• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

6A State Championship GREENWOOD VS BENTON

Started by Brian G, November 24, 2018, 11:24:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think?

I think GW wins and I want GW to win
32 (41%)
I think GW wins but I want Benton
32 (41%)
I think Benton wins and I want Benton
12 (15.4%)
I think Benton but I want GW to win
2 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Voting closed: November 30, 2018, 11:26:01 am

Pr8hd

Quote from: PA Dad on November 29, 2018, 04:40:23 pm
Yep.  Just like the constant refrain that if you're winning you must be cheating.

Success is a Petri dish for envy and contempt. There was a time GW was on the oustide of that dish, and while you hope that might not be the case again, one can never assume.

The Future

November 29, 2018, 07:27:48 pm #51 Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 07:31:04 pm by The Future
Quote from: PA Dad on November 29, 2018, 04:40:23 pm
Yep.  Just like the constant refrain that if you're winning you must be cheating.

This is true too.

Greenwood I don't think has gotten the cheating excuse in the Jones era. With PA being a private school, I know y'all catch the recruiting stuff all the time.

The other one we get all the time is "well why don't you play so and so?"
Well I can't speak for every other Greenwood fan, but I really don't care about so and so. We have three goals. Win first game, win conference, then win state. If beating the top 7A team or beating some Texas or Missouri school was important to us, we'd make it a goal. Come December, all anyone will remember and care about is who's playing at the Rock. Teams like PA, Bennie, and Fay have shown playing OOS powers can make you good enough to win state. And I'm not saying it's wrong or a bad idea by any means. It's good recognition for both the program and state.  But Greenwood has shown that you can play Arkansas and Oklahoma teams and win state just fine.

hogsanddogs

Benton playing two qb's will be interesting. Wasn't a good plan for Greenwood! 2016 no rhythm. Both had been banged up the week before against Pine Bluff which didn't help. Should have gone with just one. 2015 they really didn't play both and it probably would of helped to do so. Spliting time can keep the offense from getting into a rhythm. But bringing a QB in when the offense needs to get going can change the momentum. I think it will be a much closer game than last time. Just depends on who shows up.

JoeWho

I know GW is really good, but I hope Brad Harris' team gets the win!  It time for an upset! 

hogsanddogs

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 29, 2018, 06:50:15 pm
Success is a Petri dish for envy and contempt. There was a time GW was on the oustide of that dish, and while you hope that might not be the case again, one can never assume.
Absolutely, I think it was Homecoming 1981, Greenwood lost! Went to a party where it was like we were at a funeral. Greenwood wasn't good at football until the late 90's when Peacock came in. I remember Greenwood football when we were nothing to get excited about! We were a basketball school at one point!

PA Dad

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 29, 2018, 06:50:15 pm

+1.  It's better to be successful and the subject of envy than to be unsuccessful and the subject of pity.  And I don't mean that to belittle unsuccessful teams.  I'm just stating the obvious.

Kevin

Quote from: BullDogFan72 on November 28, 2018, 11:13:47 am
Your assumption is that Benton will just walk in and take the title??  I think you need to remember who Benton is playing on Saturday.  I promise you that Greenwood will put up the fight of their lives to keep the 6A Title.  No doubt Benton is talented, but Greenwood has some outstanding talent as well.  People assume that they won't be able to beat Benton twice.  People don't give Greenwood's senior class enough credit.  At Greenwood they don't rebuild, they just reload.  I know for certain that Greenwood is not taking Benton lightly at all, they will be just as prepared as Benton will be.  It will be a fight to the end.  I am looking forward to the game.
Not at all saying they have it easy. Same as in the series I mentioned about the cavs, it wasn't an easy fought series. It went all the way down to the last minute, as I think this game will go. Just hoping Benton pulls this one out!

Redwolves8526

So Benton's 1 string QB played against Greenwood the first time or no? They will still use both even though the starter is healthy?

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: AirWarren on November 29, 2018, 01:45:28 pm
It's right after the daddy run out.

In all seriousness. We wish we were playing. We have played in 4 times in WMS in the past 5 years. 7 times in the past 18. We have had a good run and we will be back.

How's basketball season shaping up for you this year?   smh

Pr8hd

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on November 30, 2018, 10:05:06 am
So Benton's 1 string QB played against Greenwood the first time or no? They will still use both even though the starter is healthy?

Their Soph QB played the first game, their starter was out. Soph. QB was terrific though really. So, I thought they still got good play from their QB position, he did nothing that cost them the game for sure and did a lot that kept them scoring and moving. So, that's a bit of the wildcard on what to expect from their #1 guy. Also, Wallace was gimpy a lot of the game after the first few series, but again their backup TB was good as well IMO. He hit the holes hard and fast I thought.

GW defense stepped up big in that one and will have to do so again. Benton D was not real effective in slowing down GW. That side of Benton was their main weakness the first go around. Their offense was certainly good - big line, big receivers, QB had good size/good arm, etc. I never felt comfortable until closer to the end despite the margin.

Hoping GW can get it done again, especially if the rumblings mentioned above came to pass about CRJ. You never know when that time/chance may happen again.

What he's and staff have done is incredible. He came in 2004 and every class of football players he's had starting with them thru the class of 2021 (now with this trip) have made at least one appearance in the Rock in their football careers to play for a title. 17 years of players that either were champions or runner ups.  11 trips in 15 years with 7 titles and a chance for 8 across 3 classifications. SMH

GOAT is only thing you can say about CRJ.

Wanna.be.Baller

Who is going to win the LOS? Best part of football is guys in the trenches!

oasistrader

Pr8hd

Best of luck to both teams out there today, in the end there is only going to be one winner. Just remember win or lose, and your season, football career (for most seniors) ends at the Rock playing for a title, you did something right to get to that point that many other teams did not and would gladly trade places for you for that opportunity. If you are an underclassman and you get a taste of being there, remember that feeling going to next year or the year after and what it takes to get back there. I know both communities are proud of their teams, coaches, and players no matter the outcome.

Pr8hd

Oldbadger

Quote from: Pr8hd on December 01, 2018, 06:55:45 am
Here's a little spin from this side of the state....

http://www.swtimes.com/sports/20181201/football-greenwood-benton-face-off-for-title

Very good article! Good luck to both teams today! Safe travels for Greenwood fans and players.

incogneto

AllBarkNoBite

Flashmob

PokeyRedskinStudentScout

AETN us doing a really good presentation of the game... Appears they're basically copying NFHS but making it free

amehr36

18 play greenwood drive ends in a 45 yard fng. 7-3 Benton.  2:12 in the 1st

amehr36

Quote from: amehr36 on December 01, 2018, 12:31:05 pm
18 play greenwood drive ends in a 45 yard fng. 7-3 Benton.  2:12 in the 1st

*FG

PA Dad

GW has to clean up the penalties.  The are not playing with their usual discipline.

amehr36

Quote from: PA Dad on December 01, 2018, 12:31:54 pm
GW has to clean up the penalties.  The are not playing with their usual discipline.

Yeah already have 5 maybe 6.

amehr36

amehr36

71 yard TD pass. 10-7 Greenwood 11:06 2nd.

amehr36

9 yard td run by Holt. 17-7 Gwood 6:12 2nd Quarter

amehr36

Kevin

Benton not looking too great. seems deflated. these coaches are gonna have to fire these boys up!

amehr36

amehr36

jay nelvin

amehr36

amehr36

amehr36

jeffslilbro

Benton has good athletes. Poorly coached and the play calling is terrible.

amehr36

Yeah. I just noticed they are funneling in  players on both sides mainly on the line. I think Benton is a little winded  to boot.

amehr36

The Future

My original prediction was 45-21

I wanna recall my second prediction and go back to my original prediction please. lol

amehr36

I had said 24 point win. I'm off as well.   Gwood in Victory formation. 45-14 will be final.

Wildcat Football

Quote from: jay nelvin on December 01, 2018, 02:07:37 pm
Is Benton playing both QBs?
Watched this game with some interest on AETN, my observations Benton SR QB finally got in when Benton was down 24-7 late in 2nd qtr and again down 38-14 in second half; got less than 10% snaps entire game and was unable to get in a groove due to switch outs.  Soph QB got 90% of snaps during game, missed two wide-open long passes, threw 2 picks to nullify any attempt at a comeback to start 2nd half.  Sad to see that young man's career end on the sideline watching a sophomore QB make so many mistakes in title match. The Benton coaches even stuck with the sophomore QB after first pick that led to an immediate GW TD; hard to understand coaches decision in that situation, but in the end Benton defense was no match containing Holt.  Benton SR QB only lost 2 starts entire career according to radio commentators, both v. 7A Bryant one which was called short due to malee at Salt Bowl this year.  I was very glad to see Bryant beat NLR for first 7A title.  Congratulations to Greenwood, Benton had the athletes to get it done this year, but poor coaching did them in on the big stage. Only 14 points scored for Benton...that says it all!

jay nelvin

Quote from: Wildcat Football on December 02, 2018, 11:24:42 am
Watched this game with some interest on AETN, my observations Benton SR QB finally got in when Benton was down 24-7 late in 2nd qtr and again down 38-14 in second half; got less than 10% snaps entire game and was unable to get in a groove due to switch outs.  Soph QB got 90% of snaps during game, missed two wide-open long passes, threw 2 picks to nullify any attempt at a comeback to start 2nd half.  Sad to see that young man's career end on the sideline watching a sophomore QB make so many mistakes in title match. The Benton coaches even stuck with the sophomore QB after first pick that led to an immediate GW TD; hard to understand coaches decision in that situation, but in the end Benton defense was no match containing Holt.  Benton SR QB only lost 2 starts entire career according to radio commentators, both v. 7A Bryant one which was called short due to malee at Salt Bowl this year.  I was very glad to see Bryant beat NLR for first 7A title.  Congratulations to Greenwood, Benton had the athletes to get it done this year, but poor coaching did them in on the big stage. Only 14 points scored for Benton...that says it all!
Although it wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game, I totally agree with you.

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: Wildcat Football on December 02, 2018, 11:24:42 am

So Greenwood didn't have the "athletes"?

Kevin

REALLY wish  I woulda got to see that senior benton QB show his stuff. A proven starter, not sure why the coaches made that decision. Now the kid gets to remember his senior year being put on the sideline for a sophomore QB. Tough stuff

Kevin

Not a benton alumni/fan btw. Just a guy who likes good football

IAFLAR7

Quote from: DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam on December 03, 2018, 09:42:56 am
So Greenwood didn't have the "athletes"?
That's not what he said.
He said Benton had the athletes to get it done this year.
Greenwood has excellent athletes & Holt is a difference maker.

Kevin

Quote from: IAFLAR7 on December 03, 2018, 09:59:06 am
That's not what he said.
He said Benton had the athletes to get it done this year.
Greenwood has excellent athletes & Holt is a difference maker.
I watched the game. Benton had MORE athletic players, but the coaching cost it. Benton has two runnning backs that I could see going D1 or a good D2. Their defense looked poor second half, but first half showed their athleticism. Benton seemed flat out deflated second half.

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

My question, along with most Greenwood fans, is WHY DIDN'T BENTON RUN THE BALL ALL NIGHT?   What were the Benton coaches thinking?   First Benton Drive........straight down the field using the two running backs. Touchdown.   Then nothing the rest of the half.  Second half, First Benton Drive .......straight down the field using the two running backs.  Touchdown.   Greenwood couldn't stop the run.  Seriously, If i was a Benton fan, I'd want an explanation.  But as a Greenwood fan.............Thank you Benton Coaches!  (BTW, Greenwood would still have won, but it would have been a lot more interesting.)

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: Kevin on December 03, 2018, 10:01:28 am
I watched the game. Benton had MORE athletic players, but the coaching cost it. Benton has two runnning backs that I could see going D1 or a good D2. Their defense looked poor second half, but first half showed their athleticism. Benton seemed flat out deflated second half.

Just because Benton had more size, doesn't mean they were more athletic.  Greenwood out "manned" Benton twice this year, in dominating fashion.  As to your assertion to Benton's running backs.  In my opinion, Zac Wallace is not a D-1 talent.  He's got speed, but every time he gets contact, he goes down.  The other running back is stout, and tough.  Much better RB.  Benton has the size.  Benton passes the eye test.  But again, Greenwood showed that they had the talent, skill, athleticism, and heart.   Benton needs to make some coaching changes.  Period.  They have the facilities, fans, boosters, and talent to not be more dominant than they are. 

RD™

A lot of it is this. When a team gets behind Greenwood. They abandon their game plan and start getting away from fundamentals. It's like it's a mental block with some coaching staffs as to "oh man I am down double digits to Greenwood, what do I do?"

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas