• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Goodbye Karma, my old friend...

Started by TigerFanz, February 28, 2007, 11:11:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

txdad

Quote from: cpsmom on March 02, 2007, 08:16:54 am
MACK! Why did you have to rattle that monkeys cage?
Arkansas-LOVE IT or LEAVE IT! And don't dis our athletes-any of them!

And what DI will your daughter be attending to play ball?

cpsmom

That is yet to be determined. But it has nothing to do with the state of softball in Arkansas.

txdad

Quote from: cpsmom on March 02, 2007, 10:21:38 am
That is yet to be determined. But it has nothing to do with the state of softball in Arkansas.

You said I dissed the athletes.  Can you show me where I did that in that previous post?  I think it was an honest assessment.  I really believe it was the truth.  Look up the averages for the players at UA, tell me how many Ar girls are actively on DI rosters....

mack

Quote from: txdad on March 02, 2007, 10:32:24 am

You said I dissed the athletes.  Can you show me where I did that in that previous post?  I think it was an honest assessment.  I really believe it was the truth.  Look up the averages for the players at UA, tell me how many Ar girls are actively on DI rosters....

Many of the responses you get are due to the "tone" you use when you evaluate our state's efforts thus far.   The apparent disdain you have for our rank in comparison to other states is bound to translate as "dissin" our gals as well.  As far as D1 participants, again, we are a small state.  Less numbers to build with and less money for funding the HS programs, are just a couple of the reasons we have for being behind.  Our summer programs are getting better each year.  More and more kids are getting quality instruction from those that have been there, done that like Roy Burlison at Arkansas Fast Pitch Academy and others.  More teams are going to national exposure camps for higher competition.  It will continue to improve here. 

Now dang it, if we could just make this state  a less attractive place to live and raise a family, we'd stop gettin' you furriners movin in all the time.  Hmmm, maybe that is making it more unattractive in itself?

txdad

Quote from: mack on March 02, 2007, 12:16:18 pm
Quote from: txdad on March 02, 2007, 10:32:24 am

Many of the responses you get are due to the "tone" you use when you evaluate our state's efforts thus far.   The apparent disdain you have for our rank in comparison to other states is bound to translate as "dissin" our gals as well.  As far as D1 participants, again, we are a small state.  Less numbers to build with and less money for funding the HS programs, are just a couple of the reasons we have for being behind.  Our summer programs are getting better each year.  More and more kids are getting quality instruction from those that have been there, done that like Roy Burlison at Arkansas Fast Pitch Academy and others.  More teams are going to national exposure camps for higher competition.  It will continue to improve here. 

Now dang it, if we could just make this state  a less attractive place to live and raise a family, we'd stop gettin' you furriners movin in all the time.  Hmmm, maybe that is making it more unattractive in itself?

I understand where you are coming from.  However, once again, I believe in that post I pointed out the progress that is being made.  I do see the Arkansas teams getting out of the state more.  That is something that just wasn't done 4-5 years ago.  They are even getting out at the younger ages.  Things are looking up.  It takes a lot of good coaches, supportive parents, and dedicated players to bring the overall level up.  I think there are plenty of those types that are willing to put in the time and effort.  Just the fact that there are "training" facilities springing up says a lot about the interest and progress. 

Uh_Oh

-txdad
"You said I dissed the athletes.  Can you show me where I did that in that previous post?  I think it was an honest assessment.  I really believe it was the truth.  Look up the averages for the players at UA, tell me how many Ar girls are actively on DI rosters...." -txdad

I have been visiting this website for a couple of years now but i never really got interested enough to post.  But as a AR athlete i feel that you are somewhat "dissin" us athletes. And u have said your just telling the truth but look at the facts! As you said Fp hasnt been around here as long and look at all the extremely talented players and teams here in AR. And since the surrounding states have such a headstart on AR i think Ar is competing extremely well.
You are looking at Ar girls in D1 but i know several girls that chose not to go D1 and were as talented as the girls that already played in D1. You also said that there are D2 schools that would give some D1 schools a run for there money. I jus feel like Ar athletes dont every get the credit we deserve from coming from a "mostly slowpitch" state and overwhelmingly "showing up" at all levels of Fast Pitch.

Now thats jus my opinion!

SBFanatic

I agree Uh-Oh, I know of at least one Arkansas girl that had a chance to play ball at a D1 and a couple of D2 schools, but chose a D3 because she picked the SCHOOL that worked for her, playing ball was a bonus!

Valleysports

QuoteI know of at least one Arkansas girl that had a chance to play ball at a D1 and a couple of D2 schools, but chose a D3 because she picked the SCHOOL that worked for her, playing ball was a bonus!

That's the point - if you lived in another state you might know of at least 3.  Or girls that were average on their TX, 7A high school teams, that easily migrate to Ark DII schools. 

txdad, ganglion, mack, everyone is saying the same - it's just more personal for some.  To state the facts - is not "dissin" you or your kids as athletes.  Mack has identified the root cause of this conversation -

QuoteLess numbers to build with and less money for funding the HS programs, are just a couple of the reasons we have for being behind.  Our summer programs are getting better each year.

MONEY is THE reason Arkansas, as a whole, lags behind in a lot of areas - Hopefully some day, we won't have to sell cookies and have car washes to fund our high school teams.  We are building fields and even indoor training facilities now.  Tech is building a field for their 5 yr old program. 

However, not all of Arkansas is dirt poor.  Therefore, we have a few school districts that compare with some of the best in the country, in athletics and academics as well.   :-* Trying to be politically correct  :D For example, just because Arkansas ranks 49th in education (Mississippi #50) it doesn't mean that your kid, living next to a Nuclear Plant, isn't getting the best education.  :-X  I'll bet that fires some intellects up!  ;D  How does Mississippi rank in the FP world?

I love Arkansas!  And I'm sure your kid lives in one of the exceptional school districts!  ;)  Please don't put me on the hate list!  ::)

cpsmom

OK. when he says" look at the stats of the AR. girls" etc. how can that not be a commentary about the athletes? School money is not the issue here. Everyone knows that most of the girls offered scholarships were not offered those on their High School performance.

txdad

Quote from: cpsmom on March 02, 2007, 04:12:32 pm
OK. when he says" look at the stats of the AR. girls" etc. how can that not be a commentary about the athletes? School money is not the issue here. Everyone knows that most of the girls offered scholarships were not offered those on their High School performance.

I don't quite understand this post.  Looking at the stats?  Isn't that fact as we know it?  That is a statement.... I didn't make their stats.  Just pointing out that some are having a difficult time adjusting to college ball.  That isn't to say that all kids don't do that.  A "superstar" in HS ball isn't necessarily going to be successful at the next level.... I don't care what sport or state you are from. 

iluvfp

I have been really interested in this discussion since joining this board earlier today.  I have been an Arkansas resident for some time now but most of my fastpitch exposure as a coach/parent came in another state a few years back.  I still follow fastpitch but only as a fan.

For my two cents worth, those who are saying Arkansas players are, as a whole, behind neighboring states is pretty much right on.  I don't see how though, that some of you consider that "disrespectfull".  Its just a fact.  Arkansas girls are just as talented athletically as any others, its just a matter of experience.  As I understand it, Arkansas has only been playing fastpitch for a few years whereas other surrounding states have been playing a lot longer.  Most college signees have been playing fastpitch for 10-12 years already.  That apparently isn't the case here.  I attended last years state tournament and saw most of the better pitchers in the state.  I'll be honest here, they were nothing but mediocre as far as college potential.  Again, how many of them have been pitching for 10 years?  Hitting around the state appears to be good on the surface, but then is it that hard to hit off of mediocre pitching?  Someone mentioned high school standouts not doing so well at the college level.  What else could you expect?  Most of the girls here have never seen D1 or even good D2 level pitching.

Don't get so offended when someone points out the fact that your daughter's team may not play as well as another one somewhere else.  Go see if its true.  The Tulsa area and the north Texas area have some very good tournaments with a lot of good teams.  Spend a weekend watching and ask yourself very honestly, does my daughter's team play that well?  If not, get yourself and more parents involved.  It's not the quality of our girls, it's the quality of help (coaching, fundraising) we give them.

My advice.....Parents, give it some time and dedication.  GET INVOLVED!

NormalTherman

you monkeys need to get back to the original purpose of this thread.

smack.   :P

ganglion

Quote from: iluvfp on March 03, 2007, 03:10:50 pm
I have been really interested in this discussion since joining this board earlier today.  I have been an Arkansas resident for some time now but most of my fastpitch exposure as a coach/parent came in another state a few years back.  I still follow fastpitch but only as a fan.

For my two cents worth, those who are saying Arkansas players are, as a whole, behind neighboring states is pretty much right on.  I don't see how though, that some of you consider that "disrespectfull".  Its just a fact.  Arkansas girls are just as talented athletically as any others, its just a matter of experience.  As I understand it, Arkansas has only been playing fastpitch for a few years whereas other surrounding states have been playing a lot longer.  Most college signees have been playing fastpitch for 10-12 years already.  That apparently isn't the case here.  I attended last years state tournament and saw most of the better pitchers in the state.  I'll be honest here, they were nothing but mediocre as far as college potential.  Again, how many of them have been pitching for 10 years?  Hitting around the state appears to be good on the surface, but then is it that hard to hit off of mediocre pitching?  Someone mentioned high school standouts not doing so well at the college level.  What else could you expect?  Most of the girls here have never seen D1 or even good D2 level pitching.

Don't get so offended when someone points out the fact that your daughter's team may not play as well as another one somewhere else.  Go see if its true.  The Tulsa area and the north Texas area have some very good tournaments with a lot of good teams.  Spend a weekend watching and ask yourself very honestly, does my daughter's team play that well?  If not, get yourself and more parents involved.  It's not the quality of our girls, it's the quality of help (coaching, fundraising) we give them.

Two tournaments last week, East Texas, Gold Divisions, Bryant and NLR went 12-1, 1st and 2nd place against TX and LA.  Yeah, so at LEAST 30 sets of Arkansas parents can say we play that well, I'm sure there are a bunch of others that can say that as well.  It's getting better every year
here.  Criminy, I get tired of you transplants coming in here and telling us what we need to do to get better.  Don't get offended when someone points out we don't need your evaluations of our daughters.

iluvfp

Congratualations to Bryant and NLR for a job well done.  Secondly ganglion, I'm not at all offended that you personally do not need any of my advice, sounds like you guys have it covered.  In the future, why not just skip over anything I post as you already know it all.

Dadof 24

That is why we love new folks coming to the board.  This has been an ongoing discussion for 3 years.  Nothing new, just different folks.  Fact is it is true, about softball, baseball, basketball, football, soccer.  All levels high school, D1, D2,D3, NAIA.

But we still play for the love of the game.

iluvfp

Quote from: Dadof 24 on March 03, 2007, 07:14:38 pm
That is why we love new folks coming to the board.  This has been an ongoing discussion for 3 years.  Nothing new, just different folks.  Fact is it is true, about softball, baseball, basketball, football, soccer.  All levels high school, D1, D2,D3, NAIA.

But we still play for the love of the game.
By all means, play for the love of it!  I am concerned over the fact that fastpitch popularity seems to be dying out in parts of the state.  I guess my point is that a certain amount of success breeds enthusiasm and participation, which keeps the sport alive for the younger girls coming up.

As far as this discussion going on for three years now, I'm tickled pink that there are still those who aren't afraid to say "the emperor has no clothes".  Sadly though, those of us who want to help nurture the game are told to butt out.....go figure?

Dadof 24

I fully expect you are correct on the loss of popularity.  If you notice there is now a soccer forum immediately after the softball tag.  That popularity is continuing to grow.  Here is my take on that..soccer is now expanding to adults.  Fastpitch in Arkansas has remained a girls game.  The loss of numbers in Arkansas FP is to other sports, not slowpitch as it was before.

Adult slowpitch leagues are on a serious decline as well.  If there is not some major infusion of support and promotion, it may be Merle Haggard time.

ganglion

Quote from: iluvfp on March 03, 2007, 06:45:38 pm
Congratualations to Bryant and NLR for a job well done.  Secondly ganglion, I'm not at all offended that you personally do not need any of my advice, sounds like you guys have it covered.  In the future, why not just skip over anything I post as you already know it all.

How could I resist responding to someone who is as opinionated as I am?

Uh_Oh

Quote from: iluvfp on March 03, 2007, 03:10:50 pm

I understand what a couple of you guys are saying about Arkansas getting a late start.  But considering that i still believe that fastpitch is going pretty darn well. As i said earlier we don't get enough credit.  With out bringing up the fact that we are "Behind" as a state, is the ability really that different? Jus wondering because of what ive seen and played we give anybody from any state a run for their money.

fluffymomma

Yes we are behind the other states as a whole....because we started playing fastpitch later, but our girls are just as talented if you compare apples to apples....the same amount of years exeperience & age.  If one is comparing stats, yes other states will fair better because of the years of experience they have over our girls.  I don't feel anyone here is dissing the girls on purpose....some are just more blunt than others....and some of us get a little defensive when others point out our weaknesses when being compared to those that have been playing much longer....keep it in perpective....we have come a long way and our girls look good and they aren't mediocre when compared apples to apples.....I'm proud of all of our girls and the accomplishments they've made in the short amount of time they've been playing.  If the ones pointing out our weaknesses are helping with a team....thank you.  If you're just pointing to be pointing....step up to the plate and help.

mack

Quote from: fluffymomma on March 05, 2007, 03:29:11 pm
Yes we are behind the other states as a whole....because we started playing fastpitch later, but our girls are just as talented if you compare apples to apples....the same amount of years exeperience & age.  If one is comparing stats, yes other states will fair better because of the years of experience they have over our girls.  I don't feel anyone here is dissing the girls on purpose....some are just more blunt than others....and some of us get a little defensive when others point out our weaknesses when being compared to those that have been playing much longer....keep it in perpective....we have come a long way and our girls look good and they aren't mediocre when compared apples to apples.....I'm proud of all of our girls and the accomplishments they've made in the short amount of time they've been playing.  If the ones pointing out our weaknesses are helping with a team....thank you.  If you're just pointing to be pointing....step up to the plate and help.

Could not have hoped to say it better myself.

TigerFanz

Man, you guys are killing this thread. What happened to all the smack?

Maybe this will start something.

WillieLowman wears depends at night. Nah na na na na...

mack

Quote from: TigerFanz on March 05, 2007, 11:18:10 pm

Due to my FF habit, my wife has started slipping Prozac in my coffee.  My smack is barely a love-tap now shamefully :'(

fluffymomma

willie_lowman

Quote from: TigerFanz on March 05, 2007, 11:18:10 pm

yeah... I'm waiting on a diamond to fall out.

I just want to be prepared.

Wahls

@ the creator of this thread:

Don't feel bad. It is usually from making a point so good that it evokes emotion from the reader feels he must dog you. I see mine as a badge of honor.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas