• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5a east

Started by Rick Swines, April 28, 2018, 08:40:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Swines

5a east

Nettleton 21
Blytheville 1

Gct 5
Paragould 3

Batesville 2
Wynne 0

Vv won not sure of score.

Monday night will be
1. Vv
4. Batesville

2. Nettleton
3. Gct

Rick Swines

Batesville pitcher Jeffery threw a no hitter vs wynne

Rick Swines

Vv 4
Batesville 0

Gct 7
Nettleton 6

Rick Swines

Also I'm pretty sure p.j. hilson is the best baseball player in the state.

ricepig

Quote from: Rick Swines on May 01, 2018, 06:20:11 am

Like most things, that opinion is up for debate, I'm sure there are other players spread across the state just as good. He's good, no doubt, but without seeing all of them, I couldn't label him the bestm

RabidWolf

Tough to say one guy is the best. Caleb Adams. Jaden Hill. Cayden Wallace. Wade Beasley. PJ Hilson. There are some special ballplayers in Arkansas right now

OB11

The state as a whole is producing a lot of baseball talent right now. It will probably continue with all of the travel ball/summer stuff going on. Lot of guys getting the chance to play at the next level.

Gravelbar

We've played several of the top 5a-6a teams this year and both are chock full of very good players.  Wallace is the real deal for sure and we've ran into Sheridan a couple of times too and they are loaded with talent---they might be the best hitting team in the state, plus, they have a couple of fireballers to throw at you.  This is not a good year to be down in 5a--you can get lit up if aren't on your game.  Valley View has a dugout full of arms, but they are beatable.  Jonesboro has a freshman fireballer and some young kids that can flat out hit the ball too--look for them to be at the top in the next couple of years.  We haven't encountered the NWA teams, so there may be some up that way that are loaded with talent too, but overall, Arkansas has some great players right now...all you have to do is go to some of the other states tournaments to see how Arkansas stacks up---we do pretty darn well.  I would like to know what Sheridan is doing in their hitting program on a final note because they can hit a baseball hard and often.

Rick Swines

1. Valley view
2. Gct
3. Batesville
4. Nettleton

Valley view is very good. The other 3 are very hit and miss.

Gravelbar

Quote from: Rick Swines on May 01, 2018, 06:20:11 am
Rick---we finally got Hilson last night and you are correct I believe...he hit 2 400 ft blasts and threw a laser strike 97 mph from right field to home....he's got my vote now.  That kid can play.

Chin Music

Quote from: Gravelbar on May 04, 2018, 08:02:46 am
Rick---we finally got Hilson last night and you are correct I believe...he hit 2 400 ft blasts and threw a laser strike 97 mph from right field to home....he's got my vote now.  That kid can play.

The first round match up between Nettleton and LRCA will have a lot of talent on the field.

Rick Swines

May 05, 2018, 02:18:15 pm #11 Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 02:26:32 pm by Rick Swines
I covered the 5a east tournament. My brief opinions of the teams.

Valley View. They are legit contenders for the state title. The freshmen French is one of the best hitters in the state. Their defense is also the best I've seen this year. Their only weakness is I didn't see a dominant pitcher.

Gct. Their bats never got going. They have a freshmen pitcher peiri hit 87mph but valley view did get some hard hits on him. Their defense is a huge question mark.

Batesville. The Jeffery kid can flat out pitch. Was between 81-83 all night with a great curve. Their defense is on par with valley view but their bats never woke up as well.

Nettleton. P.j. and c.j. Cleary are two great players. P.j. was pitching 91-93 but lost control after 3. After those 2 in the lineup they struggled.

Rick Swines

Quote from: Gravelbar on May 04, 2018, 08:02:46 am

The first time I saw him play I was meh on him. The more I saw he is a special talent. MLB ready arm and defense. Some major power at the plate. Great base runner as well. I'm not sure how he will hit elite pitching is the only question mark on him in my book

Rick Swines

Valley View defeats Beebe 7-6.  Both teams blew lots of scoring chances.  Valley View had bases loaded no outs in the 6th and couldn't get a run in. 

Gravelbar

Quote from: Rick Swines on May 06, 2018, 07:33:31 am
The first time I saw him play I was meh on him. The more I saw he is a special talent. MLB ready arm and defense. Some major power at the plate. Great base runner as well. I'm not sure how he will hit elite pitching is the only question mark on him in my book
It appears PJ Hilson was as good as we thought....6th round, #166 to the Giants...congrats to this kid.  He'll do well.

Pantherdaddy

OB11

Quote from: Pantherdaddy on July 02, 2018, 06:55:46 am
Did PJ sign?

I believe he did. Can't remember the $ number. But it was sizable.

GosnellBall

He signed w the Giants for about a half a million.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas