• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carlisle Football

Started by hogwild_82, June 06, 2018, 04:27:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BisonFan1

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on August 06, 2018, 01:45:07 pm
Thanks.  I recall they struggled with depth after some injuries last year.

The coach was quoted in last week's paper as saying they had right at 30.  From what I've heard, it sounds like they are hovering in the mid 20s, which is a few more than what they had last year.     

Big Dave

We have 2 that are in Basic for the National Guard right now. One will be back in a week and the other in a couple weeks.

Big Dave

I've heard 2 different #s. I heard 26 and I've heard 31. Both are up from last year, so that's a start!

Vtown04

Currently sitting at 28 (this includes one young man who will be back from basic training next week).

Mike Bonds

Hope Carlisle is able to get things turned in the right direction.  It's a program with some tradition.  When you think of other places that have struggled to even field a team, like McCrory, who can return to winning, there's no reason Carlisle can't do the same.

big E

Anxious to see how the Bison look in their new offence.

Da Truff

Quote from: big E on August 16, 2018, 09:31:26 am
Anxious to see how the Bison look in their new offence.

Did Carlisle get the spread bug too?

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: Da Truff on August 16, 2018, 10:18:23 am
Did Carlisle get the spread bug too?

Unless they found some athletes/speed they didn't have last year, they need to run an offense that will grind clock and shorten the game.

bigworm

I agree. Not as fat as them needing speed but as far as the tradition of carlisle football. 50 years ago 3 yards and a cloud of dust and im sure 50 years from now it will be the same. Works well for them.

big E

Seems everyone is catching the spread bug these days.

BisonFan1

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on August 16, 2018, 12:18:58 pm
Unless they found some athletes/speed they didn't have last year, they need to run an offense that will grind clock and shorten the game.

I am skeptical, to say the least.  Carlisle, to my knowledge, has never been successful running the spread and chucking the ball all over the field.  Like you said, you got to have the personnel/athletes/speed to make it work and those are things that Carlisle didn't have last year.  Guess we will see...

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: BisonFan1 on August 16, 2018, 08:39:03 pm
I am skeptical, to say the least.  Carlisle, to my knowledge, has never been successful running the spread and chucking the ball all over the field.  Like you said, you got to have the personnel/athletes/speed to make it work and those are things that Carlisle didn't have last year.  Guess we will see...

Was the Bald Knob scrimmage last night and if so, how'd it go?

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on August 22, 2018, 08:56:04 am
Was the Bald Knob scrimmage last night and if so, how'd it go?

saw where it was 14-7, bald knob winning

Rida4Life

Quote from: big E on August 16, 2018, 02:39:00 pm
Seems everyone is catching the spread bug these days.
Evolution of football my man.

Sonofasonofasailor

August 22, 2018, 12:15:22 pm #164 Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 12:19:37 pm by Sonofasonofasailor
Quote from: Rida4Life on August 22, 2018, 10:00:14 am
Evolution of football my man.

The Des Arc  Eagles Cavemen ran for 500 yards last night and won handily.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on August 22, 2018, 09:12:35 am
saw where it was 14-7, bald knob winning

Thanks.  Will be interesting to see if they can hang with Lonoke.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on August 22, 2018, 12:15:22 pm

now that's funny!!!!! if we had not attempted to do that forward pass thingy, it would have been better.

BisonFan1

Impressive.  Just goes to show that you don't have to get in the gun and sling it all over the yard to be successful.  It's worked for many, many years past and will continue to work in the years to come. 

As far as the scrimmage, does anyone (who was there) care to share how things went, aside from just the score?  Pros/Cons?  Standout players?  Injuries?     

Trojanbird

Quote from: BisonFan1 on August 22, 2018, 07:19:01 pm
Impressive.  Just goes to show that you don't have to get in the gun and sling it all over the yard to be successful.  It's worked for many, many years past and will continue to work in the years to come. 

As far as the scrimmage, does anyone (who was there) care to share how things went, aside from just the score?  Pros/Cons?  Standout players?  Injuries?   
I will share that Carlisle sucks!  Yet another long year. I

BisonFan1

Quote from: Trojanbird on August 22, 2018, 11:46:11 pm
I will share that Carlisle sucks!  Yet another long year. I

Any particulars as to why you think that way?  Did you attend the scrimmage?  Not trying to be a smart arse just genuinely wanting to hear how we performed. 

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: BisonFan1 on August 23, 2018, 10:16:48 am
Any particulars as to why you think that way?  Did you attend the scrimmage?  Not trying to be a smart arse just genuinely wanting to hear how we performed.

I'm curious as to how they performed.  We need to hear from some of the Carlisle locals/parents that post on here.

BisonFan1

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on August 23, 2018, 10:31:22 am
I'm curious as to how they performed.  We need to hear from some of the Carlisle locals/parents that post on here.

It has been somewhat quiet.  I figured with a whole new coaching staff, a new offensive system, etc., everyone would be excited and posting updates. 

Big Dave

Defense looked a little better. The poor tackling from the past has gotten some better. I feel certain that Rowland will get that side lined out. The offense looked sluggish at times. Bubba only had 1 week of practice with Moody, who took most the reps through the summer at QB, out with an injury. Harper seems to have woken up and turned up another gear in his running. He had some good runs. It will take them a little bit to get the new offense in gear. It will be a growing year but I dont expect them to be as bad as some people are saying.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: Big Dave on August 23, 2018, 10:31:20 pm
Defense looked a little better. The poor tackling from the past has gotten some better. I feel certain that Rowland will get that side lined out. The offense looked sluggish at times. Bubba only had 1 week of practice with Moody, who took most the reps through the summer at QB, out with an injury. Harper seems to have woken up and turned up another gear in his running. He had some good runs. It will take them a little bit to get the new offense in gear. It will be a growing year but I dont expect them to be as bad as some people are saying.

Thanks.  I knew they opened with Lonoke but just looked at the full schedule.  Probably a 3-7/4-6 kind of year.

Rida4Life

Didn't say you couldn't still win with old school football, just that the game is changing.  Fans want to be entertained.  3 yds and a cloud of dust doesn't sell tickets most places anymore. 
I still believe that any good team has to be able to run the ball when it counts.  But how you run it has changed over the years.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: Rida4Life on August 24, 2018, 10:06:01 am
Didn't say you couldn't still win with old school football, just that the game is changing.  Fans want to be entertained.  3 yds and a cloud of dust doesn't sell tickets most places anymore. 
I still believe that any good team has to be able to run the ball when it counts.  But how you run it has changed over the years.

Just imagine this conversation.

Coach: "Whoa, what?  I'm fired??!!  Dude, we won the conference and a couple of playoff games.  WTH"?

Principal/AD:  "Yep, had a great year.  Problem is your offense didn't entertain the fans so go clean out your locker and have your keys on my desk by close of business today".

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on August 24, 2018, 02:48:10 pm
Just imagine this conversation.

Coach: "Whoa, what?  I'm fired??!!  Dude, we won the conference and a couple of playoff games.  WTH"?

Principal/AD:  "Yep, had a great year.  Problem is your offense didn't entertain the fans so go clean out your locker and have your keys on my desk by close of business today".

Winning games puts butts in the bleachers, not the offence you run.

big E

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on August 24, 2018, 03:55:20 pm

Exactly my point.  Guess the sarcasm didn't make it to Des Arc.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on August 24, 2018, 05:29:46 pm
Exactly my point.  Guess the sarcasm didn't make it to Des Arc.

i quoted the wrong comment, meant to do the same one you quoted.

gameoflife

Nobody cares what offense you run if you win a lot of games but it seems just about every new hire that comes along the fans, the administrator doing the hiring all start talking spread game.  Same reasons always stated, we need to put butts in the seats, then they dont win because they don't have the necessary ingredients and they start looking for another new coach in a couple of years.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: gameoflife on August 30, 2018, 08:55:23 pm
Nobody cares what offense you run if you win a lot of games but it seems just about every new hire that comes along the fans, the administrator doing the hiring all start talking spread game.  Same reasons always stated, we need to put butts in the seats, then they dont win because they don't have the necessary ingredients and they start looking for another new coach in a couple of years.

That seems like a a very accurate assumption.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on August 24, 2018, 03:55:20 pm
most definitely, Most fans will come and watch their team no matter the offence  their running when they are winning and lots of fans will come win or lose

Sonofasonofasailor

Saw a season preview for both Lonoke and Carlisle and noted Lonoke will start twelve seniors while Carlisle only has six seniors on the squad. 

Bildo

The disparity in numbers is in direct correlation to 4A vs 2A. Lonoke just has more kids to choose from.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: Bildo on August 31, 2018, 08:09:51 am
The disparity in numbers is in direct correlation to 4A vs 2A. Lonoke just has more kids to choose from.

Thanks, Captain Obvious, and that's the point.  With that big a disparity, Carlisle will be swimming upstream all night. I saw the game last year and it was a glorified scrimmage for Lonoke while Carlisle got some guys hurt. Other than a big gate, I don't see where either team benefits from playing this game. 

Lions84

Best of luck to the Scourge of the Grand Prairie.

Bildo

August 31, 2018, 01:04:17 pm #187 Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 01:12:35 pm by Bildo
Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on August 31, 2018, 08:23:47 am
Thanks, Captain Obvious, and that's the point.  With that big a disparity, Carlisle will be swimming upstream all night. I saw the game last year and it was a glorified scrimmage for Lonoke while Carlisle got some guys hurt. Other than a big gate, I don't see where either team benefits from playing this game.
Sounds like someone got upset a wittle bit.

Bildo

I'll be sure to pass along to the fans, players, faculty and administration of each school that the game shouldn't be played because you said so. I'm sure your opinion carries a lot of weight.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: Bildo on August 31, 2018, 01:14:07 pm
I'll be sure to pass along to the fans, players, faculty and administration of each school that the game shouldn't be played because you said so. I'm sure your opinion carries a lot of weight.

37-0 final with the mercy rule/running clock in effect early in the 3rd makes it a combined 79-6 over the past two years.  That kinda makes my point that neither team gains anything from games like this.

Old Scrapper

Carlisle is in down cycle right now but a few years back this would be a game for sure! It will come back around.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: Old Scrapper on August 31, 2018, 09:53:11 pm
Carlisle is in down cycle right now but a few years back this would be a game for sure! It will come back around.

Hope you're right but I hear enrollment has been declining.  They may not have the numbers to be what they once were.

BisonFan1

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on August 31, 2018, 09:51:11 pm
37-0 final with the mercy rule/running clock in effect early in the 3rd makes it a combined 79-6 over the past two years.  That kinda makes my point that neither team gains anything from games like this.

While I didn't think we would win, I thought it would be a lot closer than 37-0.  To be honest, it could have been much worse than that and, in my opinion, that Lonoke team wasn't nearly as talented as the one they had last year.  Carlisle, I bet, didn't have 50 yards of total offense.  They couldn't do anything.  Lonoke, on the other hand, was knocking off 10 plus yards a pop.  But, hey, at least we are throwing the ball now, so all is well.   

Bildo

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on August 31, 2018, 09:51:11 pm
So why not go back 3 years. Oh I know... it doesn't align with what you're saying.  Carlisle had Lonoke beat for 3 quarters and should've won... ended up losing by 13. Did you ever play anything? Better yet... were you good enough to compete? Using your mindset, Arkansas should not play Alabama (or just about anyone in the SEC right now) Don't even try or suit up... You get better by playing better competition. You don't go into a game saying "I don't have a chance". Ask any one of the kids that played the game last night and I'll promise you they're better because of it.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: BisonFan1 on September 01, 2018, 09:18:14 am
While I didn't think we would win, I thought it would be a lot closer than 37-0.  To be honest, it could have been much worse than that and, in my opinion, that Lonoke team wasn't nearly as talented as the one they had last year.  Carlisle, I bet, didn't have 50 yards of total offense.  They couldn't do anything.  Lonoke, on the other hand, was knocking off 10 plus yards a pop.  But, hey, at least we are throwing the ball now, so all is well.   

You are correct.

Lonoke's defense limited Carlisle to only 13 total yards.
Bison quarterback Eli Moody completed 8 of 12 passes for 23 yards. The Bison had minus-10 yards rushing.
"It didn't feel like we had a single first down the whole game," said first-year Carlisle coach Caleb Shock. "We didn't move the ball well on offense. We didn't block well. We tried to run plays and Lonoke's whole defensive line is in our backfield every play.
"As coaches, we didn't do our job getting us ready for our opponent the way that we should have."

gameoflife

Are you guys running the spread?

BisonFan1

Quote from: gameoflife on September 02, 2018, 04:03:25 pm
Are you guys running the spread?

Yes and it wasn't pretty (only 13 total yards of offense), but it was the first game in a new system, under new coaches.  Hopefully, it will get better.  I think what concerned me more was just an overall lack of effort and energy.  Linemen, on both sides of the ball, not even firing off, players on kickoff return that wouldn't block for each other, little to no physicality, etc.  Overall, not a lot of positives to take away from this one...

big E

The problem a lot of times with the spread is it's not a physical offence,  it's hard in 2a ball to turn the switch on and off , be physical on defence and not on offence. The whole concept of the spread is to get your athletes in space to use there speed. If you dont have any speed then it dont work very well.

BisonFan1

Quote from: big E on September 02, 2018, 06:47:56 pm
The problem a lot of times with the spread is it's not a physical offence,  it's hard in 2a ball to turn the switch on and off , be physical on defence and not on offence. The whole concept of the spread is to get your athletes in space to use there speed. If you dont have any speed then it dont work very well.

Which is why I think trying to run the spread is a waste of time for Carlisle.  They are better fit for three yards and cloud of dust. 

big E

You definitely have to find a system that fits your kids skill set. Spread blocking 8s easier for the linemen,  but you have to have a qb that can throw it and receivers that can catch it.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas