• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carlisle forfeits its wins in 2015

Started by heavyhittaz_7, January 20, 2016, 05:40:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogWildBison2011

Its been a while... Doing some growing up in the big town of Conway. I hate to hear about this going on in my good ole city. Hey Cav... the feeling is mutual.  ;)

Sonofasonofasailor

February 17, 2016, 09:36:47 pm #152 Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 01:52:53 pm by Sonofasonofasailor
Quote from: bigworm on February 14, 2016, 09:01:48 pm
So?

Word is BB interviewed tonight and announcement on who they select should be next Tuesday.

minerjack

Ventman

Hope they make the right choice. Gotta get these Bison back on track.

Bigditchlion

That Would be a big get for the bison imo.

BrianfromCarlisle

Tigerdad2

I hope character plays a part in there decision

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on February 18, 2016, 07:34:21 pm
I hope character plays a part in there decision

Ironic that they are considering replacing a coach who was terminated for using ineligible players and forfeiting games with a coach who was terminated for using ineligible players and forfeiting games.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on February 18, 2016, 07:46:20 pm
Ironic that they are considering replacing a coach who was terminated for using ineligible players and forfeiting games with a coach who was terminated for using ineligible players and forfeiting games.

Winning will cure anything

Tigerdad2

It's sad, that's our world now . You can find both. Winning and character

purpleswag

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on February 18, 2016, 07:55:16 pm

Maybe you're looking at it the wrong way. I think forgiveness is an important part of a healthy world........ wouldn't you?

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: purpleswag on February 19, 2016, 06:31:00 am
Maybe you're looking at it the wrong way. I think forgiveness is an important part of a healthy world........ wouldn't you?

Looks like Carlisle isn't part of that healthy world. Otherwise, they would have forgiven the coach they fired.

Pat Swilling

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on February 19, 2016, 07:03:51 am
Looks like Carlisle isn't part of that healthy world. Otherwise, they would have forgiven the coach they fired.

Wasn't he leaving anyway?

JJYahoo

All this really means is that winning is the only thing that counts. 

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: HF on February 19, 2016, 09:07:16 am
Wasn't he leaving anyway?

Not sure but was under the impression the ineligible player issues got him.

wake up

February 19, 2016, 04:16:27 pm #168 Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 04:18:53 pm by wake up
Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on February 19, 2016, 10:47:46 am
Not sure but was under the impression the ineligible player issues got him.
I've followed Carlisle for many yrs. and I was always amazed how well conditioned and disciplined they were in the 90's. We were  3-A team then and they would wear us out with only 30+ players compared to us having 40-50 players, we're now a 5-A school.
By reading some of the Carlisle posters, I think they need to go after a Coach that's going to come in and establish a good strong work ethic and Wt. program and get the kids and community all excited again. I hate to see a good program end up like this!
IMO only BB is not the Coach that Carlisle needs at this time. If BB didn't need a Coaching Job, he wouldn't be looking at this one!

bigworm

BB won't stay long if he does get hired. We went through the coaching carousel for 15 years. Not good for a program to have a different Coach every 2 years. But I believe he is a great recruiter and pretty good Coach.

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on February 18, 2016, 07:55:16 pm

It's the same world as it always was. It's just our turn to live in it. nothing is new under the sun.

razorbackrob

I love how people assume that know what happened at NLR with Bolding. I think that he would be a home run hire for Carlisle.  Give the guy a chance, I promise you won't regret it.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: razorbackrob on February 21, 2016, 12:08:50 pm
I love how people assume that know what happened at NLR with Bolding. I think that he would be a home run hire for Carlisle.  Give the guy a chance, I promise you won't regret it.

Please tell everyone exactly what cost him the NLR gig.

arkansasprepfootball

Quote from: razorbackrob on February 21, 2016, 12:08:50 pm

Legal system doesn't seem to believe NLR was without merit in terminating him.  Why should we be surprised an anonymous FF poster knows better than legal system.

Please explain how he'd be a home run for Carlisle? What makes anyone believe he could transition what success he had at NLR to Carlisle?  HUGE talent difference, HUGE staff difference, much harder to recruit to.  That's a fact.

razorbackrob

Quote from: arkansasprepfootball on February 21, 2016, 01:05:33 pm
Legal system doesn't seem to believe NLR was without merit in terminating him.  Why should we be surprised an anonymous FF poster knows better than legal system.

Please explain how he'd be a home run for Carlisle? What makes anyone believe he could transition what success he had at NLR to Carlisle?  HUGE talent difference, HUGE staff difference, much harder to recruit to.  That's a fact.
Please explain why he wouldn't.

Idoknow

Quote from: arkansasprepfootball on February 21, 2016, 01:05:33 pm

What success, he only had 3 10 wins seasons at NLR with all that talent and that's includes his recruits! Never could get to the State Championship game.
Mayflower was better after he left and I still don't understand how he got the NLR job unless it was because of his Dad being AD at Conway!
I don't know what the teaching subject going to be at Carlisle but he complained about having to teach a few PE classes at NLR to go along with all the other problems that caused his termination. If this is what the School Board thinks the Community wants to lead their FB Program, so be it. It wouldn't be the first mistake that Carlisle has made in hiring a 'FB Coach'!

arkansasprepfootball

Quote from: Idoknow on February 21, 2016, 01:56:22 pm
What success, he only had 3 10 wins seasons at NLR with all that talent and that's includes his recruits! Never could get to the State Championship game.
Mayflower was better after he left and I still don't understand how he got the NLR job unless it was because of his Dad being AD at Conway!
I don't know what the teaching subject going to be at Carlisle but he complained about having to teach a few PE classes at NLR to go along with all the other problems that caused his termination. If this is what the School Board thinks the Community wants to lead their FB Program, so be it. It wouldn't be the first mistake that Carlisle has made in hiring a 'FB Coach'!

I agree.

I don't think anything warrants his hire over any of the number of other candidates. Every basketball game the past few weeks has been filled with names of applicants and interviews. Just on the AAA violation alone, I think it would be a mistake by Carlisle to hire a guy who committed violations to replace a guy they ran out for committing a violation.  If that was the case, they should have just been upfront with Keith and community and said we're going to non-renew him at end of this charade because he didn't win enough. At least that would have been honest.

If names being thrown around - Carlisle should really fix the leaks of info - are legit, there are a number of strong candidates that could get things back moving in the right direction.

Sonofasonofasailor

February 21, 2016, 02:44:09 pm #176 Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 02:45:45 pm by Sonofasonofasailor
Quote from: razorbackrob on February 21, 2016, 01:43:57 pm
Please explain why he wouldn't.

These are just a few of the things he wouldn't have at Carlisle.  Population about 2,000, no LRSD transplants, etc.  This is from a 2013 article.

Not only does Charging Wildcats coach Brad Bolding have the luxury of being the lone high school in a town with a population of close to 63,000 people, he has also drawn players from LRSD schools who are tired of losing and disorganization.

Bolding, the son of legendary prep coach and athletic director Buzz Bolding, is a player's coach. The team is outfitted with Under Armour gear, has a nice weight and locker room and turf field. The program has a collegiate feel with attention to detail and structure and word has spread

nuttinbuthogs

So is the effort here from Carlisle about the right coach or the coach with a "name".   One of those any publicity is good publicity mentalities?  Bolding has been a good coach from a good coaching family but many of the questions above are good ones, namely: How long will he stay, is he really interested in Carlisle or just needs a new entry position to get back into coaching, how effective will he be with a limited number of available players and a smaller talent pool?  The other question I see from the postings is; Some folks say they need the training/conditioning and discipline to get back to where they were, then the he is a players coach?  How do you create collegiate feel at such a small school which I bet has a small budget? 

Dayton Kitchens

Coaching success in any sport is not a transferrable commodity.   Not in high school, college or pro.   Circumstances that made a coach a success are virtually always radically different from one place to another.

It sounds to me like Carlisle is in the mode of "make the superintendent look good".    That is, get a "name coach" and no one will criticize the superintendent, AD, school board or anyone else for "hiring someone without experience".

An experienced coach fails,   all those in charge can simply say "Well, we hired the guy with the most experience" and there is very little to say beyond that.

No one though comes in and says "You should've hired someone with less experience".

Yeah,  I'll admit I'm ticked they didn't interview me.

razorbackrob

No ones hired yet, but I'll support whatever coach that they hire.

nuttinbuthogs

How well does Carlisle pay?  I looked up the school web site and the teacher pay is on the lower end.  I would think that would make getting or keeping someone like BB hard to do.  This is probably going to always be a problem for such a smaller school.

hornetfever

I think all of this is funny. Everybody in the 6-2A and 2A knew after the 2013 season that Carlisle was going to be wayyyyyyyyy down after graduating all those studs. I remember watching Carlisle destroy us at Hazen 40-12 in 2013 and everybody signed a petition to fire our coach. The next year we destroy Carlisle and everybody else in 6-2A and make to the State Championship game where we lost to Junction City. Coach Besancon is Hootens Coach of the year!!! I really think that Waymire and Barbaree got out of town because they knew the talent dried up and they couldn't do any better than this last guy did. Talent goes up and down in 2A. We are going to down for a year or two ourselves, Des Arc will as well. We could have beat Carlisle by a 100 if we wanted to the last couple of years. Players make coaches look good and bad especially in 2A ball.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: hornetfever on February 21, 2016, 04:31:46 pm
I think all of this is funny. Everybody in the 6-2A and 2A knew after the 2013 season that Carlisle was going to be wayyyyyyyyy down after graduating all those studs. I remember watching Carlisle destroy us at Hazen 40-12 in 2013 and everybody signed a petition to fire our coach. The next year we destroy Carlisle and everybody else in 6-2A and make to the State Championship game where we lost to Junction City. Coach Besancon is Hootens Coach of the year!!! I really think that Waymire and Barbaree got out of town because they knew the talent dried up and they couldn't do any better than this last guy did. Talent goes up and down in 2A. We are going to down for a year or two ourselves, Des Arc will as well. We could have beat Carlisle by a 100 if we wanted to the last couple of years. Players make coaches look good and bad especially in 2A ball.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Isn't this the norm for many levels of high school athletics?  It is rare to hear somebody actually say it about their own school, usually it's bad coaching. LOL!!

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on February 21, 2016, 04:58:35 pm
Isn't this the norm for many levels of high school athletics?  It is rare to hear somebody actually say it about their own school, usually it's bad coaching. LOL!!

It is true up to a point.

I've worked with a couple of coaches who won state championships.   But I only worked with one who consistently (over a three year period) got his team to perform ABOVE their talent level.    That of course was Doug Means of Norphlet who over the course of three seasons NEVER lost to a team where he had better talent and won five games over three seasons against clearly superior teams. (Smackover, Parkers Chapel, Parkers Chapel, Parkers Chapel, Strong).

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on February 21, 2016, 04:58:35 pm

For a small town, Carlisle had a long run of talent.  Go back to Walker, Marcus Thomas, Golleher, Craig Jackson, Petrus, and on up thru Weddle and Ricks.  The well might be a little dry right now. 

nuttinbuthogs

I'm still waiting on someone to explain how one of the really good schools have a bad year when they have the best coaches?  Or how the really bad schools cannot seem to get into the winning mode even when they have been through numerous coaches. LOL.

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on February 21, 2016, 08:18:02 pm
I'm still waiting on someone to explain how one of the really good schools have a bad year when they have the best coaches?  Or how the really bad schools cannot seem to get into the winning mode even when they have been through numerous coaches. LOL.

For one,  people learn the wrong thing regarding a coach having had previous success.

To many,  past success is an indicator of future success.

Sometimes this is true.

But rarely.

Actually,  past success as a coach is often the greatest hindrance to future success.

Why?

Because coaches (as well as people in other professions) have a huge tendency to try to replicate their past success in new circumstances regardless of the differences.

I'll give you the perfect example.

I once worked for a head football coach who had been the special teams coach at a 6A school.   While coaching special teams at that large school,   the football team had won a game by successfully carrying out a free kick on the final  play.

So, because of that,  TWELVE YEARS and OVER 100 football games later that same coach was still taking the time in practice every week to practice a game ending free kick.

Anyone familiar with football will tell you how seldom the opportunity to conduct possibly successful free kick actually occurs.    But this coach still had his memory of something that worked 12 years and more than 100 games before and he still devoted precious practice time in case he got to do it again.

Very few coaches are strong willed and open minded enough to set aside what they succeeded in doing before and adapt to vastly different circumstances

Hornet4ever

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on February 21, 2016, 09:30:41 pm
For one,  people learn the wrong thing regarding a coach having had previous success.

To many,  past success is an indicator of future success.

Sometimes this is true.

But rarely.

Actually,  past success as a coach is often the greatest hindrance to future success.

Why?

Because coaches (as well as people in other professions) have a huge tendency to try to replicate their past success in new circumstances regardless of the differences.

I'll give you the perfect example.

I once worked for a head football coach who had been the special teams coach at a 6A school.   While coaching special teams at that large school,   the football team had won a game by successfully carrying out a free kick on the final  play.

So, because of that,  TWELVE YEARS and OVER 100 football games later that same coach was still taking the time in practice every week to practice a game ending free kick.

Anyone familiar with football will tell you how seldom the opportunity to conduct possibly successful free kick actually occurs.    But this coach still had his memory of something that worked 12 years and more than 100 games before and he still devoted precious practice time in case he got to do it again.

Very few coaches are strong willed and open minded enough to set aside what they succeeded in doing before and adapt to vastly different circumstances

+1

razorbackrob

Uhiren is the next coach at Carlisle, who is this?

zebrafan

Quote from: razorbackrob on February 22, 2016, 11:45:27 pm
Former Marion head coach.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: razorbackrob on February 22, 2016, 11:45:27 pm

Carlisle alum who graduated in the late 70's.  Was an assistant at Wynne for several years and been HC at Hoxie, Lonoke and Marion.  Pretty hard nosed and runs a disciplined program.  Likes the Diamond T offense so look for ground and pound.  Since Carlisle is his (and his wife's) home town, he won't be looking for the next best job and maybe stop the revolving door seen the past few years.. 

purpleswag

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on February 23, 2016, 06:26:35 am
Carlisle alum who graduated in the late 70's.  Was an assistant at Wynne for several years and been HC at Hoxie, Lonoke and Marion.  Pretty hard nosed and runs a disciplined program.  Likes the Diamond T offense so look for ground and pound.  Since Carlisle is his (and his wife's) home town, he won't be looking for the next best job and maybe stop the revolving door seen the past few years..

Ground and pound is all that Carlisle has done for years

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: purpleswag on February 23, 2016, 06:31:47 am
Ground and pound is all that Carlisle has done for years

Fully aware of that.  The poster wanted to know who he is and that is part of who Uhiren is.

JohnBarleycorn

Dr. Defense

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: JohnBarleycorn on February 23, 2016, 10:32:16 am
Is this official?

This is from the Carlisle Alumni Association Facebook page.

Former Lonoke and Marion football coach and Carlisle High School alumnus Mark Uhiren was hired as the new Bison football coach according to superintendent Jason Clark.
Uhiren replaces Jack Keith, who resigned to become an assistant at Lonoke.

nuttinbuthogs

nuttinbuthogs

As to the point of coaches coming in and changing what they did somewhere else, well I believe they get hired based on what they did somewhere else.  Your analysis would suggest that prior success would not be a reason to hire a candidate.  So what do you hire based on, lack of success? Hiring a coach is a gamble at best and the list of those that had success and moved on to less success is long.  Coaches who are able to pick the best available job that fits him are the ones that are successful.

nuttinbuthogs

arkansasprepfootball

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on February 23, 2016, 08:04:03 pm
So where is he coming from?

I believe he's been a dean of students in the Marion School District since they reassigned him from his coaching duties a couple of years ago.  Situation got real ugly his last few years there as football coach - low numbers, low morale.  New Marion coach has turned it around, but still has a mountain to climb.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas