• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5a Top 10

Started by redsport27, November 08, 2017, 07:50:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redsport27

November 08, 2017, 07:50:04 pm Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 07:53:56 pm by redsport27
I know the season has already started for some teams but I'd like to get a top 10 thread for 5a going! So here is mine:

1. Mills (Central)
2. Parkview (Central)
3. Fair (Central)
4. Maumelle (West)
5. Hot Springs (South)
6. Harrison (West)
7. Sylvan Hills (Central)
8. Morrilton (West)
9. Nettleton (East)
10. Watson Chapel (South)

This was sort of hard after 1-5 but that makes it interesting! There's some teams you guys may argue should have had a place in the top 10 so that's why I want to hear other polls. And yes, I did somewhat base this off of last year because I don't really know about transfers or skill drop-off due to seniors. A lot of teams could've gone at the #10 spot but I think Watson Chapel has a talented team coming up.

AT

I just don't follow 5A basketball as much as I used to do this and it is much tougher with the blended conferences. This is a solid list, though.

BirdCall

Parkview over Mills this year they don't have enough size this year but still are very talented. I just think Parkview may be the best team in the state this year.

MikeDieselâ„¢

Man, the East must be weak :)

I'm intrigued by what Blytheville has this year.  Will be interesting to see what they can do. 

Titan Spirit

No Little Rock Christian...I thought they had Hill and a UALR Signee?

croboostbusted

Girls-
1. Watson Chapel (picked up Mayberry and Warford and Coach Henderson is a HS genius)
2. Nettleton (good to great everywhere)
3. LRCA (Best PG in 5A and arguably the state and the best 9th grader in the state in Rogers)
4. Batesville (Really strong and added Southside's best young player)
5. Beebe (Libbie Hill and Katie Turner are very good)
6. Hot Springs ( 3 good guards, and super athletic)
7. Sylvan Hills ( people sleeping on this team. good last year and didn't lose anyone with the Canady and Bell girl)
8. Farmington (higher once Vanzant gets healthy and back on the floor)
9. Clarksville (Sr. heavy and caught the injury bug last year)
10. Vilonia (really talented shooters as a young core and some talented seniors and Coach Riley)

redsport27

Quote from: Titan Spirit on November 09, 2017, 01:38:55 pm
No Little Rock Christian...I thought they had Hill and a UALR Signee?
See I was contemplating on LRCA in the 10 spot. They are a good team but they do need some work. Hopefully Coach Findley can start making some good progress this year. According to maxpreps, they lost to Cabot the other night by a lot...but it's good that they are playing good opponents to find their strengths and weaknesses early on. Plus, they have Hill in football still. I know the UALR signee is a junior I think? Someone can enlighten me on that. I know he's huge though and can be a threat down under. I will come out with another poll soon and I bet LRCA will sneak in.

redsport27

Quote from: MikeDieselâ„¢ on November 09, 2017, 11:24:42 am
Man, the East must be weak :)

I'm intrigued by what Blytheville has this year.  Will be interesting to see what they can do.
I really don't know much about the east. I know Blytheville and Nettleton could be in there. I was questioning myself if I should put those two in there. I want to see how those two teams play this season. I wonder if Forrest City will get back to their winning ways too...

Coachbanks12

Boys Hot Springs will not be that high we lost a lot to graduation and we are very young.
Girls Hot Springs will shock everyone this year and will have a great chance to win it all this year. Super duo in Honey and Guinn

Mijally2

Maumelle boys lost their top 7-8 players to graduation and transfer so they will be reloading with reserves and sophomores but I expect them to play hard and compete.

godeep

November 10, 2017, 02:11:46 pm #10 Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 02:20:17 pm by godeep
1. Parkview
2. Mills
3. Fair
4. Sylvan Hills
5. Nettleton
6. Harrison
7. Maumelle
8. Forrest City
9. Morrilton
10 Watson Chapel

Neckred

Quote from: croboostbusted on November 09, 2017, 01:47:35 pm
Girls-
1. Watson Chapel (picked up Mayberry and Warford and Coach Henderson is a HS genius)
2. Nettleton (good to great everywhere)
3. LRCA (Best PG in 5A and arguably the state and the best 9th grader in the state in Rogers)
4. Batesville (Really strong and added Southside's best young player)
5. Beebe (Libbie Hill and Katie Turner are very good)
6. Hot Springs ( 3 good guards, and super athletic)
7. Sylvan Hills ( people sleeping on this team. good last year and didn't lose anyone with the Canady and Bell girl)
8. Farmington (higher once Vanzant gets healthy and back on the floor)
9. Clarksville (Sr. heavy and caught the injury bug last year)
10. Vilonia (really talented shooters as a young core and some talented seniors and Coach Riley)
Best PG in 5a?  Who?

BigLion10

The young one who is getting all the offers and looks probably forgot her name

redsport27

Quote from: BigLion10 on November 13, 2017, 03:30:56 pm
The young one who is getting all the offers and looks probably forgot her name
Quote from: Neckred on November 13, 2017, 03:14:53 pm
Best PG in 5a?  Who?
Jaylen McGowan. I haven't seen her play but I hear she's got talent.

coachzo

Quote from: BirdCall on November 08, 2017, 09:21:32 pm
Parkview over Mills this year they don't have enough size this year but still are very talented. I just think Parkview may be the best team in the state this year.

I beg to differ. Parkview loss of Caleb Stokes hurts big time. And they still don't have a true Point Guard

BirdCall

Quote from: coachzo on November 14, 2017, 08:23:05 am
I beg to differ. Parkview loss of Caleb Stokes hurts big time. And they still don't have a true Point Guard
Rod Terry or Rob Shelton can handle that situation. Nobody in Arkansas can run and gun with Parkview a whole game. Mills didn't beat Jacksonville easily as they should have plus they don't have size this year to compete in my eyes. Mills is still very talented though and will be at state ready for whoever.

redsport27

November 14, 2017, 07:47:22 pm #16 Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:04:43 pm by redsport27
Does anyone have thoughts on Mills game against Southwest Christian Academy(Texas)?
I don't know where the game was played but Southwest won 81-55 and they had some height on their roster. Was this a waste of time for Mills? Or will it better them going forward?

BirdCall

The game was close for the most part then the height and size just got to be too much for mills. Last years team could have took them on fine but this team is too small.

zebrafan

Quote from: coachzo on November 14, 2017, 08:23:05 am
What happened to Stokes?

K9

Mills looked pretty good for the first half but they are rebuilding as well. I believe they have a good chance of repeating or at least getting to the finals once their guards adjust to playing together and their big men are healthy. From what I understand Kaven Jones is out for a few weeks but Kevin Cross is making a difference in the post position. I do have 2 questions

1. Is SW Christian a prep school?
2. What's the age of their players?

redsport27

Quote from: K9 on November 15, 2017, 04:54:15 am
Mills looked pretty good for the first half but they are rebuilding as well. I believe they have a good chance of repeating or at least getting to the finals once their guards adjust to playing together and their big men are healthy. From what I understand Kaven Jones is out for a few weeks but Kevin Cross is making a difference in the post position. I do have 2 questions

1. Is SW Christian a prep school?
2. What's the age of their players?
Yes, I'm pretty sure SW Christian is a prep school. They have nine seniors, two juniors and one sophomore per maxpreps. I found out that they are actually from Little Rock but they play in a conference in Texas. I wonder why.

croboostbusted

Quote from: redsport27 on November 13, 2017, 03:56:17 pm
Jaylen McGowan. I haven't seen her play but I hear she's got talent.

Reagan Bradley. Class of 19' just got an offer from Kansas St. The last game I saw her play in she scored 38 against Beebe. Then they just got a freshman with an offer from Mich. St.

From what I've seen Reagan Bradley is the real deal and looks strong.

croboostbusted

Quote from: Neckred on November 13, 2017, 03:14:53 pm
Best PG in 5a?  Who?

Replied to wrong one earlier. Sorry not good at internet.
Reagan Bradley. Class of 19' just got an offer from Kansas St. The last game I saw her play in she scored 38 against Beebe. Then they just got a freshman with an offer from Mich. St.

redsport27

Quote from: croboostbusted on November 15, 2017, 11:37:28 am

Okay I'm thinking of someone else.

PapaHog

Nettleton has been VERY impressive so far. I know that little PG can play. Got to see them a couple times last year. They should be near the top of everyone's list.

NEA Razorback olfan

Brookland 51
Nettleton 41
F

Grond

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on November 21, 2017, 09:18:45 pm
Brookland 51
Nettleton 41
F

Game was probably at Brookland, and Nettleton was overwhelmed by the new gym..... :P  :P  :P

Bbal789

Nettleton still could surprise a lot of teams this year. They knocked of Springdale Har-ber, Baptist Prep, and Marion in one tournament. Brookland has a very good team that will contend for the 4a state championship.

Rocket23

LRCA boys will make some noise post-season in 5A I think.  They just got three starters back from football in Hill, Chappel, and Hightower.  5A will be competitive again this year.

Bbal789

November 25, 2017, 03:49:54 pm #29 Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 07:57:25 pm by Bbal789
Quote from: Rocket23 on November 25, 2017, 02:05:02 pm
LRCA boys will make some noise post-season in 5A I think.  They just got three starters back from football in Hill, Chappel, and Hightower.  5A will be competitive again this year.

Yes I agree, With Justice Hill at point and Kalin Bennet down low they should be able to compete for state. Cortez Finley, Willie Chappel, Luke Grawer, and Will Strickland will all contribute a lot

cannon

Quote from: Bbal789 on November 25, 2017, 11:04:53 am
Nettleton still could surprise a lot of teams this year. They knocked of Springdale Har-ber, Baptist Prep, and Marion in one tournament. Brookland has a very good team that will contend for the 4a state championship.

Nettleton's still playing FB. At least 2 of their starting lineup haven't taken the court.

Bbal789

November 25, 2017, 09:39:27 pm #31 Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 11:14:19 pm by Bbal789
Mills beat Parkview 64-55. Ethan Henderson had 29 points 14 rebounds CJ White 10 points 6 rebounds Allen Flanigan 9 points. For Mills Patrick Greene 18 points Kevin Cross 14 points Branton Mccrary 13 points
Grehlon Easter 11 points

K9

That was an exciting game Mills played defeating Parkview on Parkview's home floor. I still say even without the size inside Mills is by far the best team in the 5a. Although Parkview has a strong core of returning seniors their guards are no match for Mills guard Branton McCrary, Grehlon Easter, Patrick Greene, and Madison Peaster

NEA Razorback olfan

Girls 12/9
Gerald Jennings tourney
Batesville 70
Riverside 77
F

Taylor Griffin for Batesville 36pts

Neckred

Watson Chapel girls are not as good as they have been. 

croboostbusted

Quote from: Neckred on December 11, 2017, 12:54:37 pm

They aren't, but I watched them the other night and they shot the LIGHTS OUT. Holy cow they played well the other night

redsport27

Quote from: croboostbusted on December 13, 2017, 08:52:13 am
They aren't, but I watched them the other night and they shot the LIGHTS OUT. Holy cow they played well the other night
Quote from: Neckred on December 11, 2017, 12:54:37 pm
I thought they did well against Little Rock Christian. I doubted them at the beginning of the game but they pulled through and finished strong. I see them making a big run in state once again even though they aren't as strong this year.

Neckred

How good is the Mayberry girl?

Sports24/7

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on December 10, 2017, 03:11:36 pm
Girls 12/9
Gerald Jennings tourney
Batesville 70
Riverside 77
F

Taylor Griffin for Batesville 36pts

Must have been a good game. Riverside seems to have a legit team this year that should make a run at their State Title. How good does Batesville look this year? I know with the one girl putting up 36, I'm curious. I know they are 5A so how will they fair in their classification?

Neckred

Quote from: Sports24/7 on December 14, 2017, 09:20:26 am
Must have been a good game. Riverside seems to have a legit team this year that should make a run at their State Title. How good does Batesville look this year? I know with the one girl putting up 36, I'm curious. I know they are 5A so how will they fair in their classification?
Probably between 5-10 in the state in 5A

iRebound

Is the girl from Batesville a Senior? They drop to 4a next year.

Neckred

Quote from: iRebound on December 14, 2017, 12:17:58 pm
Is the girl from Batesville a Senior? They drop to 4a next year.
I think she is a junior.  Some very good girls teams dropping to 4A next year and most have all starters coming back. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas