• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Raheem Appleby

Started by Titan Spirit, December 22, 2011, 08:26:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Titan Spirit

I am thinking Mike Anderson should have dropped someone and offered Appleby...
The young man can play...

bleudog

Baller Fan35

Quote from: Titan Spirit on December 22, 2011, 08:26:37 pm
Raheem was not on the radar because he didnt play for Ron Crawfords so called elite wings team....if you didn't get Crawfords endorsement then you may as well not have existed....Crawford is NOT the end all be all of Arkansas basketball talent...with that said...Raheem has always been a great player but he didn't fit the mold of what they thought a D1 athlete looks like...good for Raheem that he is not a Hog....he may not have gotten the opportunity to standout as he has at LaTech.

Anderson didn't have to drop anyone, because he had Aaron Ross's scholarship available when that didn't work out.  I have nothing against the Hogs, because I am a fan....but I hate the politics of Arkansas high school athletics and just because Crawford doesn't mention a player on Drive Time Radio, doesnt mean they can't compete nor those he does mention, are the best in the state.

neds

Quote from: Baller Fan35 on March 06, 2012, 10:26:07 am
Raheem was not on the radar because he didnt play for Ron Crawfords so called elite wings team....if you didn't get Crawfords endorsement then you may as well not have existed....Crawford is NOT the end all be all of Arkansas basketball talent...with that said...Raheem has always been a great player but he didn't fit the mold of what they thought a D1 athlete looks like...good for Raheem that he is not a Hog....he may not have gotten the opportunity to standout as he has at LaTech.

Anderson didn't have to drop anyone, because he had Aaron Ross's scholarship available when that didn't work out.  I have nothing against the Hogs, because I am a fan....but I hate the politics of Arkansas high school athletics and just because Crawford doesn't mention a player on Drive Time Radio, doesnt mean they can't compete nor those he does mention, are the best in the state.

+1

folks25

March 06, 2012, 05:48:29 pm #4 Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 05:57:30 pm by folks25
Watup,Ballerfan35 Mr. Ron Crawford,is a big joke he have messed over a lot of good players and some of his coaches because his would like to be the coach of his players and some of them he spoke very bad things to college coaches because the players refused to do fundraising for his Elite 17u team. Arkansas was very unhappy after AG left for KU,The Billing Kid that signed with UALR this year a very good Kid played with Goodwin,Jackson four three years  messed over him,the kid  from Faille will not play for him this year,need to let his coach handle the team,oh yes he will black ball his players that do not roll with him mess.Raheem Appleby can light it up and a very good kid,this kid played at Jacksonville 6A East last season did not play with the Elite Arkansas Wings.

bleudog

Baller Fan35

Congrats Rah!!!  Keep doing you.

bleudog

bleudog

Titan Spirit

Shields has missed on some good home town talent the last few years. UALR would be much better and the interest would be much higher.

neds

I believe Steve would have been very happy to have Raheem, but I don't think Raheem wanted to stay here. That is my understanding. Getting Stetson was a good move by the local team.
Raheem made another good impression last night , he played very well and led LA Tech in scoring.

Titan Spirit

Seems like Shields rides the fence a lot. Not sure where  you get your info on Appleby, and I didnt see Stetson in the stat line?

neds

You may be in a position to know more about UALR and Raheem, my understanding is Steve would have liked to have had him stay and play here. Not saying I was involved directly in any way.
Stetson did play last night and had several rebounds, I believe I remember him at the free throw line as well. I believe he will do well @UALR. He does have a very athletic wing in front of him by the name of James White (redshirt freshman from GA), man that fellow has some serious hop.

bleudog

Quote from: Titan Spirit on December 18, 2012, 08:53:26 am
Seems like Shields rides the fence a lot. Not sure where  you get your info on Appleby, and I didnt see Stetson in the stat line?

Box score had Billings with 6 minutes.  Got his 3 points by going 3-4 from the stripe.

neds

LA Tech goes to 16-3 with another win tonight. Raheem continues to lead them in scoring this year, averaging +14 pts per game.

Stetson played well for UALR tonight, trailed 33-19 at the half and won 65-62. Great comeback.

mrcptkirk

Quote from: neds on March 06, 2012, 04:42:16 pm

+1

On the point.

mrcptkirk

You are right, there was a kid that played with the wings a couple summers ago that RC blacked ball.  Coaches was told that he was uncoachable and have behavior problems, got that from a coach on coach MA staff know, this was before coach MA got there. Since then RC and his coaches had wish they had kept this kid, there have been alot of D1 school looking at him. By him being on this blackball has paided off for him. He has become one of the best position 3 in the state, that is a carry over from playing ARH and their coaches.

bleudog

Tech - Utah State game just started on ESPN3.

bleudog

Quote from: bleudog on January 26, 2013, 08:09:44 pm

Appleby hits game winning three: CLICK HERE

neds

Quote from: bleudog on January 27, 2013, 11:09:10 am
Quote from: bleudog on January 26, 2013, 08:09:44 pm

Appleby hits game winning three: CLICK HERE

Way cool. Great for him, he is a true leader for them

InTheMix

I actually am a product of Ron Crawford and his Wings program. I want to state that before I state my opinion. While I do think that Crawford does have a tremendous amount of pull not only on Arkansas basketball but Nationwide (Treasure of AAU Basketball) I don't think it is fair to say he is "bad" for Arkansas basketball. Crawford has no power over Mike Anderson and his recruiting nor the players that plays with him. From my dealings with Crawford he is out to help the kids first. As it pertains to Appleby I think it hurt him not playing summer ball for ANY team not just the Wings. The Hawks often produce a quality summer team as well as many Memphis programs come across the lines to pick up talent. Appleby is a great player but he just flew under the radar. Mike Anderson needs to do better recruiting instate talent that is true but I don't think he should be only talking to Ron Crawford on those affairs. Anderson also looks to have missed out on IJ Ready Anton Beard and Dayshawn Watkins arguably the 3 best guards in the state along with Kevaughn Allen. Watkins played on the Wings Elite Team that won the National Championship this summer so that isn't a legitimate argument.

neds

January 29, 2013, 06:25:13 pm #21 Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 09:07:45 pm by neds
Quote from: InTheMix on January 29, 2013, 02:55:29 pm
I actually am a product of Ron Crawford and his Wings program. I want to state that before I state my opinion. While I do think that Crawford does have a tremendous amount of pull not only on Arkansas basketball but Nationwide (Treasure of AAU Basketball) I don't think it is fair to say he is "bad" for Arkansas basketball. Crawford has no power over Mike Anderson and his recruiting nor the players that plays with him. From my dealings with Crawford he is out to help the kids first. As it pertains to Appleby I think it hurt him not playing summer ball for ANY team not just the Wings. The Hawks often produce a quality summer team as well as many Memphis programs come across the lines to pick up talent. Appleby is a great player but he just flew under the radar. Mike Anderson needs to do better recruiting instate talent that is true but I don't think he should be only talking to Ron Crawford on those affairs. Anderson also looks to have missed out on IJ Ready Anton Beard and Dayshawn Watkins arguably the 3 best guards in the state along with Kevaughn Allen. Watkins played on the Wings Elite Team that won the National Championship this summer so that isn't a legitimate argument.

You make some good points , true Raheem put himself in a more challenging situation with his summer B'ball decision as almost all of the recruiting is being done on the summer circuit.
Overall I would agree that Crawford is a plus for high school b'ball in Arkansas. My issue with him is the bias and hype he employs. He pushes his guys and rarely talks about the good players who play outside the Wings system. His hype is near comical. I remember him stating that Madden was a 'one and done' player coming out of EPC. That statement is laughable , but that is what Crawford does. He touts his guys. Good for them, not so good for the kids outside his program. You named a few that are current and he doesn't have much to say about them.

Basketball

Quote from: neds on January 29, 2013, 06:25:13 pm
Quote from: InTheMix on January 29, 2013, 02:55:29 pm
I actually am a product of Ron Crawford and his Wings program. I want to state that before I state my opinion. While I do think that Crawford does have a tremendous amount of pull not only on Arkansas basketball but Nationwide (Treasure of AAU Basketball) I don't think it is fair to say he is "bad" for Arkansas basketball. Crawford has no power over Mike Anderson and his recruiting nor the players that plays with him. From my dealings with Crawford he is out to help the kids first. As it pertains to Appleby I think it hurt him not playing summer ball for ANY team not just the Wings. The Hawks often produce a quality summer team as well as many Memphis programs come across the lines to pick up talent. Appleby is a great player but he just flew under the radar. Mike Anderson needs to do better recruiting instate talent that is true but I don't think he should be only talking to
Ron Crawford on those affairs. Anderson also looks to have missed out on IJ Ready Anton Beard and Dayshawn Watkins arguably the 3 best guards in the state along with Kevaughn Allen. Watkins played on the Wings Elite Team that won the National Championship this summer so that isn't a legitimate argument.

You make some good points , true Raheem put himself in a more challenging situation with his summer B'ball decision as almost all of the recruiting is being done on the summer circuit.

Overall I would agree that Crawford is a plus for high school b'ball is Arkansas. My issue with him is the bias and hype he employs. He pushes his guys and rarely talks about the good players who play outside the Wings system. His hype is near comical. I remember him stating that Madden was a 'one and done' player coming out of EPC. That statement is near laughable , but that is what Crawford does. He touts his guys. Good for them, not so good for the kids outside his program. You named a few that are current and he doesn't have much to say about them.

Crawford is just a rich wanna b coach.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Pretty much, if you dont play on his team, you dont exist in arkansas. I have a story of a player that fits this, but i won't go into that. 

mrcptkirk

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on January 30, 2013, 11:14:19 am
Pretty much, if you dont play on his team, you dont exist in arkansas. I have a story of a player that fits this, but i won't go into that.

I have one too.

GrizzlyBaseball

If major college basketball coaches allow some goober from Arkansas to drive their recruiting decisions they deserve what they get.  That said, I don't believe most of them are driven by AAU coaches. They are a tool to be used.  A means to an end.  In fact, I can sort of envision these real coaches getting together every so often and laughing hysterically at guys like Crawford.

mrcptkirk

Quote from: GrizzlyBaseball on January 30, 2013, 01:45:49 pm
If major college basketball coaches allow some goober from Arkansas to drive their recruiting decisions they deserve what they get.  That said, I don't believe most of them are driven by AAU coaches. They are a tool to be used.  A means to an end.  In fact, I can sort of envision these real coaches getting together every so often and laughing hysterically at guys like Crawford.

I guess that why you dont hear of to many player from the wings playing out of state.

neds

Just to be clear on my opinion/point . . . I think the Wings are a fine organization and their success is good for Arkansas, really.
My issue is how Crawford hypes the kids in the Wings program and nearly ignores those that do not play in 'his program'.
As a person who represents himself as the ambassador of amateur basketball in Arkansas that is a misrepresentation and he loses credibility in my mind. The fact that in the last five years his team (17U group) has only played in The Real Deal one time is a joke. Mix I am going to attempt to read your mind rt now and U may say that his team plays in the Nike league and this is a conflict, not factual. The Memphis Y who won the tournament two years ago and this years winner were both Nike league teams.
I attribute his decision not to play in this tournament to two reasons; one he doesn't want his team to be embarrassed like they were the one time they played (they had a losing record in the Real Deal that year) and two although it is a home town tournament and one of the best in the U.S. the fact is he doesn't control it , this is Bill Ingram's baby and that is a problem for Ron's ego.
Just some facts . .

Sorry Raheem , we got off topic a bit.

bleudog

January 30, 2013, 07:33:32 pm #28 Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 07:59:15 pm by bleudog
Back on topic  ;)

CLICK HERE

Baller Fan35

Quote from: neds on January 30, 2013, 07:01:26 pm
Just to be clear on my opinion/point . . . I think the Wings are a fine organization and their success is good for Arkansas, really.
My issue is how Crawford hypes the kids in the Wings program and nearly ignores those that do not play in 'his program'.
As a person who represents himself as the ambassador of amateur basketball in Arkansas that is a misrepresentation and he loses credibility in my mind. The fact that in the last five years his team (17U group) has only played in The Real Deal one time is a joke. Mix I am going to attempt to read your mind rt now and U may say that his team plays in the Nike league and this is a conflict, not factual. The Memphis Y who won the tournament two years ago and this years winner were both Nike league teams.
I attribute his decision not to play in this tournament to two reasons; one he doesn't want his team to be embarrassed like they were the one time they played (they had a losing record in the Real Deal that year) and two although it is a home town tournament and one of the best in the U.S. the fact is he doesn't control it , this is Bill Ingram's baby and that is a problem for Ron's ego.
Just some facts . .

Sorry Raheem , we got off topic a bit.
+1

neds

Quote from: bleudog on January 30, 2013, 07:33:32 pm
Back on topic  ;)

CLICK HERE

Very nice piece, a maturing young man. I am a believer in 'things work out for a reason' and he seems to be in a real good place at LA Tech. Glad is has worked out so well for him.
Thanks for sharing

mrcptkirk

January 30, 2013, 09:33:50 pm #31 Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 09:38:04 pm by mrcptkirk

bleudog

Quote from: neds on January 30, 2013, 08:24:30 pm
Quote from: bleudog on January 30, 2013, 07:33:32 pm
Back on topic  ;)

CLICK HERE

Very nice piece, a maturing young man. I am a believer in 'things work out for a reason' and he seems to be in a real good place at LA Tech. Glad is has worked out so well for him.
Thanks for sharing

You're welcome.  Here's a little more video you might like.  Not a lot of Appleby, but a good view of some post game behind the scenes.

RA had a good game last night.  Got banged up toward the end of the game but hopefully it won't slow him down.

CLICK HERE

bleudog

InTheMix

It is human nature to help the people closest to you. Crawford pushes his kids because he sees them every day. Crawford is a Coach not a scout. His job is to help his kids first. The Hawks have a fine program and send many kids to college as well. AAU is designed to get kids exposure. Crawford works as hard as he can to get his Kids exposure. If you aren't one of his Kids then you should probably be upset with whoever is handling your recruiting process and not Crawford for using his resources. To respond to the Ky Madden 1and Done response. It is easy to look back in retro spec and say that was crazy now but at the time Madden was a Mcdonalds all american and the #3 PG in the country so to expect him to go pro wasn't a reach. Madden has simply struggled to progress and develop his game.

bleudog

February 08, 2013, 02:30:02 pm #35 Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 02:35:41 pm by bleudog
Quote from: InTheMix on February 08, 2013, 12:22:15 pm
......... To respond to the Ky Madden 1and Done response. It is easy to look back in retro spec and say that was crazy now but at the time Madden was a Mcdonalds all american and the #3 PG in the country so to expect him to go pro wasn't a reach. .............

???

Anderson, Cutts, Goodwin, Lang, Norton and Williamson:  yes

Madden:  no  (unless he at one time went by a first name of Kevin and graduated high school in 1985)

CLICK HERE

neds

February 09, 2013, 10:33:33 pm #36 Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:25:12 pm by neds
LA Tech runs off their 13th consecutive victory and goes to 21-3 overall tonight.
Raheem leads the way once again with 21pts tonight

bleudog

Quote from: neds on February 09, 2013, 10:33:33 pm
LA Tech runs off their 13th consecutive victory and goes to 21-3 overall tonight.
Raheem leads they way once again with 21pts tonight

This week's games:

Akron (MAC - 19-4) - ​15 games [2/13 @ Eastern Michigan (11-12) and 2/16 vs. Bowling Green (9-14)]

Memphis (CUSA - 20-3) - 14 games [2/13 vs. UCF (17-6) and 2/16 @ Marshall (10-14)]

Montana (Big Sky - 18-4) - 14 games [2/14 @ Weber State (16-5) and 2/16 @ Idaho State (4-18)]

Louisiana Tech (WAC - 21-3) - 13 games [2/14 @ Seattle (7-16) and 2/16 @ Idaho (9-14)]

Miami (ACC - 19-3) - 11 games [2/13 @ Florida State (13-10) and 2/17 @ Clemson (12-10)]

Middle Tennessee (Sun Belt - 22-4) - 11 games [2/16 @ UALR - 15-10]

New Mexico State (WAC - 17-8) - 11 games [2/14 @ San Jose (9-14) and 2/16 @ Utah State (17-5)]

bleudog

"Raheem Appleby poured in 28 points to carry Louisiana Tech to their program record-tying 15th straight win, a 67-61 win over Idaho on Saturday night at the Cowan Spectrum."

CLICK HERE

neds

I hope they can make some serious noise in the NCAA tournament

bleudog

Not sure how much Arkansas coverage they have, but Cox Sports TV is showing the Tech-Utah State game on about a one hour tape delay.  Just about to tip off.

neds

Quote from: bleudog on February 28, 2013, 08:13:01 pm
Not sure how much Arkansas coverage they have, but Cox Sports TV is showing the Tech-Utah State game on about a one hour tape delay.  Just about to tip off.

I saw they were up at half, 25 - 3 so far. Strong!

Basketball

It is human nature to help the people closest to you. Crawford pushes his kids because he sees them every day. Crawford is a Coach not a scout. His job is to help his kids first. The Hawks have a fine program and send many kids to college as well. AAU is designed to get kids exposure. Crawford works as hard as he can to get his Kids exposure. If you aren't one of his Kids then you should probably be upset with whoever is handling your recruiting process and not Crawford for using his resources. To respond to the Ky Madden 1and Done response. It is easy to look back in retro spec and say that was crazy now but at the time Madden was a Mcdonalds all american and the #3 PG in the country so to expect him to go pro wasn't a reach. Madden has simply struggled to progress and develop his game.
Crawford a coach.  That is funny.

mrcptkirk

Quote from: Basketball on February 28, 2013, 08:52:33 pm

I seen RC give a 3 min shooting drill to a kid once, walked away said to the parents that was there, that kid just improved his shootting by 30%. Had e1 wondering.
Crawford a coach.  That is funny.

Baller Fan35

Louisiana Tech ranked 25th! Go Rah!

bleudog

Tech won big last night and Appleby had 15. The announcer must have mentioned at least half a dozen times Appleby would get his vote for WAC POY.

The game replay should be available in the ESPN3 archives.

bleudog

March 03, 2013, 10:26:38 am #46 Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 08:07:39 pm by bleudog
With Tech's win last night they remain undefeated in conference, have clinched at least a share of the conference title and now have the nation's longest home and away winning streak at 18.

http://www.ncaa.com/content/ncaa-mens-basketball-current-win-streaks

http://www.latechsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/030213aaa.html

bleudog

Watch Tech play at New Mexico State Thursday at 8 p.m. CT on ESPN3.

hillbillyball

Its more about talent evaluation and I think if Anderson had of been the coach sooner Appleby would be a hog. No doubt he's better than Madden. He was during the year and all-star game and in college. Hype and talk, to many people believe everything they hear.

mrcptkirk

Quote from: hillbillyball on March 10, 2013, 11:46:03 am
Its more about talent evaluation and I think if Anderson had of been the coach sooner Appleby would be a hog. No doubt he's better than Madden. He was during the year and all-star game and in college. Hype and talk, to many people believe everything they hear.

+1..............

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas