• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drive -In movies (brought back by popular demand)

Started by WCD, February 06, 2006, 12:08:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WCD

February 06, 2006, 12:08:03 pm Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 12:14:29 pm by Wildcat_Dad
It's Friday night and the car is all cleaned up and you are with your best girl at the local Drive-In. The speaker is attached to the window, popcorn and drinks are perfectly placed,  the night sky is finally dark and you are snuggled in for a great evening of entertainment and what happens.......

Your buddies, who couldn't get a date, sneak up on your car and start rocking the fenders. Ah yes, I remember the "good ole days".

How about the rest of you?
Wildcat_Dad ;D

(just for you guetz, ole pal)

Lions84

johnharrison

Listening to some of the complaints (oddly enough on the Multiplier board) about how much people sneaking into the Drive In hurt the profits reminded me of the two weeks I worked at one.

I had seen 3 people hop out of a car and get into the trunk as they sat in line and I told the owner.  He laughed.  Said to keep them at the gate a long time and talk to them and see whether they got scared then let them in.  "Just be sure they don't bring in any food and we will make it up on concessions."

Super Scrapper

Oddly enough not much honking when film broke on Friday nights.   Seems like the interest in the movie

was secondary.   Wonder why?  ::)  SS

Go Scrappers

wonderboys

mudturtle

About the Kenda Drive-In in Marshall - Are you allowed to "sneak" beer into there if you aren't waving it around or is that a really really big NoNo?

wonderboys

Quote from: mudturtle on February 06, 2006, 03:52:23 pm
About the Kenda Drive-In in Marshall - Are you allowed to "sneak" beer into there if you aren't waving it around or is that a really really big NoNo?

I don't know, I don't drink so I've never tried it. But I'm sure that people do it.

Guetz

Quote from: Wildcat_Dad on February 06, 2006, 12:08:03 pm
(just for you guetz, ole pal)

Thank you, Wildcat_Dad!

We had fun going to the drive-in in Russellville.  We would fill up a friend's parent's gigantic (by today's standards) Ford LTD station wagon (with faux wood panel sides, no less) but when we got to the drive-in we would spend more time hopping from one car to the next, socializing with our friends.  Probably why I don't remember any of the movies I saw there except for Gator Bait... must have been raining that night.

Lions84

Quote from: Super Scrapper on February 06, 2006, 02:46:49 pm
Oddly enough not much honking when film broke on Friday nights. Seems like the interest in the movie

was secondary. Wonder why? ::) SS

Go Scrappers
There must have been a lot of Love there. ;)

If your in NC Texas Granbury Has a nice Drive in just off the Lake.

WCD

I was wondering........................ in the early 70's Clint Eastwood was the big male movie star and all the drive-ins in my area were showing his movies.

One drive-in had sort of a  Eastwood fest (but didn't call it that). They showed 5 Eastwood movies starting at dust and ran until about 3 am.

Did that ever happen in your area? It was an all nighter on Friday night. The owner made a killing on food that evening.

Wildcat_Dad ;D

Super Scrapper

Our theater used to run an all nighter once a month.   The kids loved it.   Long ago but I think we had

6 movies each night.   It was over around  4:30 to 5:00 in the morning.   It was fun but a lot of work.

We had a different theme for each month.    ;D  SS

Go Scrappers

mudturtle

The Razorback in LR once did ALL the Planet of the Ape movies in an evening.

No matter how much beer you snuck in, it wasn't enough.

Super Scrapper

Quote from: mudturtle on February 09, 2006, 11:56:57 pm
The Razorback in LR once did ALL the Planet of the Ape movies in an evening.

No matter how much beer you snuck in, it wasn't enough.

Now that's FUNNY I don't care who you are.   ;D  SS

Go Scrappers

chilly gilly

Sneakin little jittybugs in the trunk!!!!!!!! thats pimpin man!

Super Scrapper

I think Drive-in Movies need to make a come back so kids will have a place to go.   In rural areas they don't

have anywhere to go now.    ;D  SS

Go Scrappers

Guetz

Quote from: Super Scrapper on February 11, 2006, 12:51:10 am
I think Drive-in Movies need to make a come back so kids will have a place to go. In rural areas they don't

have anywhere to go now. ;D SS

Go Scrappers

Sure they do!

They go get drunk.
They go get laid.
They go get pregnant.
They go do drugs.

But I know what you mean.... they just don't have other, better places to go...... like teen centers, bowling allies, skating rinks and, yes, drive-ins (but judging from some of the posts on this thread they would be doing all of the above at the drive-in too).

junkyard dog

Quote from: Guetz on February 11, 2006, 08:31:45 am
I think Drive-in Movies need to make a come back so kids will have a place to go. In rural areas they don't

have anywhere to go now. ;D SS

Go Scrappers

Sure they do!

They go get drunk.
They go get laid.
They go get pregnant.
They go do drugs.

But I know what you mean.... they just don't have other, better places to go...... like teen centers, bowling allies, skating rinks and, yes, drive-ins (but judging from some of the posts on this thread they would be doing all of the above at the drive-in too).

Yeah, but at least you would know where they are or they're suppose to be.  We all had a drug problem growing up.  Here's a link to the type of drug problem I had.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/singingman7/Drug.htm

Guetz

Yep, I had that kind of drug problem too.  And I just showed it to my daughter so that she could better understand what kind of drug problem she has and will hopefully pass on to my grandkids (many years from now, keeping fingers crossed).

cheap seats

I love the "can we sneak beer into a DRIVE in movie" question.  Great idea.

johnharrison

You know, at one time I considered setting up a portable Drive-in for the rural areas.

Rent the parking lot of the high school for 1 night every other week during the summer.  Have 2 semi trailers.  I has a nice portapotty and a screen that can be raised like a sail.  The other has a projector and a concession stand.

Sent the sound out over a low watt radio freqency.

Drive up Friday afternoon.  Raise the screen.  Start the popcorn, dogs, and nachos.  Collect the money, run the show, run out the stragglers and clean up.

Seems like you could hang around a small area and do shows at least from April through October.  Maybe just the weekends during school, but six nexts a week after that.

bitterrepoguy

Quote from: Guetz on February 11, 2006, 08:31:45 am

have anywhere to go now.  SS

Go Scrappers

Sure they do!

They go get drunk.
They go get laid.
They go get pregnant.
They go do drugs.

When I think of good (wholesome ) places for my teenagers to go..... the old drive-in is not one of them.  They were for the most part...poorly run, ill kept and populated by persons questionable character.  

Guetz

Mobile Drive-In Theatre

Big Surf Drive-In Movie

This seems to be the purview of event coordination companies. 
I would love to see something like this in Booneville during our October Daze event with a film festival featuring Arkansas films and film makers.

Super Scrapper

February 12, 2006, 07:46:25 pm #22 Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 07:51:09 pm by Super Scrapper
No Longer Bitter it is a shame you did not live in an area that provided a nicer atmosphere for such a

place of enjoyment.  As you can see by the many posts on this thread there are a great number of

people that have many great memories at drive-in theaters.  I assure that the theaters my family

had were in good repair and well run.   If we had trouble we had off duty officers to take care of it. 

They were admitted free so  that was taken care of for us.   Drive-in movies can be fun.   ;D  SS

Go Scrappers

Guetz

Yeah, but I have to agree with NLB, they seemed to be the theatres that showed the B films.  SS, did your family also show the B films?

Super Scrapper

February 12, 2006, 09:01:18 pm #24 Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 09:10:02 pm by Super Scrapper
NO!   [/glow] We were in a small town and the churches would not have allowed that but

my family would not have approved of it anyway.  I remember when there was a fuss when there was

talk that  we were going to show Butterfield 8, but we never did.    We were a family theater and proud

of it.   It was 75 miles to see a "B" movie.    ;D  SS

Go Scrappers

Guetz

mudturtle

Once AC was invented we realized those "warm lazy evenings" were just plain hot and sweaty

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas