• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Cross Country Teams

Started by Sports Loser, September 17, 2018, 10:38:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Sports Loser

Just wondering who had the best teams around the state

beach bum

I am not too sure at this point. I will be at the Chile Pepper this weekend though. I will be there starting at the college races through the high school 5K races. I'll be watching all of the teams there, but particularly the high school teams from Arkansas. It's a fast course with a lot of good teams from the regional states around us so there is always crazy, fast times at the Chile Pepper.

Flobbito

Quitman has been 2A Champs three years in a row, so I think they can make a case.  I don't know how they would fare against much larger schools but I think against most 3A and 4A schools they would be competitive.

HeberFan

Heber has the best cross country program, and best track & field program, in the state. Among the best in the country.

beach bum

Quote from: HeberFan on September 20, 2018, 01:14:19 pm
Heber has the best cross country program, and best track & field program, in the state. Among the best in the country.

Lol no.... Last year the kid from Fayetteville who is the fastest 5K and 2 miler in the state went to nationals and got last in the whole race and he is by far the best distance runner in this state. Just because Heber is good by Arkansas high school standards does not mean they are even close to being competitive nationally with other high schools. Look at a state like Utah with a population near ours and see how many DI distance runners they pump out compared to us as a state. Heber has a great program, but the last part of your sentence is not even close.

RATTLER43

Actually, Quitman has won two; TC won in 2015.  Bum is correct about Heber being great at state level.  I'll go with the usual suspects:  Bentonville, Rogers, Lake Hamilton, and throw in HarBer and Fayetteville.   

HeberFan

Quote from: beach bum on September 20, 2018, 04:23:59 pm

Lol no.... Last year the kid from Fayetteville who is the fastest 5K and 2 miler in the state went to nationals and got last in the whole race and he is by far the best distance runner in this state. Just because Heber is good by Arkansas high school standards does not mean they are even close to being competitive nationally with other high schools. Look at a state like Utah with a population near ours and see how many DI distance runners they pump out compared to us as a state. Heber has a great program, but the last part of your sentence is not even close.

I'm talking about the program.... number of conference and state titles. Heber is the best.

RATTLER43

In cross country, it is Central and Rogers by far.  Track and field Central and Pine Bluff.  Recently, Bentonville, LH, Texarkana, and Heber would be at or near the top.   Trinity Christian would have to be in consideration as well.   I'm rambling, so look at the AAA site for evidence to support it.   Heber has been great but not quite the top dog.

beach bum

September 22, 2018, 02:58:36 pm #8 Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 03:01:08 pm by beach bum
I was at the Chile Pepper today and that  is quite the fast course, but Fischer from Fayetteville threw out an impressive 15:20 for the overall win today. I bet if training went well for him leading into the spring he would be able to go barely sub 15 as a high schooler on a track for a 5K if that was an event in HS in Arkansas in track. I understand why because of time constraints at meets in the spring, but I wish the 5K was an event in track for Arkansas. I know just a handful of states do 5K in track for HS.

Gray lizard

Quote from: beach bum on September 22, 2018, 02:58:36 pm
I was at the Chile Pepper today and that  is quite the fast course, but Fischer from Fayetteville threw out an impressive 15:20 for the overall win today. I bet if training went well for him leading into the spring he would be able to go barely sub 15 as a high schooler on a track for a 5K if that was an event in HS in Arkansas in track. I understand why because of time constraints at meets in the spring, but I wish the 5K was an event in track for Arkansas. I know just a handful of states do 5K in track for HS.
Dang that could tie the track up for over 20 - 25 minutes for a lot of kids.

HeberFan

Not talking about indivudal efforts... but the program itself. Heber has literally won conference and state championships for decades.

beach bum

Quote from: HeberFan on January 15, 2019, 09:01:45 am
Not talking about indivudal efforts... but the program itself. Heber has literally won conference and state championships for decades.

You stated above though that they were one of the best in the country which is not even close to true.....

But yes, Heber is one of the best in the state of Arkansas if that is what we are talking about.

RATTLER43

January 15, 2019, 12:41:16 pm #12 Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 12:24:45 pm by RATTLER43
Quote from: HeberFan on January 15, 2019, 09:01:45 am

Great program.  But not the best in Arkansas.  I would possibly put them top 5.   

I will repeat:  In cross country, it is Central and Rogers by far.  Track and field Central and Pine Bluff.  Recently, Bentonville, Lake Hamilton, Texarkana, and Heber would be at or near the top.   Trinity Christian would have to be in consideration as well. Maybe even DeQueen and Stamps/Lewisville/Lafayette County or Emerson.   I'm rambling, so look at the AAA site for evidence to support it.   Heber has been great but not quite the top dog.  I believe Heber Springs joined DeQueen, Rogers, Bentonville, and Russvegas as the only triple crown winners.  Indoor state did not exist back when Central was winning everything.   

Evidence:  http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/Track_Field/TRACK_AND_FIELD_STATE_CHAMPIONS.pdf

HeberFan

Quote from: RATTLER43 on January 15, 2019, 12:41:16 pm
Great program.  But not the best in Arkansas.  I would possibly put them top 5.   

I will repeat:  In cross country, it is Central and Rogers by far.  Track and field Central and Pine Bluff.  Recently, Bentonville, Lake Hamilton, Texarkana, and Heber would be at or near the top.   Trinity Christian would have to be in consideration as well. Maybe even DeQueen and Stamps/Lewisville/Lafayette County or Emberson.   I'm rambling, so look at the AAA site for evidence to support it.   Heber has been great but not quite the top dog.  I believe Heber Springs joined DeQueen, Rogers, Bentonville, and Russvegas as the only triple crown winners.  Indoor state did not exist back when Central was winning everything.   

Evidence:  http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/Track_Field/TRACK_AND_FIELD_STATE_CHAMPIONS.pdf

Any program with multiple triple crowns?  Yeah, that would be, Heber.

RATTLER43

Quote from: HeberFan on January 15, 2019, 12:44:45 pm
Any program with multiple triple crowns?  Yeah, that would be, Heber.

... which makes them the dominant program in Class 4A in the past 10 years and possibly a top 5 overall.

But I love your passion for your team.  Great stuff....

HeberFan

Quote from: RATTLER43 on January 15, 2019, 01:55:30 pm
... which makes them the dominant program in Class 4A in the past 10 years and possibly a top 5 overall.

But I love your passion for your team.  Great stuff....

Dominant over the past 25 years, actually.....

What I'm saying is the "program" is easily the best in Arkansas. Not what school has the fastest runners, etc. In the same way, one could say Pulaski Academy has the best football "program" in Arkansas... whether or not they could always beat 7A schools or small colleges.

AT

Quote from: HeberFan on January 16, 2019, 09:53:48 am
Dominant over the past 25 years, actually.....

What I'm saying is the "program" is easily the best in Arkansas. Not what school has the fastest runners, etc. In the same way, one could say Pulaski Academy has the best football "program" in Arkansas... whether or not they could always beat 7A schools or small colleges.

He's saying historically, Heber has a bit to catch Crossett and Central. It isn't a slight at Heber. They are easily top 5 programs of all time.

HeberFan

Quote from: Almatrackster on January 16, 2019, 10:05:34 am
He's saying historically, Heber has a bit to catch Crossett and Central. It isn't a slight at Heber. They are easily top 5 programs of all time.

Maybe we agree that John McDonnell put together the best track program in history at the University of Arkansas, as in, any level and anywhere?

RATTLER43

January 16, 2019, 12:01:23 pm #18 Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 12:24:22 pm by RATTLER43
Quote from: HeberFan on January 16, 2019, 11:29:53 am
Maybe we agree that John McDonnell put together the best track program in history at the University of Arkansas, as in, any level and anywhere?

Yes.  We can agree!!!!!

AT is correct.    And I love Heber's program.  Got them top 10 all-time and top 5 in past 10-25 years.  Hard to say their program is better than Rogers, Bentonville, Lake Hamilton, Trinity Christian, and the like or above Central, Crossett, Pine Bluff all-time.     They may be their equal or even better for some stretches of time.      All-time is Central no matter what.  Case closed.   

But keep posting.  Love this type of discussion.   

RATTLER43

... and for the record, I don't mind folks disagreeing.  This is a board/forum for discussion.  Disagreement is part of it.  Much of what is posted is opinion anyway.
So, please, keep posting.  This is a good topic.

HeberFan

I disagree with myself sometimes....   :o)

RATTLER43

January 17, 2019, 09:44:55 am #21 Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 10:01:33 am by RATTLER43

RATTLER43

January 17, 2019, 09:47:14 am #22 Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 10:02:00 am by RATTLER43

RATTLER43

January 17, 2019, 09:51:58 am #23 Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 10:01:45 am by RATTLER43

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas