• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Public address announcers: the good the bad and the ugly

Started by oldtiger88, October 07, 2018, 11:27:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

oldtiger88

Who is the best and worst and who just doesnt have a clue? School names only please.

MICHAELSPAPPY

(A lot depends on the PA system the school gives him to work with.)

athletic supporter

Bearcatdad

friscokid

Quote from: athletic supporter on October 07, 2018, 01:09:44 pm
I think Atkins guy does a great job
Atkins guy has been doing it for 25 or so years and he's still a young pup. He does the radio for away games too.

athletic supporter

Quote from: friscokid on October 07, 2018, 05:42:54 pm
Atkins guy has been doing it for 25 or so years and he's still a young pup. He does the radio for away games too.

Yes he does. I wouldn't call him a young pup though. He's older than me

Jimbo Morphis

Enough homer picks.  Let's hear about some bad ones. The cheerleaders. First year Drew Central had football they did $1 shout outs the entire ball game. During plays he would be doing a shout out in his Larry the Cable guy voice.

athletic supporter

We went to Magnet Cove this year. Their PA guy was bad. He kept telling the fans to get up and cheer because it's 3rd down.

HorseFeathers

He did that in both games I attended there last year too...

Morriltons announcer is annoying with his 3rd down Sic'em dogs thing... But their crowd seems to love it

beach bum

Those last three comments gave me good laughs for sure.

Smackover Fan

Smackover's is an awesome guy. He's funny, knowledgeable, and sticks to the game. He did say something about the 52 yard line one time, but he corrected it and had both stands laughing. I always, although completely unfair, hate when an announcer is boring with visiting teams successful plays. Rather it be frustration, admiration, or disappointment, I like an announcer that has real emotion for the game.

HG Hornet

Quote from: Smackover Fan on October 07, 2018, 08:57:02 pm
I always, although completely unfair, hate when an announcer is boring with visiting teams successful plays. Rather it be frustration, admiration, or disappointment, I like an announcer that has real emotion for the game.
I agree.  Whether or not the home team is winning or losing, the visiting players deserve the right to hear their names called as well.  Last year in Hampton, their announcer didn't call another Hornet's name after halftime......can't help it we had 'em 39-14 at the half. 

A few years back, we had a young English teacher fellow who did the pa announcing at games.  He was fun, but he left to go teach up in north Arkansas somewhere.  Mr. Stripling, we miss your "BOOM SHAKALAKA" after Hornet touchdowns.

HorseFeathers

I don't like pa announcers that don't even bother to announce the name of the opposing players who score.... And it seems to be more common than it used to be..

xadboy

The Cedarville announcer kept saying the penalties were against Lamar before the ref had signaled. Needless to say he was wrong 90% of the time. It was pretty comical to here him say correction the penalty was against Cedarville.

ea cat

oldtiger88

Never understood why a PA guy feels the need to do play by play to people who are watching the game. Murfreesboro guy will actually say "he drops back to pass" during play.

mhs85grad

Quote from: oldtiger88 on October 08, 2018, 03:32:44 pm
Never understood why a PA guy feels the need to do play by play to people who are watching the game. Murfreesboro guy will actually say "he drops back to pass" during play.

For all the people with their nose in their phone instead of their eyes on the field.

Head Lion

The guy at Manila was like a pro, until he retired last year. lol

beach bum

Quote from: oldtiger88 on October 08, 2018, 03:32:44 pm

Lol.... like seriously???

RyanLR

We have a lady announcer Coach Cothren, who everyone but the home team absolutely HATES. "The running back was stopped by a caucus of Senators" etc.

oldtiger88

oldtiger88

Seems like the bigger schools have guys who know the guidelines of being a PA. Seems to worse with smaller schools. I think Centerpoint's guy does the job the way it is suppose to be done

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas