• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rison @ Barton

Started by blackandoldgold, October 19, 2018, 11:37:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

blackandoldgold

Wow! It's hard to believe it's been 36 years since Rison last played at Barton. It was 1982 in the state semi-finals. Rison nipped the mighty bears 14-13 that night on their way to the state championship game played at Hazen the next week.

Rison slipped past the hornets literally in the finals that year on a very muddy field 2-0.

Just shows you many times the difference in winning or losing a state championship can come down to a handful of plays over the course of an entire year.

I believe the last time the two teams played was 1994 in WMS in which the proud bears prevailed for the state championship 27-20 in a hard fought contest.

Hope all the kids on both teams have a great game & enjoy the tradition between the two teams which combine for 16 state football championships, 8 apiece.

MR#1

October 20, 2018, 01:36:41 am #1 Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 09:28:44 am by MR#1
The 1990 State Championship game is probably the one that folks remember the most as Rison ended an incredible Barton winning streak (63 games) as they beat a very, very good Barton team.

Also, I think Rison beat Barton in the 1995 State Championship game as well. (I could be wrong on that one.)

EDIT: Well, I was indeed wrong (but close); it was a team that began with the letter B. Rison beat Bauxite in the 1995 State Championship game. (Thanks blackandoldgold.)

blackandoldgold

Pretty sure it was Bauxite Rison beat for the 1995 title. Bauxite came back & won it all in 1996.

But absolutely for Rison fans, the 1990 title game will be the Barton game they remember most.

panther07

Quote from: blackandoldgold on October 20, 2018, 07:58:10 am
Pretty sure it was Bauxite Rison beat for the 1995 title. Bauxite came back & won it all in 1996.

But absolutely for Rison fans, the 1990 title game will be the Barton game they remember most.

Dan Dawson beat the rattlers of Murfreesboro in 96

WonderWartHawg

Although Rison and Barton have only met a handful of times (6 or so?) it is an epic (at least to Rison and Barton) series. Of course, all previous games were playoff games between two great teams.
16 state championships between them tells the story of how much tradition these two schools have.

#1wildcatfan

I hope Barton is ready for all these Wildcat fans that will be rolling in on Friday night. Hopefully it will be a good clean game with no injuries! Safe travels to all my fellow wildcats!

Roadhog

I believe the 1995 championship game between Rison and Bauxite was the one in which one of the officials collapsed and passed away during the game. It was a tragic scene.

Lumberjackfan1978

Yep they've had some classic games for sure

WonderWartHawg

With a win at Barton tonight (not a given), I believe Rison could clinch the conference title. Rison would own the head to head over McGehee, who is currently sitting at 1 loss (to Rison) in the standings.

Jimbo Morphis

JeffSavagIV

Lumberjackfan1978

Zebras98

Final Rison:44 Barton:12

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas