• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are you kidding me?

Started by JessieP, February 27, 2018, 09:04:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JessieP

Did anyone see who A-State plays on 9/8 of this year? Alabama! The Hogs may not be able to hide from A-State much longer. While U of A schedules Northern Southeastern Western East Trade Tech and Truckmaster School of Trucking on their non-conference schedule A-State plays Nebraska, Miami and Alabama. Good for them. I would love to see Hatcher get the last laugh on the big time schools who passed on him by taking a few snaps against Bama. I'm starting to become a Red Wolves fan.

MDXPHD

They're not playing bama because they can compete with them. They're playing them to get paid because they have to do they can sustain their success. It's strictly a money game. Just like the small schools scheduling Arkansas.

Overdahill

Quote from: MDXPHD on February 27, 2018, 10:38:15 pm
They're not playing bama because they can compete with them. They're playing them to get paid because they have to do they can sustain their success. It's strictly a money game. Just like the small schools scheduling Arkansas.

Coastal Carolina darn near got the money and the win  ;)

MDXPHD

Quote from: Overdahill on February 28, 2018, 08:02:56 am
Coastal Carolina darn near got the money and the win  ;)

Happens occasionally. Like when Monroe beat Saban and Bama in 07 (I think). Just happens far more often with teams playing Arkansas!  ;D

JessieP

Quote from: MDXPHD on February 28, 2018, 08:42:17 am
Happens occasionally. Like when Monroe beat Saban and Bama in 07 (I think). Just happens far more often with teams playing Arkansas!  ;D

Let us not forget the ultimate David vs. Goliath, Appalachian State slaying Michigan. And yes, I understand the thrust of A-State playing the big boys. My point was that A-State has been playing in some highly viewed National games lately. Arkansas has all but been booted from National tv, unless it's the mercy ruled games against Alabama, while A-State is getting some publicity.

MDXPHD

Quote from: JessieP on February 28, 2018, 10:30:12 am
Let us not forget the ultimate David vs. Goliath, Appalachian State slaying Michigan. And yes, I understand the thrust of A-State playing the big boys. My point was that A-State has been playing in some highly viewed National games lately. Arkansas has all but been booted from National tv, unless it's the mercy ruled games against Alabama, while A-State is getting some publicity.

A-State vs who is "highly viewed" nationally? Their Thursday night games? 

I hope Astate can get an upset over one of these big teams - because it's not gonna have a lot of live viewers. They will get their publicity by beating or almost beating one of them. I'm all for Astate and Arkansas doing well. It's possible these two teams have success and coexist..

Hogman2018

Quote from: JessieP on February 28, 2018, 10:30:12 am
u are so funny A State playing in national games! They better stick with that powerhouse conference there in!

Redwolves8526

I will be going to the Bama game next season. I don't expect us to win, obviously, but want to see a game in Bryant Denny. Definitely a bucket list item for me. ASU should be better next year, but not enough to beat the defending National Champs. Lol

Although, I do think we will be good enough to win every other game on our schedule, including Tulsa and UNLV at home. Man, an 11-1 season would be awesome for the Redwolves. We shall see

JessieP

Quote from: Hogman2018 on February 28, 2018, 01:02:57 pm
u are so funny A State playing in national games! They better stick with that powerhouse conference there in!

Hogman I understand your bitterness. It's a hard pill we've all had to swallow, it seems you may be the last person in the state whose yet to do so. Whether you accept it or not the cold hard fact cannot be denied, the Razorbacks are not a very good football team. Actually, they are quite bad. The fact that they play in the same conference as the best doesn't change that, it's not success by osmosis. Would A-State beat Arkansas in a head to head match? last year probably. Next year, yes. The Razorbacks had the 14th ranked recruiting class in the SEC. Their top recruit was the kid from Greenwood, he was only the 14th ranked pro style qb in the Nation. The 23rd overall qb. A great honor for him but not exactly a 5 Star. But by all means, keep bashing the strides A-State has made, we'll live and die with the Hogs, no other team deserves our support. So while we're struggling to beat FBS teams and going 0-fer in the SEC let's still not take any pride in anyone else.

Hogman2018

Hey I like A State i just know the competition is totally different! I know football enough to know that Arkansas would be AState

tmycjy

that not why A-State is playing these game it look like there pay me game u play those team and they give u the gate from it and that help pay for thing u are building or help pay for the program 

Redwolves8526

Quote from: Hogman2018 on February 28, 2018, 03:26:07 pm
Hey I like A State i just know the competition is totally different! I know football enough to know that Arkansas would be AState

Did you feel the same way against Coastal Carolina last year? That was an epic drive to win that game over a quality opponent

WPWells

Quote from: JessieP on February 28, 2018, 01:42:31 pm
Would A-State beat Arkansas in a head to head match? last year probably.

[Citation needed]

Would A-State beat Arkansas in a head to head match?...Next year, yes.

[Citation needed]

The Razorbacks had the 14th ranked recruiting class in the SEC.

But still 40 spots ahead of Arkansas State per 247Sports

Their top recruit was the kid from Greenwood, he was only the 14th ranked pro style qb in the Nation. The 23rd overall qb.

Who was Arkansas State's best recruit? What was their quarterback ranked?

A great honor for him but not exactly a 5 Star.

Correct, he was a 4 Star

But by all means, keep bashing the strides A-State has made, we'll live and die with the Hogs, no other team deserves our support.

Respect has to be earned in ways other than claiming you might beat Arkansas. As long as you're whining about how the Hogs won't play you and not beating the teams in front of you, it's very hard to give a good reason why Arkansas should play you or why you deserve respect.

Trojanbird

And Arkansas is respected as they once were???  I don't think that anyone is afraid of them like they once were!  It's sad that the program has fallen to the level of having to play the likes of Coastal Carolina, La Tech and others (paid) in order to get bowl elligible.  That hasn't even worked out too well for them.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Trojanbird on March 02, 2018, 08:26:39 am
And Arkansas is respected as they once were???  I don't think that anyone is afraid of them like they once were!  It's sad that the program has fallen to the level of having to play the likes of Coastal Carolina, La Tech and others (paid) in order to get bowl elligible.  That hasn't even worked out too well for them.

Arkansas won the championship in 1964. They've had a good program, but what respect are you talking about? Teams don't necessarily fear Arkansas. Arkansas, and many other big schools, always play "money games" with smaller schools. Sometimes it can bite them, like it has others, but it doesn't change anything. I would absolutely love for Arkansas to play ASU so the debate can be over. Arkansas has supieror athletes and would win 9/10 years imo.

Trojanbird

I am aware of the 64 championship, but that was 54 years ago, kind of hard to hang your hat on that anymore.  What superior athletes are you referring to?  Apparently I have missed them!

OB11

The fact that this argument is even taking place says a lot about the state of both programs over the last 8-10 years.

WPWells

Quote from: OB11 on March 02, 2018, 09:44:00 am
The fact that this argument is even taking place says a lot about the state of both programs over the last 8-10 years.

The argument is pretty one-sided. It's little brother making a bunch of noise.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.

OB11

Quote from: WPWells on March 02, 2018, 09:55:20 am

The fact that Arkansas fans are on a Sunbelt Conference forum defending themselves tells us everything we need to know about the argument.

Redwolves8526

What has Arkansas done to be a lion? Haha

Redwolves8526

Also, if you are big brother, why aren't you coming to play us? I thought big brother always had to establish dominance over little brother?

MDXPHD

Quote from: Trojanbird on March 02, 2018, 09:07:09 am
I am aware of the 64 championship, but that was 54 years ago, kind of hard to hang your hat on that anymore.  What superior athletes are you referring to?  Apparently I have missed them!

That's my point. You act like Arkansas is a national powerhouse who puts fear into other teams. That's just not the case. You said we aren't respected like we once were..I'm not sure what you were referring to.

beach bum

I want Arkansas to play A State every year... It's childish that we are one of the only power 5 schools that won't do this with other in state schools. It's sad for the state we don't get to see that game every year. I'd much rather play Arkansas State than Coastal Carolina, Florida A&M, or any other team in FCS or a non power 5 that we have no interest in watching. That is my biggest gripe with college football is sometimes a power 5 will literally have 4 games on their schedule that draw none of my interest. Arkansas had 3 of those games and will have 4 next year. At least draw some relevancy out of non conference games instead of having snooze fests for non conference. I really appreciate the other power 5's going to 9 conference games EXCEPT FOR THE SEC. I am ready for the SEC to go that route too so we can see more meaningful games. Again, I'd rather watch us play another SEC East opponent with the addition of a 9th conference game or A State any day than some random FCS team.

Trojanbird

Quote from: MDXPHD on March 02, 2018, 11:58:46 am
That's my point. You act like Arkansas is a national powerhouse who puts fear into other teams. That's just not the case. You said we aren't respected like we once were..I'm not sure what you were referring to.
I am in no way saying that Arkansas is a national power house!  You have to beat respectable teams in order to earn that respect!  We won't get there by stacking the schedule with cupcake teams!  As of late we seem to play to our competition and in most cases loosing. I would venture to say that at one time we would have been considered a national power

Gulfhog

Different perspective.  AState fans want to play Arkansas just so they can understand what it feels like to see a sold out game.  I grew up in Jonesboro and have been to many games but have yet to see it happen.  Against SEC opponent Missouri (nope), Sun Belt Champion game vs Troy last year (nope again and not even close), and not in any other game maybe than Memphis years ago....only because a flood of blue showed up.  Try again...quit asking Arkansas to do a job you can't do on your own.  ASU has an exciting team and a fantastic coach...go support them consistently before throwing shade at the Razorbacks.  If ASU fans won't show up on their own then why should the UofA?   The Hogs don't sell out every game but it still happens quite frequently.

I know, I know....Please give me grief about the 36000 fans that showed up at WMS for Florida A&M.....still more than any ASU home game by a lot.     

beach bum

March 07, 2018, 12:38:07 pm #25 Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 12:55:20 pm by beach bum
Quote from: Gulfhog on March 07, 2018, 12:18:48 pm
Different perspective.  AState fans want to play Arkansas just so they can understand what it feels like to see a sold out game.  I grew up in Jonesboro and have been to many games but have yet to see it happen.  Against SEC opponent Missouri (nope), Sun Belt Champion game vs Troy last year (nope again and not even close), and not in any other game maybe than Memphis years ago....only because a flood of blue showed up.  Try again...quit asking Arkansas to do a job you can't do on your own.  ASU has an exciting team and a fantastic coach...go support them consistently before throwing shade at the Razorbacks.  If ASU fans won't show up on their own then why should the UofA?   The Hogs don't sell out every game but it still happens quite frequently.

I know, I know....Please give me grief about the 36000 fans that showed up at WMS for Florida A&M.....still more than any ASU home game by a lot.   

Did you just ignore the empty seats in Little Rock AND FAYETTEVILLE this last season or what? That was embarrassing....We are an SEC school. Not a Sun Belt school if you haven't noticed. Why are you even trying to compare horrible SEC attendance to a Sun Belt school? It's a lot easier to sell tickets when Alabama is coming to Fayetteville compared to Troy coming to Jonesboro. You can't compare us playing LSU, Auburn  or Alabama to them playing Troy or UL Monroe. The name Alabama or Auburn sells itself so you can't even try to compare that. Also, Jonesboro does not have nearly 550,000 people in its metro area like NWA to fill seats easier. NWA has just grown to the point where it could almost sustain itself numbers wise which would have been unimaginable 25 years ago. Literally, people were giving their tickets away to U of A games. Tickets on Stubhub were selling for FIVE BUCKS to the Miss State and Mizzou game. Please explain how that is not a total embarrassment to an SEC program. The leadership at the U of A has lost me with the football program. I support the other programs, but could care less about the joke of a football program the way its ran.

Gulfhog

Of course the empty seats were noticed at WMS and DWR.  I was at the Little Rock game and the Mississippi State game as well.  Arkansas had a bad year and attendance suffered.  That happens when any school has a down year.  I was also at the Florida game the year before when it was packed.  Your trying to base everything on 2017 and I'm talking about attendance over a very long span.  AState has never been able to bring in the fans in bunches.  Missouri was a big deal and didn't sell out.  I even bought tickets to the Miami game about two weeks in advance last year and had no problems finding a good seat.  I was very disappointed the game didn't happen.  I'm not asking ASU to pack in 75,000 people but 30,000 should be expected if they really want to be taken seriously.  Btw, I do compare Arkansas vs Alabama or Auburn to AState vs Troy or UL Monroe.  Those are huge conference rivals on both sides and should be respected as such.  If you can't pack your own house for a nationally televised Sun Belt Championship game (which I attended) but then start complaining about Arkansas' priorities then what you are really saying about yourself.  There are over 250,000 people within Jonesboro and the immediate surrounding counties and that does not include the actual students on campus. Expecting 30,000 fans at the big games is not a reach especially if the fan base is truly crazy about the Red Wolves.  Of course, this is only football....basketball, baseball, etc are even worse.  Jonesboro High School might have better basketball attendance than ASU....I'm sure that is somehow the Razorbacks' fault as well. 

Redwolves8526

Quote from: Gulfhog on March 07, 2018, 08:07:35 pm
Of course the empty seats were noticed at WMS and DWR.  I was at the Little Rock game and the Mississippi State game as well.  Arkansas had a bad year and attendance suffered.  That happens when any school has a down year.  I was also at the Florida game the year before when it was packed.  Your trying to base everything on 2017 and I'm talking about attendance over a very long span.  AState has never been able to bring in the fans in bunches.  Missouri was a big deal and didn't sell out.  I even bought tickets to the Miami game about two weeks in advance last year and had no problems finding a good seat.  I was very disappointed the game didn't happen.  I'm not asking ASU to pack in 75,000 people but 30,000 should be expected if they really want to be taken seriously.  Btw, I do compare Arkansas vs Alabama or Auburn to AState vs Troy or UL Monroe.  Those are huge conference rivals on both sides and should be respected as such.  If you can't pack your own house for a nationally televised Sun Belt Championship game (which I attended) but then start complaining about Arkansas' priorities then what you are really saying about yourself.  There are over 250,000 people within Jonesboro and the immediate surrounding counties and that does not include the actual students on campus. Expecting 30,000 fans at the big games is not a reach especially if the fan base is truly crazy about the Red Wolves.  Of course, this is only football....basketball, baseball, etc are even worse.  Jonesboro High School might have better basketball attendance than ASU....I'm sure that is somehow the Razorbacks' fault as well.

A 10 win season in basketball will get you that...last year basketball attendance was pretty decent having a decent team. As far as football goes, we average the highest attendance in the Sun Belt, which is an accomplishment within itself. Moving to a different conference soon gets those numbers up around 30-40K I think. Like Beach Bum said, ULM and Troy don't sell like Memphis, Tulsa, UCF, etc would in the American conference, if that is where we could get an invite.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas