• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No confidence at all in MaxPreps

Started by Mr316, February 17, 2018, 10:09:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr316

Apparently wins don't get the value they deserve in ranking with this style of system. I don't know exactly how their system works but I can assure you that it is weak to say the least. The new rankings came out this morning and they still have Bearden ranked over PC. After two wins over a team how do you rank lower than that team? After today I have Zero conference in their rankings!!

BigLion10

Rule Number 1: Never use MP rankings as a credible source, because they are always jacked up

mtindian42

February 17, 2018, 10:31:29 am #2 Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 10:34:56 am by mtindian42
They are not for your liking. They crunch the numbers for you.and give you a place to go to see all the records of boys and girls. They encourage you to use their rankings to create your own.its a beautiful thing to have access to.so if you want to put PC ahead of bearden it's all good!

eldofan

Rankings mean nothing . Only final scores !

PapaHog

Joke's on you if you use MP for anything other than to see final scores. MP is trash.

eldofan

February 17, 2018, 01:37:55 pm #5 Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 01:39:26 pm by eldofan
Very well said

Mr. Trill

I'm sure every single FF posters knows about MP inaccuracies and I'm pretty sure every FF posters know rankIngs are garbage. <—— Hear stuff about this every post.

sevenof400

Quote from: mtindian42 on February 17, 2018, 10:31:29 am
They are not for your liking. They crunch the numbers for you.and give you a place to go to see all the records of boys and girls. They encourage you to use their rankings to create your own.its a beautiful thing to have access to.so if you want to put PC ahead of bearden it's all good!

As an aside, it is also worth remembering the results on MaxPreps are not always trustworthy either as wrong (incorrect) results can and often are reported.  Anyone can report scores (results) and while that does NOT mean your result will be accepted as fact initially if no one else reports a result eventually a wrong result can be posted.

I'm saying this because in it's intent, individual schools were supposed to be responsible for reporting their results to MaxPreps according to AAA directives.  In reality, that has not been the case. 

mtindian42

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 17, 2018, 04:21:00 pm
As an aside, it is also worth remembering the results on MaxPreps are not always trustworthy either as wrong (incorrect) results can and often are reported.  Anyone can report scores (results) and while that does NOT mean your result will be accepted as fact initially if no one else reports a result eventually a wrong result can be posted.

I'm saying this because in it's intent, individual schools were supposed to be responsible for reporting their results to MaxPreps according to AAA directives.  In reality, that has not been the case.
yes that's their main purpose. Also if schools would post to MP like their supposed to...it would make it a much better experience.

Yogi bear

Quote from: Mr316 on February 17, 2018, 10:09:04 am
Apparently wins don't get the value they deserve in ranking with this style of system. I don't know exactly how their system works but I can assure you that it is weak to say the least. The new rankings came out this morning and they still have Bearden ranked over PC. After two wins over a team how do you rank lower than that team? After today I have Zero conference in their rankings!!

Just looked on max preps p.c 3. Bearden 5 good luck at regionals hope to meet again in the finals.

bbfan89

No doubt that MT has had a great year in athletics and it's not over yet. I guess you can call it the year of the Indian. However, let us not forget that this has been the decade of the Warriors. Two state titles, four finals appearances and played great competition and absolutely owned MT from 2009 until recently. Yeah MT got a win over EPC in an early round game of the Jennings at Armorel in December of 2011 and what do they do? They rushed the court like they had won a national championship. Oh, and by the way the Indians went on to take four more losses to the Warriors that season and not one single time did EPC or their fans rush the floor because those wins were not he ultimate prize or goal. As they say act like you have been there before.  Enjoy the run your on because it can be over in the blink of an eye.

Ba$ketballFan54321

February 20, 2018, 09:53:03 pm #11 Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 09:55:14 pm by Ba$ketballFan54321
I agree that MaxPreps has its issues, which is one reason I made my own rating system. But I think the main misunderstanding is that their rankings are not constructed in a traditional way. For example, they don't say "PC beat Bearden, therefore PC > Bearden." It's all in "points above average." So PC (and Bearden) would be expected to beat the average team in America by 11 points. I think it's all conducted based on strength of schedule and margin of victory, probably with recent games weighted a little more. Not sure exactly, but it's the best I can make sense of it. I wish they were a little more transparent with their formula.. it would at least make it more accessible to fans.

Anyways, they have Marked Tree 1st and Murfreesboro 48th and I don't think there's any argument with those two spots haha.

mtindian42

Quote from: Ba$ketballFan54321 on February 20, 2018, 09:53:03 pm
I agree that MaxPreps has its issues, which is one reason I made my own rating system. But I think the main misunderstanding is that their rankings are not constructed in a traditional way. For example, they don't say "PC beat Bearden, therefore PC > Bearden." It's all in "points above average." So PC (and Bearden) would be expected to beat the average team in America by 11 points. I think it's all conducted based on strength of schedule and margin of victory, probably with recent games weighted a little more. Not sure exactly, but it's the best I can make sense of it. I wish they were a little more transparent with their formula.. it would at least make it more accessible to fans.

Anyways, they have Marked Tree 1st and Murfreesboro 48th and I don't think there's any argument with those two spots haha.
MPs is just a source for fans to have and coaches to report to. They're rankings are Nation wide. Then they do one for each class in every state. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

Ba$ketballFan54321

Quote from: mtindian42 on February 21, 2018, 05:49:25 am
MPs is just a source for fans to have and coaches to report to. They're rankings are Nation wide. Then they do one for each class in every state. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

Yeah I agree! The amount of information available to fans today is soooo much more than it was not too many years ago. I love it.

BasketballFan2A

Quote from: Ba$ketballFan54321 on February 20, 2018, 09:53:03 pm

idk about that lol should Murfreesboro even be ranked? Defeated two years in a row haha

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas