• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Eudora, Gillett, etc

Started by Waterboy94, December 05, 2015, 03:27:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Waterboy94

How many of y'all remember these teams? Both would always put up a tough fight back when Rison played them. Any other scrappy teams y'all can think of from back in the day?

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Waterboy94 on December 05, 2015, 03:27:35 pm
How many of y'all remember these teams? Both would always put up a tough fight back when Rison played them. Any other scrappy teams y'all can think of from back in the day?

Elaine, they had Vernon Hicks he held or may still hold some rushing records.

Altheimer they were always athletic

Waterboy94

Altheimer for sure! I remember a few games against those Red Devils.

wildcat_x-mgr

Oooh, yes! I remember them very well, they played a part in the last ring Rison got. Also Altheimer, but I remember them for different reasons.  :-\ Now a little before my time, I also know of Gould and Grady. One guy I used to work years ago, with who went to Dollarway, told me about this one time when Dollarway beat Pine Bluff High, and were pretty on top of themselves (maybe a bit too much), then the very next week, got beat by Grady! Moral of the story: NEVER underestimate anyone!

Waterboy94

Probably back in the day when Rison played White Hall!

wildcat_x-mgr

Quote from: Waterboy94 on December 05, 2015, 03:37:03 pm

And Watson Chapel, both of them! My dad's told me about that. He never was a big football fan (not like me) but he has told me that he remembers when Rison was bigger as a town than both Watson Chapel and White Hall! I guess Pine Bluff just hadn't expanded that far yet, but it's hard to believe, isn't it? And yeah, I've seen in the "Other Days" section of the news paper, we used to DEMOLISH them both back then!

Cheek

Quote from: wildcat_x-mgr on December 05, 2015, 03:33:44 pm
Oooh, yes! I remember them very well, they played a part in the last ring Rison got. Also Altheimer, but I remember them for different reasons.  :-\ Now a little before my time, I also know of Gould and Grady. One guy I used to work years ago, with who went to Dollarway, told me about this one time when Dollarway beat Pine Bluff High, and were pretty on top of themselves (maybe a bit too much), then the very next week, got beat by Grady! Moral of the story: NEVER underestimate anyone!

They got beat by Altheimer two years in a row.

wildcat_x-mgr

Quote from: Cheek on December 05, 2015, 03:56:50 pm

Who did? Sorry, I mentioned quite a few teams there, not sure which one you mean. I hope not Rison, cause I'm pretty sure we never lost to them even once.

Waterboy94

Dayton Kitchens

I think it was 2003 Altheimer had minimal numbers so the coach canceled all their nonconference games (also because he couldn't get his players to school until the school year started) and played a 7 game regular season schedule (Conference only).

They ended up 6 and 1,  losing only to Rison and then got to the quarterfinals.   Finishing 8-2 overall.

Can't remember the details but they did something similar in 2004.

Football

The original 8..
Hermitage
Strong
Woodlawn
Dermott
Rison
Althiemer
Gillette
Eudora
I was a sophomore when this league was made.. Gillette used to have that one back Josh Brown who was dang good. Althiemer and Eudora always had good athletes also..  But this league belong Rison who won it all in 2004

WonderWartHawg

I go back a little farther in Rison than you do, but there was a time when Grady and Gould both had tough teams.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: WonderWartHawg on December 05, 2015, 07:13:52 pm

I go back a little farther in Rison than you do, but there was a time when Grady and Gould both had tough teams.
Dang dude, you are old!

WonderWartHawg

Quote from: Waterboy94 on December 05, 2015, 03:37:03 pm

There was a time when Rison played Warren, Monticello, Joe T. Robinson, NLR Oak Grove, Lake Hamilton, Hot Springs Lakeside.  All those programs towns or schools continued to grow, Rison has stayed about the same.

WonderWartHawg

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 05, 2015, 07:14:43 pm
Quote from: WonderWartHawg on December 05, 2015, 07:13:52 pm

Dang dude, you are old!

I swear Wadell Kelly played RB for Gould for at least 6 years, lol.  He ended up playing some at ASU.

Cheek

Quote from: wildcat_x-mgr on December 05, 2015, 04:00:49 pm

Who did? Sorry, I mentioned quite a few teams there, not sure which one you mean. I hope not Rison, cause I'm pretty sure we never lost to them even once.

Dollarway

wildcat_x-mgr

Quote from: Cheek on December 05, 2015, 07:27:06 pm
Quote from: wildcat_x-mgr on December 05, 2015, 04:00:49 pm

Dollarway

Wow, I didn't know they had ever played in football. I do remember that one time, though, they played in basketball and Altheimer beat them. The Devils then went on to lose in the 2A state final, Dollarway went on to win the 3A crown! I think that was the year before they merged, and can you just imagine that combined basketball team?

MR#1

In the late '70s, District 8A consisted of the following teams:

Rison
Grady
Gould
Gillett
Delta
Woodlawn

In the early '80s, Chapel Academy was in the district (I think). I'm not sure about Jefferson Prep who won a state title. Does anyone know what district they competed in?

Dayton Kitchens

What conference was Jefferson Prep in?    IIRC they won state in 1981.

wildcat_x-mgr

I saw something in the Cleveland Co. Herald today, again in the "other days" section (five years ago, ten years ago, etc.) that caught my attention. Apparently in 1940, we started off the season with a tie against some team called Standard-Umstead, and it didn't list a mascot/nickname. Never heard of it, so I typed it into Google maps and came up with a library just outside Washington, AR which is northwest of Hope. Anyone know anything about these guys?

Lions84

Quote from: Waterboy94 on December 05, 2015, 03:31:30 pm
We had a cold bus ride home from their place . We beat them and the kids busted the Windows of our Bus.

hawgfan15

Quote from: wildcat_x-mgr on December 06, 2015, 03:03:19 pm
I saw something in the Cleveland Co. Herald today, again in the "other days" section (five years ago, ten years ago, etc.) that caught my attention. Apparently in 1940, we started off the season with a tie against some team called Standard-Umstead, and it didn't list a mascot/nickname. Never heard of it, so I typed it into Google maps and came up with a library just outside Washington, AR which is northwest of Hope. Anyone know anything about these guys?

The only school I have heard of from Washington, AR was Lincoln High School. From what I am told they had some really talented basketball teams back in the day.

HorseFeathers

They were in union county...

Pat Swilling

any way to get some old and updated pics of the old stadiums?

Lions84

Holly Grove had Football till 1986 and Won State in Basketball in 76.

wildcat_x-mgr

Quote from: HF on December 06, 2015, 11:08:27 pm

Guess Google Maps wasn't even close then, thanks man. Know anything else about them?

Oldcat

I remember Eudora in 05 they had a rb named cedarion drew i doubt i spelled that right but anyways he was a beast i sure am glad he didnt have a good team surrounding him or it would have been a long night for the wildcats..

HorseFeathers

Quote from: wildcat_x-mgr on December 07, 2015, 01:45:31 pm

Guess Google Maps wasn't even close then, thanks man. Know anything else about them?

No idea...I googled them, and found them on a list of school districts in Union County waaaaay back when....I'll hit up Cuz, and see if he remembers them haha

HorseFeathers

Quote from: HF on December 07, 2015, 08:43:30 pm

No idea...I googled them, and found them on a list of school districts in Union County waaaaay back when....I'll hit up Cuz, and see if he remembers them haha

The School was between Smackover and Norphlet. Apparently it used to be a decent sized community...School itself closed in the 50's. Now most of it is owned by a couple oil companies, and I think there is a volunteer fire department where the community used to be....And that's all I got

wildcat_x-mgr

Quote from: HF on December 07, 2015, 09:38:34 pm
Quote from: HF on December 07, 2015, 08:43:30 pm

The School was between Smackover and Norphlet. Apparently it used to be a decent sized community...School itself closed in the 50's. Now most of it is owned by a couple oil companies, and I think there is a volunteer fire department where the community used to be....And that's all I got

There was room between Smackover and Norphlet for another community to fit? That's news to me!

AlumniLights

Quote from: Waterboy94 on December 05, 2015, 03:31:30 pm

They were absolutely unbelievable on the basketball court nonetheless

Pat Swilling

nothing like small town friday night fb.

Jag-Class07

What ever happened to. " Hughes " think that's spelled right. I remember them having some good teams back in the 90s

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Jag-Class07 on December 09, 2015, 08:51:58 pm
What ever happened to. " Hughes " think that's spelled right. I remember them having some good teams back in the 90s

Gone the way of the dodo bird....falling numbers and financial issues led to them being forced to shut down last year, consolidated into west Memphis I believe

Jag-Class07

I can remember when Palastian and Wheatley where 2 different schools.
Wheatley warriors I believe they was

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Jag-Class07 on December 09, 2015, 09:02:50 pm

Wheatley jr high was involved in the first football game ever played in hector in 1975...

JC Guy

Standard-Umstead I beleive is North West of Smack Over. Could be wrong but I think that is correct.

cuz

Quote from: JC Guy on December 09, 2015, 09:21:35 pm
Standard-Umstead I beleive is North West of Smack Over. Could be wrong but I think that is correct.
its located between Smackover And Norphlet right about Ramsey Oil...

JC Guy

Quote from: cuz on December 09, 2015, 09:37:34 pm
On the Joyce City Rd correct?

cuz

Quote from: JC Guy on December 09, 2015, 09:42:01 pm
That is correct.....

JC Guy

Quote from: cuz on December 09, 2015, 10:38:10 pm
That is correct.....
I was in a lease at Millers Bluff for years and the locals would talk about the place. I have been through that way several times and it's just a community now and don't know if its big enough to have a post office.

cuz

Quote from: JC Guy on December 10, 2015, 06:12:58 am
Quote from: cuz on December 09, 2015, 10:38:10 pm
That is correct.....
I was in a lease at Millers Bluff for years and the locals would talk about the place. I have been through that way several times and it's just a community now and don't know if its big enough to have a post office.
All it has now is a volunteer fire department....

Lions84

They were the Pirates. 
Blue and White were their colors

NEark tigers

Old 3A- South (around 1988-1993)

Crawfordsville Tigers (closed 2004)
Turrell Rockets (closed 2010)
Parkin Tigers (closed 2006)
Marked Tree
Augusta Red Devils
East Poinsett Co.
Clay County Central (now Rector)
Walnut Ridge
Cross County

AlumniLights

Quote from: Lions84 on December 10, 2015, 12:04:55 pm

They were the Pirates. 

Palestine* ;D

tmycjy

Old 3-A east team now it's called the 5 - A east this is from 1991 to 1994

Wynne is now 5A
Osceola is now 3A
Newport is going to 3A next year
Batesville is now 5A
Marianna is now Lee school and is now 3A
Marion is now 6 A
Ridgecrest now paragould school is now 5A
Green county tech is now 5A

Outloud

I drove through hughes a few weeks ago. Football field(malzahn field) was knee high in weeds!!!! Looked like zombie apocalypse had already started there!!!!

Lions84

I remember playing Cotton Plant when they had the defending class A 4X100 relay team manning their Wishbone attack.  We won but it was a dog fight.

Pat Swilling

gotta keep this topic moving.  one of my favorites.  love good ole day stories.

Lions84

Quote from: AlumniLights on December 11, 2015, 06:02:40 am
Quote from: Lions84 on December 10, 2015, 12:04:55 pm

They were the Pirates. 

Palestine* ;D

Red and White and they were the Red Devils.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas