• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did I see PA punt the ball?

Started by DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam, December 13, 2017, 01:01:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Did I see PA punt the ball in the State Championship game?   

STBruin

Yep... McClellan had no timeouts, 4th and 12, I think. So they punted to make them drive 80 yards in a little over a minute.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam on December 13, 2017, 01:01:43 pm
Did I see PA punt the ball in the State Championship game?   

It is written:  Ecclesiastes, Chapter 3.  "There is a time for all things, a time to punt and a time to go for it on fourth down."

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on December 13, 2017, 08:16:44 pm
It is written:  Ecclesiastes, Chapter 3.  "There is a time for all things, a time to punt and a time to go for it on fourth down."

+1 

Kelley with his "we never punt".  Kind of like "Situational Ethics".  Cracks me up.  I bet he was second guessing that mantra during the first few series against McClellan, when it was 4th and long inside the McClellan's 25 yard line.   It cost him two touchdowns.  And almost cost them the game. 

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam on December 14, 2017, 09:05:04 am
+1 

Kelley with his "we never punt".  Kind of like "Situational Ethics".  Cracks me up.  I bet he was second guessing that mantra during the first few series against McClellan, when it was 4th and long inside the McClellan's 25 yard line.   It cost him two touchdowns.  And almost cost them the game.
People simply don't understand the philosophy behind no punts, onside kicks, etc. It's all percentage based. Which action provides a better chance to win - go for it or punt. In that situation, it was punt. PA also punted in the championship game against Wynne a few years back.

Kelley has punted twice in 4 years. You're right, "no punts" is a fraud.

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on December 14, 2017, 09:55:18 am
People simply don't understand the philosophy behind no punts, onside kicks, etc. It's all percentage based. Which action provides a better chance to win - go for it or punt. In that situation, it was punt. PA also punted in the championship game against Wynne a few years back.

Kelley has punted twice in 4 years. You're right, "no punts" is a fraud.

Was being sarcastic.  Didn't mean to offend the Kelley Fan Club.  Sorry.  :/

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam on December 14, 2017, 10:43:38 am
Was being sarcastic.  Didn't mean to offend the Kelley Fan Club.  Sorry.  :/
You are largely forgiven.

Maynard G Krebs

AT

Is this the thread where we fight about PA this week?

Has anyone ever talked about how PA is a private school and we are all lowly public schools.

But in all seriousness, I called that punt, Chuck.

Even the PA play by play guys on the radio said they'd be surprised if he did and I told myself "He'll punt this one and make them drive the length of the field."

That being said, if Coach KK had gone for it, it wouldn't have been shocking.

Made

I think there are several variables at play in the scenario

how long will it take to score if they get the ball from here.....how long will it take to score from there. Of course we all know a quick strike can happen, but the average drive of 50 yards takes how long compared to 80+ yard drive. With this occurring at the end of the game it makes sense this comes into play.

I have seen where Kelly talked about scoring from 5 is 92% and from the 50 it's 77% only a 15% difference( this was also recently referenced on "Young Sheldon" a spin off of Big Bang theory)

What I haven't seen is what do the numbers say from opposite 20 or even inside opposite 10. Is it more beneficial to pin them inside their own 10/20 or going for it on 4th down?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas