• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jr. High playoffs???? would it work?

Started by jbtiger73, September 26, 2014, 03:20:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbtiger73

Just a thought I had. But imagine if there were a jr. high playoffs. who would be the favorites in each classification, and how would they structure it. c'mon, I know im not the only one that has ever thought about this.

adaptedtigerfan

It sounds great to me just a lot of travel expense.

cuckoobird

I'm all for it but leave home the 3, 4, and 5 seeds and maybe do regional matchups. I know that could keep the two best teams from playing in the finals but it is jr high

jbtiger73

Yea. At least take the top 3 seeds. And play on Saturday to not having to deal with long travel on school nights. But I would be down with just the top 2 from each league as well.

tmycjy

HorseFeathers

The problem with this...would be the upper classifications(Go Figure right?), they don't play in their sr high assigned conferences....but I think it could be interesting to at the least have a regional playoff in jr high....but a lot of schools don't really care about winning in junior high..

Brian G

Multiple issues.

JH Conferences are not aligned with AAA configurations.
Many move up the 9th graders for playoffs.
Availability of competent referees at that time of year.
Limits on games, quarters and more.

adaptedtigerfan

Availability of competent refs is hard to come by at any time of the year.   Just saying.  Lol

Made

My 2 cents Jonesboro has two jr. highs each with 600ish students, West Memphis has 3 Jr. Highs with 400ish students, that throws them down into 4a-5a size wise. Like BG said conferences aren't aligned with sr high schedules. For 2a-4a may not be so bad even some 5a conferences, but the upper end of the spectrum has Marion with 900ish students one jr high, and I am sure there are bigger. Not sure how northwest Arkansas's Bennie's and Fayetteville's are lined out and if they have multiple jr highs feeding into a larger high school.

Bearcats#21

i would love to have Jr high playoffs and championship. i believe it would be a great experience.

Cats73

In my opinion it'd be a great experience. You'd have to make sure that it doesn't interfere with the senior high though

Cats73

Even though it's not aligned by the AAA conference, I could see it working that way. You'd have to make sure that all the ninth graders aren't moved up to senior high.

green-eagle

Quote from: HF on September 28, 2014, 09:13:11 pm
The problem with this...would be the upper classifications(Go Figure right?), they don't play in their sr high assigned conferences....but I think it could be interesting to at the least have a regional playoff in jr high....but a lot of schools don't really care about winning in junior high..

I'm glad you brought that you...since crossett dropped to 4A, the crossett's coaches had to rethink their entire football program. While in 5A the played a 9th grade game, a 8th game and a 7th grade game all in one evening. They place 20 minutes or so on the clock and its never stopped.

when my son played in the ninth grade, he was one of four returning defensive lineman....that its. Only four! instead of playing those four 9th graders, he played the same DL that he played just in the previous 8th grade game... thus only two ninth grader on the Defensive line returned as a sophomore!

Again Crossett is just learning how to play Jr. High football......and it's look like its going to be a while before we get it right!

Busman

Was in school when there were state championships for junior high basketball and track. AAA Board of Directors made a great move in stopping them.  Jr. High pysche can't handle the pressure and deal with a loss.  They forget they were 9-0 or 9-1 when they got there, only the last loss.

IMHO,  In football, kids are better served by promoting up to the varsity programs the last few weeks to get used to the next level.

Sick Dog

Sure it would work. Think it would be great. Just figure a way certain people can make a dollar and they will make it happen. Would be good experience for kids

Brucewayne

If the schools would agree, the aaa would probably jump in.   This would make a ton of $$$$$ and I just can't see the aaa not backing it if the schools backed.  But the travel and potential hotel costs would be a serious issue I doubt schools would choose to take on

phdefense

Make extra $$$ yes. Make a "ton" of $$$ no.

beach bum

I know in basketball the NWA/Ft Smith area big schools have a regional... That's pretty good for junior high!

tmycjy

how about this for a JR. High Playoffs you take area school and have a playoff system ex: you would take 5-A east and 6-A east and the top 2 or top 4 would play a playoff  for a the tittle and you would be  a north east  JR High Tittle then you would do the same thing over other parts of the state you would have 7-A west play 5-A west in a playoff system the same way now 4-A would play there next closes coffrent in a playoff system then 3-A and 2-A school play each other in a playoff system they may not cut down on travel its a START TO having a playoff system in JR High school 

Lions84

It should work if they are still playing just 8 games a year.

tmycjy

Quote from: Lions84 on April 17, 2015, 02:48:03 pm

No are team plays a 10 games

cuckoobird

Quote from: tmycjy on April 30, 2015, 10:47:08 pm

Try English 101

beach bum

Quote from: cuckoobird on May 01, 2015, 06:39:02 am
Quote from: tmycjy on April 30, 2015, 10:47:08 pm

Try English 101

Me no read much often... especially being from northern Arkansas  8)

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Cuckoo - FYI kind of a long standing rule that you don't make fun of tmycjy's grammar. He gets a free pass.

As for the idea, I believe it would cost a whole lot more than it would make.  I'm not sure anyone would go other than parents and diehards. As someone basically said, basking in the glory of a conference championship is good enough for those guys as that is the highest achievement they can attain.

Okieback

Travel
Cost
Facility usage
Workers
Coaches at for sure the small level being stretched in all different directions, especially if they make hs playoffs
Bad enough these peewee teams get Championhip rings, jackets, medals and things exactly like hs teams do, now u guys want to have junior hi state?!
If when a kid graduates hs all he can brag about and remember is how great his
Junior hi teams were and how great he was In
Junior hi
Then
A: his hs coaches an parents failed him
Or
B: he failed himself and never worked hard

Dumb idea
Letm
Make t-shirts that showed how they never lost and only have up 2 tds ever on defense, that's good enough

Bad enough in Oklahoma there is an ores state championship for the k-8 dependent schools for basketball, track, football (8-man) and maybe base/softball too.

bulldogger15

Quote from: B.G. on September 28, 2014, 09:16:07 pm
Multiple issues.

JH Conferences are not aligned with AAA configurations.
Many move up the 9th graders for playoffs.
Availability of competent referees at that time of year.
Limits on games, quarters and more.

Agreed. Leave the playoffs to the big boys and something to be desired by the youngsters.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas