• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorback Women's Basketball

Started by Coach Venny Slocombe, November 04, 2016, 08:00:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: bleudog on November 05, 2016, 10:29:23 pm
I never saw the Chancellor's statement.  The Coach is the one who crawfished.  He went from a very passionate video on Veteran's Day of 2015 that clearly indicated his expectations of his players, to a statement that these young women pretty much have carte blanche to express political beliefs while on the University's time.  My guess is he was following his boss's suggestion on how the incident should be handled.

I agree with you that the players have the right to express their political opinions.  I disagree that their doing so while they are involved in a game was exemplary behavior and meet the expectations of their teammates, coaches, the University, and the public at large.

When is the next game?

I believe it's a 10:00 AM game on Veterans Day, interesting, huh?

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: RyanLR on November 04, 2016, 06:42:23 pm
So are you telling me that employers are going to not hire people based on taking a knee?

There's like 12 people at their games. The fans don't support Women's Basketball. Nobody ever hears about them or talks about them until something like this happens. Which is more offensive taking the knee or a hard flagrant foul? To me it's the flagrant.

I got kicked out of class MULTIPLE times for refusing to sing the national anthem, I would use the original Pledge of Allegiance without the "under God". You telling me that's why I can't get a job now? Now it all makes sense.
i would never go watch them now.more offensive to me taking the knee

bleudog

Quote from: ricepig on November 05, 2016, 10:41:55 pm
I believe it's a 10:00 AM game on Veterans Day, interesting, huh?

Very much so.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on November 05, 2016, 10:40:40 pm
Oh, Ok, glad you straightened that out, lol.
Lol...not my fault that Dykes and Long have no back bone and will not even hold up the UofA code of ethics...other coaches across the country are...sorry you don't get it Rice, maybe one day you will...but I doubt you do...you are too hard headed, and too much of a Jeff Long supporter...

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 05, 2016, 10:50:56 pm
Lol...not my fault that Dykes and Long have no back bone and will not even hold up the UofA code of ethics...other coaches across the country are...sorry you don't get it Rice, maybe one day you will...but I doubt you do...you are too hard headed, and too much of a Jeff Long supporter...

When veterans in my family tell me that these players have the right to do as they wish during the anthem, then I take their word on it. They are the ones that sacrificed in my family for these rights. I'm not in a position to tell others what they can or can't do, I didn't serve, did you? I may not like it, but I understand they have the right to do it.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: nastynice on November 05, 2016, 07:39:34 am
Not the point we're trying to make. We're not arguing about the constitution, we're arguing about right vs wrong and common sense. You don't create unity by make making more division. Anyone with any sense knows you don't solve a problem by creating bigger problems. It will never end because those that supposedly feel oppressed don't want it to end.
You have to want to solve a problem to get it solved.
+1

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on November 05, 2016, 11:09:48 pm
When veterans in my family tell me that these players have the right to do as they wish during the anthem, then I take their word on it. They are the ones that sacrificed in my family for these rights. I'm not in a position to tell others what they can or can't do, I didn't serve, did you? I may not like it, but I understand they have the right to do it.
Oh, I see now, your family members told you...well that settles it...problem solved...I did not serve, have family members in the service and my Dad served...and no, they thought it was wrong and disgusting...and regardless there is a code of ethics, I printed it for you as you requested and like I said before I did you would dispute it...We just need to agree to disagree because I think I am right and you think you are right...but I have alot more believe the way I do than you...haha...

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 05, 2016, 11:18:27 pm
Oh, I see now, your family members told you...well that settles it...problem solved...I did not serve, have family members in the service and my Dad served...and no, they thought it was wrong and disgusting...and regardless there is a code of ethics, I printed it for you as you requested and like I said before I did you would dispute it...We just need to agree to disagree because I think I am right and you think you are right...but I have alot more believe the way I do than you...haha...

And, there is no one in the administration of this school saying this code was violated, correct? I suspect it won't happen again, but who knows???

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 05, 2016, 11:18:27 pm
one here believe's the way you do that's for sure

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on November 05, 2016, 11:25:44 pm
And, there is no one in the administration of this school saying this code was violated, correct? I suspect it won't happen again, but who knows???
Exactly...and there lies the problem...lol...

bleudog

I wouldn't think this would be considered a scientific poll in any way, but over 64,000 of the public at large have expressed an opinion.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: bleudog on November 05, 2016, 11:53:07 pm
I wouldn't think this would be considered a scientific poll in any way, but over 64,000 of the public at large have expressed an opinion.

+1 Bleudog, people can believe what they want. Women's basketball was struggling to get fans and really struggling at the gate...this IS NOT and CANNOT help their cause...and it will be felt...now MA on the other hand helped his cause...Kudos to him and the team...
Regardless of what a very few say Long and Dykes have an avenue to head this off and if they don't, then they care very little about the fans...
I am interested to see what happens at the next home game...

NEA Razorback olfan

My question is , what are these young women actually going to do to make a real change??
Imo
Unfortunately we let msm media dictate our mindset with their propaganda agenda!!

ricepig

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on November 06, 2016, 09:38:16 am
My question is , what are these young women actually going to do to make a real change??
Imo
Unfortunately we let msm media dictate our mindset with their propaganda agenda!!

I would imagine nothing of substance.

bleudog

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: bleudog on November 06, 2016, 04:44:07 pm
http://amppob.com/shell-take-knee-come-time-razorbacks-coachs-raise-state-rep-vows/
Seems like everyone gets it but Long and Dykes and a handful of other people. I have said all along that Long and Dykes have avenues they can take to stop this...heck, other Universities are. As usual the UofA is lagging behind in this as well as everything else...Bye Jeff...Bye Jimmy...nobody cares anyway...

Head Lion

November 06, 2016, 05:07:46 pm #116 Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 05:47:09 pm by Head Lion
Quote from: kahnny on November 04, 2016, 06:20:55 pm
There's a lot to digest here on a lot of levels.

I personally don't agree with university scholar-athletes making a statement during the national anthem.
What I agree with and disagree with has seldom mattered, but as a born and bred Arkansan, a UA alum and a tax-paying resident, I'm a little embarrassed that this happened here.

There are a couple of points to make, though, and I hope they are not repetitive.

The six girls who kneeled and Ms. Swenson, who expressed support but chose to honor a fallen relative by standing, are listed as sophomores (three) and freshmen (four).
I find it interesting that all three seniors and the lone junior are not listed in the kneeling column.

Don't know what this says, necessarily, but it does lead me to a big question about leadership.
Is the coach letting the tail wag the dog? I think so, absolutely. This is a team game. When you take the floor wearing a uniform, you are taught, trained, expected to do things together.
This is not a unified event. I would suggest that if the coach stands behind his players 100 percent that he might ought to kneel, too.

I think he is either not fully supportive by not kneeling or hypocritical by kneeling.
He can't win. And this is not a subject to be playing the middle.
In short, there is no middle. It's a must, in my humble opinion, to represent your team as a unit and to represent your university and this state in the best light possible.

To kneel while wearing uniforms that say ARKANSAS and RAZORBACKS makes this reprehensible. And the coach himself once wore that uniform.
Does he really believe he is leading these girls in the right direction? Is there not any other way to call attention to their views?

They've called attention to themselves and their reason for protest is totally forgotten by many of us.

I feel bad that I feel this way. I can't fix what's wrong, but I feel somewhat condemned by this group of girls who are walking the same grounds I walked before them.
Is that what these girls meant to do? Hurt our feelings because it is in our very being to want to stand up and give our country two minutes of acknowledgement before a game?

I don't want anybody's head for this or anything like that. I just don't want this attention on us.

I couldn't put it into words how I felt until I read this. This sums it up well:

Whippersnapper says... November 4, 2016 at 8:45 a.m.
Stand, sit, kneel, whatever. Simply realize that you will be judged by the choices you make and the actions you take. You want to protest the national anthem? That's fine, as long as you are willing to alienate 2/3 of your fellow countrymen by doing so. You think that this won't close doors of opportunity for you in the future? The internet forgets nothing (just ask Hillary) and every employer you apply at these days is googling your name. You just shut down 1/2-2/3 of your potential future career opportunities as businesses run by conservatives (or just by folks who don't want to risk employees who make waves) dump your resume upon receipt. Let us know how that works out for you in thirty years.

Dykes did these girls a grave disservice by not giving them better leadership with some simple advice: When you step on the field of play, you're a Razorback. Your duty is to represent the Razorbacks and the state of Arkansas to the best of your abilities.
This act to open the season totally missed the mark.
+1, everyone has a first amendment right. I believe you lose those when you represent a state aid college using MY tax dollars, you forfeit some of those rights when representing it. I know as a federal employee and lose some of my rights while at my job. The Hatch Act prevents me from campaigning at work, does that not violate my first amendment. No!

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Head Lion on November 06, 2016, 05:07:46 pm
+1, everyone has a first amendment right. I believe you lose those when you represent a state aid college using MY tax dollars, you forfeit some of those rights when representing it. I know as a federal employee and lose some of my rights while at my job. The Hatch Act prevents me from campaigning at work, does that not violate my first amendment. No!
Wow, +1...that is a very interesting point...well done sir!

BrianfromCarlisle

My problem with the protest is this: (just my opinion of course)

The protest is supposedly against the Government for turning a blind eye to police brutality and equality toward minorities. Well, that Flag represents the PEOPLE of the United States, and the men and women that DIED for all of our freedoms. Not the government.

bleudog

November 06, 2016, 07:03:37 pm #119 Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 07:14:33 pm by bleudog
Quote from: Head Lion on November 06, 2016, 05:07:46 pm

I grew up in a household where the political activities of my father were limited by the Hatch Act.  Most of the time he loved it because it gave him a polite way to decline to put somebody's sign in his yard when somebody he didn't plan on voting for asked him to display one.  ;D

Even without the Hatch Act, most employers (including the U of A) limit the political activity of its employees. 

My employer has casual Friday.  We're allowed and even encouraged to support schools and their athletic teams by wearing shirts with school logos. 

But there are limits to casual Friday.  If I were to come to work wearing a "Vote for Hillary" or "Vote for Trump" or "Vote Yes on Amendment _" or "Black Lives Matter" or "White Lives Matter" or ANYTHING political, my supervisor would instruct me to go back home and change my shirt.  If I insisted I had a constitutional right to wear a political shirt to work and refused to honor my supervisor's instructions, my office would soon cease to be my office.  I have no problem with this because I understand I at times represent my employer and we both have a vested interest in my employer's success.

What is any school teaching student-athletes when the school encourages student-athletes to conduct themselves in a manner that could get those student-athletes reprimanded, if not terminated, in the real world (the NFL excepted)?

bdubyab60

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on November 06, 2016, 05:56:40 pm
My problem with the protest is this: (just my opinion of course)

The protest is supposedly against the Government for turning a blind eye to police brutality and equality toward minorities. Well, that Flag represents the PEOPLE of the United States, and the men and women that DIED for all of our freedoms. Not the government.
This right here.

Romeo

Quote from: bleudog on November 04, 2016, 06:31:30 pm
That video done 11/11/15 was impressive.
His statement on 11/03/16 was not.
What happened that caused the 180? 

I don't think he changed his stance on the national anthem. I don't believe it was a decision he took lightly. As he said, he had several conversations with the players before this happened. Unlike most fans, I follow the women's team and I know that the players that kneeled were talking on social media about various incidents before Kolin Kaepernick chose to kneel. This was something that was fueled up for months.

Overall, I wouldn't wanted to have traded shoes with JD this week. He really had a lot to consider. It was a lose-lose situation regardless, but I think it would have done more harm to the university if he had chosen to suspend or dismiss the players. As far as I know, no one on the college or pro level has yet to be actually punished by their team for kneeling, not even Kaepernick. He disagrees with their method but supports their decision, its a local news incident where you have fans outraged. He disagrees and kicks them off the team, now its a national incident where you'll probably have every news outlet covering it. And you know what the headline is going to say... "Six black players dismissed from the team for kneeling during anthem." That would be a situation that wouldn't just affect the women's program, but the other programs as well, especially in recruiting.

beach bum

Quote from: Romeo on November 07, 2016, 02:05:29 pm
I don't think he changed his stance on the national anthem. I don't believe it was a decision he took lightly. As he said, he had several conversations with the players before this happened. Unlike most fans, I follow the women's team and I know that the players that kneeled were talking on social media about various incidents before Kolin Kaepernick chose to kneel. This was something that was fueled up for months.

Overall, I wouldn't wanted to have traded shoes with JD this week. He really had a lot to consider. It was a lose-lose situation regardless, but I think it would have done more harm to the university if he had chosen to suspend or dismiss the players. As far as I know, no one on the college or pro level has yet to be actually punished by their team for kneeling, not even Kaepernick. He disagrees with their method but supports their decision, its a local news incident where you have fans outraged. He disagrees and kicks them off the team, now its a national incident where you'll probably have every news outlet covering it. And you know what the headline is going to say... "Six black players dismissed from the team for kneeling during anthem." That would be a situation that wouldn't just affect the women's program, but the other programs as well, especially in recruiting.

+1 on this side of the argument.... Your second paragraph really touched on how ugly it could have gotten nationally had we been the first major university or pro level team to kick people off or suspend them. This just really is a delicate issue. The thing is that it will all blow over eventually. It will cycle away just like other issues cycle away. I wouldn't want to be Long either as it's a lose/lose situation definitely.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Romeo

The athletic programs don't take any state funds. The only people they'll be hurting are the UA students.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Read the article...it is a move to get someone from the UofA to respond and talk to the Legislature about what happened. I like the fact that they are holding the Admin. accountable...maybe this will get their attention. Somebody needs to...

Coach Venny Slocombe

Also Scott Varady said that they have received multiple calls from donors and one has already left...

Nice move by our leaders at the UofA...but the problem is easily solved...Fire Dykes and Fire Long...that should get some attention... ;D

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 09, 2016, 12:09:13 pm
Also Scott Varady said that they have received multiple calls from donors and one has already left...

Nice move by our leaders at the UofA...but the problem is easily solved...Fire Dykes and Fire Long...that should get some attention... ;D

Yeah, Maynard G Krebs already said he was the caller, lol.

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 09, 2016, 12:06:09 pm
Read the article...it is a move to get someone from the UofA to respond and talk to the Legislature about what happened. I like the fact that they are holding the Admin. accountable...maybe this will get their attention. Somebody needs to...

I read the article yesterday, it won't amount to anything.

WPWells

Jimmy Dykes: "My players will no longer kneel for the national anthem."

cuckoobird

Who's the coach?? Dykes or the players?

AirWarren

Quote from: cuckoobird on November 09, 2016, 04:43:24 pm
Who's the coach?? Dykes or the players?

The players are down that Queen liberal and the rest of the liberal cronies went down in flames last night.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on November 09, 2016, 12:56:42 pm
I read the article yesterday, it won't amount to anything.
Hmmmmm...looks like it already has...lol...Like I said all along...Dykes and Long had the avenue...and the donors have made it clear they better use that avenue...Well done UofA donors! ;)

cuckoobird

I thought rice had the inside scoop

beach bum

Quote from: cuckoobird on November 09, 2016, 09:31:35 pm
I thought rice had the inside scoop

I was under the impression he was one of those big donors we are talking about....

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: ricepig on November 09, 2016, 12:54:37 pm
Yeah, Maynard G Krebs already said he was the caller, lol.

My level of influence surprises even me😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

ricepig

Quote from: beach bum on November 09, 2016, 09:45:11 pm
I was under the impression he was one of those big donors we are talking about....

And I don't think you've seen me state anything about withholding any support. I divide my donation amongst the football, basketball, and baseball programs, though.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on November 10, 2016, 07:42:34 am

And I don't think you've seen me state anything about withholding any support. I divide my donation amongst the football, basketball, and baseball programs, though.
Just the men's programs? If so...in the words of Gomer Pyle...Citizens arrest, Citizens arrest...Title IX, Title IX...lol...

Coach Venny Slocombe

So, I am not a big Razorback insider by any stretch of the imagination...not even close. Two years ago a friend of mine was hired to be a staff member in the athletic department...and here is what she told me Monday...

Long and Dykes were feeling the pressure of the donors, neither really cared about all the calls and emails from fans complaining (imagine that). But a pretty large donor (she did not know at the time who it was) made a call directly to Long and said if this is not fixed pretty quickly all of their funding would cease to exist. This has later been confirmed by the UofA and was reported on several TV stations. A letter was written and this new avenue for the girls "Dream on the Hill" was brought up. Then Dykes had a presser along with two of the girls that was written for them to smooth this over. They were told NOT to kneel anymore, but the presser made it out to be the girls choice.

Just what I was told...may or may not be accurate...

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 10, 2016, 08:28:41 am
Just the men's programs? If so...in the words of Gomer Pyle...Citizens arrest, Citizens arrest...Title IX, Title IX...lol...

Yep, there's no need to get better seat locations for the women's team, lol. I've never been to a game, I hate women's basketball, too slow for me. Now, I like volleyball, high school or college, fast action.

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 10, 2016, 08:43:55 am
So, I am not a big Razorback insider by any stretch of the imagination...not even close. Two years ago a friend of mine was hired to be a staff member in the athletic department...and here is what she told me Monday...

Long and Dykes were feeling the pressure of the donors, neither really cared about all the calls and emails from fans complaining (imagine that). But a pretty large donor (she did not know at the time who it was) made a call directly to Long and said if this is not fixed pretty quickly all of their funding would cease to exist. This has later been confirmed by the UofA and was reported on several TV stations. A letter was written and this new avenue for the girls "Dream on the Hill" was brought up. Then Dykes had a presser along with two of the girls that was written for them to smooth this over. They were told NOT to kneel anymore, but the presser made it out to be the girls choice.

Just what I was told...may or may not be accurate...

So, you're saying it wasn't Maynard??? I could give you three names it was, more than likely started with a "B".

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on November 10, 2016, 09:51:17 am
Yep, there's no need to get better seat locations for the women's team, lol. I've never been to a game, I hate women's basketball, too slow for me. Now, I like volleyball, high school or college, fast action.
lol...I have to agree with that!

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on November 10, 2016, 09:54:02 am
So, you're saying it wasn't Maynard??? I could give you three names it was, more than likely started with a "B".
I honestly have no clue...but if it was Maynard, we need to have lunch someday...

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 10, 2016, 10:31:01 am
I honestly have no clue...but if it was Maynard, we need to have lunch someday...

you'll have to buy

Coach Venny Slocombe

Coach Venny Slocombe

nastynice

Got a relative fairly high up on the food chain on the hill. Although he deals mainly with football and baseball, he deals to some degree with all the sports. He said there were several big donors throwing a fit and the feces was about to hit the fan if JD didn't find a quick solution. Very tense and a lot of finger pointing for a few days!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas