• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Old school hip hop

Started by Cool Lids, July 21, 2015, 06:08:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cool Lids

Breitontime

Indeed.

On that note. Looking forward to Straight Outta Compton.

Cool Lids

Ya. Looks tight as heck.

Imma hit up that Rakim concert in Tulsa end of the month. Doesn't seem like Fayetteville area gets anything any good but I only been here a month.

Breitontime

Group called Cadillac Jackson out of Fay that is pretty good live. I've seen them a couple times at Midtown in LR.

AirWarren

July 22, 2015, 07:53:02 am #4 Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 08:03:25 am by AirWarren
The rap played these days, I call it sesame street rap. Same tune, same beat, same annoying voices that resemble two chickens biting each other.

Greatest rap cd of all time may possibly be Chronic 2001 by Dr. Dre. The early works of the cash money millionaires, No Limit Records, and Three Six Mafia. The Houston Texas rap tried to hit it big but fizzled out. UGK was good.

When the greatest rapper in history is claimed by a guy named Kanye west, then something is wrong here. Throw jay z into that as well. Never cared for his stuff.

Romeo

Run DMC, Eric B. and Rakim, Public Enemy, Boogie Down Productions, A Tribe Called Quest were some of the best of the golden age. I think 1994 was the best year of hip hop music.

AirWarren

Quote from: Romeo on July 22, 2015, 01:37:31 pm
Run DMC, Eric B. and Rakim, Public Enemy, Boogie Down Productions, A Tribe Called Quest were some of the best of the golden age. I think 1994 was the best year of hip hop music.

I dunno man. 1999-2001 will rival 1994 easily!

Romeo

I would say 1994 by a small margin. Some of the best hip hop albums of all time and best artists debuted in that one year. Notorious B.I.G, Outkast, and Nas all debuted that year. Of course 1999 had Chronic 2001, Slim Shady LP, and Things Fall Apart by The Roots.

AirWarren

Biggie and the Bad Boy crew blew up during the 1994-1997 time frame as well. So yeah, you make some points. I've never been a Nas fan. You could probably throw Wu Tang Klan into that mid 90s hip hop group too.

Cool Lids

If it come out since 97, I probably can't comment. I stick to the classics. More like Big Daddy Kane, KRS-One, et cetera. Gang Starr is about as new as I get.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: AirWarren on July 22, 2015, 02:51:40 pm
You could probably throw Wu Tang Klan into that mid 90s hip hop group too.

Even their crossover stuff killed it.  Tom Morello, anyone?

Cool Lids

heck ya. Love Rage. You into metal Uncle Ivan? Rage is what got me into the harder stuff. De la Rocha could kill on the mic so I started liking it for the rap then eventually got the guitars and then eventually got into mostly guitars and so on. Now the only new stuff I listen to is hard stuff. I'm talking harder than Rage but I'm still old hip hop at heart.

AirWarren

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on July 22, 2015, 09:03:58 pm
Quote from: AirWarren on July 22, 2015, 02:51:40 pm
You could probably throw Wu Tang Klan into that mid 90s hip hop group too.

Even their crossover stuff killed it.  Tom Morello, anyone?

Morello. Awesome.

Lids, my metal began with KoRn and Slipknot.

Uncle Ivan

July 22, 2015, 09:43:29 pm #13 Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 09:46:04 pm by Uncle Ivan
Quote from: Cool Lids on July 22, 2015, 09:20:33 pm
heck ya. Love Rage. You into metal Uncle Ivan?

Definitely.  RATM is a definite gateway., along with Motorhead.  Still a big Lemmy fan.  I was overboard for a couple of years, got into the death metal stuff, ala Cannibal Corpse, Slayer, etc.

Anyway, this is the crossover I was referring to.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zhIHcfUoOSI

Cool Lids

I hear that. I started with Pantera and grew from there. Ebolin got me into them when we was littler. I don't do much of the death metal. I don't mind it but it's not my favorite. I was way into Candiria when I was younger too with a black singer and all that. Still think Bad Brains is one of the best ever.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: AirWarren on July 22, 2015, 07:53:02 amWhen the greatest rapper in history is claimed by a guy named Kanye west, then something is wrong here. Throw jay z into that as well. Never cared for his stuff.

Bless their hearts.

Romeo

Quote from: AirWarren on July 22, 2015, 07:53:02 am

When the greatest rapper in history is claimed by a guy named Kanye west, then something is wrong here. Throw jay z into that as well. Never cared for his stuff.

AW, this was one of the best collaborations though:

Cool Lids

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on July 22, 2015, 11:25:00 pm
Quote from: AirWarren on July 22, 2015, 07:53:02 amWhen the greatest rapper in history is claimed by a guy named Kanye west, then something is wrong here. Throw jay z into that as well. Never cared for his stuff.

Bless their hearts.

That song cheesy as heck. Fun when I was in sixth grade tho.

Cool Lids

Quote from: Romeo on July 22, 2015, 11:39:13 pm

Thas good but I never got behind Linkin Park. All their stuff sounded the same to me.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Cool Lids on July 23, 2015, 09:36:30 am

Bless their hearts.

That's what makes it fun.

BrianfromCarlisle

In no particular order:

Tupac
NWA
Eazy E
Ice Cube
Snoop
Run DMC
Slick Rick
Ghetto Boys
UGK
Wu Tang
Public Enemy

Cool Lids

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on July 23, 2015, 01:25:40 pm
Quote from: Cool Lids on July 23, 2015, 09:36:30 am

Bless their hearts.

That's what makes it fun.

For sure

Cool Lids

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on July 23, 2015, 02:30:43 pm
In no particular order:

Tupac
NWA
Eazy E
Ice Cube
Snoop
Run DMC
Slick Rick
Ghetto Boys
UGK
Wu Tang
Public Enemy

My man is dropping Slick Rick! heck ya. Nobody into De la Soul? May be my favorite group instead of solo artist.

AirWarren

Quote from: Romeo on July 22, 2015, 11:39:13 pm

Great cd. It was a fun collab.

nastynice

July 25, 2015, 05:47:14 am #24 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 06:37:10 am by nastynice
BEASTIE BOYS
Tupac
Snoop

KOJACK

Quote from: Cool Lids on July 23, 2015, 05:16:13 pm
Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on July 23, 2015, 02:30:43 pm
In no particular order:

Tupac
NWA
Eazy E
Ice Cube
Snoop
Run DMC
Slick Rick
Ghetto Boys
UGK
Wu Tang
Public Enemy

My man is dropping Slick Rick! heck ya. Nobody into De la Soul? May be my favorite group instead of solo artist.
It's just me myself and I

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas