• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Breaking News: Paul Eels dies in car accident

Started by GeorgeWBush, July 31, 2006, 10:30:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeWBush

My sources tell me that is true.  Horrible if this is the truth.  I will try to find out more later.

SandLizard04

Was it that accident by Exit 83? Or do you have any idea what I'm talking about?

GeorgeWBush

GeorgeWBush

Quote from: SL04™ on July 31, 2006, 10:32:01 pm
Was it that accident by Exit 83? Or do you have any idea what I'm talking about?

Yeah it was.  A State Trooper friend just called me and told me.

player12

Everyone keep this man and his family in your prayers. May he rest in peace.
God Bless to everyone.

arkrazorback10

no doubt paul is in a better place now...he was a great man and will be greatly missed...my prayers are with his family

Father Guido

That is terrible news.  Prayers to the Eels familly and friend.

dc24

This is just horrible, I can't believe it.  Prayers to Paul and his family from Warren and ASU.

AirWarren

Arkansas just lost an Icon. What a great man to have to exit this world. Many prayers and thoughts for the Eels family. Long Remember the VOICE OF THE RAZORBACKS...TOUCHDOWN ARKANSAS! Paul, we all know you are in a better place.

crote

MHSPANTHERS

Terrible news; May God Bless Paul and his family.
(this is tragically similar to another Voice of the Razorbacks and KATV Sports Director, Bud Campbell, who passed away in an auto accident in 1974).
RIP Paul; you will be missed.

buzzinbee

July 31, 2006, 11:37:35 pm #12 Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 04:28:24 pm by buzzinbee
Prayers to both families from Clinton.

bulldogs1159

There will be a few touchdown Arkansas' in heaven this season. I had the great pleasure of having one of my highschool games called by Paul when out announcer was unable to attend. After the game he came and talked with us all and was a great man. He will be incredibly missed.

arkrazorback10

Saw this on hogville...In memory of Paul I think a lot of Razorback fans are gonna fly their car flags tommorow...its a good idea and if you have one fly it!

5Aplayer1

Sad that it happened here in Russellville. Prayers to his family.

Suzuki Kawasaki

What a tragedy of the first order.  Mr. Paul Eels was simply the best.  What a great ambassador for our state.  We all lost with his passing.  May he rest in peace. and may the Good Lord comfort his family during their very, very difficult time.

AB™

Quote from: Hogs Smell Good on July 31, 2006, 11:55:53 pm
Saw this on hogville...In memory of Paul I think a lot of Razorback fans are gonna fly their car flags tommorow...its a good idea and if you have one fly it!

Also saw on hogville.  That they think it'd be a good idea to play Paul's 'Touchdown Arkansas' call when we score with a recording.  I have to say I agree.  His TD Arkansas calls always gave me chills.

Uncle Ivan

I'm not sure that'd be a good idea.  It'd be a real damper.

bbishop

OUTLAWnuttmustgo

please tell me I'm still asleep and this isn't real!!!!!!!!!!!!

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

eaglesflyhigher

warriorsforever

This is so terribly sad.  My prayers to both families.  Razorback football will never be the same.

cards fan

August 01, 2006, 07:07:37 am #24 Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 08:39:06 am by cards fan
Prayers go out to both families....Mrs. Burton that was killed was a wonderful woman too....She has a 16 or 17 year old daughter that I know of.that is going to miss her mother.

R. A.™

retiredlion05

Paul will be missed.  There will never be another Razorback broadcaster who will be able to fill his shoes! 
Prayers for both families involved.

AB™

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on August 01, 2006, 01:32:24 am
I'm not sure that'd be a good idea.  It'd be a real damper.

It'd be sad, but it's also not going to be the same when the Hogs score a touchdown.

arkrazorback10

Don't go to arsnonline if you don't want to tear up.  This should be some good incentive for the backs to destroy USC come Sept. 2.

RHS

Shame this had to happen. Hogs games will never be the same.

Maybe I'm off base here or something, but I had a thought last night. You could make a CD of Paul's Calls (maybe 30 or something on there who knows) and sell it. Take the money and start some sort of scholarship foundation where the money would be used on one or two instate students that want to go into broadcasting and show traits that best exlemplified what Paul Eels was about.

Just my thought on how we could remember him for years to come, though those of us who ever heard him call a game will never forget.

footballfan-tastic

I was so sorry to hear this news.  Prayers for him and his family.   The Razorbacks lost a great fan.

7AFball

Sounds as if he has a massive coronary and died suddenly as he veered off the road and across the median. I also feel for the family of the young lady who also died in the wreck, age 40 I think. God please put your hands on these two unsuspecting people and guide the families to closure. Life can be taken away in a short few seconds.  :-[
  T O U C H D O W N .... Arkansas!!! Nobody will ever say it the same way as Paul .. ;)

rsvl_hogfan4

I am friends with the lady's daughter, and my father was friends with her. My parents called me at about 7 in the morning and told me. I was pretty shocked. My prayers go out to both families as well.

rsvl_hogfan4

I didn't read a whole lot into that article so forgive me if this has been mentioned, but I don't see how he went all the way into the other lane. For anyone who has been to Russellville, there is a grass median about 10 feet wide or more between the two sides of the interstate. I don't see how he would have done that. I am sure we will find out more, but one plausible cause could be he could have had a heart attack. I don't see him being drunk or too tired at 8pm.

RHS

After a day of playing golf in the sun, he could have been tired. One thing that will drain you is being in the sun all day no matter what you're doing.

retiredlion05

Quote from: RHS on August 01, 2006, 09:14:33 am

Maybe I'm off base here or something, but I had a thought last night. You could make a CD of Paul's Calls (maybe 30 or something on there who knows) and sell it. Take the money and start some sort of scholarship foundation where the money would be used on one or two instate students that want to go into broadcasting and show traits that best exlemplified what Paul Eels was about.

Just my thought on how we could remember him for years to come, though those of us who ever heard him call a game will never forget.

RHS, I think that's the best idea I've heard in a while.  That would be a great way to remember this great man.

RHS

McKnz

My wife used to work in the SID office at UofA and said that Paul Eells was the nicest man you could've ever met. I'm not even a big Arkansas fan, but I'm sure going to miss his touchdown calls.

brokensilence

RHS

Paul always loved Hogs.
The booth will be empty now.
Touchdown Arkansas!

That is my on the spot haiku.

R. A.™

August 01, 2006, 01:17:07 pm #40 Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 01:29:10 pm by R. A.™
Quote from: Mr. Real Estate on August 01, 2006, 10:46:58 am
Quote from: RHS on August 01, 2006, 09:14:33 am

RHS, I think that's the best idea I've heard in a while.  That would be a great way to remember this great man.

That is great idea

There is no doubt that Paul Eells had an affect on our lives, over 3 million have been on the KATV website to read the story and tribute.

SouthpawSensation

I think the UofA should give him a tribute with every time the Hogs score during the 2006 season, you hear his voice say "Touchdown Arkansas!".

eaglesflyhigher

@ 3:30, there was 3.8 million hits on the story....

Touchdown Arkansas should be used for that.

R. A.™

Can anyone verify what type of car he drove, I just recieved an email with what is labeled as his car w/ pictures

Uncle Ivan

SouthpawSensation

It was a 2001 Chevy Impala, according to the state police report last night.

SandLizard04

Quote from: R. A.™ on August 01, 2006, 03:29:03 pm
Can anyone verify what type of car he drove, I just recieved an email with what is labeled as his car w/ pictures
Send it to me, I can verify if it was or not. I drove right by it last night 10 minutes after it happened.

R. A.™

The pictures i have are of an impala.

IM me with an email address

GeorgeWBush

SandLizard04

August 01, 2006, 05:05:17 pm #49 Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 05:15:35 pm by Ramblin' Man
Yes, that is the Impala, after the Fire Department had got the body out and pieced the car back together as best they could. It looks like it is being held at Randy Casey's wreckyard off Sparksford Drive, or some other place like that.

The Lincoln was in a lot worse shape than that, believe it or not. The entire front end was caved into the backseat, as flat as eastern Arkansas. That was the first car I saw.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas