• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Outlook: The Frest Start......again.

Started by AirWarren, December 06, 2017, 01:49:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RZback

Quote from: bdubyab60 on February 08, 2018, 06:39:46 am
Well Gus runs the same thing he was running in 2A level. It still puts points in the board. Morris also uses some of that same offense. Just tweaks it and uses variations of it.

He puts points in the board. Clemson as the OC and at SMU.

A play doesn't have to be complicated or complex to be effective. Just create the right matchup, be executed well and put players in the right spots to make plays.

I mean the Eagles just uses a mainly zone read and RPO offense to win a super bowl.

All that having some truth to it, you still need very good players to keep pace in the SEC, nobodies offense or defense is going to pull wins out of a magic hat without talent.  "If we want it bad enough we will win????"

bdubyab60

I was more talking the comment made about the simplicity of 3A offenses. The recruiting has changed more to speed and aggressive players from what I've seen.

RZback

I'm not sure all 3A offenses are so simple, nor all 7A are more so.  Really, read option and RPO I wouldn't say are necessarily simpler than say I offense where there are no options nor choices to decide on pre or post snap.  Football is about execution and making proper decisions on the move. 

gameoflife

Well Gus runs the same thing he was running in 2A level. It still puts points in the board. Morris also uses some of that same offense. Just tweaks it and uses variations of it.

Oh my God!  It's football, everybody does the same stuff one way or another.  Everybody copies from one another and tweaks it. Been doing that for decades.  Either you got players or you don't.  NO players and it doesn't matter who the head coach is or what system you are running.  Heck, people talk about how good Gus is, how bad the wing T is, that's what the man got his offense from, just put it into a different set from what most people were used to seeing, single back gun but he wasnt the first or the last. 

Lionheart88

At the 3A high school level, staffs are tiny and coach are mostly if not entirely teaching classes all day.  They also have to work around whatever kids live in the district.  An SEC school has a comparatively huge staff, coaches who do nothing but coach all day, and players that are, on the average, tremendously bigger, stronger, faster, and smarter than the average high school.  If they aren't using much larger playbooks and adding wrinkles to the scheme that high schools don't have the time or personnel to implement, they aren't doing their jobs.  Sure, maybe they both run the same basic formation, but that's like saying that a kid that's had Algebra I should be able to pick Differential Equations right up because hey, it's all numbers right?

bdubyab60

I'm sure the Hog offense will have plenty of wrinkles

bdubyab60

Picked up Dorian Gerald today. Beat out A&M Florida and Tennessee for him

AirWarren

Quote from: bdubyab60 on February 09, 2018, 05:20:35 pm
Picked up Dorian Gerald today. Beat out A&M Florida and Tennessee for him

WPS.

Did good with little time and poor outreach by the previous staff.

Build it. And they will come.

bdubyab60

He is a JUCO 3* but 23 offers. 22 sacks in his first 2 seasons.

So by what I understand we have signed 17 and we had 10 spots by what I know.

sportsguy80

Future looks promising to say the least. I'm a bit excited about this new era.

bdubyab60

I know numbers aren't that impressive for the recruiting class this year. I think we still need up in the 50's ranking wise and bottom of the SEC. Doesn't sound great at all.

The positives. Even with the low numbers this is still the 3rd highest rated, per recruit average we have had in the past 10 years. He did that after being hired later than other coaches. With an early signing period and without a full staff. Then beat out SEC schools for some of these guys after being late to the party.

I am optimistic that Morris may actually be the best recruiter we have had at Arkansas. With a full year to recruit for 2019 and the current offers. It is possible that we may have one of the highest rated classes we've ever had. Not saying it will happen but just by who he's targeting and could possibly land it could be.

bdubyab60

AirWarren

Quote from: bdubyab60 on February 10, 2018, 07:12:13 am
I know numbers aren't that impressive for the recruiting class this year. I think we still need up in the 50's ranking wise and bottom of the SEC. Doesn't sound great at all.

The positives. Even with the low numbers this is still the 3rd highest rated, per recruit average we have had in the past 10 years. He did that after being hired later than other coaches. With an early signing period and without a full staff. Then beat out SEC schools for some of these guys after being late to the party.

I am optimistic that Morris may actually be the best recruiter we have had at Arkansas. With a full year to recruit for 2019 and the current offers. It is possible that we may have one of the highest rated classes we've ever had. Not saying it will happen but just by who he's targeting and could possibly land it could be.

Need to lock up Treylon and Hudson.

Trojanbird

I don't understand how he could sign a full class anyway, he is currently over the roster limit now.  I hate to see new coaches come in and sign a new class only to cull the players that are currently there.

bleudog

AW, would you please take the modify option and change that t to an h in the title.  My OCD side is acting up.  ;D

http://www.fearlessfriday.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=154569.msg3564439#msg3564439

cuckoobird

There are several players that need culling

AirWarren

beach bum

Quote from: cuckoobird on February 10, 2018, 04:15:58 pm
There are several players that need culling

Start with the TE that runs a 5.0 and Bert even tried to hand him the ball in goal line situations  ???

bdubyab60

bdubyab60

On another forum. Seems with transfers and what not we are still 5 schollies over right now.

RZback

Just jerk the worst players scholarships so you can sign the guys you really want.  It would let the guys who loose their scholarships seek an alternative.

Valleysports

Hey that moved Arkansas up from 110 to 49th..  14th (dead last) in the SEC.  I'm not trying to reign on the parade, just throwing out some reality for discussion.  Alabama, Auburn, A&M, LSU, recruited a team one level above Arkansas.  Basically 12-15 Fours Stars vs Arkansas 12-15 Three Stars.  Fact is that won't cut it..  I think Arkansas has hit the jack pot with Morris and Chavis (reason Dorian is coming) and recruiting will improve a ton, but I don't think Arkansas will win 4 SEC games before Dorian graduates.  Arkansas could've used the freshman DE A&M flipped from Bama.  Happy Valentines!  ;)

bdubyab60

Like I said next year will be the test for Morris. The class is way better than where it was going to be and is last in the SEC because of not being able to sign a full class. It would have been firmly in the middle as usual with a full class.

A&M will be right in the middle as usually until Orgerons coaching finally kicks in.

Just expect us to look like we have played football next year

Valleysports

beach bum

Quote from: Valleysports on February 15, 2018, 08:43:10 pm
So same SEC finish as last year?

Arkansas will finish 6th in the West.... just ahead of A&M in last in the West.

Valleysports

February 16, 2018, 08:41:39 am #225 Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 07:56:36 am by Valleysports
Quote from: beach bum on February 15, 2018, 08:50:29 pm
Arkansas will finish 6th in the West.... just ahead of A&M in last in the West.

Good Beach Bum we can have fun with this.  While it might not be saying much, A&M is a better team than last year.  Remember all the comments about having never heard of so many freshman and sophomores playing n the AR vs A&M game?  With their starting freshman QB out they still beat Arkansas for the 6th straight year.  What has changed other than coach upgrade and A&M having a 4 star recruit class vs Arkansas 3 star?  So you're thinking Ole Miss might finish above A&M and Arkansas?

RZback

Arkansas is still at the bottom of the SEC right now and a bunch of 3* will not get us to the top.  I don't think Morris or Chavis is a good enough coach to to that.  So far I'm taking a wait and see attitude on the team and next years season but I'm not going to expect a huge win loss turnaround wit what we have at this point.  I'm concerned about if we cannot win 6 or more next season, how that effects the future of success is what worries me.

gameoflife

Hog fans should prepare for the worst and hope for the best, the result may be somewhere in between.  To make a big jump Defense is going to have to make huge gains and offense is going to have to have some consistency.   

Valleysports

Beach Bum are you looking at the SEC Recruiting? As ricepig would say - it doesn't matter until the kids show up for the first day of practice, however while Arkansas is somewhat pleased with their 49th ranked, 2018, 3* recruit class, other SEC teams are fired up about their 4-5* 2019 commits.  I think Arkansas made the right head coach choice, but he'd better bring David's sling shot to fight Goliath.     

WPWells

gameoflife

Quote from: WPWells on March 07, 2018, 09:54:07 am
Hearing Storey has jumped Kelley as QB1

And that is news because Kelly is too fat to move and got in trouble for DWI.  Storey who?

Ctucker

Quote from: WPWells on March 07, 2018, 09:54:07 am
Hearing Storey has jumped Kelley as QB1
Surely we can find somebody better!

RZback

House full of QB's and not a great one in the mix.  2018 looks bleak I'm afraid.  Oh well BB taught us not to expect too much.

bdubyab60

Quote from: Ctucker on March 07, 2018, 07:09:00 pm
Surely we can find somebody better!
Storey may be better who knows. We all know B.B. didn't do very well at putting the correct talent in the field.

I guess some folks are are expecting 10 wins next year. Won't happen, imo we will be around.500.

As far as recruiting. By what I've read Morris has only given offers to 4 and 5 stars so far. Plus he is going in to Bama, GA to try and get these players. Don't know if we get them but we haven't had a staff do that at anytime I can remember to try and get those kinds of players

RZback

You saying all the signees are 4-5 star recruits?

bdubyab60

Quote from: RZback on March 08, 2018, 12:14:44 pm
You saying all the signees are 4-5 star recruits?
All the 2019 he has offered are 4 and 5 Star

RZback

Quote from: bdubyab60 on March 08, 2018, 01:59:36 pm
All the 2019 he has offered are 4 and 5 Star

Ok, thanks for the clarification.  I didn't think the current signees were all 4 or 5.

bdubyab60

Quote from: RZback on March 09, 2018, 01:36:00 pm
Ok, thanks for the clarification.  I didn't think the current signees were all 4 or 5.
Fogot to put the 2019 in there. I'm sure there will be some 3 stars offered though lol

Valleysports

March 09, 2018, 06:56:43 pm #238 Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 09:42:43 pm by Valleysports
Seems like Arkansas has one 3 star commit.

bdubyab60

Quote from: Valleysports on March 09, 2018, 06:56:43 pm
Seems like Arkansas has one 3 star commit.

Long way to go before 2019 kids start signing. I haven't seen an Arkansas coach going after recruits like Morris is.

bleudog

Valleysports

Quote from: bdubyab60 on March 10, 2018, 08:25:55 am
Long way to go before 2019 kids start signing. I haven't seen an Arkansas coach going after recruits like Morris is.

Top college football programs are on top of the recruiting years out.  Having commits a year out is the difference in mediocre and not..

bdubyab60

Quote from: Valleysports on March 16, 2018, 02:25:58 pm
Top college football programs are on top of the recruiting years out.  Having commits a year out is the difference in mediocre and not..
We are working on it. I dont know how things will turn out. But Morris is getting after it, I'll give him that. And he's offered players out to 2020. So he is looking ahead and trying

Valleysports

Quote from: bdubyab60 on March 16, 2018, 06:43:18 pm
We are working on it. I dont know how things will turn out. But Morris is getting after it, I'll give him that. And he's offered players out to 2020. So he is looking ahead and trying

True on Morris getting after it.  I do think Morris is the best man for the job.  Unfortunately he's facing bigger obstacles than possibly any other coach in Arkansas history. Dynamics of the SEC West.     

RZback

Quote from: Valleysports on March 17, 2018, 08:53:53 am
True on Morris getting after it.  I do think Morris is the best man for the job.  Unfortunately he's facing bigger obstacles than possibly any other coach in Arkansas history. Dynamics of the SEC West.   

Can you elaborate on your proposition here. What makes him the best man for the job and how is he facing bigger obstacles than any other coach in UA history?    I admit he wasn't my pick but I don't see why he was the best man for the job.  Obstacles, I guess if you are saying UA is in the worst shape in its history which may be true, I'd agree with that.

Valleysports

March 21, 2018, 01:18:53 pm #245 Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 09:01:40 pm by Valleysports
Arkansas lost a rung on the ladder when A&M came into the SEC.  Whether Rzfans understand that or not, it is what it is.  A&M being the only SEC Team in Texas, having the money, best facilities, recruits, etc, etc...  The SEC is faaaast & big...  I feel Morris will be able to recruit a 1st string of SEC players - but Bama, A&M, LSU have equal 2nd-3rd strings.  4th quarter will always be a problem.  Auburn has Malzahn as well as good recruits.  Malzahn understands trying to gain every advantage possible.  Why the heck would you play straight up Old School with Bama! This is why Morris is the best coach for Arkansas - he's not straight up stupid.  He's a Malzahn understudy.  If the opponent is bigger, stronger, faster he'll run to their weakness, some sort of disguising misdirection, wildcat, whatever.  If he can bring SMU back from the Death Penalty, 30 yrs later, he should be able to help Arkansas.  Arkansas, Miss St, Ole Miss......

RZback

Not sure Morris brought SMU back from the death penalty.  June Jones won two divisional titles, Had 4 winning seasons in a row and 3 of 4 bowl appearances while the first HC at SMU after the death penalty.  I'd say he's the guy that revived the program. He did leave the program after a bad season but then Morris was only there 3 years so there is no guarantee that he would have continued to win or to improve the record.  For this reason I think he's a bit of a gamble for UA.  Hopefully he will turn them around as quickly as some are predicting.

bdubyab60

Quote from: Valleysports on March 17, 2018, 08:53:53 am
Im not sure it's bigger obstacles. Sure it's tough. But for the most part recent Hog coaches haven't ventured in to Texas as much or recruited it as hard.

We have made the list for several highly regarded recruits here lately. I can't remember that happening here recently either.

Also while we only have a few commits that are 3 stars. Morris has offered the highest percentage of 4 and 5 Star recruits ever for Arkansas.

Again that shows he is working the recruiting trail harder than any other Hog coach I've heard of. If he starts landing some of these kids things could get interesting.

Is he the right man for the job. Who knows. We will know in 4 or 5 years probably.

Also we have been competitive in years with less talent and a worse coach than all the schools you mentioned. A few game changers can have a big effect and we will see what Morris can do. If he doesn't get it done then next man up.

That's why Jimbo is at A&M right

cuckoobird

Jones wasn't the first HC after the death penalty. Forrest Gregg was

bleudog

March 22, 2018, 11:14:28 am #249 Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 11:19:57 am by bleudog
Quote from: RZback on March 22, 2018, 12:03:02 am
Not sure Morris brought SMU back from the death penalty.  June Jones won two divisional titles, Had 4 winning seasons in a row and 3 of 4 bowl appearances while the first HC at SMU after the death penalty.  I'd say he's the guy that revived the program. He did leave the program after a bad season but then Morris was only there 3 years so there is no guarantee that he would have continued to win or to improve the record.  For this reason I think he's a bit of a gamble for UA.  Hopefully he will turn them around as quickly as some are predicting.

Quote from: cuckoobird on March 22, 2018, 10:24:15 am
Jones wasn't the first HC after the death penalty. Forrest Gregg was

"In 1987, SMU football became the first, and currently only, football program in collegiate athletic history to receive the "death penalty" for repeat violation of NCAA rules, that is, having a sports program fully terminated for a determined amount of time. SMU's football program was terminated for the 1987 season because the University was making approximately $61,000 in booster payments from 1985 to 1986. It later emerged that a slush fund had been used to pay players as early as the mid-1970s, and athletic officials had known about it as early as 1981."

Dave Smith           1973–1975        16-15-2
Ron Meyer             1976–1981        34-32-1
Bobby Collins         1982–1986        43-14-1

Forrest Gregg        1989–1990          3-19-0
Tom Rossley          1991–1996        15-48-3
Mike Cavan            1997–2001        22–34
Phil Bennett           2002–2007        18–52
June Jones             2008–2014        36–52
Tom Mason (Interim)       2014            1–9
Chad Morris            2015–2017        14-22
Sonny Dykes           2017-Present       0-1

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas