• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

whos your favorite/least favorite away game?

Started by Bigbossman, October 19, 2014, 09:09:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigbossman

Let me tell yall something about turf. Little ol mineral springs arkansas.....2a school that might have 20 kids a year go out. Has some of the best turf you could ever want to see. Now granted it may or may not have been paid for using funds not appropriated for that, but none the less they have it. And a comment I heard down there once was. "We got turf and Nashville don't ha ha ha" but that's not true, we do have turf, its in our indoor practice facility right next to our brand new arena. So the point is if Nashville wanted turf Nashville would have turf, and many schools are that way. Turf does not automatically equal a topflight facility.  I think it can help, take hope for instance they got itinstalled a year or two ago and it really helped the place.

cuckoobird

Best, Heber but I think Riverview is very nice as well.
Worst, Newport, if a player runs down the visiting sideline you can't see them because the stands are so tall and the field is so close. And from what whipper has said, they moved the field even closer to the visitor side this year when they installed turf. I hope a kid doesn't get injured very badly some day by running into those concrete bleachers.

BannerMountainMan

I would say that my favorite away game is Highland, such nice people. Least favorite is Stuttgart, to many mosquitoes.

OLDSCHOOL82

October 20, 2014, 11:00:55 am #53 Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 11:25:40 am by OLDSCHOOL82
Favorite:  Hard to say, Dover has a great burger line with grilled onions to top em off.  Maumelle, last year of course, was super nice but weird not having visitors bleachers.  So I will have to say, War Memorial.

Least Favorite:  Subiaco.  Due to the red dog track and sketchy bleachers... Oh, and Dollarway!

cuckoobird

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on October 20, 2014, 11:00:55 am
Favorite:  Hard to say, Dover has a great burger line with grilled onions to top em off.  Maumelle, last year of course, was super nice but weird not having visitors bleachers.  So I will have to say, War Memorial.

Least Favorite:  Subiaco.  Due to the red dog track and sketchy bleachers.
Maumelle is horrible imo. Just for the fact everyone sits together

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: cuckoobird on October 20, 2014, 11:02:52 am

I agree.  I did not like that aspect of the stadium.  Once they get visitors bleachers it will be one of the nicest in the state.  Always nice to watch the deer run by during pre game though.

cuckoobird

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on October 20, 2014, 11:05:05 am
Quote from: cuckoobird on October 20, 2014, 11:02:52 am

I agree.  I did not like that aspect of the stadium.  Once they get visitors bleachers it will be one of the nicest in the state.  Always nice to watch the deer run by during pre game though.
If they add decent, doesn't have to be great, visitors stands then it will be one of the nicest in the state. Until then it's one of the worse

SouthpawSensation

What? No grilled jalapenos on those burgers too, oldschool? :D

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on October 20, 2014, 11:13:03 am

What? No grilled jalapenos on those burgers too, oldschool? :D
Cant rememger if they had those or not, but yes, if they had them, i ate them.

polksalet

My favorite away game is always Hope. I guess it's because it still looks so old school and I remember goin there when I was a little kid with my grandparents. Bu I'll agree with BBM that Malvern might be cooler, I just dont have the history there.

Worst road game is Ashdown. Though this year the opposing fans were pretty decent. It cracked me up that there were a half dozen cops on the Nashville side.

WPWells

Shocked no one has mentioned FL yet as one of the worst. Climbing those steps is terrible!

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on October 20, 2014, 12:00:08 pm
Shocked no one has mentioned FL yet as one of the worst. Climbing those steps is terrible!

I actually like the stadium and the whole setup.  The only bad thing is those dang steps!

arklasports57

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on October 20, 2014, 01:08:20 pm
Quote from: 12th Man CHS on October 20, 2014, 12:00:08 pm

I actually like the stadium and the whole setup.  The only bad thing is those dang steps!

I actually liked it too.  Thought it was pretty nice set-up and the steps weren't NEARLY as bad as what I expected after the description I heard from some!  lol 

mr.b@sc

my favorite is warren 1 year out of every 10 when we get a win.. my least favorite is warren the other 9 years that they send us home whipped...lol

arklasports57

Quote from: mr.b@sc on October 20, 2014, 08:32:14 pm
my favorite is warren 1 year out of every 10 when we get a win.. my least favorite is warren the other 9 years that they send us home whipped...lol

LOL  ;D

Bigbossman

Last time Nashville had a game at maumelle I skipped it due to the bleacher situation. Maumelle the only school in the state that has "add visitor bleachers" on its 5 year plan.

Jacketman65

For someone to admit 9 years of butt whipping - I must +1 you.

AirWarren

You da man!

x14113

Wow, Ive had to think about this one for a while...too many mixed bags...

Anyway, here are at least a few of my favorites.

Subiaco: Yeah, there's quite a bit of bias in this one, mainly because this was the first  football game (home or away) where I didn't get seated on the ground. Even so, Rebsamen Stadium has some of the best views to watch a game. Elevated bleachers 15 rows deep and set at a nice angle mitigates the track the fans have to view over.  You will want to dress comfortably when the winds kick in, though.

Beebe: Now, I personally consider this place to be a standard on which other stadia are measured, but it's still nice that the guests aren't being blown off here. I haven't been there in 15 years, and I never had a chance to get on the top row, but even my perch was a nice view to watch a game.

Prairie Grove: If Beebe is the standard or a grand stadium, this is the standard for a compact one. Not quite as steep as I would like, but the bleachers are elevated and close to the field, and the depth is reasonable.  Cheer fans may not like them so much, though; our group elects to cheer from the stands every time we go there.

Now, for my least favorites:

Dardanelle: This venue should be comparable to Clarksville's (which is adequate, though not stellar), yet I have noticed the guest stands here are notoriously subpar. To be more to the point: the stands themselves are poorly-supported, causeing them to sag under the foot traffic. When you see aluminum on the verge of caving in, you know there's a problem.

Lamar: This was my first road game, so there's still some lingering bias here, but any guest to this place during the pre-playoff years should remember what the place used to look like. The old visitor stands were on the ground, which means you wanted to avoid the bottom row if you could. Otherwise, all you'd see was spandex over pads. Fortunately, the Warriors got a larger stand for the home crowd and moved the old homestand to the visitors' side.

Morrilton: Unlike Lamar, their guest bleachers are still on the ground. Also unlike Lamar, there's a track around the field. And the home stands are much bigger. Talk about cheap...

dc24

Well Hamburg wasn't enjoyable to me.  The refs down there are just, well they aren't good like most places, but it always seems like your team is on the short end of the stick if you aren't a fan of the Lions.  They completely stole a game from Warren several years ago.  But never been a fan of the stadium.

I don't care for the winding drive to Star City even though it is easier to get to now., but otherwise never had too many problems there.  Not a fan of the drive to Dumas either through Winchester, but I always enjoyed their stadium and we played some good games with them.  Their playing surface tends to be in bad shape alot though, definitely a drawback for the players.

I echo the other comments on DeWitt.  Same as going to Lake Village pretty much, long trip, no competition usually, but I thought their stadium was decent, especially for what I was expecting.  I never enjoyed going to Fordyce much.  Good ballgames and I like the atmosphere, but it was always terrible to park at their concession stand, well the main one was on the home side and words were exchanged alot there between fans.  Pretty small too so it was always super crowded.

You can probably count me in the minority here, but I kind of liked going to Dollarway.  Always had great games, good atmosphere, and the people were always fine to me.  One downfall was the area of town and I do remember an arrest taking place behind the visitor's stands once, but other than that, I don't remember nothing too bad or out of the ordinary.  I like Crossett's place, but I've only been there once.  I always liked Stuttgart too and McGehee was always kind of neat to me.  You feel like you're playing in the middle of nowhere.

As for some of the other places we've been, I enjoyed most everything about Shiloh, but the one thing that was so, well what's the word, corny I guess, was the whole dad's and former lettermen standing on the field.  I'm sorry, but it just reeked of older people that can't let go of their high school football days and/or dads living through their kids.  They were also talking to our kids in warm-ups and that just isn't a good idea.  I hope they've stopped that.

Never cared for P.A.  Nothing bad about it, but I thought it was just all very average, but we did play some good games.  Monticello was always a fun trip and a huge rivalry game.  We had some really good ones before they joined the conference.  I remember making a trip to Lonoke a few years ago in the playoffs.  Didn't like their place.  We packed the stands and there was barely any room, but that happens alot of places.  I'm drawing a blank on other places.  Used to go to Dermott and Eudora.  Eudora was much like Lake Vilage, but never had a problem there.  Dermott was just small and the mosquitoes were bad, but that could be said other places too, haha.

I know there are some bad things about Warren too.  I used to hate our old concession stand set-up, didn't think it was big enough and it was so far away from the visitor stands.  Always made it crowded around the area where most people enter and just could be a mess at times.  Visitor stands were in terrible shape too, but I think we've got new ones there now.  I kind of wish we'd cut down the size of our home stands.  We have filled them up before, but if we aren't filling them up now, we probably never will again and it takes away from the atmosphere I think.

Just my observations though.  Haven't been most of these places in several years.

Bigbossman

Quote from: dc24 on October 27, 2014, 11:52:43 pm
Well Hamburg wasn't enjoyable to me.  The refs down there are just, well they aren't good like most places, but it always seems like your team is on the short end of the stick if you aren't a fan of the Lions.  They completely stole a game from Warren several years ago.  But never been a fan of the stadium.

I don't care for the winding drive to Star City even though it is easier to get to now., but otherwise never had too many problems there.  Not a fan of the drive to Dumas either through Winchester, but I always enjoyed their stadium and we played some good games with them.  Their playing surface tends to be in bad shape alot though, definitely a drawback for the players.

I echo the other comments on DeWitt.  Same as going to Lake Village pretty much, long trip, no competition usually, but I thought their stadium was decent, especially for what I was expecting.  I never enjoyed going to Fordyce much.  Good ballgames and I like the atmosphere, but it was always terrible to park at their concession stand, well the main one was on the home side and words were exchanged alot there between fans.  Pretty small too so it was always super crowded.

You can probably count me in the minority here, but I kind of liked going to Dollarway.  Always had great games, good atmosphere, and the people were always fine to me.  One downfall was the area of town and I do remember an arrest taking place behind the visitor's stands once, but other than that, I don't remember nothing too bad or out of the ordinary.  I like Crossett's place, but I've only been there once.  I always liked Stuttgart too and McGehee was always kind of neat to me.  You feel like you're playing in the middle of nowhere.

As for some of the other places we've been, I enjoyed most everything about Shiloh, but the one thing that was so, well what's the word, corny I guess, was the whole dad's and former lettermen standing on the field.  I'm sorry, but it just reeked of older people that can't let go of their high school football days and/or dads living through their kids.  They were also talking to our kids in warm-ups and that just isn't a good idea.  I hope they've stopped that.

Never cared for P.A.  Nothing bad about it, but I thought it was just all very average, but we did play some good games.  Monticello was always a fun trip and a huge rivalry game.  We had some really good ones before they joined the conference.  I remember making a trip to Lonoke a few years ago in the playoffs.  Didn't like their place.  We packed the stands and there was barely any room, but that happens alot of places.  I'm drawing a blank on other places.  Used to go to Dermott and Eudora.  Eudora was much like Lake Vilage, but never had a problem there.  Dermott was just small and the mosquitoes were bad, but that could be said other places too, haha.

I know there are some bad things about Warren too.  I used to hate our old concession stand set-up, didn't think it was big enough and it was so far away from the visitor stands.  Always made it crowded around the area where most people enter and just could be a mess at times.  Visitor stands were in terrible shape too, but I think we've got new ones there now.  I kind of wish we'd cut down the size of our home stands.  We have filled them up before, but if we aren't filling them up now, we probably never will again and it takes away from the atmosphere I think.

Just my observations though.  Haven't been most of these places in several years.
I totally agree about the daddy on the field deal.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas