• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carlisle Football

Started by hogwild_82, June 06, 2018, 04:27:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogwild_82

So Coach Uhrien is out? What is the deal with Carlisle? Why have they fallen so far?

HoopKing

big E

I thought he was supposed to be the one that brought back the swagger.

HoopKing

I did some research and I found out he is retiring

Ventman

Hard times on the Prairie.  I think in the near future you will see many 2A schools dropping football. Kids just aren't wanting to play a game that takes as much effort as football does.  Its just sad to me, I love Friday nights watching the kids play this game.
Maybe they can hire a young coach and he can get the program back on track.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: big E on June 07, 2018, 05:14:19 am

I don't know if that was said about Uhiren or not but swagger is an over used buzz word that seems to surround a lot of new coaching hires, regardless of level.

Dayton Kitchens

I guess he swaggered right out the door...

WonderWartHawg

Quote from: Ventman on June 07, 2018, 10:07:36 am
Hard times on the Prairie.  I think in the near future you will see many 2A schools dropping football. Kids just aren't wanting to play a game that takes as much effort as football does.  Its just sad to me, I love Friday nights watching the kids play this game.
Maybe they can hire a young coach and he can get the program back on track.

Rison / Carlisle in the playoffs used to be as good of a football game as you could ever hope to watch, high school, college, NFL, bar none.  Of course we are not talking talent level wise, but as far as a game that meant something to the players, to the fans, to the communities...

BisonFan1

I don't think that was the thought behind his hiring.  Mark is a tough-nosed, no-nonsense type of coach.  When he was hired, the program was a complete mess...losing seasons, ineligible players being played, no accountability or discipline in the program, etc.  Coach sought to clean all that up and had a tremendous first season, going 7-5 and making into the second round of the playoffs.  Last year, he had four seniors and a total roster size of 21 or 22.  By the end of the year, due to injuries, he was down to only a handful of players.  The season went about as expected. 

I'm not sure how they were looking heading into this year, but honestly, I think Mark is just tired and realizes that it's time for someone else to fight the battles with the kids, the parents and the administration.  His style doesn't jive with many of today's kids nor their parents.  I also know his mom and dad, as well as his in-laws, are not in the best of shape so maybe he's stepping aside to assist with them.  Either way, Carlisle is his home, so I'm sure he will still be around and visible in the community.  He's a good man and I think he did an admirable job considering what he walked into.  As someone said earlier, the old days of small town football, I'm afraid, are a thing of the past.   

Fan1958

The next guy coming in is going to have it much easier.  Swapping Lee County for McCrory and/or Palestine-Wheatley makes finishing in the top four much easier.  Earle will be tough but not more than McCrory.

Biggest problem is Mark was hard nosed and no nonsense. He got that from the guy he played under in high school and the coaches he worked under before being the main man. The kids, and unfortunately the parents, want the coaches to be their buddy and he's just not that guy. His style is not flashy but is perfectly designed for the type and number of athletes available to him. But parents and kids want to throw the ball all over the yard. When you have 20 kids on the roster you don't have that luxury.

Parents today think they can just approach a coach and say whatever they want. That attitude rubs off on the kids. Be interesting to see the reaction of those parents if the coach showed up and made suggestions on how and when to water the rice or spray the beans.

BisonFan1

Quote from: Fan1958 on June 07, 2018, 10:27:35 pm
The next guy coming in is going to have it much easier.  Swapping Lee County for McCrory and/or Palestine-Wheatley makes finishing in the top four much easier.  Earle will be tough but not more than McCrory.

Biggest problem is Mark was hard nosed and no nonsense. He got that from the guy he played under in high school and the coaches he worked under before being the main man. The kids, and unfortunately the parents, want the coaches to be their buddy and he's just not that guy. His style is not flashy but is perfectly designed for the type and number of athletes available to him. But parents and kids want to throw the ball all over the yard. When you have 20 kids on the roster you don't have that luxury.

Parents today think they can just approach a coach and say whatever they want. That attitude rubs off on the kids. Be interesting to see the reaction of those parents if the coach showed up and made suggestions on how and when to water the rice or spray the beans.

Perfectly stated.  Mark never has and never will be a buddy buddy or butt kisser and that rubs a lot of people the wrong way.  He is about developing young boys into grown men, through hard work, discipline and accountability.  Unfortunately, all those traits are quickly disappearing as our society "progresses."  I would love to see how some of these parents and their kids would have dealt with James Clayton back when he was at the helm. 

Carlisle, in my opinion, will never be successful running any type of spread formation.  They simply do not have the athletes, nor the depth.  Look back at any successful Carlisle team and you will see that they were a run first, smash mouth football team.  Clayton, Waymire, Uhiren...all had similar philosophies that worked well with the types of kids they coached.     

big E

You can still be run first out the spread , it just allows you to not have to run against 11 in the box.

Sonofasonofasailor

June 08, 2018, 06:14:41 am #12 Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 09:51:10 am by Sonofasonofasailor
Quote from: big E on June 08, 2018, 05:23:30 am
You can still be run first out the spread , it just allows you to not have to run against 11 in the box.

Sure you can but coaches like Malham and others have proven the spread isn't the only way to win ballgames.

BTW, how many did P/W have in the box when Uhiren put up 38 on them a couple years back?

BisonFan1

Quote from: big E on June 08, 2018, 05:23:30 am

Sure, you can be a predominately run first team out of the spread, but 1958 stated that some of the Carlisle fans want to sling the ball around the field every play and that was what I was referring to. 

tmycjy

So what happen to mark uhions did he take another job or did he just lose his job coach or what please explain in detail

big E

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on June 08, 2018, 06:14:41 am
Sure you can but coaches like Malham and others have proven the spread isn't the only way to win ballgames.

BTW, how many did P/W have in the box when Uhiren put up 38 on them a couple years back?
Well knowing who the coach was my guess would be 8 , I say that because we never got out if the 4-4 when he was the coach , you could be killing us in c gap which happened quite frequently and he never would adjust.

BisonFan1

Quote from: tmycjy on June 08, 2018, 08:44:30 pm
So what happen to mark uhions did he take another job or did he just lose his job coach or what please explain in detail

My understanding is he just retired. 

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: BisonFan1 on June 07, 2018, 11:04:00 pm
Mark never has and never will be a buddy buddy or butt kisser and that rubs a lot of people the wrong way.  He is about developing young boys into grown men, through hard work, discipline and accountability.  Unfortunately, all those traits are quickly disappearing as our society "progresses."

I've read on this board that his boot camp approach was one reason the numbers were down.  Well kiddos, that excuse is gone so it will be interesting to see what happens going forward.

BisonFan1

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on June 09, 2018, 10:06:59 am
I've read on this board that his boot camp approach was one reason the numbers were down.  Well kiddos, that excuse is gone so it will be interesting to see what happens going forward.

Like I said, it's a good thing these kids and their parents weren't around when James Clayton was here.  I guess we just would not have had a football team then.

What's hard for me to understand is those seniors from the 2017 class (Mark's first year) thought the world of him (or at least the one's I talked to did).  They said he was tough, but he was fair and that he demanded respect and accountability.  So what happened between then and now?

If I were guessing, he got tired of fighting an uphill battle, with very little support, and he finally told them he was out.  I can't blame the man one bit.  It's no secret that Carlisle Schools are not in a good place now and it starts at the top, with the old superintendent, as well as the new one.  But that's a different discussion for another day.

HoopKing

You can't coach kids anymore the way he wants to.  You can't do it anywhere.  Probably should have went younger with the last hire.  He is a good coach that stayed too long

arkansasFBscoop

Quote from: HoopKing on June 09, 2018, 03:55:46 pm
You can't coach kids anymore the way he wants to.  You can't do it anywhere.  Probably should have went younger with the last hire.  He is a good coach that stayed too long

Yes!!

You can still run a disciplined, structured program.  There are MANY coaches across the state who do.  You just can't do it the way it was done 20+ years ago.  The exact same thing happened at Marion with him.  Exact. Same. Thing.  What point do you stop blaming kids and start adapting to kids?  Many have and still put tough, physical, disciplined teams on the field.

That isn't a knock on Uhiren personally, just a general observation.

tmycjy

Quote from: BisonFan1 on June 09, 2018, 08:09:14 am
My understanding is he just retired. 

OK thanks at least that make me feel better for that

bigworm

Quote from: arkansasFBscoop on June 09, 2018, 07:27:50 pm
Yes!!

You can still run a disciplined, structured program.  There are MANY coaches across the state who do.  You just can't do it the way it was done 20+ years ago.  The exact same thing happened at Marion with him.  Exact. Same. Thing.  What point do you stop blaming kids and start adapting to kids?  Many have and still put tough, physical, disciplined teams on the field.

That isn't a knock on Uhiren personally, just a general observation.

I agree 100 percent. You either adapt or die.

TNT43012

Parents and players wanted discipline when Uhiren was hired. I was one of the seniors during the 2016 season and some people who read on this thread know exactly who I am. Uhiren was definitely not hired to bring back "swagger". Swagger is for the kids. Uhiren was hired to win football games. The 2016 season was a dandy compared to the previous two seasons if you ask me. A win against McCrory and Des Arc that year, and we would have had a better run. A win against Augusta would have been nice too. However, there were some factors that threw the players off in the locker room pre game. We came out flat footed and etc.

Back to Uhiren. He's a respectable man. He's another dad to me. I only played under him for one season, but any day that I stepped into the field house when Uhiren was there I was greeted with a smile, a handshake, and "How you doing big boy?" Uhiren wasn't a swagger guy. He wasn't a buddy. He was a coach and a father to us. We respected him. We would go through heck and back for him. Look at the 2016 and 2017 seasons. You go from 7-5, losing in the second round to a VERY good Danville team, to only 2 wins and no playoff appearance. What changed? Not a single coach changed between the two seasons. What changed? The players. The group of seniors that I graduated with, would jump off a cliff for that man because we knew he would do the same. It's not a coaching issue at Carlisle. Not this time. It's the lack of respect and want to. If you want the truth, my class wanted Coach Roberson to be hired for the head coaching position that year. We would run the double wing offense that Waymire, Barbaree, and Keith hammered into us until we ran the triple option in the 2015 season. Roberson had been loyal to us and was busting our butts in the off season while the hiring process was going on. Were he %200 happy about Uhiren getting hired? Honestly, no. Butt there wasn't a dang thing we could do about it. So we sucked it up and played some football.

Whoever Carlisle hires next, will be a good hire. I have heard rumors here and there from some different sources. It will be just like any other coach. He is gonna yell. He is gonna push. How the kids respond, is what will determine the season.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: TNT43012 on June 11, 2018, 12:04:58 am
Parents and players wanted discipline when Uhiren was hired. I was one of the seniors during the 2016 season and some people who read on this thread know exactly who I am. Uhiren was definitely not hired to bring back "swagger". Swagger is for the kids. Uhiren was hired to win football games. The 2016 season was a dandy compared to the previous two seasons if you ask me. A win against McCrory and Des Arc that year, and we would have had a better run. A win against Augusta would have been nice too. However, there were some factors that threw the players off in the locker room pre game. We came out flat footed and etc.

Back to Uhiren. He's a respectable man. He's another dad to me. I only played under him for one season, but any day that I stepped into the field house when Uhiren was there I was greeted with a smile, a handshake, and "How you doing big boy?" Uhiren wasn't a swagger guy. He wasn't a buddy. He was a coach and a father to us. We respected him. We would go through heck and back for him. Look at the 2016 and 2017 seasons. You go from 7-5, losing in the second round to a VERY good Danville team, to only 2 wins and no playoff appearance. What changed? Not a single coach changed between the two seasons. What changed? The players. The group of seniors that I graduated with, would jump off a cliff for that man because we knew he would do the same. It's not a coaching issue at Carlisle. Not this time. It's the lack of respect and want to. If you want the truth, my class wanted Coach Roberson to be hired for the head coaching position that year. We would run the double wing offense that Waymire, Barbaree, and Keith hammered into us until we ran the triple option in the 2015 season. Roberson had been loyal to us and was busting our butts in the off season while the hiring process was going on. Were he %200 happy about Uhiren getting hired? Honestly, no. Butt there wasn't a dang thing we could do about it. So we sucked it up and played some football.

Whoever Carlisle hires next, will be a good hire. I have heard rumors here and there from some different sources. It will be just like any other coach. He is gonna yell. He is gonna push. How the kids respond, is what will determine the season.

That, young man, is probably the best post I've ever read on this board.  Props to you for sharing your personal experience and opinion.  Your comment on the only thing that changed was the players is especially telling.  Seems Uhiren isn't the ogre everyone makes him out to be.

samschoice

What happened to the last superintendent at Carlisle?

Dayton Kitchens

A win against Augusta would have been nice too. However, there were some factors that threw the players off in the locker room pre game. We came out flat footed and etc.

Wasn't that a game where Carlisle was behind by something like four touchdowns before their offense ever touched the ball?

I never figured that one out.

Eagle boss

Anybody know who they are interviewing for this job?

BisonFan1

Thank you for sharing that.  It's encouraging to see people that "get it."  Especially, young people.  I, too, wonder what changed between your class and last year?  Seems like "his way of coaching" worked pretty well two years ago. 

BisonFan1

Quote from: samschoice on June 11, 2018, 06:54:12 am
What happened to the last superintendent at Carlisle?

Jason Clark resigned as superintendent to assume some new hybrid role of facility maintenance/groundskeeper/etc. for the district.  The school board then voted for the HS Principal,Brad Horn, to be the new superintendent.  It was a 4-3 decision and many Carlisle people, myself included, were not happy with his hiring.  Under Clark (Superintendent) and Horn (HS Principal), Carlisle schools appear to have fallen way behind in terms of test scores, post-secondary readiness, etc.  In addition, and equally alarming, is the high rate of turnover among teachers/staff, especially those that have been in Carlisle for the majority of their career.  While I understand, some teachers will leave due to making more money elsewhere, there are/were many teachers who wanted to stay on, but because things were so bad, they retired or resigned.

I've heard so many stories from coaches/teachers that I've known for many years that really has me concerned for the future of Carlisle Schools.  That's why I said I think administration and the lack of support from said administrators may have also played a role in Uhiren stepping down.   

TNT43012

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on June 11, 2018, 08:44:14 am
Wasn't that a game where Carlisle was behind by something like four touchdowns before their offense ever touched the ball?

I never figured that one out.

Pretty much. We were on our high horse after defeating Dewitt the week before.

Big Dave

From what I'm hearing, it will be a entire new coaching staff. In my opinion,  Roberson should get the shot.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: BisonFan1 on June 11, 2018, 11:06:00 am
Jason Clark resigned as superintendent to assume some new hybrid role of facility maintenance/groundskeeper/etc. for the district.  The school board then voted for the HS Principal,Brad Horn, to be the new superintendent.  It was a 4-3 decision and many Carlisle people, myself included, were not happy with his hiring.  Under Clark (Superintendent) and Horn (HS Principal), Carlisle schools appear to have fallen way behind in terms of test scores, post-secondary readiness, etc.  In addition, and equally alarming, is the high rate of turnover among teachers/staff, especially those that have been in Carlisle for the majority of their career.  While I understand, some teachers will leave due to making more money elsewhere, there are/were many teachers who wanted to stay on, but because things were so bad, they retired or resigned.

I've heard so many stories from coaches/teachers that I've known for many years that really has me concerned for the future of Carlisle Schools.  That's why I said I think administration and the lack of support from said administrators may have also played a role in Uhiren stepping down.   

Is the new principal the guy who was the baseball coach when they had an embarrassing incident during the state championship game in Fayetteville a few years back?

BisonFan1

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on June 12, 2018, 05:43:12 am
Is the new principal the guy who was the baseball coach when they had an embarrassing incident during the state championship game in Fayetteville a few years back?

I'm not sure of the incident you are referring too, but yes, I believe it is the same guy.  B.J. Greene is his name.  I think he left Carlisle in 2012. 

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: BisonFan1 on June 12, 2018, 08:42:35 am
I’m not sure of the incident you are referring too, but yes, I believe it is the same guy.  B.J. Greene is his name.  I think he left Carlisle in 2012. 

Bradley Joseph Greene is a good man.    I worked with him at Norphlet a couple of years.   A gifted baseball coach and really good at coaching one of the more difficult positions at the high school level (defensive secondary).

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: BisonFan1 on June 12, 2018, 08:42:35 am
I'm not sure of the incident you are referring too, but yes, I believe it is the same guy.  B.J. Greene is his name.  I think he left Carlisle in 2012.

I did a little FF research and found this.  Sounds like one kid and his parent got out of line but that Greene handled it well.

He was called out for making contact with the ball while his foot was out side of the batters box(in front of the plate) He was ejected for throwing his helmet and probaly his langauge. Randy Rainwater said his mother was dancing on top of the dugout as this happened. How embarassing for Carlisle. Score now 14-2 probaly going to end as a run ruled game in the 5th. I hate this for all the other Carlisle players who have always played with class everytime I saw them play this year. Carlisle's coach was a great example of how to handle a terrible situation.

And the kid charged the ump and bumped the ump and kicked dirt on the plate and was giving the one finger salute leaving the field as he is being escorted by UAPD?? He was wanting out of the game...

Bildo

Let me just say that the Carlisle Schools and administration leading it are in a good place. The former administration, which includes some of the current are doing a fantastic job. Our test scores are in line with like and neighboring schools. We have great teachers, coaches, administrators and facilities. We have great fan support also. Sometimes you might not be winning because you're just not that good. Sorry... that's life. Your kid/team (I am being rhetorical) may not be as good as you think.

I wish not to engage in a war of words with anyone on their opinion that differs from mine. BUT... my daughter just graduated from there this past year... was in every sport that girls could be in and excelled in each. I am not posting this to brag, I am posting this to make a point. She worked hard, on and mostly OFF the field and court. She respected her coaches and administrators and never had an issue with any of them. Wanna know why? RESPECT! Respect for your leaders who are doing their best to raise kids that parents are not raising at home. People are quick to point the finger when you don't win games or you don't make the playoffs etc but, are your kids working at getting better? Are you as a parent teaching them to respect the system? Other students? Rules? Or even sometimes... the law?

It's football... not the end of the world. I played on some winning teams and mediocre teams. Didn't change the fact that I was gonna have a life after it. Live it up and enjoy it, just be realistic. Somebody has to lose in sports. That's why you keep score.

Kraig Crist

y'all acting like Uhiren denied some kids water or something.

TNT43012

There are still good kids left in the world. Ones that want to work and ones that will respect their coach and go behind whatever they say. It's just a rare occurrence. I am scared to come out of college in a few years and come back to Carlisle to start my teaching and coaching career. I know pretty much all the faces that are in the school because my mom is a teacher there now. I am scared that I won't be respected as a coach and/or teacher because of how close I will be to them in age. And because so, I have thought about starting somewhere else and returning later like Uhiren did. But what's to say that Carlisle is still there in X amount of years? The school district closing is the last thing on my mind because I doubt it will happen, but anything is possible right?

TNT43012

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on June 12, 2018, 10:06:00 am
I did a little FF research and found this.  Sounds like one kid and his parent got out of line but that Greene handled it well.

He was called out for making contact with the ball while his foot was out side of the batters box(in front of the plate) He was ejected for throwing his helmet and probaly his langauge. Randy Rainwater said his mother was dancing on top of the dugout as this happened. How embarassing for Carlisle. Score now 14-2 probaly going to end as a run ruled game in the 5th. I hate this for all the other Carlisle players who have always played with class everytime I saw them play this year. Carlisle's coach was a great example of how to handle a terrible situation.

And the kid charged the ump and bumped the ump and kicked dirt on the plate and was giving the one finger salute leaving the field as he is being escorted by UAPD?? He was wanting out of the game...

This did happen. I was there as a spectator, and it was embarrassing. It only made the loss worse than what it was. Coach Greene is a great guy. I had him as PE teacher for several years. He coached me my 7th grade year in the OLB position. He took the baseball team to the State championship that year and was also on the staff that made it to the football State Championship  just a few months before. I was shocked to see him back as a principal. He has already started making changes such as a student athlete handbook. It's a great addition because some student athletes don't understand that they are held to a higher accountability than anyone else in the district.

old.dole

Any names floating around over there yet? I've heard interviews are going on already but no one has any names

Bildo

Hopefully know something this week

Sonofasonofasailor

June 12, 2018, 09:15:57 pm #42 Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 09:17:45 pm by Sonofasonofasailor
Quote from: BisonFan1 on June 11, 2018, 11:06:00 am

Saw this in an online article.  Do they usually have that much turn over during the summer?

In other personnel business, the board unanimously accepted resignations, new hires and a contract amendment presented.

Resignations accepted were from Brooke Davis, Donna Tanksley, Ashley Bryant, Alex Rhinehardt, Logan Prince, Ryan Johnson, Dallas Hermann, Phillip Bernhardt, Mark Uhiren and Lonnie Roberson.

BisonFan1

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on June 12, 2018, 09:15:57 pm
Saw this in an online article.  Do they usually have that much turn over during the summer?

In other personnel business, the board unanimously accepted resignations, new hires and a contract amendment presented.

Resignations accepted were from Brooke Davis, Donna Tanksley, Ashley Bryant, Alex Rhinehardt, Logan Prince, Ryan Johnson, Dallas Hermann, Phillip Bernhardt, Mark Uhiren and Lonnie Roberson.

I saw that as well.  I'm not sure about the other names listed but Uhiren, Bernhardt, Roberson and Prince is the entire football staff (King was also an assistant that left earlier in the year).  Most of the time, even if the head coach resigns/retires, his remaining staff will stay around to 1) try to get the head job or 2) see who gets the job and maybe try to stay on in the same capacity.  In this instance, it looks like they all decided to move on.     

As I said earlier, according to what I'm seeing and hearing from those in and around the school, it appears that there is something going on and people are jumping ship.  To me, that long of a list of resignations, for a school the size of Carlisle, is concerning.  I know some say that things are great, but this, in combination with other things, doesn't look to good (at least from the outside looking in).  I hope I'm wrong and that things improve.  I guess time will tell.   

razorbackrob

So much to say, but I'm not.

Jimbo Morphis

HoopKing

papaeagle

I agree and a 1+ for you and so well stated from someone who recently went thru what student "athletes" go thru. Sadly it changes from year to year (not the coaches fault) as result of perhaps big personality differences in the following class, less parent control, more egos, less RESPECT as you mentioned and too much swagger for sure. The worst thing is for an athlete to THINK he is SO good and blame the coach for a loss rather than a lack of leadership and aggressive play on the part of the team, especially Seniors without leadership. It is more prevalent in small 2A and 3A classifications since the lack of numbers out for football puts the coach in a big "bind" to be too nice sometimes and having to please parents if the team loses. "Oh it's not my son's fault, etc etc)"  Bull... The world is constantly changing, and as a result more immature, electronic-cell phone minded students lose track of integrity, trust and RESPECT for coaches, administration and THEIR own parents. Nuff said but the 1+ for this poster is SO deserved and comes from a YOUNG person who should know the climate in today's small schools... TU for reading.  :-\

Bildo

You gotta take a look around geographically around Carlisle. We are a 2A school that is 25 miles from Little Rock and basically a stepping stone for coaches. You only get long term coaches if they have a family with kids that want to attend the school.  It's hard to keep coaches. As a school competing with bigger schools, it is hard to compete. In your line of work, do you want more or want to do better?  Probably something not many people consider or think about but it is a struggle

Dayton Kitchens

If the ball had bounced differently a few times Carlisle could easily have two or three state titles in their trophy case.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas