• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Discuss the Round 13 AND 14 games in the 5A West (Feb 25 and 28) here!

Started by sevenof400, February 23, 2014, 11:29:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenof400

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on February 26, 2014, 06:31:04 pm
Quote from: sevenof400 on February 26, 2014, 06:29:58 pm
All possibilities are in play for sure, Diehard...  How are you doing today?
I am okay seven....thank you for asking.:)

How are you?  :)

Doing okay as well.

While I hate to see an end to the basketball season, I am ready for spring sports to begin - that's for sure!

DogsWin7

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 26, 2014, 06:43:21 pm
Quote from: DiehardFBfan on February 26, 2014, 06:31:04 pm
Quote from: sevenof400 on February 26, 2014, 06:29:58 pm
All possibilities are in play for sure, Diehard...  How are you doing today?
I am okay seven....thank you for asking.:)

How are you?  :)

Doing okay as well.

While I hate to see an end to the basketball season, I am ready for spring sports to begin - that's for sure!

I know.....you are ready for the other sport that shall not be named in Alma...:)   Track should be rather interesting this year as well. 

sevenof400

We, in Vilonia, are always ready for track!

This could be a very interesting spring here in V.

Rick Perry

Quote from: Hogskin on February 26, 2014, 01:15:44 pm
7th in conf is not an improvement and Weaver and Stanley riding the pine is a joke. Outside of Wilkins the team was not very good but the seniors got to play so Parents are happy.

Probably will be 5th in conf

They  beat Clarksville?   Great point

Go Postal

Ah yes, Spring Sports.  Love them, but some of the 5A West moments from all sports last season...

Alma, Harrison and Clarksville made it to the semis in Basketball.  But Alma lost in the finals.

Vilonia won their 2nd straight State Championship in Track.

Vilonia and Harrison made it to the finals in Baseball.  But lost in the finals.

Harrison boys beat four straight time 4A State Champs De Queen (now 5A and were undefeated in their 5A South conference) in the semis.  Both Harrison boys/girls and Shiloh Christian girls made it to the finals in "that sport that shalt not be named in Alma".  Shiloh girls get their first State Championship.

(Side note: Harrison boys/girls had a chance to get 10 and/or 11 championships to pass being tied with PA boys/girls and be 1st in the State on the most Overall Boys/Girls State Champions In All Conferences, but it didn't happen.  Instead, 6A Searcy boys/girls both won their finals (both beat our old pals, Siloam Springs) and passed Harrison and PA with 10 championships.)
1998 to present record as follows...

Overall State Boys/Girls Championships for all Conferences
10 Searcy (6B / 4G)
9 Harrison (6B / 3G)
9 Pulaski Academy (3B / 6G)
6 Bentonville (1B / 5G)
6 Central Arkansas Christian (1B / 5G)
5 Fayetteville (1B / 4G)
5 Little Rock Christian (3B / 2G) (will be coming to 5A West next cycle)
5 LR Catholic (5B)
4 De Queen (4B) (now in the 5A South)
3 Rogers (3G)
3 Conway (2B / 1G)
2 Russellville (1B / 1G)
2 Springdale (2B)
2 Siloam Springs (2B) (while in the 5A West)
2 LR Central (2G)
2 St. Joseph, Conway (2G)
2 Mountain Home (2G)
1 North Little Rock (1B)
1 Shiloh Christian (1G)
1 Valley View (1B) (will be coming to 5A East next cycle)
1 Ft Smith Northside (1B)
1 Clarksville (1B) (now in the 5A West)
1 Mount St Mary (1G)

Now we have started a new season.  So far...
Harrison boys won State Championship in Cross Country.

Alma and Morrilton go to the semis in Football.  Morrilton wins State Championship.

Clarksville and Morrilton will probably be favorites in the boys Basketball playoffs with Alma/Harrison also getting in the playoffs.  Vilonia girls have done a fantastic job so far this Basketball season.  Same with Huntsville/Harrison girls.  Outcome still pending on this boys/girls sport.

I'm glad that the Goblins and Lady Goblins play in the 5A West.  Nobody from the West ever said that it will be a "easy street".  West teams welcome the "hard road".  Our records proves this in any sport, nice resume'.  The West teams are the ones to beat in any sport, just bring it!

Ah yes, Spring Sports around the corner...

Go Postal

Hogskin

I agree coach threw in the towel for the benifit of the seniors and parents ,its a shame when parents dictate your coaching but it is Vilonia that is the norm

sevenof400

Quote from: Hogskin on February 27, 2014, 11:23:22 am
I agree coach threw in the towel for the benifit of the seniors and parents ,its a shame when parents dictate your coaching but it is Vilonia that is the norm

You have conclusively demonstrated your complete idiocy.
Congratulations.

GB5Hoops

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 27, 2014, 02:22:52 pm
Quote from: Hogskin on February 27, 2014, 11:23:22 am

You have conclusively demonstrated your complete idiocy.
Congratulations.

Do you not agree seven that the seniors stayed in a little too long for such an important game of the season? I liked that he started them but why leave them in while greenbrier was making a run? And why put them in at different times in the second half? Makes no sense!

Go Postal

(side note:  GOBTV started also broadcasting that "Sport That Shalt Not Be Mentioned In Alma" tonight.  Nice job Goblin Nation.  Some football, basketball fans will say, "MEH", but fans of this worldwide sport will applaud this, especially seeing two of the best Arkansas boys/girls teams in this sport. ;)  That link is on the 2014 Pre-Season Prognostications in that Forum.)

Back to Basketball...

sevenof400

Quote from: GB5Hoops on February 27, 2014, 04:30:11 pm
Do you not agree seven that the seniors stayed in a little too long for such an important game of the season? I liked that he started them but why leave them in while greenbrier was making a run? And why put them in at different times in the second half? Makes no sense!

GB5Hoops,

I can understand why that might be a talking point with respect to the Greenbrier game.  Even if we have different opinions on the events of the game (which I suspect we might), you've raised the point tactfully and thoughtfully.

So with that said, let's move on....

When the game started, everyone knew it was a longshot for the V boys to make the playoffs, but I too agree you play the game to win it because you never know what might happen.  As unlikely as it was for Harrison or Alma to lose two games to finish the season, it could happen.

Before I get too caught up in this discussion, I seem to recall #2 for Greenbrier raining threes on everyone who guarded him.  It did not matter who was defending him, #2 wasn't going to be easily contained. 

#2's scoring binge last night underscored a problem the V boys have had all year with respect to defense - they do not have a lock down type of defender who can deal with hot shooters (such as #2 was that night).  Overall team speed and quickness needs to improve for Vilonia to improve next year and with the new coach now having the benefit of a complete off season to address this, one would expect some development in that area. 

As an aside, while V improved on the defensive end this year (compared to last), there is still a lot of work to do.  A meaningful man defense option would address a sorely needed area of improvement as well and would have come in handy versus Greenbrier.

But back to this game - was the playing rotation different this game than it had been previously?  Sure, and yes some seniors got a bit more playing time versus Greenbrier than they had been getting recently.  But if you have watched V boys throughout the year, the rotation has changed throughout the year. 

In the end, I don't think it would have mattered who was on the floor (and for how long) because Greenbrier came ready to play - much more so than Vilonia did.

Go Postal

Hopefully, Greenbrier will come to play against Alma on Friday. ;)

AT

Everyone welcome to the AVOID FORREST CITY sweepstakes!

I will be at home listening to the Alma game on the radio and watching the Harrison game on GobTV.

My honest opinion:

Alma can beat Greenbrier on the road even if they did beat the Airedales at home. It will be tough, though. Greenbrier might as well treat this as their championship game (unless that's how they treated the Vilonia one), and it's senior night for the Panthers. Alma does have some matchup problems with their length at most positions, but I think Coach Flenor will adjust this time around.

The Harrison-Morrilton game. Honestly, Harrison beating Morrilton seems like a 50/50 thing to me....at least 60/40 in favor of Morrilton. I am glad that Clarksville beat Motown because if they hadn't, Motown would have nothing to play for tonight. On the other hand, I wonder if Motown will be thinking "Even if we win, we will still be the 2 seed." I hope the Devil Dogs come out with some intensity tonight and play like it means something. Harrison has been playing better in the back stretch after the Vilonia game, too.

So yes, I do think it will be difficult for both Alma to win and Harrison to lose, but I do think it's possible. 

If you put the Alma beating Greenbrier at a probability of .5 and Morrilton beating Harrison at .6, then multiplying their probabilities because of compound events (YAY MATH) gives Alma a 30 percent shot at the 3 seed.

I'll take it. Go Airedales!

And the girls game is simple. Win and you're in.

Go Airedalettes!

Hogskin

Off season ...ha ha....did some one forget to tell the new coach that in Vilonia there is no off season. He wont see his basketball team again till November when football ends

GB5Hoops

Quote from: Go Postal on February 27, 2014, 10:45:59 pm
Hopefully, Greenbrier will come to play against Alma on Friday. ;)

You wont have to worry about that! Senior night in the Pavilion, should be a great one to watch! I'm predicting a double digit win for the Panthers, but that's just my opinion.

ahsalum

Quote from: GB5Hoops on February 28, 2014, 01:38:18 pm
I'm predicting a double digit win for the Panthers, but that's just my opinion.

Hahahahahahaa...............just wow....

GB5Hoops

Quote from: Steve Perry on February 28, 2014, 01:40:30 pm

I mean, we did win by 9 at Alma Steve!

DogsWin7

ahsalum

Quote from: GB5Hoops on February 28, 2014, 01:57:51 pm

But in this league.......you should know better......nothing is a given

GB5Hoops

Quote from: Steve Perry on February 28, 2014, 02:02:29 pm
Quote from: GB5Hoops on February 28, 2014, 01:57:51 pm

But in this league.......you should know better......nothing is a given

I agree 100 percent! It will be a battle for sure! Even the game at Alma was a battle, Greenbrier was just able to hold them off long enough! I'm excited to see how the Panther seniors go out tonight!

ahsalum

Alma beat Vilonia by 18 at Vilonia.....then a few weeks later Vilonia almost beats Motown and does beat Clarksville......then we had to scrape, kill and knife just to get a W against Vilonia at home.......

This year it truly is "A beat C by X points, and then lost to B by X points who got drubbed by D by X points, who played E close, who ended up Killing A, who in turn lost to B....etc...

GB5Hoops

Quote from: Steve Perry on February 28, 2014, 02:11:16 pm

Alma beat Vilonia by 18 at Vilonia.....then a few weeks later Vilonia almost beats Motown and does beat Clarksville......then we had to scrape, kill and knife just to get a W against Vilonia at home.......

This year it truly is "A beat C by X points, and then lost to B by X points who got drubbed by D by X points, who played E close, who ended up Killing A, who in turn lost to B....etc...

It's almost laughable how random this 5a west season has been! Every team competes no matter what records they have!

GB5Hoops

ahsalum

GB5Hoops

"I've already had 9 beers so I better not leave."

Hahaha got the ole "it's 5 o'clock somewhere" mentality?

Forrest City H

unfortunately, it's usually Sunday before we know any scores out of Greenbrier.    :-\

GB5Hoops

I'll try and remember to post updates! I just get so involved because I have a brother and players from my aau team playing!

ahsalum

Quote from: GB5Hoops on February 28, 2014, 03:57:29 pm
"I've already had 9 beers so I better not leave."

Hahaha got the ole "it's 5 o'clock somewhere" mentality?

Not really....got the it's a day that ends in y...

ahsalum

Quote from: HackerHog on February 28, 2014, 04:48:11 pm
Quote from: GB5Hoops on February 28, 2014, 04:25:45 pm
I'll try and remember to post updates! I just get so involved because I have a brother and players from my aau team playing!

Yeah. Don't miss JV game. Alma young ins are all world!

Nope.

That'd be the 8th graders.

DogsWin7

Hahahahahahaha!   Those fruit flavored drinks have punch!  Lol!!!!!

DogsWin7

Forrest City H

AT

DogsWin7

Quote from: Forrest City H on February 28, 2014, 07:52:23 pm
Whatever it is, Steve thinks he's in Vtown!    :D

Steve can be whatever and wherever he wants......

He's Steveeeeee!!   :) :) :)

ahsalum

AT

GB5Hoops

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas