• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does anyone play defense anymore?

Started by Eddie Goodson, September 01, 2016, 07:24:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Goodson

I have said for several years now that many Arkansas high schools are infected with Gus Malzahn's Disease. When I am seeing games woth 125 points scored, even I can see no one is playing defense. They put all their best players on offense and ignore the defense intending to run up video game scores in games to win. I contend that philosophy is severely hurting Arkansas high school players from making it to the next level. When you aren't developing some or your best players on BOTH sides of the ball, you are limiting their opportunities to get to the next level.
Your thoughts?
Agree?
Disagree?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on September 01, 2016, 07:24:42 am
I have said for several years now that many Arkansas high schools are infected with Gus Malzahn's Disease. When I am seeing games woth 125 points scored, even I can see no one is playing defense. They put all their best players on offense and ignore the defense intending to run up video game scores in games to win. I contend that philosophy is severely hurting Arkansas high school players from making it to the next level. When you aren't developing some or your best players on BOTH sides of the ball, you are limiting their opportunities to get to the next level.
Your thoughts?
Agree?
Disagree?

I think it's hurting the game....offense is fun, but the best defensive teams, for the most part,  still win championships

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: HorseFeathers on September 01, 2016, 07:57:21 am
I think it's hurting the game....offense is fun, but the best defensive teams, for the most part,  still win championships
Northside will play great defense and will not win any championships.  Take from that what you will.

Brian G

As the guy that does the scoreboard and tries to update every score possible, it wears me out.

Personally, it's dumbed down the value of a TD.

beach bum

I definitely agree with what you are saying. There are also a lot more plays per game being ran which definitely equates to more touchdowns. Also, the offenses were a lot more vanilla in the past too. But to answer your question, yes! A huge chunk of it is the defenses are not as good either.

OB11

Quote from: beach bum on September 01, 2016, 12:50:17 pm
I definitely agree with what you are saying. There are also a lot more plays per game being ran which definitely equates to more touchdowns. Also, the offenses were a lot more vanilla in the past too. But to answer your question, yes! A huge chunk of it is the defenses are not as good either.

The defenses are not as good any more because head coaches (for the most part) are "offensive" coaches.  You don't see many true "defensive" head coaches now days.  Therefore the focus is put more on the offensive side of the ball and in situations where a team can have players go one way, the better athletes are on offense.  Just my take on it.

minerjack

This is the best generation to be a good defensive player.  You'll easily go to the league.

Dr. Defense

As my screenname reflects I am a huge fan of DEFENSE!!!

Overdahill

September 01, 2016, 05:49:52 pm #8 Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:16:18 pm by Overdahill
I wonder if it will all cycle back eventually. When I was in HS (45 years ago) our coach was criticized for putting all his best athletes on defense. His idea of a perfect win was 6-0 :-\ . Interestingly enough, all 11 starters from my senior year got to play at least at some level in college so you may be on to something (note: there were 250-300 boys in each grade though so coach had a lot of players choose from unlike a lot of the smaller schools in Arkansas).

Rulesman

Boring. Kind of like the NBA. Whoever has the ball last wins. Saves yourself from wasting a whole night watching them run up and down the field. Just show up by the 4th quarter and you won't miss a thing.

ricepig

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on September 01, 2016, 07:24:42 am
Your thoughts?
Agree?
Disagree?

I agree, as was stated earlier, most coaches these days fancy themselves as some kind of offensive guru. It's a product of limited hitting/live tackling, and the best players on the offense.

Brian G

The proliferation of scoring led to longer games and a successful clamouring to move most games to 7:00 start.  Yet the steroid scoring still have many games not ending until 10:30.

Bad for media and some fans.

Good for concession stands that keep people around longer.

ricepig

Quote from: B.G. on September 01, 2016, 08:51:14 pm
The proliferation of scoring led to longer games and a successful clamouring to move most games to 7:00 start.  Yet the steroid scoring still have many games not ending until 10:30.

Jonesboro-Batesville started at 7:00, I left at halftime at 8:50, before the 20 minute half.

Rulesman

Quote from: ricepig on September 01, 2016, 09:17:34 pm
Jonesboro-Batesville started at 7:00, I left at halftime at 8:50, before the 20 minute half.
Back before the timing rules changed I remember working a Cabot/Jacksonville game that ended in 1 hour and 58 minutes. Think the score was something like 14-7. Sweet!

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: B.G. on September 01, 2016, 08:51:14 pm

The first half of the Van Buren - Alma game Tuesday night was 50 minutes.  It was a beautiful thing.

cuckoobird

Quote from: ricepig on September 01, 2016, 08:49:05 pm
I agree, as was stated earlier, most coaches these days fancy themselves as some kind of offensive guru. It's a product of limited hitting/live tackling, and the best players on the offense.
an old teammate and I were talking about this lastnight at the game. No one teaches tackling anymore

Overdahill

Quote from: cuckoobird on September 03, 2016, 07:41:14 am
an old teammate and I were talking about this lastnight at the game. No one teaches tackling anymore

you mean no more coaches screamin "put your Riddell on 'em" :D

cuckoobird

Actually that's what we were discussing, the use of the facemask against the chest is all they are teaching which in my opinion is causing more head injuries. I don't think they teach how to tackle at different angles and for that matter I don't think they are teaching ball carriers to switch arms to prevent fumbles either. 

Rulesman

Quote from: cuckoobird on September 03, 2016, 09:30:36 am
Actually that's what we were discussing, the use of the facemask against the chest is all they are teaching which in my opinion is causing more head injuries. I don't think they teach how to tackle at different angles and for that matter I don't think they are teaching ball carriers to switch arms to prevent fumbles either. 
Face tackling is illegal. Shame on the coach still teaching it.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Rulesman on September 03, 2016, 06:02:31 pm
Face tackling is illegal. Shame on the coach still teaching it.
Aren't most all kids coached to tackle below the neck with the face looking directly at the target?  Or are we talking about something else?

Lions84

Coachs are working to develop total mismatches a several positions on Offense so they can shred a D and win.  The only way to have a good D is to put some of your best players on D or have 4-6 who play both ways.

cuckoobird

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on September 06, 2016, 08:54:54 am
Aren't most all kids coached to tackle below the neck with the face looking directly at the target?  Or are we talking about something else?
yes they are probably taught that but the facemask shouldn't come in contact with the center mass or helmet of the ball carrier.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas