to base pay, stipends are paid.  Jones receives stipends for head coach and assistant AD.  While his compensation is public record, I'll let you do the web looking as I was brought up that what a person makes is not generally a topic for public discussion.

I did see that spell check got me on my earlier post.  I was agreeing with I40's point on superior talent not automatically correlating with roster size, hence quality over "quantity." I just happen to think the folks who are posting that JC won because they had 6 or 8 more 10th to 12th graders are out in left field.

Both teams certainly had talent.  Teams don't play in week 15 without talent.  Obviously Hazen had not lost a game this season. I'm guessing they hadn't trailed much either much less late in a game. It looks like their week one game against CC was their only challenge before WMS.  JC had some big lineman who had been called on to play full games against teams with equal or better talent at least four times this year.  Their size, conditioning, execution, having previously faced playing from behind and Hazen not having to previously deal with being behind late in a game are what made the late game difference, in my opinion.
I agree with most of what you said except public salaries can be discussed because they are public and coaches salaries r not cut and dry like teachers my step-dad was a coach for about 35 years and my mother was a teacher for 40 years I'm old and don't surf that well I'm betting Jones makes around 60 Hazen hadn't trailed all year except maybe 10 minutes or so in first quarter and Toll was sick when they played cross county

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas