• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Not trying to bring up past players but just curious to this question, better player Watson or Roark

Started by Thechosen1, September 01, 2015, 09:48:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonshiner

Quote from: yesteryearman on September 06, 2015, 08:53:08 am
You may get a better picture of which player you would rather have by looking at their college careers, where each guy will be playing against really quality competition.  Correct me if I am wrong, but Roark spent freshman year at Harding, and did not play significant role, against quality, yet Division II competition.  Watson will be at ASU, Division I, playing against better competition.  So, we will see how big of a role he will play.  If he plays significant minutes and does well against Division I, then to me that would say that college coaches, at least the ones at Harding and ASU would prefer Watson over Roark.  The coach at ASU likely had an opportunity to recruit Roark but apparently did not.

It's possible that ASU may not have needed, or wanted a 6'0 guard when Roark graduated.  I do know that Harding goes after kids that have great character. Take that for what it's worth. If these guys had graduated the same year I would think you might be able to compare them based on which college recruited them.

Ice Water

Who was the better high school player and who will have the better college career are two entirely different arguments.

yesteryearman

Quote from: Ice Water on September 06, 2015, 11:34:18 am
Who was the better high school player and who will have the better college career are two entirely different arguments.

Ok, I'll give you that, and I got off-topic........original question, better player, Roark or Watson and who would you take?  For me, it's got to be Watson.  Just a small handful of Class A players have played at his level, Roark obviously one of them, but not quite at Watson's level.  You're down one with 15 sec left, which guy would you want to have the basketball?  For me, Watson.

Backboard Shattered

Great arguments on both side I'd take Roark hands down.  Character and skills and work ethic.  Roark better all around to me.  No weak links wins for me

Eagle20

Quote from: HF on September 06, 2015, 09:52:22 am
Well I know Roark only averaged about ten minutes a game last season for 14-14 harding
As a freshman that is a heckuva an accomplishment.  Good for him!

Mamba13

not so slim shady

If you wanna know who's the top players between the '14 pirates and '15 jackets I'm goin:

1) Roark
2) coach corncob Cornett(in his forties but can still play)
3) Watson

Backboard Shattered

BasketballNeverStops

Quote from: Backboard Shattered on September 08, 2015, 09:37:36 am
Is Roark 2nd on all time scoring list and first on 3 pointers?
Yes. First in three pointers with 398 which is 33 more than second place, and second in total points scored with 3,619.

BasketballNeverStops

Quote from: not so slim shady on September 08, 2015, 08:43:36 am
If you wanna know who's the top players between the '14 pirates and '15 jackets I'm goin:

1) Roark
2) coach corncob Cornett(in his forties but can still play)
3) Watson
Agreed!!!

Thechosen1

Watson in his career has 3,706 points scored and I'm not sure on the three pointers. Might be a new second place in scoring.

Backboard Shattered

Backboard Shattered

Thechosen1

Plus Watson at hoxie his freshman and sophomore seasons played about ten less games then Roark did. He made state his sophomore year losing in the first round to state champs Harding academy. His jr year he did not make state either so Roark played a ton of more games. If Watson plays that many games he has over 4,000.

Thechosen1

Backboard Shattered

If Watson couldn't get Maynard to state and with all of Roarks records and going 4 straight years to state.  Easy pick for me now!  Roark is better in my book just my opinion.  Proven winner

Thechosen1

I'm just proving a point that Roark is not the second leading scorer in the state, Watson is and Roark is 3rd.

Backboard Shattered

I was just stating my opinion.  I'd take Roark.  Just as good at scoring and shooting 3s.  And took his team to state 4yrs in a row.  Better skill set wins in my book.  The games I watched Roark he never cared about scoring as long as he was winning! 

not so slim shady

I only saw each kid a hand full of times, but if Watson is as good as some of these posts make him out to be what happened at Maynard his junior year. Was there an upset that gave them a bad draw? Did he have a bad night? Were they out-coached? I mean an awesome player should be able to pull a class A team out of regionals to the state tourney in most cases. Also, everyone knows that MJ was the greatest ever. Well, I was snug up in my recliner the other night watching NBA Hardwood Classics and it is so easy to forget that who made 2 of the biggest shots during the Bulls Dynasty- oh yeah Steve Kerr and John Paxson- both assists from Jordan. Just my thoughts.

Run N Punch

I just googled up the records and Roark is number 2.  Roark did take his team every year to state and won it once!  I believe the year Watson was at Maynard that region 2 had an awful state showing like 0-4.  Could be wrong but I think that's right.  If you are arguably the best in 1A ever you better be able to come out of an awful region

Backboard Shattered

Hey Chosen1 where did you find Hoxies records at I've searched all over for them

Oldref

Quote from: Run N Punch on September 08, 2015, 12:56:04 pm
I just googled up the records and Roark is number 2.  Roark did take his team every year to state and won it once!  I believe the year Watson was at Maynard that region 2 had an awful state showing like 0-4.  Could be wrong but I think that's right.  If you are arguably the best in 1A ever you better be able to come out of an awful region

That year three of the top four seeds in the region got upset in the first round and didn't make state so the only good team to make it was Norfork. The region did make a pitiful state showing because Hillcrest, Bay and Maynard didn't make it and Norfork got beat in the first round with all the other 3 and 4 seeds from the region. Usually that region has made a good showing at state but not that year. Roark had a cast of good players around him his whole career which was not the case for Watson until his Sr year. Both were great players and could take over a game. Only saw Roark one time when Bay beat them in the finals his Jr year. Saw Watson every game his Sr year and several times his Jr year. Watson is the best offensive  player I ever saw in any classification. He also was a great setup guy for others at Bay because he had the talent around him to do it there. Nothing against Roark he was a great player.

Backboard Shattered

Old ref surely you mean class A?  Any classification?  You must not get to watch many games.  So what you are saying is the best offensive player in any division you have ever seen couldn't get out of regionals?  Hmmmm?  I think something doesn't align.  Especially when that region was atrocious that year.  Didn't get a single win in state!

Thechosen1

Dont really know where everyone is getting Roark is the better "all around player either" Watson's averages his Sr season was 26 ppg and a little over 6 assists a game leading the team in both categories. Pretty sure I was told 4 Rebs and stills a game also. He has some of the quickest hands I have ever seen.

WhatsUrRingSize

If you want to look at the article that has Watson at 3,700 Pt's go to Jonesboro Sun then find archives and type in best under the sun basketball 2015 and go down until it says May 31st 2015 its in the headline.

Thechosen1

Oldref

Been watching Arkansas High School Basketball since there were only three classifications back in the early 1960's. Saw Donnie Kessinger at Forrest City, Allan Pruitt from Rector, Jerry Rook at Nettleton and countless others from that time on in every classifications. Played in the late 60's and early 70's and called Basketball games for 25 years in Arkansas and a few in Missouri including state tournaments and all star games. There have been a lot of great players come thru this state but as far as pure scoring ability Colton Watson is the best at scoring the basketball I have ever seen. I know this is a personal opinion and others are entitled to theirs as well but for me from all the years I have watched he is the best scorer.........not just a great shooter but scorer in every way. Scores off of steals, 90+% free throws, 3 point baskets, and baskets on drives to the basket every way possible from any angle. Not trying to change anyone else opinion but just stating mine on all the years I have watched basketball in Arkansas.  Doubt there are many on here besides Batman that has watched as many games as I have and Batman is really old :)

Backboard Shattered

Well I have personally seen at least 30 that was better.  And I've only been around since the late 70s. 

Thechosen1

Backboard when have you seen Watson play?

Backboard Shattered

Maynard has proved they are going to be in the mix for a title in 1A this year. After seeing Watson play a couple of games in the past few weeks it is without question he is really good and can take over a game with his scoring and playmaking abilities. Maynard is also really well coached and their supporting cast is also underrated from what I have seen.  Bay has also shown they can step up and play with about anyone on any given night and with all the young guys they play that is about what everyone expected.  Bay has actually kind of run thru a stretch of playing really good competition while not playing as well as they did early but most teams go thru that kind of stretch during a season. Pritchett or anyone else from Bay will never put up huge numbers under coach Brannen's system of sharing the scoring load and that system is a proven winning formula. I am not sure anyone in class A plays the schedule that Bay plays and that usually means they are playing their best by year end. Time will tell if that happens this year.  This year Concord is going to have to wear the big bull's-eye on their back and there are plenty of teams around that will be taking aim.  Good luck to all the teams........best time of the year is just around the corner.  This is from old ref when Watson was a sr

Backboard Shattered

Just hard to say best offensive player that ref has ever seen and couldn't even get to state his JR year.  Argument over for me!  Maybe he was a lot better being around good players

Thechosen1

Well it's hard to say all of this if you have never seen him play? I mean in the last two years he's only had a handful of games that he didn't play well in so what game did you see?

Silky Johnson

If he would've gotten blown out than it's entirely different than if you lose late.  Playing with little talent then playing with a lot better team of players obviously makes a difference Lebron and MJ could both vouch for that. Also we're talking about 2 years ago, this past year he was still getting better and we know how the season ended for every team that faced his.

not so slim shady

oldref- how about medlock from Cave City in the early 70's. He played at the U of A in the SWC. And, I mean played didn't just make the team.

Oldref

Quote from: not so slim shady on September 08, 2015, 02:46:11 pm
oldref- how about medlock from Cave City in the early 70's. He played at the U of A in the SWC. And, I mean played didn't just make the team.
Medlock was a great player and athlete. Could jump out of the gym. Played against him a couple of times his Sr year at CC. He was a good player for the Razorbacks just before they came into national prominence with the arrival of the triplets.

Oldref

Quote from: Backboard Shattered on September 08, 2015, 02:11:32 pm
Maynard has proved they are going to be in the mix for a title in 1A this year. After seeing Watson play a couple of games in the past few weeks it is without question he is really good and can take over a game with his scoring and playmaking abilities. Maynard is also really well coached and their supporting cast is also underrated from what I have seen.  Bay has also shown they can step up and play with about anyone on any given night and with all the young guys they play that is about what everyone expected.  Bay has actually kind of run thru a stretch of playing really good competition while not playing as well as they did early but most teams go thru that kind of stretch during a season. Pritchett or anyone else from Bay will never put up huge numbers under coach Brannen's system of sharing the scoring load and that system is a proven winning formula. I am not sure anyone in class A plays the schedule that Bay plays and that usually means they are playing their best by year end. Time will tell if that happens this year.  This year Concord is going to have to wear the big bull's-eye on their back and there are plenty of teams around that will be taking aim.  Good luck to all the teams........best time of the year is just around the corner.  This is from old ref when Watson was a sr
Incorrect BS.......he was a JR.......

not so slim shady

and btw. for all of you wondering. The best year of HS bball in AR was 1992. You had Corliss for one. And, Derek Fisher didn't even make the all-star team that year because two of his teammates were better???- Maurice Robinson and Dion Cross. Yet D Fish was the only one with any kind of NBA Career. I love small school bball, but can we really mention class A guards with Corliss, D Fish, James Anderson, Quincy Lewis, etc. What about Keith Carter from Perryville and Jason Smith from Palestine-Wheatley that both played at Ole Miss? That was when Ole Miss was beating up on the hogs. I hope Roark has a great career at HU and I hope Watson gets things squared away and plays at the next level as well.

Backboard Shattered

True shady!  I saw Bay play Pocahontas County Line and Kirby which was in state.  Watson is a good player don't get me wrong.  Just my opinion I believe there have been many better offensive players in the state.  Malik Monk Joe Johnson and Corliss all were pretty good offensively.  Malik the best kid I've seen in a few yrs by far. 

WhatsUrRingSize

Quote from: not so slim shady on September 08, 2015, 03:08:47 pm
and btw. for all of you wondering. The best year of HS bball in AR was 1992. You had Corliss for one. And, Derek Fisher didn't even make the all-star team that year because two of his teammates were better???- Maurice Robinson and Dion Cross. Yet D Fish was the only one with any kind of NBA Career. I love small school bball, but can we really mention class A guards with Corliss, D Fish, James Anderson, Quincy Lewis, etc. What about Keith Carter from Perryville and Jason Smith from Palestine-Wheatley that both played at Ole Miss? That was when Ole Miss was beating up on the hogs. I hope Roark has a great career at HU and I hope Watson gets things squared away and plays at the next level as well.
I do remember small school BIC Brooks Taylor beat big time James Anderson in the semis in 2005 and out played him and out scored him and Watson could  score better than Taylor.

WhatsUrRingSize

Quote from: Backboard Shattered on September 08, 2015, 03:14:45 pm
True shady!  I saw Bay play Pocahontas County Line and Kirby which was in state.  Watson is a good player don't get me wrong.  Just my opinion I believe there have been many better offensive players in the state.  Malik Monk Joe Johnson and Corliss all were pretty good offensively.  Malik the best kid I've seen in a few yrs by far.
I do agree with Monk hands down.

Backboard Shattered

WhatsUrRingSize

Old Ref has seen lots of players in action he is not saying Watson is the best  player but from a scoring aspect in his opinion he is and i agree with him ( but i have never seen Monk )

* Ask big time player  Marquis Pointer from Jonesboro how hard he is to guard.

Thechosen1

Okay so backboard you seen him drop 44 on a great defensive 4A team in Pocahontas, pick apart Kirby and he didn't play against county line

Oldref

Quote from: Backboard Shattered on September 08, 2015, 03:19:51 pm
Old Ref must not have seen the players from the 90s
I was there front and center in the 90's and saw them all play. Parkview was so good they had a all SEC player who couldn't start for them as a JR......Wes Flannigan was the 6th man that year. Still say none of them could score like Colton Watson..........

not so slim shady

ring size you are correct. When BIC beat Junction Anderson was a 15 year old tenth grader.

Backboard Shattered

Yep that's what I saw chosen 1.  He can score.  He is a good player just think Roark could score at will and could do other things better that's all just my opinion. 

Backboard Shattered

WhatsUrRingSize

Quote from: not so slim shady on September 08, 2015, 03:43:51 pm
ring size you are correct. When BIC beat Junction Anderson was a 15 year old tenth grader.
My bad it was 2006 Anderson was a few days away from being a 17 year old MAN

RedWolf275

Now this is a discussion! In my opinion, picking the best is pretty subjective. I don't think Watson was as good a high school player as Brooks Taylor. Taylor was 6'4" and could bury 3's one trip and post you up the next. Don't know how many points he scored but it was a lot. Not everyone reports their stats to AAA. I also am not sure Watson was as good as his Superintendent at Bay. He was a great high school player. But none of these guys are in Malik Monk's league.

Backboard Shattered

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas