• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

8AA 2017

Started by SOUTHARK99, April 13, 2017, 05:58:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Proud Buckaroo

I just don't see there being much room for a track at JC field.

Backwoods Bart

Quote from: bleudog on June 17, 2017, 09:15:27 am
Well Cheek, your lack of FF signature and personal text makes your affiliation hard to determine.  I was assuming you might have been a fan of a 2A team that hadn't been to the border town since the upgrades.

A track would be nice, but Carpenter has done pretty well without one.  Hey, the lights, crowd rail, fencing and visitor bleachers were install to accommodate a track one day.  Who knows?

While they come in handy at times, I'm not a real fan of artificial surfaces.  I'm somewhat familiar with the structure of the deal that brought one to El Dorado, but those resources aren't usually available to schools operating in less populated communities.  Plus, those things usually only last 8-12 years, and while the prep work would be less expensive then, there will be replacement costs.

It's really sad that high school Track and Field has become a casualty of modern day stressed school budgets. I remember back in the 70's at Fordyce, they had the Redbug Relays. It was so big of an event, there was hardly enough room to park the buses from schools that participated. I was walking there a while back when a man wizzed by me on a bicycle, and I thought, if he had done that in 76', he would have been arrested. No joke! He would have went to jail.
Where is the school $$ going, that Track & Field had to be sacrificed for? Too many teachers assistants for one thing. There was no such of a person back in the 70's, but the schools are full of them these days. Bring Track back!

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Backwoods Bart

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on June 17, 2017, 09:49:37 am
Huh?

Referring to Des Arc refusing to move it's playoff game with Bearden during the Hurricane, when everyone else moved their games to turf.
Bearden coach should have refused to play on it that night (for safety reasons). Everyone knows the only way you stopped them them Bear's, was to slow them down. Bearden had held JC to less than a TD in conference play. You got your answer @ WMS with JC, with a fast team that was not slowed down by mud.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: Backwoods Bart on June 17, 2017, 09:45:24 am
It's really sad that high school Track and Field has become a casualty of modern day stressed school budgets. I remember back in the 70's at Fordyce, they had the Redbug Relays. It was so big of an event, there was hardly enough room to park the buses from schools that participated. I was walking there a while back when a man wizzed by me on a bicycle, and I thought, if he had done that in 76', he would have been arrested. No joke! He would have went to jail.
Where is the school $$ going, that Track & Field had to be sacrificed for? Too many teachers assistants for one thing. There was no such of a person back in the 70's, but the schools are full of them these days. Bring Track back!

Do you realize how much of a shortage of teachers there is in this area? That's why a lot of teachers have assistants. You cannot tell me schools money is going to teachers or teachers assistants.

Think about this point. How many schools that are very close to other communities that have closed down. This is resulting is much more travel for smaller schools. Teachers or assistants are far from the issue when it comes to money..

Backwoods Bart

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on June 17, 2017, 10:05:37 am
Do you realize how much of a shortage of teachers there is in this area? That's why a lot of teachers have assistants. You cannot tell me schools money is going to teachers or teachers assistants.

Think about this point. How many schools that are very close to other communities that have closed down. This is resulting is much more travel for smaller schools. Teachers or assistants are far from the issue when it comes to money..

Why is there a shortage of teachers? Answer that, and you have your answer.

Proud Buckaroo

Not to mention football, basketball and baseball/softball have become more important sports. Track isn't as it used to be. JC isn't the only school without a track. Charleston has a brand new field, brand new everything and yet they don't even HAVE a track program.

BigLion10

Good lord that was like 5 years ago pick haha

Proud Buckaroo

Because not many people around here want to spend 4-6 years in college. Get a job and make 30-34k a year. It shouldn't be always about the money though. My wife just graduated with her degree in early childhood development/K6. She isn't doing it because it pays well. She's doing it for the kids and this is her dream career.

Backwoods Bart

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on June 17, 2017, 10:10:31 am
Because not many people around here want to spend 4-6 years in college. Get a job and make 30-34k a year. It shouldn't be always about the money though. My wife just graduated with her degree in early childhood development/K6. She isn't doing it because it pays well. She's doing it for the kids and this is her dream career.

It is an honorable career, and you are spot on!

Backwoods Bart

Quote from: BigLion10 on June 17, 2017, 10:09:54 am

Go back and read and you will understand where my post came from!

Pick_DA_EAGLES

June 17, 2017, 10:15:37 am #211 Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 10:25:02 am by pick_DA_EAGLES
Quote from: BigLion10 on June 17, 2017, 10:09:54 am

He's still sore that Bearden cannot beat des arc in the playoffs.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Backwoods Bart on June 17, 2017, 10:02:26 am
Referring to Des Arc refusing to move it's playoff game with Bearden during the Hurricane, when everyone else moved their games to turf.
Bearden coach should have refused to play on it that night (for safety reasons). Everyone knows the only way you stopped them them Bear's, was to slow them down. Bearden had held JC to less than a TD in conference play. You got your answer @ WMS with JC, with a fast team that was not slowed down by mud.

Safety reasons? I don't recall any injuries. And both teams played on the same field. Wasn't then and it's still not des arcs fault you didn't win conference. Get over it already

Backwoods Bart

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on June 17, 2017, 10:25:11 am
Safety reasons? I don't recall any injuries. And both teams played on the same field. Wasn't then and it's still not des arcs fault you didn't win conference. Get over it already
Nobody moves, nobody gets hurt! That was the theme of that game!

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Backwoods Bart on June 17, 2017, 10:27:45 am
Nobody moves, nobody gets hurt! That was the theme of that game!

Don't you remember the score? Des Arc moved all they needed too.

Backwoods Bart

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on June 17, 2017, 10:33:45 am
Don't you remember the score? Des Arc moved all they needed too.

Case & point!

AirWarren

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on June 17, 2017, 10:10:31 am

Not to mention:
1. You're out of school when your kids are out of school(summers, after school, holiday's, spring break, inclement weather).
2. Teacher retirement is fantastic.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: AirWarren on June 17, 2017, 11:25:27 am
Not to mention:
1. You're out of school when your kids are out of school(summers, after school, holiday's, spring break, inclement weather).
2. Teacher retirement is fantastic.

Absolutely. Retirement is probably the best there is. They may not pay very well throughout your career. But when it's time to call it quits. You are very well taken care of.

SOUTHARK99

Week 1 matchups
HG vs Smackover
Hampton vs Prescott
Bearden vs JC
Rison vs Fordyce
PC vs Magnet Cove
Strong vs Lake Village
Woodlawn vs JC Westside
Hermitage OPEN

Some good matchups week one for the top four teams.
HG over Smackover
Prescott over Hampton
Fordyce over Rison
JC over Bearden

Proud Buckaroo

So... hermitage is actually fielding a team this year?

SOUTHARK99

Everyone I've talked to over there says they are. I'm not hearing of them doing any summer workouts so far so I'd say its 50/50.

HG Hornet

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on June 21, 2017, 01:01:36 pm
So... hermitage is actually fielding a team this year?
I've heard from a reliable source that they are planning on fielding a senior high team IF everyone stays put and there's no repeat of last year. 

SOUTHARK99

PB how is Smackover going to look this year?  I'll be in Magnolia for the HG game I hope they will be in better shape this year.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: SOUTHARK99 on June 21, 2017, 05:25:09 pm
PB how is Smackover going to look this year?  I'll be in Magnolia for the HG game I hope they will be in better shape this year.

They will have some growing pains due to having three new coaches, new defense and a whole new offense package.

BUT, they are working very hard on getting all down. I've heard they are doing very well at adjusting to the new defense/offense.

As far as being in shape... I can promise you this.. There will not be anyone on the Smackover side tired. All spring/summer they have worked on conditioning and weight room.

Every day for practice they run the track for 45 minutes... Go into the weightroom for a while. Then go back to the track for 30-45 minutes of drills/techniques.

We have one kid who left the team and went to El Dorado. Not going to put any kids personal business out there, but he's going to be hard to replace. We have one young kid who will be in prime to replace that empty role. He came up from JR high and got a starting spot on the SR high team the last two games of the season last year. Keep an eye out for him. His name is Dawson.

The offense this year will be spread with a dual threat QB. We will also plug in some read option. (We are loaded at RB.)

SOUTHARK99

That's great I can't wait to see the new system. I last saw them J Jones senior year play HG and Fordyce.

Proud Buckaroo

I can't wait to see Jordan out there for the Hogs this year.

SOUTHARK99

Any news on Rison getting turf or not?

WonderWartHawg

June 29, 2017, 04:26:34 pm #227 Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 08:40:57 pm by WonderWartHawg
Quote from: SOUTHARK99 on June 28, 2017, 01:02:26 pm
Any news on Rison getting turf or not?

Haven't heard anything different since it was announced and in the paper.
So I am supposing that it's still a go...
Will try to find out if they have started work yet or not.

ETA: Opening bids Thursday, July 6th.
They have already marked the sprinkling system that will need to be removed.
Superintendent says plans are to have it ready by Sept 4th.
However, they are still in discussions on financing plans.

Another ETA: Brother says field torn up, sprinklers out - sounds like full steam ahead. No turning back now.

Backwoods Bart

Hootens did their part on financing. Inflated preseason ranking will definitely add 10% at the gate for the first game or two anyway! ;) ;).

WonderWartHawg

Quote from: Backwoods Bart on June 29, 2017, 06:05:54 pm
Hootens did their part on financing. Inflated preseason ranking will definitely add 10% at the gate for the first game or two anyway! ;) ;).

I think they are expecting to make a good bit on the sale of the sprinkler system that everybody wants to enhance their own home field advantage. I hear it's a bidding war between Hampton and Bearden right now.

Backwoods Bart

Quote from: WonderWartHawg on June 29, 2017, 06:58:11 pm
I think they are expecting to make a good bit on the sale of the sprinkler system that everybody wants to enhance their own home field advantage. I hear it's a bidding war between Hampton and Bearden right now.

Can't wait to match up with Rison on their new turf.
Going to be worse than Cousin Eddie on vegas vacation putting the banana down his pants and turning the monkey loose..Lol

SOUTHARK99

Talked to someone in CHG and they said Garcia was going to play for HG this year. He played in Greenwoods spring Game and I think he finished the school year up there. Anyone from HG want to confirm this?

Hgalum50

Quote from: SOUTHARK99 on June 29, 2017, 10:09:20 pm
Talked to someone in CHG and they said Garcia was going to play for HG this year. He played in Greenwoods spring Game and I think he finished the school year up there. Anyone from HG want to confirm this?
From what I hear it is a fact! My sister told me the other day!

HG Hornet

Quote from: SOUTHARK99 on June 29, 2017, 10:09:20 pm
This is what I've heard as well. 

Cheek

Quote from: Backwoods Bart on June 29, 2017, 09:46:56 pm
Can't wait to match up with Rison on their new turf.
Going to be worse than Cousin Eddie on vegas vacation putting the banana down his pants and turning the monkey loose..Lol

If Rison is getting turf, they had better hurry up.  I went by there last Friday and no work was being done.

SOUTHARK99

Quote from: CHG Hornet on June 30, 2017, 07:57:22 am
This is what I've heard as well.
Bad news for the Bears.

WonderWartHawg

Quote from: Cheek on June 30, 2017, 11:37:40 am
If Rison is getting turf, they had better hurry up.  I went by there last Friday and no work was being done.

Work is happening. Sprinklers taken out.

Backwoods Bart

Quote from: SOUTHARK99 on June 30, 2017, 03:11:27 pm
Bad news for the Bears.

Garcia has some Wheels on him for sure! Wherever he is going to play.
Not bad news for the Bears,  just ensures that you'll be able to score on us,  possibly.
the Bears are 300 pounds plus across the front line, one tackle is not but he's so gifted he ties it all together. Healthy & numbers, no sweat.

MR#1

Quote from: WonderWartHawg on July 01, 2017, 12:22:01 am
Work is happening. Sprinklers taken out.

I just hope they can preserve the 'wild onion' smells of the south end zone.

HG Hornet

Quote from: Backwoods Bart on July 01, 2017, 10:34:00 am

Garcia has some Wheels on him for sure! Wherever he is going to play.
Not bad news for the Bears,  just ensures that you'll be able to score on us,  possibly.
the Bears are 300 pounds plus across the front line, one tackle is not but he's so gifted he ties it all together. Healthy & numbers, no sweat.

I told you all that Garcia isn't all CHG has.  I'm glad this young man decided to come back, but the Hornets have other offensive weapons besides him.  CHG is NOT a one man team.  This team has pretty much been together since 3rd grade peewee, give or take a few players.  They have a history together that is very special. 

I'm not going to guarantee anything or run anyone else's team down.  I'm just going to say that unless injuries start mounting up, the Hornets will be a tough team to beat each and every week.  CHG at Bearden in October will be huge!

WonderWartHawg

Quote from: MR#1 on July 01, 2017, 11:57:03 am
I just hope they can preserve the 'wild onion' smells of the south end zone.

Wild onions are most likely gone with the top two feet of dirt they just removed.  Lot of game history on that soil.
Work is proceeding.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: WonderWartHawg on July 05, 2017, 04:20:52 pm
Wild onions are most likely gone with the top two feet of dirt they just removed.  Lot of game history on that soil.
Work is proceeding.

They cut 2' of dirt off? Are they making a swimming pool or a football field?

dawgpound

Probably doing a drain system under it

WonderWartHawg

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on July 06, 2017, 09:18:08 am
They cut 2' of dirt off? Are they making a swimming pool or a football field?

Yeah, just the standard base preparation as I understand it.

AirWarren

Quote from: WonderWartHawg on July 07, 2017, 10:16:57 pm
Yeah, just the standard base preparation as I understand it.

It is. That's what the turf company did at Warren's last year. It's all part of the leveling and laying the solid foundation.

WonderWartHawg

Quote from: WonderWartHawg on June 29, 2017, 04:26:34 pm
Haven't heard anything different since it was announced and in the paper.
So I am supposing that it's still a go...
Will try to find out if they have started work yet or not.

ETA: Opening bids Thursday, July 6th.
They have already marked the sprinkling system that will need to be removed.
Superintendent says plans are to have it ready by Sept 4th.
However, they are still in discussions on financing plans.

Another ETA: Brother says field torn up, sprinklers out - sounds like full steam ahead. No turning back now.

Turf work is progressing. Good news, bid came in $125,000.00 lower than expected.
For some of you posters, it was brought up at the meeting to use some of that savings to replace wooden visitor bleacher seats with aluminum. That is not a done deal yet though.

Monsta

1: CHG
2: Bearden
3: Rison
End of the season top 3 Others get in where they fit in

gooze55

Quote from: Monsta on July 20, 2017, 07:11:50 pm
1: CHG
2: Bearden
3: Rison
End of the season top 3 Others get in where they fit in
AHHHH heck

Yogi bear

Bearden had a coach and a player leave for springhill. I also heard H.G. had three coaches leave any truth to that chg hornet?

AirWarren

Quote from: WonderWartHawg on July 20, 2017, 05:28:41 pm
Turf work is progressing. Good news, bid came in $125,000.00 lower than expected.
For some of you posters, it was brought up at the meeting to use some of that savings to replace wooden visitor bleacher seats with aluminum. That is not a done deal yet though.

Any pictures?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas