• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Saturday 2A Scores

Started by Brian G, March 07, 2014, 11:54:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheek

Quote from: jbtiger73 on March 08, 2014, 08:21:10 pm
Well im proud of Brinkley this season. Haven't been this far in a long time. Good luck to cedar ridge and clarendon

Congrats to the Tigers.  I heard that 25 got into foul trouble and had to sit most of the second half.  Tigers should be back next year starting three Sophs.

BoxNOne

When Cedar Ridge is clicking, they can make a pretty good team look bad.

bleudog

March 08, 2014, 09:25:09 pm #52 Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 10:57:36 am by bleudog
Quote from: bleudog on March 08, 2014, 04:32:46 pm
2A Boys: End 3Q Junction City 40 EPC 33 @ArkActAssnAAA

Can I assume EPC's game plan was to slow the game down?

Quote from: Donnie Jamon on March 08, 2014, 04:43:09 pm
Bluedog, EPC isn't very good at slowing the game..  Both teams I think are just pretty good defensively 

Quote from: bleudog on March 08, 2014, 04:54:52 pm
@2AStateHampton
@ArkActAssnAAA Junction City 54 East Poinsette County 50 Final

Quote from: mtindian42 on March 08, 2014, 05:46:58 pm
sounds like this was a great ball game...

1      2     3     4     Total
Junction    12    10   18    14     54
EPC           4     13   16    17     50

At least this year, JC was able to keep EPC from recovering from EPC's slow start.  Although tied at 50-50 with less than 16 seconds to go put that in jeopardy.

Congratulations to EPC for making the Sweet Sixteen.

cotnhauler

These tournaments 1 day behind or 2?

Timberwolf08

Two. But sort of three because of no games being played on Sunday.

ISU7

Quote from: mtindian42 on March 08, 2014, 05:46:58 pm
sounds like this was a great ball game...
Great job by the Lady Indians..

bdubyab60

Quote from: thabeast428 on March 08, 2014, 05:53:46 pm
Jc should of won by more if we would quit trying to run the clock down then turn the ball over and our coach won't make em run any offensive sets. EPC never gave up and shot the ball pretty good the 2nd half and played really good Defense. With bout a minute left they were leading 50-48 but Jc pulled it off. EPC ' S coach isn't a very friendly person at least not to JC lol.
I thought after the first quarter JC would cruise. EPC's best chance was to hit some outside shots and in the first quarter we didn't. I was proud of the way our boys battled because JC has a serious advantage on the boards. I don't like the throwing it around and stalling, it cost EPC in this game to. Run your offense to get a shot, if it's not a lay up run it again. A double digit lead and JC is shooting freethrows and jump shots.
Coach Hill has never been the kind to stand around and talk after a game. He shakes hands and off to the locker room.
This is a game where both teams let the game get away from them at one point. Unfortunately for EPC it was in the last few seconds.

Coach Hill said it pretty well. We had handled the pressure all game and in the last few seconds we let the moment get bigger than it should.

With that said I don't think JC wins the title. I've seen them 3 times, 2 streaming and once live. Not mention the few times last year. JC was better last year. The Evans kid was the glue and the money and they don't have that. A more disciplined team than EPC will give them fits. EPC got plenty of open shots and there are at 3 better shooting teams left in the tourney. JC does not shoot the ball well. Most of their shots come layups and put backs and a team that boxes out properly will be trouble. JC is going to be in every game they play in though just because they have the athletes, they have some good ball players but not that guy that can take a game over.

JMO the winner if the title is coming out of the top bracket. Firmly believe CR us 10 points better than the rest of the teams in the tourney and that Blevins now has the best shot at knocking them off.

BoxNOne

Bdub, do you think BIC can beat JC? Of course, BIC must beat Clarendon first. I didn't think they would beat Bearden but they did. They won't be out coached. I'm starting to think they could make finals.

bdubyab60

March 09, 2014, 10:34:14 am #58 Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 10:39:20 am by bdubyab60
Quote from: BoxNOne on March 09, 2014, 10:26:05 am
Bdub, do you think BIC can beat JC? Of course, BIC must beat Clarendon first. I didn't think they would beat Bearden but they did. They won't be out coached. I'm starting to think they could make finals.
I do. They actually have a little more size than EPC. They can't let the press bother them though, which they sometimes do. EPC handled the press pretty good.

Handle the press, make shots we forced up some bad ones and box out. If BIC gets there and does that they will give JC all they want.

Make turnovers, shoot bad and not compete on the boards it will be a blowout similar to what EPC did to them in the one game.

Those are the basics of the game I know but some teams do it better than others. When we made our run we boxed out and rebounded with them. Winning basket was on a put back.

BoxNOne

We'll see how they do against Clarendon. I think they start pressing when they get off the bus.

bdubyab60

Quote from: BoxNOne on March 09, 2014, 10:38:55 am
We'll see how they do against Clarendon. I think they start pressing when they get off the bus.
Believe JC and Clarendon are very similar. It's simply survive and advance now. But I do think BIC has a shot.

bleudog

March 09, 2014, 10:49:07 am #61 Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 10:52:58 am by bleudog
EDNT game write ups for Saturday's games:

JC:  CLICK HERE

Bearden and other boys:  CLICK HERE

Girls:  CLICK HERE

Great picture to catch the scoreboard in the background in the JC/EPC article.  Bdub, how long has EPC had those, shall I kindly say, "unique" uniforms?

Cheek

March 09, 2014, 10:50:07 am #62 Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 11:14:24 am by Cheek
Quote from: BoxNOne on March 09, 2014, 10:38:55 am

Clarendon has one of the best teams in 2A.  This will be a tough game for the Lions.  BIC will take them out of their game.  Clarendon does better aganist athletic teams that try and run with them.  I really believe that if Clarendon can win aganist BIC, they will beat JC and play in the finals.  BIC will pass out of the press, and will shut down the lane and make Clarendon shoot. I can see Clarendon having alot of foul trouble due to BIC taking charges or Clarendon going over the back on rebounds.

MomaLion

Foul trouble is what I worry about but we have subs that are just as good. From what I hear BIC never plays their subs so that may be an advantage. Our guys will get frustrated at the charges but that typically makes them work that much harder.

BoxNOne

Quote from: bleudog on March 09, 2014, 10:49:07 am

Bleudog, you have helped us here in NEA keep up with this tourney. The Jonesboro Sun coverage for 2a has been nonexistent despite a lot of local participants(BIC,EPC,Marmaduke and Marked Tree. Thanks.

Great picture to catch the scoreboard in the background in the JC/EPC article.  Bdub, how long has EPC had those, shall I kindly say, "unique" uniforms?

bdubyab60

Got them this year bleu. Actually our first loss in those unis.

BoxNOne

Quote from: MomaLion on March 09, 2014, 11:20:42 am
Foul trouble is what I worry about but we have subs that are just as good. From what I hear BIC never plays their subs so that may be an advantage. Our guys will get frustrated at the charges but that typically makes them work that much harder.

Moma, BIC will flop around more than crappie during mating season. It all depends on if the refs buy into it or not. Good luck to the Lions.

bleudog

March 09, 2014, 11:52:15 am #67 Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 12:28:10 pm by bleudog
Quote from: BoxNOne on March 09, 2014, 11:38:53 am

Bleudog, you have helped us here in NEA keep up with this tourney. The Jonesboro Sun coverage for 2a has been nonexistent despite a lot of local participants(BIC,EPC,Marmaduke and Marked Tree. Thanks.

You're welcome.  The El Dorado paper does a good job covering Union County sports.  And I've always figured the kids and the families love to see those names in print.  Although there are some sections of the paper where one wouldn't want to see a loved ones name. ;)

If JC doesn't make the semi, I'm not sure what level of coverage they'll give those games though.  They're trying to sell Union County papers and advertising you know. 8)

MomaLion

From what I've seen of these refs they love to call charges and most are questionable. I will say this...after a couple bogus charges, our boys will get mad and the next one will be legit and hard. They would never try to actually hurt someone but they will make their point.

leedog95

I bet coach Hill from EPC is tired of hearing that he is going to be replaced next year with Marcus Monk... Word is Marcus is coming back to EPC and bringing is little brother Malik back with him. Some people have said Malik wouldn't play for Hill again??? I do think Hill is a pretty good coach and I believe EPC overachieved all year...

Elvis

I don't think Marcus has the credentials to teach or the coaching endorsements required by the state of Arkansas to do either. As for Malik I think prep school in Virginia or Connectiicut are in his future. This kid is amazing. Your right I don't like Hill but he did an awesome job with this group. Kudos to Coach Hill,

Brian G

Marcus just recently said that all the rumors are false and Malik will be back at Bentonville next year.

bdubyab60

I'm not sure how true it is, don't no if it's true at all. But I've been told Hill is leaving not being replaced. He actually lives in the little rock area and rents down here through the week and wants to spend more time with his family. His leaving has nothing to do with Marcus. I thought Hill did a great job this year. Some think we over achieved and that's fine but remember this team of sophomores won conference without Malik so EPC still has talent.

As for Marcus being the coach I think it has been offered they said it on a radio show but I'm not sure. Having Marcus is not a prerequisite to having Malik come back. I've been told and seen messages where he said he is coming back and whether it happens or not is up to him and his mother not Marcus.

So don't be surprised if he is back next and don't be surprised if he is still a bentonville. Right now I'd say its 50/50.

bbfan89

Congratulations to Hill and the boys.. They gave their all and as fans that is all we can ask for. I wish Junction all the best the rest of the way. They showed class the last two years when they came up short and that is admirable (Bearden could learn a thing or two from them). Nobody likes to lose but the way Bearden acted after yesterdays loss was pathetic.

The people hosting at Hampton are doing a great job hosting and they are very nice (they are NOT fans of Bearden or JC though). A long way to travel but it was our turn for once.

Rumors swirl around Malik. Nobody knows what will happen, but as far as credentials Marcus has the college degree, sports knowledge and the intellect to get it done , he can go the non traditional licensure route if he wants to. Hill treated Malik like the golden child, I  know his number wasn't called in the final last year, but you cannot fault Hill too much for putting the ball in Sturdivant's  hand.  It is a great accomplishment for Hill to win back to back titles.  To have taken CR to the wire for nearly a third, what most people don't realize is that with just a few breaks EPC had an opportunity to go five in a row.  If not forgetting beat at the buzzer in 2010 by Hackett in the quarters, a foul called with two seconds left against CR in 2013, and Monk's transfer to Bentonville this year. EPC could really have done something special. We should be proud EPC!

bdubyab60

I'm very proud of our boys. A lot of people had us written off this year but we were right there again competeing. We should be very solid again next year no matter what happens.

If Hill moves on I know they have talked to several goid candidates by what I've heard.

mtindian42

bleudog

March 09, 2014, 08:56:13 pm #76 Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 09:01:23 pm by bleudog
Quote from: B.G. on March 09, 2014, 05:06:47 pm
Marcus just recently said that all the rumors are false and Malik will be back at Bentonville next year.

BG, that sounds similar to what the EPC folks were hearing last year:

Quote from: Will.I.Am. on July 31, 2013, 05:27:20 pm
Well, Danny West of Hawgsports.com just talked to Marcus. Marcus has not been hired at Bentonville as an assistant, and Marcus told Danny that Malik leaving is just a rumor. Soooo

Kid is a talent.  Hope he's got people around him who have his best interests at heart.

tacomeat

Quote from: bdubyab60 on March 09, 2014, 08:41:39 pm
I'm very proud of our boys. A lot of people had us written off this year but we were right there again competeing. We should be very solid again next year no matter what happens.

If Hill moves on I know they have talked to several goid candidates by what I've heard.
All the EPC fans should b proud of this group. They showed a ton of fight yesterday. When they were making the run to get back into the game & Scales got the dunk on the break that gym was rocking! Even though they couldn't make the play to close it out, they showed a ton of heart when other teams might've laid down. Fun bunch to watch.

Brian G

Except I knew Malik was going to BHS far before it ever got to the denial stage.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas