• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I love this.......Springdale begs for money for rings

Started by Quite Frankly, March 26, 2006, 09:00:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dogfan07

Quote from: RHS on March 27, 2006, 01:35:26 am
It's funny that the thread is talking about the ad, for the most part, and dogfan talks about them taking starters out during the games. Just made me laugh.

Anyway, I agree with bknight and Quite Frankly. It just puzzles me that Springdale can afford everything they have over the past few years but can't get the rings. I don't agree with asking all of NWA to help pay. Ask the residents of Springdale to help pay for them.

well if you have read what all we are talkin about you would see that there is some coments about the bulldogs not being classy. i was just saying if we werent why would we of takin out the first string.so read before you type rhs.

Super Scrapper

I thought the Springdale program represented the State well last year.  It was a Nationally ranked

program that was very much needed for our state.   Our Booster Club raised money and asked for

donations locally for our boys rings and I see nothing wrong with that.  There were ads in our local

papers.  The ADG NWA edition is a local paper in that area so I see nothing wrong with an ad for the

Springdale Bulldogs in it.  I think this is a bunch of jealous garbage.  Good luck in your effort to get

the money for your boys, they are truly deserving.  SS

So Scrappers ;D

bear

Springdale...Hello, buy your own rings for your kids....the rest of us respect what you accomplished, but I won't donate to it. It is Springdale and no one else..... :)

bknight33

Thr ad in the paper is okay, it is just rather large, and gives off the impression that the AAAAA west owes something to Springdale. Guess what? They don't.  Nothing has changed. Most people still do not care about high school football in Arkansas.   You guys have a huge booster club.  You guys have spent millions of dollars on seven on seven trips to promote your head coach, his offense, his book, and his players, a field house, artificial turf, camera equipment, coaches offices, the Gus Malzahn show, a scoreboard. . .etc.  how about forking over a few dollars out of your pocket and letting the booster club pick up the coaches and the underprivledged kids costs. 

V-Town_Eagle_24

March 27, 2006, 11:02:42 pm #54 Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 11:05:19 pm by JGotcher
First of all, this is a great thread.  I'm loving it!  :)

Anyway, I think it is very weird that Springdale has to accept donations for rings.  From my perspective, Springdale is a very "well off" city and school system.  The booster club definitely should have taken the rings into account.  That is a huge mistake on their part, and you Springdale people should be mad at them.  On the other hand, all of the things they did with their money were very beneficial to the school.  National recognition is what came with it.  They could have put back some money for the rings, though, because they would've had to be dumb to not anticipate a state championship.

For all of you small schools claiming "if we can pay for them, so can they," you have to take into account the fact that you are a smaller school in another area.  You have less kids.  That means less players on the team= less cost.  Granted you are probably not paying for as high quality rings as Springdale, though.  Springdale is a top-notch, high classification school system.  It is not required for them to have nicer facilities, but it is somewhat of a "norm."  A lot of their money has to pay for that stuff, and smaller schools do not have to worry about that.  That is a shaky argument, though, I know.

For all of you Springdale residents claming that others cities complaining is jealousy, know that that makes you seem even more arrogant and classless.  I am not saying Springdale people are that, because I do not know a single person from there, but it is not a hard concept to agree with.  If you think that someone is jealous of you, you are simply stating that you have things that they want.  That is not smart if you are trying to portray yourselves as classy.

Please note that I am not taking a certain side on this topic.  There are things that I agree and disagree with on this topic about Springdale.  Like many others have said, though, if you do not want to help, then don't.  It is that easy.  No one is saying that you must, or even should, help.

couch potato

The NWA Times ran the ad today so that is 2 papers readers can see the ad.  I know that both papers are owned by the same group but not everyone reads both papers.  Many points have been made throughout this thread but the one that hit home the most was the amount of money that has been spent over the years on facilities, field turf, scoreboard, etc and then the cost of this years banquet.  With that kind of money being spent, it just seems to go beyond the norm to ask for help in funding championship rings.  I don't recall you ever placing ads and asking for help in any other fundraising projects.  This needed to be done in house.  By the way, congratulations on a great year.

sdbulldogs13

bknight33

Why does the ring have Malzahn's name on the side? That is the most ridiculous looking thing I have ever seen .

olddog79

Quote from: couch potato on March 28, 2006, 08:24:46 am
The NWA Times ran the ad today so that is 2 papers readers can see the ad. I know that both papers are owned by the same group but not everyone reads both papers. Many points have been made throughout this thread but the one that hit home the most was the amount of money that has been spent over the years on facilities, field turf, scoreboard, etc and then the cost of this years banquet. With that kind of money being spent, it just seems to go beyond the norm to ask for help in funding championship rings. I don't recall you ever placing ads and asking for help in any other fundraising projects. This needed to be done in house. By the way, congratulations on a great year.
It DID NOT run the NWA times today...only the ADG sports section.

Check it again Coach Potato.

V-Town_Eagle_24

Did it run in the NW edition of the ARDEMGAZ, or the Little Rock edition?

olddog79

Quote from: JGotcher on March 28, 2006, 11:25:30 am
Did it run in the NW edition of the ARDEMGAZ, or the Little Rock edition?
NW edition only.

footballfan-tastic

I would say it looks a little odd for a program that has spent so much money on it's football program now doesn't have the money for rings.  It would seem they should have planned on this event.  Who didn't know they were going to win it all.  But, in reality there is nothing wrong with asking for help, the real joke will be if anyone gives them money from outside.   

couch potato

My bad....I must have been looking at the ADG instead of the NWA Times.  It doesn't minimize the begging though.  It does appear that someone got to the paper and had a few of the things stated in the original ad eliminated from this second running.  Again, I was wrong to say that it had run in another paper.  It was wrong of the SHS program to run it at all.
Quote from: olddog79 on March 28, 2006, 11:08:01 am
Quote from: couch potato on March 28, 2006, 08:24:46 am
The NWA Times ran the ad today so that is 2 papers readers can see the ad. I know that both papers are owned by the same group but not everyone reads both papers. Many points have been made throughout this thread but the one that hit home the most was the amount of money that has been spent over the years on facilities, field turf, scoreboard, etc and then the cost of this years banquet. With that kind of money being spent, it just seems to go beyond the norm to ask for help in funding championship rings. I don't recall you ever placing ads and asking for help in any other fundraising projects. This needed to be done in house. By the way, congratulations on a great year.
It DID NOT run the NWA times today...only the ADG sports section.

Check it again Coach Potato.

bulldogs1159

QuoteIt was wrong of the SHS program to run it at all.
No it wasn't.

V-Town_Eagle_24

In today's article, I saw nothing that seemed unclassy or arrogant.  There was no "Pride of NWA," or anything.  So, the arrogant thing is out of the window, in my opinion. 

bulldogs1159

Quote from: JGotcher on March 28, 2006, 05:31:51 pm
In today's article, I saw nothing that seemed unclassy or arrogant. There was no "Pride of NWA," or anything. So, the arrogant thing is out of the window, in my opinion.
The problem was found and corrected so people who say we have no class are once again proved wrong.

Forked Tongue

March 28, 2006, 07:15:06 pm #66 Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 07:27:25 pm by Forked Tongue
Someone must have thought it was wrong as it was or it wouldn't have been changed from the original ad.  Never underestimate the power of public thought!

Credit for correcting a wrong, but you can bet that they only changed it because others pointed out the flaw in the delivery of the intended message.  It's original form was what they REALLY meant to say and it was changed ONLY because they are doing whatever is necessary to raise money.  The "Pride of NWA" lead comment on the first ad was offensive and though they didn't think so when they wrote it, they nonetheles switched it help their cause.  Very understandable!

I do like that picture of the ring though!  Having Gus's name on the side is really odd though.  Why is that on there?  Is it because that's his personal ring and each will have their own name on it(unlikely due to room)?  His name seems out-of-place.  Is Lombardi's name on the Packers rings? Why so elaborate?  If you are having money issues maybe you should scale down the rings a little to the point that they are affordable.

Also, it's a travesty that they feel the need to wait until now to go for the dough.  The powers in charge must have felt it would be easier to appeal to the public to buy rings for the kids at this point and in the meanwhile spend money on other fluff.  You can bet they wouldn't have put an ad in the paper asking for money for scoreboards and other less romantic causes.  Apparently the lesson is to blow all the money as fast as you earn it on non-essentials and then appeal to the public's heart for rings for the players.

Will this money go to pay for just anyone's ring or will it pay for a secretary or a coach? Though everyone that they want to give one too is intitled to it, it's important to note if the solicited funds go directly to a needy player.  That's what the public is led to think.  My guess is that there is one big general fund and it pays for them all.  If any of the ad solicited money goes to a non-player(or manager) that would be wrong as well.  I'm not saying it is one way or the other, but I bet you can guess that one.

Great season.  Rings are deserved, I never said anything to the contrary.  Just tone it down.

bknight33

Quote from: Forked Tongue on March 28, 2006, 07:15:06 pm
Someone must have thought it was wrong as it was or it wouldn't have been changed from the original ad.  Never underestimate the power of public thought!

Credit for correcting a wrong, but you can bet that they only changed it because others pointed out the flaw in the delivery of the intended message.  It's original form was what they REALLY meant to say and it was changed ONLY because they are doing whatever is necessary to raise money.  The "Pride of NWA" lead comment on the first ad was offensive and though they didn't think so when they wrote it, they nonetheles switched it help their cause.  Very understandable!

I do like that picture of the ring though!  Having Gus's name on the side is really odd though.  Why is that on there?  Is it because that's his personal ring and each will have their own name on it(unlikely due to room)?  His name seems out-of-place.  Is Lombardi's name on the Packers rings? Why so elaborate?  If you are having money issues maybe you should scale down the rings a little to the point that they are affordable.

Also, it's a travesty that they feel the need to wait until now to go for the dough.  The powers in charge must have felt it would be easier to appeal to the public to buy rings for the kids at this point and in the meanwhile spend money on other fluff.  You can bet they wouldn't have put an ad in the paper asking for money for scoreboards and other less romantic causes.  Apparently the lesson is to blow all the money as fast as you earn it on non-essentials and then appeal to the public's heart for rings for the players.

Will this money go to pay for just anyone's ring or will it pay for a secretary or a coach? Though everyone that they want to give one too is intitled to it, it's important to note if the solicited funds go directly to a needy player.  That's what the public is led to think.  My guess is that there is one big general fund and it pays for them all.  If any of the ad solicited money goes to a non-player(or manager) that would be wrong as well.  I'm not saying it is one way or the other, but I bet you can guess that one.

Great season.  Rings are deserved, I never said anything to the contrary.  Just tone it down.

It says Malzahn.  I still cannot get over that. Malzahn? Wow.

olddog79

The reason why that ring says Malzahn is because that's his ring. If it was Mitch's ring, it would say Mustain. Malzahn's name is only on the display ring.

bknight33

March 28, 2006, 09:28:52 pm #69 Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 09:34:23 pm by bknight33
Quote from: olddog79 on March 28, 2006, 08:50:34 pm
The reason why that ring says Malzahn is because that's his ring. If it was Mitch's ring, it would say Mustain. Malzahn's name is only on the display ring.

That makes me feel a lot better.  I assumed that, but the longer the day went, the less sure I was about it.  No wonder those things cost so much money.  Personalizing each ring? What is this world coming to?  If you cannot afford rings, get them a plaque.

not ray

If the AAA should be responsible for buying all sport rings then why not have them buy the equivalent for band, chior, cheerleading, FBLA, etc???  Ring buying is certainly not what the AAA is for. 

rzbker1974

Quote from: constantine on March 28, 2006, 09:56:03 pm
Quote from: S.D. Jones on March 28, 2006, 09:36:20 pm
If the AAA should be responsible for buying all sport rings then why not have them buy the equivalent for band, chior, cheerleading, FBLA, etc??? Ring buying is certainly not what the AAA is for.

Again it all falls on the booster club and how they blew the funds on a banquet......let them find the money inside their own town.....without begging NWA to help

I guess the $25 that I had to pay for my dinner was a tip then. I am sure that covered the cost of serving the meal (probably $8-$12 a head) and the rent on the dining hall (probably $2,000).
Let's see, since you obviously were not in attendance, I would put the estimate of paying parents and family members at 400, times $25 equals a $10,000 gate.
If you fed everyone (the team and guest speakers, say 600 total at even $12 a head cost would be $7,200 plus the $2,000 is less than your gate.

Exactly how much do you think that the Booster Club was out of pocket after that?

My point being whatever your beef is with the booster club blowing funds has no basis. Back up your beef with something other than jealous stabs.

bknight33

Quote from: rzbker1974 on March 29, 2006, 07:49:56 am
Quote from: constantine on March 28, 2006, 09:56:03 pm
Quote from: S.D. Jones on March 28, 2006, 09:36:20 pm
If the AAA should be responsible for buying all sport rings then why not have them buy the equivalent for band, chior, cheerleading, FBLA, etc??? Ring buying is certainly not what the AAA is for.

Again it all falls on the booster club and how they blew the funds on a banquet......let them find the money inside their own town.....without begging NWA to help

I guess the $25 that I had to pay for my dinner was a tip then. I am sure that covered the cost of serving the meal (probably $8-$12 a head) and the rent on the dining hall (probably $2,000).
Let's see, since you obviously were not in attendance, I would put the estimate of paying parents and family members at 400, times $25 equals a $10,000 gate.
If you fed everyone (the team and guest speakers, say 600 total at even $12 a head cost would be $7,200 plus the $2,000 is less than your gate.

Exactly how much do you think that the Booster Club was out of pocket after that?

My point being whatever your beef is with the booster club blowing funds has no basis. Back up your beef with something other than jealous stabs.

Do you really think that people are jealous of Springdale football? Why? What is it with some people on this board?  Are they jealous because you won a state championship?  Because you had a great football coach? Because you had several great kids sign major D1 scholarships? Keep things in focus here.  You are not Jenks, Evangel, etc. . .you have great football tradition, but its not like you are pumping state championships and national rankings every year.  Like I said, buy a new scoreboard, replay board, turf field, renovate the stands, concessions, and build an indoor facility, and then ask Joe Public for ring money? Not very classy.

rzbker1974

Agreed, not very classy or I should say not very well thought out. The probability was there for them to go all the way. Hindsight,  I guess, is 20/20 for allocating the proper funds at the proper time.

IMO - I think that if additional funds are needed, there are certainly other alternatives that the School System/Booster Club/Parents could pursue. However, I think that somehow the players and their families should not have to bear the cost of an award. If I need to work extra to come up with the cash to pay for it for my son, on my own, I have that option. Some families however do not have that luxury.

BK, you have always carried yourself well, for what it's worth, I respect that.

waltflanagansdog

You can get a decent championship ring from $125 from Jostens.  No need to go spending $250 - $400 per ring.

olddog79

No one is begging NWA for money. If people want to give..great. if they don't...fine. But Springdale doesn't have a paper just for Springdale, so other people are going to see the ad. Deal with it.

BTW, there were many, many people attending the Springdale games that weren't from Springdale, or whoever they were playing, so yes there was interest outside of town. And believe it or not, some alums live in fayetteville and Rogers. Go figure.

bknight33

March 29, 2006, 01:00:29 pm #76 Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 01:06:08 pm by bknight33
olddog its not that they are asking for money, it's that they spent so much money on amenities for their football program, and from what I gather their senior class, that people are having such a hard time understanding the need for state championship ring money.

olddog79

Quote from: bknight33 on March 29, 2006, 01:00:29 pm
olddog its not that they are asking for money, it's that they spent so much money on amenities for their football program, and from what I gather, their senior class that people are having a hard time understanding the need for state championship ring money.
I agree, the money was spent for the wrong stuff..no doubt. But it's gone now and the boys still have no ring. I am just trying to help correct a wrong and everyone is being all pissy about it. If you don't want to give to it.....then don't. And if someone has a better idea on getting the rings paid for...I'm open to suggestion, but i'm tried of all the belly aching.

olddog79

Quote from: constantine on March 29, 2006, 12:57:49 pm
Quote from: olddog79 on March 29, 2006, 12:53:23 pm
No one is begging NWA for money. If people want to give..great. if they don't...fine. But Springdale doesn't have a paper just for Springdale, so other people are going to see the ad. Deal with it.

BTW, there were many, many people attending the Springdale games that weren't from Springdale, or whoever they were playing, so yes there was interest outside of town. And believe it or not, some alums live in fayetteville and Rogers. Go figure.

Wow dude you are so smart.....i realize alumns live out of the town.....and most came to see the "fab five" not sdale......without them no one would have cared like they did........and they can get stuff in just sdale papers.....by going to the sdale branch of the morning news and they would have it in the sdale papers only......bc there are different parts of the morning news......Fay did that a few years back when they were having a special fund raiser for several of the school atheltic teams, and it appeared in the Fay papers only....so dont try and justify what sdale did.....and by asking for donations that is a form of begging......sdale made their bed now they have to sleep in it too
Like i said before...if you don't like it...I DON'T CARE!

bulldogs1159

Quote from: constantine on March 29, 2006, 01:03:55 pm
Quote from: bknight33 on March 29, 2006, 01:00:29 pm
olddog its not that they are asking for money, it's that they spent so much money on amenities for their football program, and from what I gather, their senior class that people are having a hard time understanding the need for state championship ring money.

It is the fact that they blew the money on other things.....and now are asking outside the town like sdale was a regional team for all of NWA.....which it wasnt......if they blew the money then the school and the booster club needs to find another way than to ask outside the town......most businesses that did donate money will prob have a hard time donating more money.......especially if they are wondering what they did with all the money they had
Wow I didn't realize you had access to the finance report from the booster club. You are so in the know.

bknight33

Yes I am in the know.  Not hard. Go out and find one of the senior football players and ask them what they received from the booster club.

BiGgUy123

The point is sdale has no right to ask NWA for help.......no one cares if they blew their money......make the school and the booster club come up with it since they are responsible for the missuse of funds..........if anyone needs to right the wrond it is the booster club......let them do something even if it is out of their own pockets.....but dont ask NWA or the even businesses who gave especially for that to give more bc the booster club blew the money.......its on the booster club to find alternative means not the town or NWA

How do you suppose the booster club can get the money by not asking the community?

olddog79

Quote from: constantine on March 29, 2006, 06:19:05 pm
if you knew the amount of money they had......and blew.......they have no right to ask businesses and people for more money if they blew the funds......
You do not determine my rights, nor anyone else's.

Forked Tongue

olddog just keeps pawing away at this thread though he claims not to care and has already stated his final thoughts.  Cares more than he lets on............  Simply can not let a comment go by that he thinks is negtive about the Red Machine.  Even when it's the truth.  Bottom line for him is he simply can't take anything being said that he doesn't like.  I figure he was the bully on his block growing up 35 years ago.

Golfhog37

Const I would like to know how you know how much money that Springdale spent or do you really know I am guessing you are just running off at the mouth.

bulldogs1159

Quote from: Forked Tongue on March 29, 2006, 07:00:33 pm
olddog just keeps pawing away at this thread though he claims not to care and has already stated his final thoughts. Cares more than he lets on............ Simply can not let a comment go by that he thinks is negtive about the Red Machine. Even when it's the truth. Bottom line for him is he simply can't take anything being said that he doesn't like. I figure he was the bully on his block growing up 35 years ago.
Wow personal shots. Someone didn't have anything else to add to the argument.

bulldogs1159

Quote from: constantine on March 29, 2006, 08:43:53 pm
Quote from: Golfhog37 on March 29, 2006, 07:31:05 pm
Const I would like to know how you know how much money that Springdale spent or do you really know I am guessing you are just running off at the mouth.

Like is said earlier i have a relative that is one of the head people for the sdale booster club......so i know what i am talking about......i am not running anything off but the truth
Well crap then we better not argue with you. ::)

Golfhog37

Then who is the head of the Booster Club if you are so informed. Because I could possibly be close to the situation.

dogfan07

i heard that a parent from the team got close to 30k in money from singed footballs. i think walmart ppl bought them don't know for sure. a guy bought one for 1300. they had 15k paid for already.so that should pay for if that is true.the total for the rings are around 46.

Golfhog37

I'm not sure about the 30k I do think they had around the 15k. So if a parent had raised that kind of money then what did they spend that on.

dogfan07

lol. some head guys up at wally world in betonville bought some fballs.i guess it add up to around 30k. i guess you are not then const.

dogfan07

wally world as in wal-mart.i guess you are not lien then const.you dont know what i meant.

dogfan07

well i talked to the person tongiht at chruch about the banker that bought the 1300 dollar ball, and she said someone got 30k from walmart this week or its coming in late this week or early week. that is as far as i heard.

waltflanagansdog

Where did all the money come from that sent S-Dale to California for a 7 on 7 tournament?

Did Nike pay for them to fly out?

I just find this whole situation very ironic.  Malzahn's the coach (and more importantly the AD), the program gets anything they want.  Johnson and Wood take over and it's like everyone who supported the program disappeared.

couch potato

I have already said my piece but this is an interesting angle.  Good post.
Quote from: waltflanagansdog on March 30, 2006, 12:24:34 pm
Where did all the money come from that sent S-Dale to California for a 7 on 7 tournament?

Did Nike pay for them to fly out?

I just find this whole situation very ironic. Malzahn's the coach (and more importantly the AD), the program gets anything they want. Johnson and Wood take over and it's like everyone who supported the program disappeared.

dogfan07

yes springdale was invited to go to cali so nike paid for them to fly out. all the money they had went to the banquet because of beck campbell spent around 20k on it.thats where the money went

warpaint

Quote from: dogfan07 on March 30, 2006, 04:30:59 pm
yes springdale was invited to go to cali so nike paid for them to fly out. all the money they had went to the banquet because of beck campbell spent around 20k on it.thats where the money went

That's a pretty big accusation. I hope you have your facts straight.

And I'm pretty sure you don't.

delerium

It's true. Most of that was invested in gifts bought for seniors.

dogfan07

warpaint i think you need to get you stuff straight befor you startin say i dont.

warpaint

Quote from: dogfan07 on March 30, 2006, 07:44:45 pm
warpaint i think you need to get you stuff straight befor you startin say i dont.

You might want to get YOUR information straight young'en, before you start spewing out accusations. You might also want to keep in mind that parents and coaches are reading this board.
You act like you are in the know of everything, but you seem to be throwing out opinions instead of fact.

Make sure when you present something as fact; that it is fact. Not some opinion that your mommy or daddy told you.

Now, with that said, when was the last Springdale Booster Club meeting? I don't remember one.
Anyone attend? Anyone have the minutes from the meeting?

Don't think so.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas