• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PG Stats and research Department Week 7 Pea Ridge Edition

Started by zarns, October 15, 2014, 08:08:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

zarns

2014 Records
Pea Ridge 6-0 (3-0)
Prairie Grove 3-2 (2-1)

Last meeting
PG 35 PR 28 (2013)

Broadcast
www.pgtigersonline.com 645 PM

PG Stats and Research nugget of the week
Pea Ridge last beat PG in 2005 (27-24)

For the first time since 2011 the Prairie Grove Tigers lost a conference game last week to Shiloh Christian. Also for the first time since 2011 the Tigers lost a regular season road game.

The Tigers enter Friday nights game with more questions right now than answers and they had better find those answers pretty quick because The Blackhawks fly into town 6-0 and riding high after beating Gravette last week.

For PG this is the last game in the three game round robin that will most likely decide the 1-3 seeding in the 1-4a. Pea Ridge will have Shiloh left in a couple of weeks.

When Prairie Grove has the ball

During their two year run the Tigers did two things well, they ran the ball and they didn't turn it over. That was the recipe for success and it served them very well.

In 2014 the Tigers turnover margin, which is usually in positive double digits, sits at -1 right now. The Tigers continue to put the ball on the ground, 13 times in five games, last week it finally caught up to them. a fumble while driving for a score cost them a game they had a chance to win.

The Tigers MUST protect the ball to have any chance of beating Pea Ridge, who like Shiloh, doesn't make a lot of mistakes.

Blake Faulk carried the Tigers rushing attack last week notching his second career 100 yard game but the passing attack was non existent for the first time in 2014 (61 yards).

The Tigers have started fast in 2014, outscoring opponents 111-27 in the first half. The issue has been finishing games where the Tigers have been outscored 68-52 in the second half, including 27-6 last week.

The game plan won't change for PG. Run to win, pass when you have to... but ball security has to change.

Pea Ridge on the other hand comes in flying high, riding a six game winning streak. Despite being a little undersized, the Blackhawk defense is surprising stout and durable.

Last season they let PG run wild between the 20's but when the Tigers entered the red zone the Blackhawks turned the Tigers over multiple times frustrating what to that point, was a very efficient PG team.

I'd look for PR to crowd the line of scrimmage and dare PG to throw.

When Pea Ridge has the ball

The Blackhawks aren't complicated. They hand the ball to Shane Ivy until he needs a break. Then they they throw the ball with Senior QB Seth Brumley. In 2013 Pea Ridge had tremendous success throwing jump balls to their outside receivers, while mixing in Ivy and the running game. They were one of the few teams that was repeatedly able to handle PG's blitz scheme.

They are far more advanced in 2014 and appear, at least on film, to be more efficient.

Given PG's issues in the back four, I would expect PR to take a fair number of shots early. If effective the running game should open up and the 'Hawks will score points.

PG  had two quarters last week they would rather forget. All you need to know, 300 yards in the second half, 12-15 on third downs and 27 points.

Since this hasn't happened in a while I'm going to treat it as a one time event but clearly their are some things that need to be addressed. PG has been pretty good against the run giving up just over 120 yards a game. That will have to hold true Friday because PR will run until you stop them.

PG S&R dug deep into the stat machine this week...

Percentage of PG opponent drives that ended in three and out through the first five games...

2011 34%
2012 61%
2013 43%
2014 11%

The moral of the story... PG's defense has to get off the field.

As always the games are broadcast at www.pgtigersonline.com click on the "Live events" tab. Broadcast starts at 645pm.

We have a twitter account now. @tigersbroadcast where we will be tweeting live updates during the game. You can also follow me @arns0715 I'll be adding a running commentary during the game as well as updates.

Ole Legend

Also remember that last year, PG won on a last second fumble return for a touchdown. The "fumble" was very questionable.

Cfpr

I agree ole legend. I was there and watched several times on film and friend recorded DVD. Was not a fumble and ball was down before it came out.

iivydriff

October 17, 2014, 10:02:57 am #3 Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 10:26:48 am by iivydriff
It was not even close to a fumble. After the game last season we hashed it out on here about that fumble. There is a post somewhere on here that I posted that has the picture of the so called fumble that proves it was not. But it is what it is. things like that happen all the time in Football. I just hope we can go over there to PG tonight and have a good fairly called game by the officials. I dont ever want to see officiating crap like we had last week at Gravette It was terrible. The fumble at PG last year was a bad call. But the whole game up until that point I thought the officials were doing a great job. It was being called fair and square. And that makes me think the call on the fumble by the official was a mistake. And not something done on purpose. Like we got at Gravette last week multiple times over. I don't think PG's coach would go for officials ripping off a visiting team on purpose. In fact im almost sure of it.  So yeh the fumble last year was a game stopper. I still wish we could have finished that game without the fumble to see what really would have happened though. IT was getting really interesting and just about to turn out to be one of the best games Ive ever seen. Then right before the best part bam a fumble and its over.

Cfpr

Ole Legend

PG is always a good game. Both sides play a similar style, and both play with class. I want to see PR come out and play four quarters. So far this season, they have been coming out a little slow after halftime. Brumley and Ivy will both have to play good for PR to win. I think the PR defense is good enough to keep things close, it all depends on the offense.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas