• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alma Airedale Basketball 2014-2015 (22-5) (10-3)

Started by AT, October 02, 2014, 11:15:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: zebradynasty on March 10, 2015, 04:24:20 pm
Yeah I heard the officiating was not good BOTH WAYS!

Unbelievable season Coach Finely is Coach of Year regardless of what happens in the Championship. To take this team this far with practically no seniors and 1 returning starter from last year....

The paper said they started two Srs

urban legend2

Congrats to Alma on a fine season...congrats to the Z's for staying with it throughout the season. Got a chance to nab the double-double! (Football, basketball title in the same season)

zebradynasty

Quote from: ricepig on March 10, 2015, 04:31:03 pm

Unbelievable season Coach Finely is Coach of Year regardless of what happens in the Championship. To take this team this far with practically no seniors and 1 returning starter from last year....

One starter is a Senior but he hasn't played since his sophmore year. So yeah on paper....plus he didn't join the team until THIS spring semester!

ricepig

Quote from: zebradynasty on March 10, 2015, 04:37:55 pm

One starter is a Senior but he hasn't played since his sophmore year. So yeah on paper....plus he didn't join the team until THIS spring semester!

Ok, I know they said a guard and a big man were SRs.

zebradynasty

Quote from: ricepig on March 10, 2015, 04:42:27 pm

Ok well see all season I didn't know the guard was a Senior ??? I'll have check it's not like he's played like a Senior LOL! But you could tell the light was coming on with this team toward the end of the season just that it had so many odd pieces to put together no one thought they could put it together this year.

AB™

Quote from: Pr8hd on March 10, 2015, 04:05:56 pm
60 plus fouls called between the two teams, I heard. Ouch!
It was not a fun game to watch.  Not just because Alma lost, but because there was about 10 players fouled out between both teams and it was a FT contest most of the game.  I know being a ref isn't an easy job, and I shouldn't get on here and say anything bad about them, but that game was very difficult to watch.  I guess I can't complain too much, though, since the refs were very consistent.  I just wish they would've let both teams play a little more.

ricepig

Quote from: zebradynasty on March 10, 2015, 04:50:25 pm

Ok well see all season I didn't know the guard was a Senior ??? I'll have check it's not like he's played like a Senior LOL! But you could tell the light was coming on with this team toward the end of the season just that it had so many odd pieces to put together no one thought they could put it together this year.

Well, I looked at the article again, they had him as both a Jr and Sr, haha. 

zebradynasty

Quote from: ricepig on March 10, 2015, 05:00:00 pm

Well I thought both guards were Juniors. What did the paper say was the guards name?

ricepig

Quote from: zebradynasty on March 10, 2015, 05:11:04 pm
Quote from: ricepig on March 10, 2015, 05:00:00 pm

Well I thought both guards were Juniors. What did the paper say was the guards name?

Smith??

zebrafan

ricepig

AT

Hope the state championship game isn't called that tight. Not entertaining to watch. I mean obviously it's not fun to watch your team lose, but it's worse to watch it with no flow.

zebrafan

Quote from: ricepig on March 10, 2015, 05:41:58 pm
Quote from: zebrafan on March 10, 2015, 05:37:59 pm
Both Smiths are Juniors.

Ok, I was just going off the article in the paper.
Yeah I don't think they have a correct roster, 3 seniors play...Snelling/pulliam/Sissions

ricepig

Quote from: Almatrackster on March 10, 2015, 05:46:10 pm
Hope the state championship game isn't called that tight. Not entertaining to watch. I mean obviously it's not fun to watch your team lose, but it's worse to watch it with no flow.

Hopefully those guys aren't calling Jonesboro's game tonight, we use a lot of hands, haha.

AT

Quote from: ricepig on March 10, 2015, 05:49:47 pm
Quote from: Almatrackster on March 10, 2015, 05:46:10 pm

Hopefully those guys aren't calling Jonesboro's game tonight, we use a lot of hands, haha.

I doubt they will be. If it's called like that, though, Russellville has very little depth. A good starting 5 and maybe two others who come in and play well within their roles.

P.F.G.

maxswine

I saw the Alma-Pine Bluff game.  As a person who didn't have a dog in the fight, worst called game I've ever seen.  Bad both ways, but it affected Alma more.  I got the stats afterwards from press row. 94 free throws.  66 shot by Pine Bluff.  It put the tournament 35 minutes behind.  Unreal. 

AT

Quote from: maxswine on March 10, 2015, 11:09:11 pm
I saw the Alma-Pine Bluff game.  As a person who didn't have a dog in the fight, worst called game I've ever seen.  Bad both ways, but it affected Alma more.  I got the stats afterwards from press row. 94 free throws.  66 shot by Pine Bluff.  It put the tournament 35 minutes behind.  Unreal.

I've heard many press members and Coach Flenor state himself "I've never seen anything like it" but they are pointing how it affects both teams and that PB adjusted better.

Just don't want Zebra fans to think I don't think they deserved to be in the state championship game while talking about the officiating just not being up to a good standard.

jking7

I was there also and man the fouls in this game were something.. It hurt both teams but I agree it affected Alma more.. Both good teams too bad the fouls killed the flow...

zebradynasty

94 free throws in a high school game is ridiculous! Be nice if AAA does some quality control on that crew for future games but we know AAA doesn't know what that means so....

Historically when fouls are called that close the Z's don't respond well so it would appear that Cinderella's glass slippers have Zebra print on them!  ;D

Pr8hd

Quote from: Almatrackster on March 11, 2015, 12:18:33 am

I've heard many press members and Coach Flenor state himself "I've never seen anything like it" but they are pointing how it affects both teams and that PB adjusted better.

Just don't want Zebra fans to think I don't think they deserved to be in the state championship game while talking about the officiating just not being up to a good standard.

I think based on the fact that all 5 alma starters fouled out and the sheer disparity in fouls called, the Alma faithful I have spoken to or seen on twitter are largely upset (albeit not being displayed on this forum by the Alma posters who I think largely have bitten their tongue and showed class).

In the end though, I think both teams had to overcome the officiating it sounds like. I think that is a ridiculous amount of fouls called. In looking at several of the games and conference tourneys, officiating is a sore spot across the board in multiple conference tourneys and not just isolated to this one game although this sounds like the pinnacle of pitiful. Ultimately, officials should let the players decide the games always especially at this stage.

itsslim

I've had the pleasure of broadcasting every Pine Bluff game this year.  The Alma game was a ugly game. Officials did not let the players play at all Let the kids play!!!  The officials seemed to make the game about themselves.  The crowd was pro Alma by a large margain, and while its not a crime the student section were hard on the officials all game, but with good reason!!!  I think this also played a part in the calls going not in the favor of Alma.  That shouldnt matter though and it was wrong on the officials part.  94 free throws???? are you serious?   I was expecting a better game and the officials didnt let it happen.  I also had the pleasure of watching Malik MOnk and the 7a conference games saturday and monday,  In the 7A they appear to let them play a lot more, but the officiating is sub par.  Pb seniors Mike Sessions, Jalon Pulliam, Percy Snelling, Jalen Johnson, and J. Anderson.  Sessions, and Snelling didnt join the team until January, Sessions didnt become a starter until the 11th conference game. John tate didnt join the team until December 19th. Very young team in Pine bluff, hats off to finley to start the season 0-4 and the make it to the ship in his first year.  Alma that Allen kid can shoot.  The refs took him out of his rhythm though. I wanted to see him and Thomas go at it more.  Great class and sportsmanhip by Alma, congrats on a great season.

Pr8hd

March 11, 2015, 12:09:55 pm #372 Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 02:03:44 pm by Pr8hd
Very admirable , both sides approach and honesty.

PB deserves credit no doubt, I thought their size/physicality might be an issue. They certainly came in and turned the boys side upside down, as has Siloam on the girls side with their run to the finals. Two Cinderellas going to the ball this weekend no doubt. Jonesboro and GW should be favorites in both, but the favorites haven't faired well against neither of these teams. Hats off to Alma on another great year in basketball.

zebradynasty

I don't think I've ever heard of team missing 30 free throws and still win the game!  :o Just an odd game.

SNWA

Anyone that came out of that side of the bracket was going to be Cinderella. Horrible , horrible seeding.  Mt Home at least 5 games under 500 was a #1 seed. Parkview is down further than they have ever been. Siloam upset nobody. Siloam was better than all 3 teams that they played. If there was a Cinderella then it was going to be Jonesboro. IMO top 4 teams in 6A were all on the same side with Siloam a close 5th. That being said it was the worse officiating I have ever seen. A certain few officials decide to make it personal and when that happens you are done. In the Alma game it got personal and the officials totally made it about themselves. Believe it or not to start the second half I believe the foul count was in favor of Alma 7 to 1. We said watch how quick that changed and sure enough no more than 3 minutes later it was 7 to 10 in favor of PB.

Go Postal

Since, I'm not from Pine Bluff or Alma, Wow!  I just checked in on our old 5A West buddies and I can't believe what I see.  From what I read, it sounded like a Zebra game and I'm not talking about the PB Zebras either.  Unbelievable 90+ FTs in a game.   :o ???  Pine Bluff and Alma are great ball teams, but Wow!  Let the players play.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas